• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpcnOJtyAU

Anthony Mackie talks Civil War.

n light of the many superheroes being introduced or fleshed out in Civil War, Mackie was then asked if it's more an Avengers movie than a Captain America movie. "That's what I thought when I first read it," replied Mackie, who previously dubbed the movie "Avengers 3.8". "But it's not at all. It really plays well with the storyline of Cap and how he's evolved into his own man; Him doing his thing, and everybody coming together to fight for the common good of man."

It's good to hear that this is still essentially a Captain America film despite all the other heroes.

mreddie

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=119218

Elizabeth Olsen confirmed that Scarlet Witch will be in Civil War.
o-TOO-MANY-COOKS-facebook.jpg

Spinluck

Hearing ScarJo's comments have me pretty excited. I have faith in the Russo's but we should get a good idea how AV3 will be after Civil War. WS didn't have stakes as big or as many characters, so it'll be interesting to see their take on it. I think they have good enough blockbuster filmmaking chops to craft a film this big. I think they'll handle the chaos just fine.

I'm far more excited for this than AoU. AV3 is in very good hands. Are they doing part 1 and 2?

Ithil

The ending of AoU seems to confirm the line-up of Civil War on Cap's side,
with Captain America heading up a new Avengers team of Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine and Falcon
All but two
are already confirmed for the film, so I wouldn't be surprised if
War Machine (who probably would be on Iron Man's side) and Vision
also appear.

Avengers 2.5 indeed. Though I think most of them will be smaller roles with the focus mainly on Cap and Iron Man.

Ithil

I think this will be a "dry run" of sorts for both the writers and directors, since both are handling IW P1 and 2. See how they can handle a huge ensemble, etc.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'm actually excited to see how this film will effect the Netflix shows and AoS. If the fallout is as big as we think, everyone's going to notice.

FeD.nL

I think this will be a "dry run" of sorts for both the writers and directors, since both are handling IW P1 and 2. See how they can handle a huge ensemble, etc.

Posted this also in the AoU spoiler thread. But I am excited to see if they keep the more visceral action from the Winter Soldier. Cap was back to throwing shield more than Hand to Hand in AoU, kinda wanna see Tony and Steve fighting it out Winter Soldier style.

The ending of AoU seems to confirm the line-up of Civil War on Cap's side,
with Captain America heading up a new Avengers team of Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine and Falcon
All but two
are already confirmed for the film, so I wouldn't be surprised if
War Machine (who probably would be on Iron Man's side) and Vision
also appear.

Avengers 2.5 indeed. Though I think most of them will be smaller roles with the focus mainly on Cap and Iron Man.

Thats really sparse on Iron Man's side. I'm guessing the crux will be Spider-man and BP.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...redevil-to-cameo-in-captain-america-civil-war

Awwwww

They havent even approached him to Cameo. Which is weird because it seems like it would be somewhat logical or feasible for hime to play some kind of role in the future debate

If fact Civil War concerns everyone MCU character that resides on Earth as far as I can tell

Just because it concerns every hero on earth, doesn't mean every hero on earth needs to be on screen. They can mention The Defenders, just like they mentioned Stephen Strange in CAWS.

Pachimari

I just really want Marvel to start cross over some of their TV stars to the movies. Wouldn't have hurt to have Matt Murdock appear for a second or two.

I also still don't think this movie is gonna be Avengers 2.5. It'll very much be a Captain America movie.

Just because it concerns every hero on earth, doesn't mean every hero on earth needs to be on screen. They can mention The Defenders, just like they mentioned Stephen Strange in CAWS.
Yes but I think Daredevil works as a better example for them not being registered than any other character. Everything around him was corrupt and his anonymity allowed him to take down someone who he saw as a thread to his community. If he was an Agent of SHIELD then he wouldn't have even bothered and if the investigation included the police force (which was corrupt) then he wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

I just really want Marvel to start cross over some of their TV stars to the movies. Wouldn't have hurt to have Matt Murdock appear for a second or two.

I also still don't think this movie is gonna be Avengers 2.5. It'll very much be a Captain America movie.

If any character were to go from TV to movies, it would likely be Skye due to her power. They have plenty of non powered people, time to ramp up on the enhanced.

Asami208

Banned
That's kind of obvious. I REALLY hope that they can make Tony Stark's turn into government cheerleader/Mr. Pro-Registration seem convincing. It made no sense in the comics and if anything, MCU Tony is even MORE anti-authority than his comic book counterpart. Maybe they'll pull it off, but I have my doubts.

As for Scarlet Witch, well in the comics she has pretty close ties to both Cap and Hawkeye, so her being in this movie makes sense. Although personally I wanted her to appear in Doctor Strange, that would have also made sense (and seeing BeneKhan CumberStrange playing off of Liz Olsen would have just been cool).

Certainly the Netflix stars have a higher chance than the Network TV ones but who knows

What they are doing is unprecedented in media. Im just not sure how far they are willing to take it or how far they CAN take it

I love it though. People are wary of crossovers but at least its NEW. No one else has dared to integrate everything like this and I applaud any effort to take it further

Pachimari

I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe and what their doing and how all of it is tied together. I just think it's a missed opportunity if they don't start being aggressive and put some of those defenders in the movies, as cameos.

Skye is a long shot but I would like for her to at least show up in a flashback or something in the Inhumans movie. But right now, I care more about the street level defenders integrating more with the movies as well.

If they are not doing that, then I will be fine with it as well. It's just what I would like to see happen. It seems like Marvel is holding back.

I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe and what their doing and how all of it is tied together. I just think it's a missed opportunity if they don't start being aggressive and put some of those defenders in the movies, as cameos.

Skye is a long shot but I would like for her to at least show up in a flashback or something in the Inhumans movie. But right now, I care more about the street level defenders integrating more with the movies as well.

Coulson HAS to be back in the mix at some point....

I wonder what the long term prospects of Shield will be. What will they do once the last bits of Hydra are wiped out by them and the Avengers?

With the Inhumans Tie Ins the AOS crew is intrinsically tied with the upcoming events of Civil War

They almost have to be a part of it in some capacity

Searched about and didn't see this bit posted, so I apologize if it's old.

WSJ

Mr. Feige saw the Russo Brothers’ potential as action directors in several episodes of the cult-favorite sitcom “Community,” in which the characters staged epic paintball fights on a college campus. To get the role, the duo had to pitch their vision, while a number of other filmmakers were doing the same thing.

“It’s an exhaustive courtship process,” said Joe Russo. “With each successive meeting you’re putting in more and more work.” Eventually, the two presented storyboards and renderings of some special effects in order to win the job, which paid less than they had been making in TV.

But when Marvel opted to bring the duo back for “Captain America: Civil War” and a two-part “Avengers” sequel in 2018 and 2019, they were able to sign a more generous deal. “We’re very, very happy with how we’re being compensated now,” said Anthony Russo.

Not just her power, but also the fact that she's Quake, who is fairly prominent as a hero.

Huh, I don't really follow the comics as much as I'd like.

Where is she in terms of power levels? Formidable or nuisance tier? I'm guessing formidable if how she uses her powers in AoS is anything to go by.

Ithil

It's not just the big money they'll make on Civil War and Infinity War, it's how their reputations will change. By the time of Infinity War Part 2's release they'll be set as among the top action directors in Hollywood ,with the demand to show for it.

Where is she in terms of power levels? Formidable or nuisance tier? I'm guessing formidable if how she uses her powers in AoS is anything to go by.

She's Avenger-level strong.

In the same article Joss Whedon says he made more from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog than he did from the first Avengers, which is insane.

Slayven

Comic Quake was trained for years personally by Nick Fury, she is is on another level then tv Quake. Plus comic Quake is mentally more equipped to deal with the superhero life.

She's Avenger-level strong.

Nice, so she might end up fighting alongside the Avengers against Thanos.

Comic Quake was trained for years personally by Nick Fury, she is is on another level then tv Quake. Plus comic Quake is mentally more equipped to deal with the superhero life.

There's always a catch. I guess she'll remain c-tier for the foreseeable future then.

Ah well. Maybe she'll graduate to the big leagues one day..

I think it would be cool if Matt Murdock appears on the news on a TV or something speaking about privacy rights or something.

Something small, would do it for me

danielcw

Do what are we talking?

Tens of thousands or less?

It is hard to compare without a timeframe.
Also they weren't just directors on Community, they were IIRC executive producers, and their production company was associated with the show.
Did they get less for Winter Soldier than they make in a season of TV, I can see that?

And even if they did not get that much, the minimum pay would be in the 6-figures anyway.
http://www.dga.org/Contracts/Rates-2013-to-2014/Directors-2013-to-2014.aspx

Marvel may be cheap (which is wise), but they aren't that cheap :)

Cuburt

Yes but I think Daredevil works as a better example for them not being registered than any other character. Everything around him was corrupt and his anonymity allowed him to take down someone who he saw as a thread to his community. If he was an Agent of SHIELD then he wouldn't have even bothered and if the investigation included the police force (which was corrupt) then he wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

It would tie into the story perfectly. Unfortunately, that's not always the way these things work out.

Daredevil's origin in the show may not have been birthed directly out of the events in the Avengers but the timing of him getting back into crime fighting has been influenced by them. They could play more into that thread if they chose to since it's a good tie-in that's been developed about the superhero repercussions on a local level (since it seems like BP will help show the repercussions on a global level, that's not a spoiler by the way since I haven't even seen AoU, just speculation based on his appearance in CW).

Granted, it seems like Spidey will be that local level tie-in for the story, but it feel like a missed opportunity not to include Daredevil since they've given him some real stakes and investment in his city. He's spilled blood for his neighborhood; his own and others'. He's gotten some build up in the MCU unlike Spider-Man. Not to mention, he's also an anomaly currently in the MCU in his masked crime-fighting anonymity before Spider-Man so, ironically, it almost feels to me like Spider-Man is stealing his role.

Won't be a total loss to me if Daredevil doesn't appear but it's definitely one of those instances where I feel they are failing to capitalize on the real potential of their shared continuity by not making a cameo happen.

Ithil

As far as I know, the Superhero Registration in Civil War won't be about secret identities (since basically none of the Avengers have one), but forcing all superheros to be regulated by the government. So Daredevil, as just a vigilante in one part of New York, wouldn't be that central to the act as he would if it were about secret identities.

guek

Banned
I get the feeling that Civil War is pretty much "The Avengers" for Captain America. It's a culmination of his history from Cap 1, Avengers, Winter Soldier, and AoU. It's gonna be huge.

How can Daredevil or Matt be in CW if know one knows he's Daredevil? Unless they put out S2 around the same time as this year. I want too see it happen though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
How can Daredevil or Matt be in CW if know one knows he's Daredevil? Unless they put out S2 around the same time as this year. I want too see it happen though.

Simple. The Registration Act is passed, and Daredevil is arrested by the authorities for illegal superhero activities.

And besides
several people (Foggy, the priest) know Matt Murdock is Daredevil

Simple. The Registration Act is passed, and Daredevil is arrested by the authorities for illegal superhero activities.

And besides
several people know Matt Murdock is Daredevil

But how would anyone know who he is?

Foggy, and...shit. What's her name?

Also. What's the order I would read CW comicline in? I only have to read 1-7, and then whatever other specific character tie-ins I want to read, I can?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But how would anyone know who he is?

Foggy, and...shit. What's her name?

Also. What's the order I would read CW comicline in? I only have to read 1-7, and then whatever other specific character tie-ins I want to read, I can?
1-7.
Edit: Yeah. A lot of Tie-Ins arent that good, but K would recommend you Frontline and the Spider-Man ones.

DeathyBoy

Banned
As far as I know, the Superhero Registration in Civil War won't be about secret identities (since basically none of the Avengers have one), but forcing all superheros to be regulated by the government. So Daredevil, as just a vigilante in one part of New York, wouldn't be that central to the act as he would if it were about secret identities.

Simple solution is to have a scene where Cap's on the run, he goes to Nelson & Murdock for legal advice, and it's a short scene with the gist of 'legally, you're screwed.' Then Cap realises he has to punch Tony in his soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom