• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So my mom of all people convinced me to watch the first few episodes of Castle.

I can see why she likes it (the whole will they won't they angle) but beyond that the writing is pretty clever and the dialog is snappy which is a huge plus.

I don't expect miracles from the show as it goes on... but it definitely starts on the right foot.

If you like it now, then you'll probably like it later. One of the strengths of this show is its consistency. There was a moment in the first episode or two or S2 that I thought it was going to come off the rails, but it didn't. And has been pretty strong since.

I actually think in some ways they've even gotten better.

Not the best thing on television, but enjoyable to watch. And the "will they won't they" isn't as annoying as some of the other shows that do it.

Solid return episode tonight. I liked the pick up artist stuff going on and how Castle and Esposito reacted to it. And Alexis in that dress...yum.

Shadow780

lmao @ penetrating enemy lines, those puns are so good.

Legal Alexis, nom nom nom nom. I have to stay fapful to Kristen, but DAMN.

Rokam

Great episode a little push forward for the over arcing story, I'm hoping Castle lets Ryan or Esposito in on what's going on.

If you like it now, then you'll probably like it later. One of the strengths of this show is its consistency. There was a moment in the first episode or two or S2 that I thought it was going to come off the rails, but it didn't. And has been pretty strong since.

I actually think in some ways they've even gotten better.

Not the best thing on television, but enjoyable to watch. And the "will they won't they" isn't as annoying as some of the other shows that do it.

Yeah, I'm midway through season 2 now (Just starting the 3rd disc) and the "will they won't they" is handled pretty well i think. I do wish the dialog was at the same level as it was in season 1- some of it just seems too on the nose.

But in general the mysteries constantly intrigue me and surprise me, Nathan Fillion is still fantastic and Beckett (poor hair styling choices aside) keeps my interest too.

Also, I'm super glad that Castle is finally running into some issues with his insanely perfect daughter (sure, the problems are on his end mostly... but dammit she's too perfect- it is nice to see some conflict, however small, emerge

benjipwns

Banned
I'm skeptical on the way this is going...but I know they won't fuck up the week to week stuff so whatever do what you want.

I thought it was going to be a
hard ass manager guy all over your face early, not random guy with one line
week. Twist was nice fix for that but they need to do something with it rather than ignore it for ten episodes and suddenly come back trying to be epic about it.

I just noticed the title of tomorrow's episode about a dog show murder is called "An Embarrassment of Bitches".

I have already gotten my entertainment value out of the episode and it hasn't even aired yet.

gblues

Banned
Surprised nobody's talked about tonight's episode yet. Anyone else pick up on some major Deus Ex-style music throughout the episode, especially towards the end?

Shadow780

That was a really really awesome jacket Kate wore, something out of policy salary range I think.

Nice comic book tie-in, and she must be using the new iphone because the reception is phenomenal several floors below ground.

Good episode tonight. It is always fun to get asome very serious "shit is going to hit the fan" episodes every now and then to make the normal breezy tone of the show return even better.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Best Picture Ever.

w4ngY.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
If it wasn't for that lousy twist, I was wondering if this was a backdoor pilot.

The CIA people took over huge chunks of the show. Castle didn't make a quip for like ten minutes. And the TRACING IP, I'M BETTER, HACKING, SEARCHING RECORDS fun.

Blech, back to gimmicky murders and subtle corruption plot involving Kate's dad please.
Good, glad they made her a traitor.
If she wasn't lying in the garage, she's not.

I've been hoping since the end of season 3 that they'd resolve the Kate's mom's murder thing by the end of this season. Hopefully now they can and Castle's Dad can be the next big mystery.

I think it would be the perfect time to do it and be great for the characters, giving Castle a little more growth and Beckett'll be there to help now that she's warmed up to him over the years.

RangersFan

yeah i like castle episodes less the bigger the implications are. like the dirty bomb (even though it had one of the best fillion reactions after defusing) and now ww3 c'mon. i agree start bringing more eps regarding kates mom and wrap it up soon, and maybe start on a new plot with castles dad.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't mind if they want to go in a direction to create some "epic" arcs but that's not the show to date and they don't pull it off well at all.

We can't have Castle cracking wise about sex clubs while Kate hints she's into something freaky while Esposito and Parish fight and everyone stares at them. And then the next week it's a massive secret plot to start World War III that Castle's somehow involved in.

The stuff around Beckett's mom's murder was backstory and part of Castle's personal interest in figuring it out. That worked in context, even when they started adding in the escalation.

Not saying I would hate such a "new direction" or it couldn't be done well, I like Burn Notice (which does this same type of thing) and such after all, but Castle hasn't shown me the ability to try and pull these type of plots off. It hasn't been about elaborate plots, but more some fun procedural with some character based stuff that they develop over time.

And this week and last had a lot of "THIS IS SRS AND TOTALLY HUGE!!!!!" without the laid back and even subdued drama I'm used to from the show. The fact that other people dominated large parts while Castle and Beckett just stood there in awe did not help things. When they did these crazy two part plots where ARE THEY GONNA SURVIVE before it had plenty of Castle and Beckett bantering, working together, etc. And this story had lots of being shuffled about unable to really doing anything and left them ultimately sorta irrelevant in the whole affair.

I think it actually could have been a solid normal single episode with the core plot, they've done ones like this before, but introducing all the CIA crap derailed it.

But that's me responding to just these episodes and no idea of where they'll be taking it.

Was not a fan of the 2-parter. It was so dumb even for the show, if the premise is to kill the little girl, what's to stop the shadowy group from doing it again. Its not like the events required for the falling of the linchpin will have changed.

Oh God, I just had a horrible realization.

The murder of Kate's mom, in a convoluted twist, is somehow going to be related to Castle's dad.

Noshino

If they had any balls with it, they would make Castle and Beckett half siblings, and turn the entire show into this weird secret incest thing.

I would watch that, but that's not going to happen.

If they had any balls they would make Castle's dad somehow be involved on the death of Kate's mom....

I think the two will remain separate. Or hope they will, though if it crosses over... I dunno, cross that bridge when we come to it.

As for the 'Prevent WWIII' plot line... I liked the two-parter.

I was enjoying it right up until they started doing the....

"I'M A BETTER HACKER"

*type type type*

"LOOK AT DAT, I JUST HACKED THE EARF"

....stuff. That and all the exposition concerning what would happen to the US. It was just a bit over the top.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I didn't mind the 2 part episode, I just sorta wish it wasn't so over the top. World war 3? Come on son, I don't think so.

Still, It's castle, It tends to be silly which is why i love it. I just felt like it went a little to far into crazy town this time around.

I thought the two-parter was good and fun. When is the last time your average crime procedural had a plot about saving the world from another world war? Nothing wrong with some over-the-top stuff every now and then.

I also think they're going to keep the parent plots separate. There's no reason to think they would make them related.

Top Bottom