• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cup 2015 (Dec 6th at PSX) | Concluding the SF4 Era With A $250,000 Tournament

I'm not naive enough to take him against the field, but nobody would take any player against the field. He should be considered one of the favorites and his performance this year has proved that, even in 2/3 tournaments(won 2 Premier events in very stacked tournaments) where people seem to doubt him nowadays. I want Daigo to win more than anyone else, but even if he doesn't his chances are as good as Infiltration, Momochi, or Gamerbee because he's still that good.

I want Daigo to win just as much as you do

FACE

Banned
remember when unblockables were the goto reason to hate sf4?

I didn't know that people hated SF4 for things that are in a lot of other FGs.

Sure *shakes*

Z8OpYug.jpg

"It's not like SF4 is the only fighting game with 1f links."

Or option selects.

Hell, people have already found out OSes on both phases of the SFV beta.

smurfx

get some go again
Doubt sf4 is ending after this year.
of course not but it won't longer be front and center. hell some tournaments still have sf2. lots of the big tournaments are part of the capcom pro tour so you will see them really cut down on showing sf4. with less exposure its tournament numbers will free fall in less than a year. sf5 has to be really good though if sf4 is to die off quick.

I have this feeling their will be a collective effort by Capcom and some TO's to force USF4 out of the main line up at majors next year. I think Capcom wants all the focus on SFV and some TO's won't mind dropping it out of convenience or for whatever reason they feel like. Just a guess though.

I meant that I want him to win more than any other player competing in Capcom Cup. I get the feeling you were just joking though.

No, not joking..... I really want Daigo to take it.

Hopefully we see peak Batman prep-time Daigo because I don't think there are any surprises that should catch him off guard at this point. I just think the format is not in his favor though.

I have this feeling their will be a collective effort by Capcom and some TO's to force USF4 out of the main line up at majors next year. I think Capcom wants all the focus on SFV and some TO's won't mind dropping it out of convenience or for whatever reason they feel like. Just a guess though.

I don't think they will do that. All they have to do is not give prize money to USF4 for next year's capcom pro tour.

250k? I thought it was supposed to be a million?
Million was never mentioned unless you're talking about yen.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't think they will do that. All they have to do is not give prize money to USF4 for next year's capcom pro tour.

Million was never mentioned unless you're talking about yen.

Oh it was 500k and it was for the entire Capcom Pro Tour, not just the Capcom Cup. My mistake.

250k? I thought it was supposed to be a million?

It was half a million for the full tour.

Will SF4 be dead when SF5 is released? I think the jury is still out. At this stage SF5 feels like sfxt all over again to me, so I'm pretty dubious it'll kill it for a long time and not before SSF5.

Will SF4 be dead when SF5 is released? I think the jury is still out. At this stage SF5 feels like sfxt all over again to me, so I'm pretty dubious it'll kill it for a long time and not before SSF5.

SFxT not only had a shit load of timeouts when it was first played, but there was the gem controversy, and dlc controversy. The graphics were basically SF4 and SFxT also shared some of the 25th Anniversary prize money with 3S, SF4, and ST. SF4 was only 4-5 years old at the time as well compared to now where it's 7-8 year old game.

If SF4 gets no money for next year's pro tour, I just cannot see SFV become another SFxT.

If SF4 gets no money for next year's pro tour, I just cannot see SFV become another SFxT.

It'll be another SFxT if everybody drops it after a month. Sure Team EG will be lining up to take the money still, but the money can easily go back to SF4 or be removed completely.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't have much faith in it from what I've played.

Malice215

People still out here playing Super Turbo, so I definitely don't see SF4 ending. It will definitely get the back seat to SFV for a few months. What happens after that depends on how good SFV is.

Most will play both at tournaments until they figure out what they want to stick with. Your lower level players are ready for something new while your top players will play whatever has the money and competition.

What I can't predict is how Japan will receive the game since there's no arcade release. They could easily continue on with USF4 and bop everyone else in the game still.

It'll be another SFxT if everybody drops it after a month. Sure Team EG will be lining up to take the money still, but the money can easily go back to SF4 or be removed completely.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't have much faith in it from what I've played.

Capcom isn't going to remove their money from SFV's pro tour after a month. If the money for SF4 isn't comparable to SFV, the big personalities/players won't take it as seriously. A lot of these guys treat it as their job so they will follow the money.

prizing_chart_san_francisco.png

SF4 will have a much, much harder time than against SFxT. Dalghren has already said that the entire pro tour was invented for the release of SFV and that the SF4 pro tours were really just setting it up. If they want their game to sell, it would be wise of them to put their money into SFV and not SF4. Now, that's not to say SF4 will die or anything. I just don't think it will keep SFV out of the spotlight.

Neoxon

You realize that there won't be a Super Street Fighter V, right? That's the whole reason why they're doing one character every two months.

On-topic, I wonder if anyone's doing a drinking game where you take one shot if someone uses Healing. I personally don't drink, but it'd be hilarious to see how far people would take it.

It's not going to be like SFxT. It's going to be like divekick

Coda

On-topic, I wonder if anyone's doing a drinking game where you take one shot if someone uses Healing. I personally don't drink, but it'd be hilarious to see how far people would take it.

Haha, that wouldn't last very long.

Daigo winning this would be a fitting end to the sfiv saga. He won the first ever big sfiv tournament (the gs one) and him winning the last one would make for one amazing end to the sfiv tournaments. It will come full circle.

Coda

Daigo winning this would be a fitting end to the sfiv saga. He won the first ever big sfiv tournament (the gs one) and him winning the last one would make for one amazing end to the sfiv tournaments. It will come full circle.

It seems like he's less likely this time around to capture 1st place. It's a different world and game than it was in 2009. But it is Daigo, he totally could go beast mode and take it. Hard to say really.

Top Bottom