• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

Medalion

Banned
Tonight's episode was much darker and serious than the other eps I ever saw

Focused less on Castle and more on the other cops

It was alright ep

Was a good, solid episode. It was nice to have the focus on the others for once. But I agree, it was darker than usual. But still very good overall.

And you have to love the bad pun. "I say we have concrete evidence."

Darker episode than normal for Castle, but I really liked it. It's good they're switching things up a bit more since last season. With over twenty 40 minute episodes every season, it's vital they keep the formula feeling as fresh as possible.

Yep the last episode was more serious. I liked it a lot. And I liked how they focused on one characters story from the team. Hope they do it again. Next weeks episode is going to be good. Kate is so jealous. Lol

Bruiserk

I really enjoyed that last episode. I think castle's story telling is under appreciated. They don't talk about the main plot much, but when they do it's great. Although I am ready to be done with the whole
Kate's mothers killer story arc. It's time to move on.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thank god i'm rich.

I totally wish i was :(

Good ep, Nice to see beckett and jealous and cute. She does that too damn well.

Wiktor

Such a fun episode. Jeleaus Kate is so cute.

That said..damn...is it just me or is Castle really chubby this season?

Sloane

Banned
I'm pretty annoyed by the template they've been using since season two or so. The writers always come up with these really interesting set-ups / killings (much better than on any other crime show) but the way the investigation plays out is always the same and so dull. Talk to suspect, cut to someone hanging a phone up, talk to next suspect, scene with Castle's mom / daughter, talk to next suspect, cut to someone hanging a phone up, make arrest. Ugh. They show way too little of the actual investigation and while too much exposition / talk is a common problem for procedurals, almost every other show handels this much better. On Castle, the cases hardly ever make any sense sadly. And Beckett is horribly written too, in my opinion, but that's another story.

jvm

Gamasutra.
AdrianWerner said:
Such a fun episode. Jeleaus Kate is so cute.

That said..damn...is it just me or is Castle really chubby this season?
I didn't want to bring it up but ... yeah, I think he's uh "filled out" a bit around the neck.

Medalion said:
Starting to think this show isn't hugely popular on GAF

It is not popular enough to bash. It is not niche enough to be lavishly praised. It is a procedural at heart, so it does not really fly on the GAF discussion radar. I think quite a few on here actually watch, but just dont feel compelled to talk about it.

eastmen

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
It is not popular enough to bash. It is not niche enough to be lavishly praised. It is a procedural at heart, so it does not really fly on the GAF discussion radar. I think quite a few on here actually watch, but just dont feel compelled to talk about it.

Aye the show is consistantly good and there isn't much to really add

Medalion

Banned
Is there ever a chance that the previous seasons of Castle will be on blu-ray, if they aren't already, cuz I honestly would love to catch up cuz I only just started near the start of this season though contemplated for awhile to get into this show

Medalion said:
Is there ever a chance that the previous seasons of Castle will be on blu-ray, if they aren't already, cuz I honestly would love to catch up cuz I only just started near the start of this season though contemplated for awhile to get into this show

Probably not. I have not seen season 1, and only part of season 2, and would like to catch up as well. Not really compelled to buy the show, but hopefully it shows up on netflix soon.

PhoncipleBone said:

Pretty much this. It's consistently entertaining, but its nature as a procedural doesn't spark up as much discussion as stuff like Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead which seem to STAY at the top of my Subscription list.

Greyface said:
Why did you ever think it was? I think a lot of people on GAF don't like Fillion for some reason :/

Honestly, I have never seen a negative thing posted about him. At least not really negative. He seems to be one of the few people that nearly all of GAF loves whenever he is mentioned. His projects, however, don't always get the same love.

benjipwns

Banned
Medalion said:
Starting to think this show isn't hugely popular on GAF
Just to pile on.

I've watched it every week from the start (not often during its live airing though), it's one of my absolute favorite shows but just don't find all that much to talk about. I posted some of my thoughts a bit back and it's been that way for a while. I just enjoy the show, grab something to eat and have fun with it. It's a weekly procedural that I don't really mind those aspects because of how it goes about doing things.

I don't give a shit about the Castle/Beckett stuff, the ongoing plot has never been a big factor of the show and I expect any show of this type to be hit or miss based on how the weekly cases are. This week was really fun, next week might be shit or great, but there aren't really ongoing plots or anything to talk about. I don't mind that at all, I love shows with arcs and I have enough of those, but it's also nice to sit down with something like Castle or Psych that takes a fun and often unique approach to the standard procedural for 40 minutes each week and that's all it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
PhoncipleBone said:
Honestly, I have never seen a negative thing posted about him. At least not really negative. He seems to be one of the few people that nearly all of GAF loves whenever he is mentioned. His projects, however, don't always get the same love.
Yeah Gaf is ambivalent about most of projects. I've noticed a bunch of negative comments about Fillion whenever he's suggested as an ideal leading man for an Uncharted movie—that's where my impression that Gaf doesn't like him comes from.

benjipwns

Banned
Greyface said:
Yeah Gaf is ambivalent about most of projects. I've noticed a bunch of negative comments about Fillion whenever he's suggested as an ideal leading man for an Uncharted movie—that's where my impression that Gaf doesn't like him comes from.
You kinda have to separate certain aspects of GAF from anything regarding Uncharted.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The horror episode was a bit of fun. Beckett saying, she ain't afraid of no ghosts was pretty damn awesome.

I agree with everyone else here. It's probably my second favourite show behind fringe but there isn't much to talk about since it's a rather basic procedural. You could crap on about beckett and castle, which could be fun, but probably only enjoyable by about 3 people.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I still love this show. Missed a couple eps at the end of last season, but I'm all caught up now. Imo this is one of the most consistently good shows on television.

Many people look down upon procedurals, but there is a certain art form to them. The nice thing with procedurals is they are good for quick viewing on pick ups, and usually of the same quality and standards from episode to episode.

Long form storytelling like Lost, Fringe, and Battlestar Galactica have their own place and are impressive, but short burst stories that procedurals and anthology shows can be great as well.

Hell, look at The Twilight Zone. That is episodic with everything being stand alone, but it stands as one of the greatest achievements in television.

Evolved1

planar1280 said:
GAF needs to support this show more and Fillion needs to be Nathan Drake. it was the role he was born to do

Then he would need to spend the next ten months on a treadmill. heh.

One of the best parts of the show is the relationship between Castle and his daughter, Alexis. A very fun, yet loving family. And it is also funny that Alexis seems to be the adult of the household.

Medalion

Banned
Has there ever been any episodes dedicated to having Alexis have more screen-time, like if she got involved in one of the cases or something?

Medalion said:
Has there ever been any episodes dedicated to having Alexis have more screen-time, like if she got involved in one of the cases or something?

Not as far as I have seen, but I missed all of season one and most of season 2. Of course, dragging Alexis into a case would feel forced to me. Unless it is something involving a friend or classmate.

Not that I would complain about more Molly Quinn screentime.

Medalion

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Not as far as I have seen, but I missed all of season one and most of season 2. Of course, dragging Alexis into a case would feel forced to me. Unless it is something involving a friend or classmate.

Not that I would complain about more Molly Quinn screentime.
Agreed

It is nice to have a TV show discussion that is rather subdued and casual on GAF. I am used to either really heated ones, or super obsessive.

Medalion

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
It is nice to have a TV show discussion that is rather subdued and casual on GAF. I am used to either really heated ones, or super obsessive.
:p

We still miss you too in the other thread

Medalion

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I am so behind on the show. I have not seen anything since the season premiere. (Hangs head in shame)
You really need to catch up buddy, we've had at least 1 stellar episode that is arguably the best ep of the entire show aired 2 weeks ago

Evolved1

In season 1 or 2 (probably 2) Alexis had an episode where she was helping around the precinct. But not on a case... it was kind of an old cold case type thing with an item in the filing room or something (finding who it belonged to?) can't exactly remember.

But it wasn't out of place. It fit the character and was pretty well done, and in the end, thoughtful.

One of the strengths of this show is that it's always thoughtful about how it handles things. Whether it's a controversial topic, or the typically mishandled scenarios from other procedurals, or guest characters... it's always pretty solid.

The Alexis thing was done in the Castle tradition: good.

Top Bottom