• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Replicant

omg I thought the same thing!

"Fuck yeah look at this old woman kicking ass! What a twist!"

and then

"...oh it's just ScarJo. Cool."

I thought we were looking at our first on screen elderly superhero, but alas.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that it's not a random elderly female agent kicking-ass. When Widow appeared I was like "Oh. Obviously. :/"

3j0vkXD.gif

Nightmare material.

Quick question, I just got out of the movie and the guy who was burnt after one of the helicarriers got thrown on to him whose name escapes me, is that alluding to another Cap villain?

Thought it was a really good movie, but I was expecting a little more from the hype. It was too hokey (understandably so) to really pass as a legit political thriller like a lot of people were saying.

I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else think the action scenes in this, Avengers and Iron man are becoming a little too similar? The hand to hand stuff with winter soldier was cool but the Falcon and Cap flying around destroying the battleships stuff could have been ripped straight out of iron man with stark and Rhodes. This has me really anticipating Guardians of the Galaxy and a hopefully more scifi tone to the next movies. The military stuff has been done to death.

anaron

omg I thought the same thing!

"Fuck yeah look at this old woman kicking ass! What a twist!"

and then

"...oh it's just ScarJo. Cool."

I thought we were looking at our first on screen elderly superhero, but alas.

Right?

Guess Gaurdians will be the next possibility for that. (Save us Glenn Close, you're our only hope!)

Gorillaz

Thought it was a really good movie, but I was expecting a little more from the hype. It was too hokey (understandably so) to really pass as a legit political thriller like a lot of people were saying.

I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else think the action scenes in this, Avengers and Iron man are becoming a little too similar? The hand to hand stuff with winter soldier was cool but the Falcon and Cap flying around destroying the battleships stuff could have been ripped straight out of iron man with stark and Rhodes. This has me really anticipating Guardians of the Galaxy and a hopefully more scifi tone to the next movies. The military stuff has been done to death.

I think the grounded in reality stuff is starting to wear thin a bit. At least, like you mentioned, on the military side of things.

Vibranium

Banned
For the people complaining about not enough Bucky, apparently the Russos and the writers said they're really just starting his arc. My guess is besides learning more about who was after his little trip to the Smithsonian, he plans on heading to HYDRA facilities to get his revenge, Steve and Falcon will find him after Age of Ultron. Strucker should be scared.

I'm still curious what work Bucky did for the Soviets, under HYDRA "SHIELD" guidance, I wonder if the Red Room exists in the MCU.

anaron

For the people complaining about not enough Bucky, apparently the Russos and the writers said they're really just starting his arc. My guess is besides learning more about who was after his little trip to the Smithsonian, he plans on heading to HYDRA facilities to get his revenge, Steve and Falcon will find him after Age of Ultron. Strucker should be scared.

I'm still curious what work Bucky did for the Soviets, under HYDRA "SHIELD" guidance, I wonder if the Red Room exists in the MCU.
Won't it have to? Natasha talks about being "unmade" in Avengers

Dont know if it was mentioned but I thought it was cool that Gary Sinise was the voice of the exhibit. And if that wasnt him than damn does someone sound like him.

I never understood what's happening here and who these characters are. Is it their introduction to "Mutants" or am I missing a bigger picture here?
No, that'a right. They are currently called "miracles" in this continuity.

I think it's Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but I could be wrong.
That's them.

Both of them happen to be quite important Marvel characters too, especially the Scarlet Witch.

Binabik15

Saw it this weekend, loved it. I had seen nothing but the teaser trailer before and little expectations, since I felt Cap 1 was an okay film, not great. Cap 2 felt like an even cheesier James Bond movie with a superhuman/peak+ human/whatever,nerds main character instead of gadgets. Not revolutionary or anything, but highly entertaining I thought.

The Strike team baddies and the Winter Soldier were good adversaries, I thought. Sure, elite combat agents should PROBABLY figure out that you might want to shoot Captain America's feet and lower legs instead of trying to bullseye his shield logo and some of the fights were dragged down by too many quick cuts, but action felt good overall. Fantastic in some parts, the boosting metal arm was charmingly ridiculous and game-y and the fight against the MMA guy was great. I wish more movies had actual fighters in them again, allowing for a real fight choreography and longer scenes instead of quick cuts. It makes it both more impressive AND easier on the eyes when they shoehorned 3d in.

Plot, eh, some stupid things like the target accquisition taking only seconds for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people at once, but overall it worked. Fury is a dick for wanting those flying executioners, as Captain America pointed out, allowing the bad guys to be even bigger dicks by just using a more extreme version of SHIELDs plan instead of being in league with some aliens or demonic superpowers. Even the retired veteran worked well instead of annoying me with overly USA! USA! USA! war propaganda stuff.

A question about the after credits scene: Who are scientist guy and monocle guy (did he have one, I think he had one)?

PS: I really thought that blonde older lady was kicking ass herself and woudn't it be awesome to have a secret agent in the security council without SHIELD knowing? The almighty SHIELD and Hydra duped by one of the member state's own spy network.

Remmy2112

A question about the after credits scene: Who are scientist guy and monocle guy (did he have one, I think he had one)?

PS: I really thought that blonde older lady was kicking ass herself and woudn't it be awesome to have a secret agent in the security council without SHIELD knowing? The almighty SHIELD and Hydra duped by one of the member state's own spy network.

No idea who the scientist is (likely just some random Hydra/A.I.M. scientist) but the monocle guy was Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker, a comic Hydra baddie and former Nazi.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It would have been funny if when the Winter Soldier caught Cap's shield in their first encounter on the rooftop, he just keeps it and runs away laughing instead of throwing it back.

It would have been funny if when the Winter Soldier caught Cap's shield in their first encounter on the rooftop, he just keeps it and runs away laughing instead of throwing it back.

that would be pretty hilarious. and then he just repaints it with his own logo.

is that the only vibranium on the planet or some shit in this universe so far? dumb ass bucky should have kept it.

I think that's all they've got and they won't find more until they find Wakanda. Because Tony Stark had to have known about vibranium because his dad was the one who found it so if they had a stockpile, he would have been building vibranium Iron Man suits this whole time.

Item Box

Got to see a double feature for this movie and it's prequel last week, and wow the first 10 minutes of the winter soldier was better than the entire last movie, not only for the fact that they were able to jump into the action quicker, but everything was just more polished in quality.

...and just like most theater reactions, the audience when the that old lady started wrecking shit up

the audience when we find out its just BW

definitely my favorite marvel movie so far.

hail hydra

At least we got Hyper Charging Star, right? :D
i don't know why but i was kinda expecting to see final justice in there too

I've seen some people talk about a possible solo Black Widow movie, maybe it's just me but that doesn't really interest me too much. We've seen her in IM2, Avengers, and now Cap 2. Assuming she's in Avengers 2 / 3, and could even possibly be in future Marvel movies, she could be in the most movies of any of the 'main' heroes. Her backstory doesn't really interest me, it's been touched on before and I would rather it stay a bit mysterious than having it spelt out point for point a la Darth Vader in the prequels.

I've seen some people talk about a possible solo Black Widow movie, maybe it's just me but that doesn't really interest me too much. We've seen her in IM2, Avengers, and now Cap 2. Assuming she's in Avengers 2 / 3, and could even possibly be in future Marvel movies, she could be in the most movies of any of the 'main' heroes. Her backstory doesn't really interest me, it's been touched on before and I would rather it stay a bit mysterious than having it spelt out point for point a la Darth Vader in the prequels.

Seeing the trailer for Lucy and then this movie confirmd to me that I have no interest in a BW solo movie. I get my fill of ScarJo doing her dead eyed, Kim Kardashian faces enough in the Avengers/Cap movies as it is. I just don't find her a compelling character at all.

Kimosabae

Banned
I seriously don't know what they were thinking with that Council Member/Black Widow switch. Did someone really think that would play better with the general audience? It's not like the switch was integral to the plot - BW could have infiltrated that room a billion other ways, or cosplayed any other member and its not like there was a prior reference for that ability elsewhere in the MCU (as far as I know). Was Feige concerned that it might warrant some kind of explanation or expansion of the character's role or something? Just seems so dumb. They had to have been cognizant of this at the test screening.

Blader

I seriously don't know what they were thinking with that Council Member/Black Widow switch. Did someone really think that would play better with the general audience? It's not like the switch was integral to the plot - BW could have infiltrated that room a billion other ways, or cosplayed any other member and its not like there was a prior reference for that ability elsewhere in the MCU (as far as I know). Was Feige concerned that it might warrant some kind of explanation or expansion of the character's role or something? Just seems so dumb. They had to have been cognizant of this at the test screening.

I'm not sure what you're criticizing here. Are you saying it would have made more sense for this older woman who we don't know and has had all of 5 minutes on screen to suddenly bust out the superspy acrobatics?

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm not sure what you're criticizing here. Are you saying it would have made more sense for this older woman who we don't know and has had all of 5 minutes on screen to suddenly bust out the superspy acrobatics?

I'm saying that the moment was nonsensical and contrived either way. Might as well have gone with the scenario that is more crowd pleasing.

.GqueB.

Banned

I was actually annoyed it wasn't the old lady. It was such a let down. Not sure how they could've done that otherwise but still. The energy just sort of left the theater when the mask came off.

Leunam

If the council member hadn't been Black Widow then we would have gotten complaints about her being a deus ex machina (I believe that's the term) and that it would have been a cheap way for the situation to be turned around.

Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

Blader

Not to get into storytelling 101 or anything, but isn't it more narratively sound for a bad guy's comeuppance to come from one of our leads and not some random one-off character?

This seems like a weird thing to be upset about. Were people annoyed that it was Gordon who arrested the Joker in TDK and not some random cop who was driving the truck?

ultron87

Widow being the council lady in disguise was the only way they could have her be under threat of the booby trapped biometric key, which is the only plausible way Pierce could get the drop on her. This led to the standoff situation that adds the final bit of tension to that section of the finale. I liked how that ended since she gets to save herself and Fury gets the excuse to gun Pierce down.

Kimosabae

Banned
I simply would have been more satisfied with the relative absurdity of an old-lady performing crowd-pleasing judo over the "it-was-really-the-spy-character-all-along" cliche. Not only was it deflating; it was groan-inducing. Were it the old lady, it would have had interesting implications for the Council.

And it's not like certain forms of martial arts aren't accessible to old people. She wasn't doing anything acrobatic, if I recall.

*shrug*

I simply would have been more satisfied with the relative absurdity of an old-lady performing crowd-pleasing judo over the "it-was-really-the-spy-character-all-along" cliche. Not only was it deflating; it was groan-inducing. Were it the old lady, it would have had interesting implications for the Council.

And it's not like certain forms of martial arts aren't accessible to old people. She wasn't doing anything acrobatic, if I recall.

*shrug*

if the old lady can actually fight, than to maintain the high tension for finale, Pierce must turn out to be bad ass fighter as well. so the climax of the battle is going to be 2 elderly beating each other out?
ocefeito.jpg

I'm actually okay with this. lol, even better if the final fight is on top of falling helicarrier during sunset.

I was actually annoyed it wasn't the old lady. It was such a let down. Not sure how they could've done that otherwise but still. The energy just sort of left the theater when the mask came off.

I guess it depends on where you see it. I've already seen the movie several times in different theaters and that moment got a big reaction and clapping after the reveal.

Aurongel

I guess it depends on where you see it. I've already seen the movie several times in different theaters and that moment got a big reaction and clapping after the reveal.

I forgot about this scene but I remember most people in my theater (midnight opening packed with fans and nerds) cheering at the initial turn but kind of groaning when it ended up being BW. The facial disguise tech came out of nowhere in that scene and didn't have any setup that I remember. Kind of felt like a cheap way for the writing to turn the tables on Robert Redford and have another cool BW moment. That's being a bit too nitpicky anyway.

If the council member hadn't been Black Widow then we would have gotten complaints about her being a deus ex machina (I believe that's the term) and that it would have been a cheap way for the situation to be turned around.

Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

Not to get into storytelling 101 or anything, but isn't it more narratively sound for a bad guy's comeuppance to come from one of our leads and not some random one-off character?

This seems like a weird thing to be upset about. Were people annoyed that it was Gordon who arrested the Joker in TDK and not some random cop who was driving the truck?

Yeah, I'm with you guys. It was kind of cool to see an old lady beat up someone out of nowhere, but turning her into Black Widow made the lady less cool. So I can understand the immediate reaction of "Awww, that was a lame switch." But if you think your way through the story at that point, you'll have a bunch of people leaving the movie saying "So who was that random old lady who beat up the bad guy? Just some random character ended up saving everyone? That's dumb."

I forgot about this scene but I remember most people in my theater (midnight opening packed with fans and nerds) cheering at the initial turn but kind of groaning when it ended up being BW. The facial disguise tech came out of nowhere in that scene and didn't have any setup that I remember. Kind of felt like a cheap way for the writing to turn the tables on Robert Redford and have another cool BW moment. That's being a bit too nitpicky anyway.

when I watch it the second time I notice that when world council first meet up with Pierce before the finale begin Pierce ask if there's trouble coming to Shield and the old lady mention a little trouble at the airport. I assume that's when Black Widow switch with the council woman.

vareon

Exactly one person in my theater squealed like a girl (because she was) at Stephen Strange namedropping.

Other than that, solid show. Liked how it showed a more personal side of Cap, and the fight choreography was amazing.

Top Bottom