• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewatched Winter Soldier. I need the next Cap in my life. Every character feels like they are an individual and have a purpose. They're just not there to look nice on screen and tell a joke.

tomtom94

http://collider.com/captain-america-3-civil-war-scarlett-johansson-teases-psychological-twists/

Scarlett Johansson Teases “Psychological Twists” in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

I would understand that if we didn't already have the awesome Winter Soldier movie to appreciate what she means.

Winter Soldier worked at least in part because it contrasts with Whedon's more... I don't know, jokey Avengers stuff? I dunno, I guess I'm a bit worried that "different" could mean a tonal shift for the last third of Infinity War, especially since I love Whedon's work and I really hope he stays on in at least a consulting capacity.

Also, Winter Soldier is one film. We learned this with Shyamalan, people.

Anyway, this film is the testing bed for whether the Russos can also pull off Avengers, and I have a lot of faith - considering their background they've got a lot of versatility. It was only one line, the rest of the interview sounds extremely promising.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Winter Soldier worked at least in part because it contrasts with Whedon's more... I don't know, jokey Avengers stuff? I dunno, I guess I'm a bit worried that "different" could mean a tonal shift for the last third of Infinity War, especially since I love Whedon's work and I really hope he stays on in at least a consulting capacity.

Winter Soldier had plenty of "jokey" humorous moments as well. Remember, the Russos also worked on Arrested Development and Community as well.

jmood88

Not really. To me the concept of a team-up film works better when, ya know, the characters are actually teaming up. Not having increasingly forced conflict until they get an artificial reason to join forces.

Falcon joining up with Cap, no questions asked, is a flat-out great scene and damn representative of what The Avengers should stand for;
But that's not how it works all the time. The Avengers didn't all respect or like each other when they came together, they did it as a last resort. They were never friends, they just had the same goal and worked better together.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But that's not how it works all the time. The Avengers didn't all respect or like each other when they came together, they did it as a last resort. They were never friends, they just had the same goal and worked better together.
And this is what made the movie interesting.

jmood88

Anyway, this film is the testing bed for whether the Russos can also pull off Avengers, and I have a lot of faith - considering their background they've got a lot of versatility. It was only one line, the rest of the interview sounds extremely promising.

Winter Soldier worked because it was a great movie, not because it was simply different than what Whedon was doing.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I get that. But the conflict felt increasingly forced. Organic conflict would've been great and interesting.

jmood88

I get that. But the conflict felt increasingly forced. Organic conflict would've been great and interesting.
I completely disagree. Steve and Tony not liking each other (which was pretty much the main conflict amongst the team) made complete sense based on what we saw out of their characters in their individual movies. The rest of them not really trusting each other made sense when you consider that they had never worked together before and Avengers was the first time they had even been in the same room with one another.

Hence why I said "at least in part", implying that there were other reasons as well.
Yeah, you said "in part", then didn't list any other reasons for you being concerned over a small quote. Either way, what you said makes no sense whatsoever.

kirblar

there is a huge difference between whedon's inclusion of humor and what was in winter-soldier.
Most of the humor was in the Steve/Natasha banter, and it was all the better for it - it felt completely natural and actually helped give her character in a way that she just didn't have before.

Caboose

Until WS they all had the same shitting framing (well except those dutch angles in Thor) and bad lighting.

Meh, you can see every director's style in their movies. Like Johnston's Spielberg-lite shtick, and Branagh's obsession with dutch angles, like you said.

jmood88

Meh, you can see every director's style in their movies. Like Johnston's Spielberg-lite shtick, and Branagh's obsession with dutch angles, like you said.
Even still, Feige clearly mandated that all the movies have the same angles and lighting.

DeathyBoy

Banned

And Joss's love of the camera man dropping the camera, catching it at the last second, and filming the scene like nothing happened/praying Joss doesn't shout at him when he sees the dailies.

200_s.gif

(Also see Angel 5.15 'Hole In The World' where the material is so emotional the camera man seemingly drops the camera and the rest of the scene is shot from the ground.)

i think we're going in circles at this point. some people will never see the flat filmmaking that others see. imo winter soldier looked like a whole different movie from everything else before it (aside from iron man 1).

some of y'all don't see that. it's cool. it's kind of been established how firmly dug in both parties are now.

tomtom94

Yeah, you said "in part", then didn't list any other reasons for you being concerned over a small quote. Either way, what you said makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, seeing as the MCU is the first time something like this has ever been done, there isn't really a precedent, but I'm going to try an analogy. It's a pretty crap analogy, but I think it gets my point across.

Imagine if, because of the sheer amount of effort required to make it, The Wachowskis had decided that instead of directing the third Matrix film, they were instead going to hand it over to Christopher Nolan. Now Christopher Nolan has just made Memento, which everyone loves, and he's made his love of science fiction clear.

Would you, or would you not, be a little bit concerned that Christopher Nolan's vision for the final Matrix film - visual style, choreography, cinematography, and so forth - might not gel with what's come before?

That's the deal. Winter Soldier is a surprisingly grounded film in an otherwise fantastical universe. You couldn't make Infinity War out of the same parts you made Winter Soldier.

That's all that concerned me about the quote, was the idea that this "different vision" might mean putting a square peg in a round hole.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And Joss's love of the camera man dropping the camera, catching it at the last second, and filming the scene like nothing happened/praying Joss doesn't shout at him when he sees the dailies.

200_s.gif

(Also see Angel 5.15 'Hole In The World' where the material is so emotional the camera man seemingly drops the camera and the rest of the scene is shot from the ground.)
Have you an exemple for this kind of scene from youtube?

Caboose

i think we're going in circles at this point. some people will never see the flat filmmaking that others see. imo winter soldier looked like a whole different movie from everything else before it (aside from iron man 1).

some of y'all don't see that. it's cool. it's kind of been established how firmly dug in both parties are now.

Iron Man 2 looked better than 1. And 3 looks better than 2.

Cap is such a weird film. The first half is very much Johnston while every thing after that long montage has a cheap knock off feel to it. Made it seem like someone was mimicking the director of Rocketeer instead of it actually being made by the actual guy. It's a shame too because the first half of Cap is really great.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I thought the aspect ratio in the Ant Man trailer was odd give that Age of Ultron was going back to the wider ratio.

Well 1.85:1 is taller/more vertical that 2.35:1, which better emphasizes the shrinking/growing powers of Ant-Man. It's the same reason Spielberg shot Jurassic Park in 1.85, to emphasize the size of the dinosaurs.

jmood88

Well, seeing as the MCU is the first time something like this has ever been done, there isn't really a precedent, but I'm going to try an analogy. It's a pretty crap analogy, but I think it gets my point across.

Imagine if, because of the sheer amount of effort required to make it, The Wachowskis had decided that instead of directing the third Matrix film, they were instead going to hand it over to Christopher Nolan. Now Christopher Nolan has just made Memento, which everyone loves, and he's made his love of science fiction clear.

Would you, or would you not, be a little bit concerned that Christopher Nolan's vision for the final Matrix film - visual style, choreography, cinematography, and so forth - might not gel with what's come before?

That's the deal. Winter Soldier is a surprisingly grounded film in an otherwise fantastical universe. You couldn't make Infinity War out of the same parts you made Winter Soldier.

That's all that concerned me about the quote, was the idea that this "different vision" might mean putting a square peg in a round hole.
You've made a lot of assumptions based on nothing. Also, your analogy doesn't work because, in your imagined scenario, Nolan's movie isn't in the same universe, with the same people who worked on the previous Mattix films being involved in the 3rd one, he's just some guy from the outside making a new movie.

Had the Russo's not been involved in the MCU at all prior to this, then maybe it would make a little sense to be "concerned" but seeing as how they've made the best movie in the MCU already, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. There certainly is no reason to get worried based on that small quote from Scarlett Johannsen. If infinity war is a radical departure from the first two Avengers movies, then fine. If they're more similar, that's fine, too. They've shown that they have the talent to make a great movie in this universe so I have no qualms with them changing things to cut their vision. Then again, I'm not the kind of person who gets worried or nervous easily, so maybe it's just me.

Winter Soldier worked at least in part because it contrasts with Whedon's more... I don't know, jokey Avengers stuff?
This is true, I agree.
I dunno, I guess I'm a bit worried that "different" could mean a tonal shift for the last third of Infinity War, especially since I love Whedon's work and I really hope he stays on in at least a consulting capacity.
Well, Infinity War will bring a lot of new things to the table for the MCU (Avengers + GotG + Thanos, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if a tonal shift was in place. Hopefully for the good. I mean, it will close the trilogy, open the world to even more crazy stuff (magic, infinity gems, eternals, gods, etc), probably some people will die, new alliances will be forged, etc. It'll be a lot of new stuff. Perhaps a tonal shift is in order?

Well, if the Winter Soldier is the Russo's Sixth Sense then I cannot wait for their Unbreakable (the analogy doesn't work because WS isn't really their first movie :p).

Why would *this* one be the testing bed and not the previous one? They had a portion of the Avengers team, working together and beating the odds. Just because they didn't have the more "super" portion of the team (Thor, Hulk) doesn't mean they can't do big stuff. I mean, the ending with those
Helicarriers breaking stuff up wasn't too far removed from the Chitari invasion in Avengers.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Not really. To me the concept of a team-up film works better when, ya know, the characters are actually teaming up. Not having increasingly forced conflict until they get an artificial reason to join forces.

Falcon joining up with Cap, no questions asked, is a flat-out great scene and damn representative of what The Avengers should stand for;

that still doesn't make it avengers like...it makes it captain america and falcon like. The Russo's really nailed that aspect of the book from Kirby to Englehart to Gruenwald , Waid and Brubaker. Cap has a squad .

Marvel can I get some DiamondBack action/ cameo?

DeathyBoy

Banned
that still doesn't make it avengers like...it makes it captain america and falcon like. The Russo's really nailed that aspect of the book from Kirby to Englehart to Gruenwald , Waid and Brubaker. Cap has a squad .

Marvel can I get some DiamondBack action/ cameo?

Oh man, one of the first comic-books I read in 2002 was one where Cap and Diamondback go on a date - their friends fend off numerous supervillains from ruining it.

soooo I still don't think Pietro will die, but maybe he runs off and refuses to join the team?

Or am I reading into it too much that Feige doesn't mention him the entire time he's talking about Wanda

tomtom94

You've made a lot of assumptions based on nothing. Also, your analogy doesn't work because, in your imagined scenario, Nolan's movie isn't in the same universe, with the same people who worked on the previous Mattix films being involved in the 3rd one, he's just some guy from the outside making a new movie.

Had the Russo's not been involved in the MCU at all prior to this, then maybe it would make a little sense to be "concerned" but seeing as how they've made the best movie in the MCU already, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. There certainly is no reason to get worried based on that small quote from Scarlett Johannsen. If infinity war is a radical departure from the first two Avengers movies, then fine. If they're more similar, that's fine, too. They've shown that they have the talent to make a great movie in this universe so I have no qualms with them changing things to cut their vision. Then again, I'm not the kind of person who gets worried or nervous easily, so maybe it's just me.

You seem to interpret my words more literally than I intend them. Like I said, I probably shouldn't be worried, I just hope they know what they're doing and that Civil War is... Civil War.

Well, Infinity War will bring a lot of new things to the table for the MCU (Avengers + GotG + Thanos, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if a tonal shift was in place. Hopefully for the good. I mean, it will close the trilogy, open the world to even more crazy stuff (magic, infinity gems, eternals, gods, etc), probably some people will die, new alliances will be forged, etc. It'll be a lot of new stuff. Perhaps a tonal shift is in order?

That's a fair point, actually.

Why would *this* one be the testing bed and not the previous one? They had a portion of the Avengers team, working together and beating the odds. Just because they didn't have the more "super" portion of the team (Thor, Hulk) doesn't mean they can't do big stuff. I mean, the ending with those
Helicarriers breaking stuff up wasn't too far removed from the Chitari invasion in Avengers.
Well, there's the whole Cap/Tony conflict, you're bringing in the new elements for Phase 3, handling more of an ensemble cast... whereas Winter Soldier is pretty much a spy thriller that turns into a blockbuster in its final act, albeit an extremely well-executed one. It'll be a step up compared to TWS.

Well, there's the whole Cap/Tony conflict, you're bringing in the new elements for Phase 3, handling more of an ensemble cast... whereas Winter Soldier is pretty much a spy thriller that turns into a blockbuster in its final act, albeit an extremely well-executed one. It'll be a step up compared to TWS.

Oh, ok, yeah, they'll definitely have more on their hands in this one; it really is a step up. In any case I am very optimistic but we'll have to wait until the final product to know for certain.

I just started watching Community, and can we get an Alison Brie in a Civil War cameo? Preferably in Black Widow-esque skin tight leather?

We don't sexualise Annie, she's very young

I just started watching Community, and can we get an Alison Brie in a Civil War cameo? Preferably in Black Widow-esque skin tight leather?

We don't sexualise Annie, she's very young

I was actually hoping that they'd do the entire movie in a documentary-style with ample use of the Ken Burns effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom