• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Fury death fake out was a lost opportunity for them to bust out some LMD's.

That would be the fucking worst. A bullshit "way out" for almost everyone to stay alive in the movie universe. Fury faking his death is atleast in-line with Fury. LMDs would just open a can of worms to let Marvel from making any interesting decisions. "Oh this guy didn't actually turn evil, it was a LMD. Oh this guy didn't die, it was just an LMD." Fuck that.

I loved that but I really wanted it to be the older lady council member to actually be kicking ass. People in our theatre were like "yeah!" and then "oh"

Natasha still rocked it though
I felt the same way. I was like "Yeah, you go random old lady!"

*Oh, hey Widow."

But I can't stay mad, since she's so awesome.

When they revealed the Winter Soldier's identity (almost) everyone in the theater gasped, and then a guy said "read the comic books people!" I can't decide if he was being a douche or not. Part of me says yes but I have a conflicting opinion that he was in the right.
You don't even need to read the comic books. The Winter Soldier's identity is the biggest non-surprise ever. I'm shocked that anyone was shocked.

Personally I was relieved that it turned out to be Widow because the idea of the council lady randomly turning out to be able to kick everyones ass reminded me of something belonging in Hot Fuzz.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That was a cool flick.

So...what's the explanation for why when shit hits the fan this time, Iron Man is completely MIA? Was he busy or something? All those suits he blowed up at the end of Iron Man 3 could have come in handy...

It would have been funny if he makes a quip in the next movie that installing Stark repulsor tech in the hellicarriers gave him an emergency backdoor, and that even if all 3 hellicarriers were to have become operational, he would have just flipped a switch and turned them all into lemons.

Drakeon

That was a cool flick.

So...what's the explanation for why when shit hits the fan this time, Iron Man is completely MIA? Was he busy or something? All those suits he blowed up at the end of Iron Man 3 could have come in handy...

It would have been funny if he makes a quip in the next movie that installing Stark repulsor tech in the hellicarriers gave him an emergency backdoor, and that even if all 3 hellicarriers were to have become operational, he would have just flipped a switch and turned them all into lemons.

Why isn't Thor or Hulk or Hawkeye there? Just have to accept the solo movies are compartmentalized.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That was a cool flick.

Hawkeye's probably off on a mission somewhere. Hulk is at Stark Tower probably trying to lay low. And Stark himself probably has no idea what's going on due to Cap's inability to contact him without S.H.I.E.L.D. knowing. And I doubt he's suiting up to face every threat that isn't superpowered or something.

Calabi

See I dont get the complaints of why the Avengers weren't their. They arent like the Beatles or the A Team. They only got together once and that was for a specific reason and someone else got them together because they needed them, and it wasnt really that easy. They weren't all matey and paly, there was lots of friction between them.

And these are(not exactly arrogant) but heroic type people, not the type to ask for help.

fanboi

Banned
When they revealed the Winter Soldier's identity (almost) everyone in the theater gasped, and then a guy said "read the comic books people!" I can't decide if he was being a douche or not. Part of me says yes but I have a conflicting opinion that he was in the right.

No, a total douche if he was sincere.

Total douche. He's not in the right. A movie audience cannot be expected to have an in-depth comic background.

That was a cool flick.

I like this retcon.

Besides Tony (Anthony Stark) being targeted at Avengers Tower did anyone else happen to catch any easter egg names when Insight went live and was targeting people?

Kimawolf

I felt the same way. I was like "Yeah, you go random old lady!"

*Oh, hey Widow."

But I can't stay mad, since she's so awesome.

You don't even need to read the comic books. The Winter Soldier's identity is the biggest non-surprise ever. I'm shocked that anyone was shocked.

I liked the surprise on his face when the old woman went all kung fu. he was like "WTF is going on?!" lol it was priceless.

Zelias

Banned
I'm familiar enough with the comics to know who the Winter Soldier is anyway, but to be honest, even if I wasn't, it's still not that much of a twist.

And as soon as the council member started kicking ass I instantly thought 'oh Black Widow in disguise, neat'.

Zola and HYDRA were the true twists.

Serrato

The story was finely made this time. The action was kinda scaled down (until the end), Cap and Black Widow were the best char in the movie. The Hand to Hand combat were good, the gadgets were kinda cool etc.

What I didnt like : how many Scooby Doo Escape in this movie? 4? 5? 6?
Batroc escaping somehow on a ship in the ocean, Fury in the ''hole'' he made in 3 sec (what?), Winter Soldier 2 times, The Heroes in the SHIELD Car (Again with the hole thing, next scene they are in another car)...

Hydra Plan was Stupid.
They they really expect that no one gonna react to helicarriers killing people all over the world? And don't let me start on that algorithm that can detect people all over the world and know their future

Any large scale battle : Too CGIfied for my taste + Heroes super unbelievably invincible as always
Falcon not hit ONCE by Super Accurate Gun + Flak Cannons? Cap that dodge Gatling Fire on a Motorcycle by driving through them? What?

For a Movie named the Winter Soldier, I did expect more Focus on him.
He is barely in the movie and seems only to be there for his supposed stand alone movies hook/induce drama with Rogers. He could have been replaced by any Super-Soldier/Assassin/Whatever for HYDRA and the story would have been exactly the same. I mean, how many lines does he have? 10? 12? The Hydra Henchmen we follow all movie has more screentime/lines!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For a Movie named the Winter Soldier, I did expect more Focus on him.
He is barely in the movie and seems only to be there for his supposed stand alone movies hook/induce drama with Rogers. He could have been replaced by any Super-Soldier/Assassin/Whatever for HYDRA and the story would have been exactly the same. I mean, how many lines does he have? 10? 12? The Hydra Henchmen we follow all movie has more screentime/lines!

Bucky/Winter Soldier is the personal heart of the movie for Cap. So he's kind of important. I see it as he's not over-exposed - when he shows up, you know it's for a reason and things are about to be smashed and broken.

Plus he does represent a purposeful red herring. A typical ham-fisted comic book movie would be titled "CAPTAIN AMERICA: RISE OF HYDRA!" But no, the real villains and plot are hidden by both the title and the overt story premise. (Legendary assassin appears and goes to war with Captain America.)

Serrato

Bucky/Winter Soldier is the personal heart of the movie for Cap. So he's kind of important. I see it as he's not over-exposed - when he shows up, you know it's for a reason and things are about to be smashed and broken.

Plus he does represent a purposeful red herring. A typical ham-fisted comic book movie would be titled "CAPTAIN AMERICA: RISE OF HYDRA!" But no, the real villains and plot are hidden by both the title and the overt story premise. (Legendary assassin appears and goes to war with Captain America.)

I see your point, But the hearth of the movie for Cap?

It didn't really feel that way for me. It was more like : oh shit, My friend is alive, I cannot kill him! But I still have to save the world, so I cannot focus on him right now. And also, he doesn't discover he is Bucky until like what, the last third? (When they get captured) There is one scene were Falcon tell him that he might have to take take him down and then they continue to fight Hydra. And then they Fight. He's more like a Dragon Henchmen in Indiana Jones Movie, there when the enemy need muscle

Jackpot

Banned
Agents of SHIELD gave some more backstory to the HYRDA takeover:

There are 10 levels of shield agents, with Fury being lvl 10 and Sitwell being lvl 7. All the 8s and 9s were loyal to HYDRA. Public attacks on SHIELD facilities around the world took place with HYDRA taking control of some of them.

There are 10 levels of shield agents, with Fury being lvl 10 and Sitwell being lvl 7. All the 8s and 9s were loyal to HYDRA. Public attacks on SHIELD facilities around the world took place with HYDRA taking control of some of them.

Oh SHIT, really?! So it was a full on executive deal, with Fury basically being there as a puppet?

Dayum

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hydra Plan was Stupid.
They they really expect that no one gonna react to helicarriers killing people all over the world? And don't let me start on that algorithm that can detect people all over the world and know their future

The helicarriers were probably going to go after the highest level threats first, the ones who could actually possibly stop Project Insight.

The point is the algorithm is unjust and probably inaccurate. That's why it's evil and needed to be stopped in the movie.

Why are you using spoiler tags in a spoiler thread?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I enjoyed this movie but I thought it had pretty much the same story as Star Trek: Into Darkness.

xkramz

I love the Easter egg where they announce High value target who would be killed by hydra. They said the hulk iron man and Dr strange. (By their real names)

Can't wait for Dr strange. That's my fav marvel character. By the vishantiii

That was a cool flick.

Iron Man effectively retired at the end of Iron Man 3, that's why he blew up all those suits.

I don't think all the 8's and 9's are loyal to Hydra. Maria Hill certainly wasn't and she's up there, probably at a 9 since she's basically second in command. And I think Hawkeye and Black Widow are 9's at least. But most of them, definitely.

I enjoyed this movie but I thought it had pretty much the same story as Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Please never say that again. Also, it only is the same if you remove the characters, the plot, the pacing, the logic, the action, and the dialogue.

Personally I was relieved that it turned out to be Widow because the idea of the council lady randomly turning out to be able to kick everyones ass reminded me of something belonging in Hot Fuzz.

I was willing to believe it given that she was a SHIELD higher up (and perhaps a previous agent).

Anyway, what is her fate? Is she the only one of them still alive?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Worth seeing in 3D or not? Gonna dip out of work soon to go see it.

not one bit. at many points I cursed my self for paying $9 extra for my wife and I to see it in 3d. There was literally no point to the 3D, everything in the movie felt flat, no depth, not even during the helicarier scenes.

Dai101

Banned
I don't think all the 8's and 9's are loyal to Hydra. Maria Hill certainly wasn't and she's up there, probably at a 9 since she's basically second in command. And I think Hawkeye and Black Widow are 9's at least. But most of them, definitely.

Steve is also 8. But even him didn't get that much info (he was out of the loop for project insight) also I think Nat and Barton are lower but they get high tier info on a basis for their black ops missions.

Kimawolf

Please never say that again. Also, it only is the same if you remove the characters, the plot, the pacing, the logic, the action, and the dialogue.
The first ep of Agents of Shield Mariah Hill says all Avengers are level 7 which is why they dont know coulson is alive and only level 8 and above know Coulson is alive. The two scirntsts with his team are level 5. Mae is level 8 garret I'm not sure l. By ya Widow and Hawkeye are level 7.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The first ep of Agents of Shield Mariah Hill says all Avengers are level 7 which is why they dont know coulson is alive and only level 8 and above know Coulson is alive. The two scirntsts with his team are level 5. Mae is level 8 garret I'm not sure l. By ya Widow and Hawkeye are level 7.

When Cap is on the elevator with Fury, it lists him as level 7, while Fury is 8.

I loved the Hydra reveal.
That whole sequence in the base leading up to it all the way to the missile that was shot at the bunker had to be one of my all time favorite scenes in a movie just because of how well it interlaced the twist via the narration, stock footage, and just general Captain America story.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just back. Thought it was great and much better than the first. His new suit looks badass especially compared to the old suit.
I loved how some of the things Pierce said were used in the trailers; how it sounded like he was talking to the captain but it turned out he was talking to the WS.

He was being a douche. A massive one.

Top Bottom