• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

Lenardo

Banned
I lost my DS charger and was finally forced to watch TV in the hotel room I was staying in. This came on, and mysteries intrigue me, so I watched a few episodes. Man I thought it was mostly cringe-worthy, it actually almost taught me how to write a plot for a show, because to me it was so "thrown-together". I figured only grandmas and similar types watched it. Had no idea there would be a 30-page GAF thread for this.

Not trying to trash it for anyone who loves the show, but I had to share my honest experience. But I don't watch TV so what do I know (no sarcasm)

i watch it cuz i think stana is hot. heh

seriously, one episode does not make the series great, its the whole.

1- nathan fillion - the ONLY reason why i watched the show initially is because i flipped through the channels one night, it was on and i went, hey is that the guy from firefly? it was so i got the pilot...then madly watched every episode in a row as fast as i could(took about a week)
2. stana katic. wow... enough said, very underrated actress. shuns the spotlight, but travels the world etc. classy classy lady.

3. cast cohesion and interaction, the show is a romantic drama comedy police procedural..has great memorable lines and it looks like the cast loves doing the show.

#1 abc scripted show viewership wise if i remember correctly, the Demo is middle of the road, but for the past 2 weeks it has won it's timeslot for viewers.

demo is whack anyway - most young 18-30yr olds DO NOT WATCH BROADCAST TV, they stream or watch Cable shows(walking dead etc). the AVERAGE age of a viewer for broadcast shows is in the 50's. (i think castle's average age for a viewer is like 56 or 58)

Raistlin

Castle calls it his favorite case? I think it might be my favorite episode (well, at least for non-arc eps).

I can't believe they didn't offer a plausible explanation. LOVE IT.

Just watched the episode today...damn that was an awesome episode. Loved seeing Morgan Grimes on TV again and the fact that they left one open-ended finally...definitely one of my top 5 Castle episodes ever. Holy smokes.

Okay episode. Felt like it was kind of trying too hard. Also Alexis was acting ridiculous in the final scene. Not even in the same league as last week's.

Dec

Great episode though as a "theme" episode seemed like a downgrade so close to last week's
which was one of the all time best.

I think I liked it more just because I'm more interested in treasure hunts and conspiracies like in this last episode more than time travel and scifi.

The last episode is more important for sure, for how profound it could be in the shows world. But in terms of entertainment, I thought this week was better. Interesting to see a National Treasure-like story encased in a cop show.

Solid ep. Alexis speech makes no sense. It's not a child's job to worry about whether her twice (or thrice?) divorced father's new fiance is "the one" where as it's natural instinct for a father to have concerns about his daughters choice in partner (whether those concerns are exercised reasonably or not).

Her refusing to make up (for now) does make sense though because this entire relationship of hers is clearly her rebellion. She's never done it before.

I guess it doesn't matter but it does strike as out of character for Alexis to be so off on something like that.

Zafir

Solid ep. Alexis speech makes no sense. It's not a child's job to worry about whether her twice (or thrice?) divorced father's new fiance is "the one" where as it's natural instinct for a father to have concerns about his daughters choice in partner (whether those concerns are exercised reasonably or not).

Her refusing to make up (for now) does make sense though because this entire relationship of hers is clearly her rebellion. She's never done it before.

I guess it doesn't matter but it does strike as out of character for Alexis to be so off on something like that.
See I thought that initially(Probably because I've never had to go through a similar situation), but it does work both ways. Not in quite the same amount naturally, but you don't want to see your parents get screwed over for whatever reason.

See I thought that initially(Probably because I've never had to go through a similar situation), but it does work both ways. Not in quite the same amount naturally, but you don't want to see your parents get screwed over for whatever reason.

I can only see it being a reasonable concern for a child to parent if the parent is in a vulnerable position. That's not the case with Castle and Beckett. And there's nothing that I can recall every happening or ever expressed to Alexis that would even hint at Beckett being unsuitable for Castle. It's a terrible point that doesn't match with Alexis previously shown ability to think with reason and logic. The only explaination would be she's intentionally misrespresenting that specifically to guilt trip her dad... but that doesn't fit with her character either. I just feel like it's a writing misstep. They'll probably just gloss over it though so it's nothing to be too concerned about. Just one of those things that bugs someone who's really invested I guess?

Zafir

I can only see it being a reasonable concern for a child to parent if the parent is in a vulnerable position. That's not the case with Castle and Beckett. And there's nothing that I can recall every happening or ever expressed to Alexis that would even hint at Beckett being unsuitable for Castle. It's a terrible point that doesn't match with Alexis previously shown ability to think with reason and logic. The only explaination would be she's intentionally misrespresenting that specifically to guilt trip her dad... but that doesn't fit with her character either. I just feel like it's a writing misstep. They'll probably just gloss over it though so it's nothing to be too concerned about. Just one of those things that bugs someone who's really invested I guess?
Well, to be fair Alexis has shown disapproval in the past regarding Beckett. Though that was in Season 4 before they got together if I recall.

I dunno I can see why Alexis is mad either way. Yeah maybe it isn't quite the same thing, but from her perspective, she may think that. She hasn't had a child thus won't be able to empathise, and she's of that age where you think you know better than your elders.

Either way, didn't really phase me much.

Lenardo

Banned
liked the episode, however alexis finding out by the phone-by her grandmother- strikes me as odd

it's not like alexis was out of the country at the time (she wasn't)

liked the episode, however alexis finding out by the phone-by her grandmother- strikes me as odd

it's not like alexis was out of the country at the time (she wasn't)

Heh, it's true. That whole scene was just really sloppy writing on multiple levels. At least get your timeline straight, guys.

Lenardo

Banned
Heh, it's true. That whole scene was just really sloppy writing on multiple levels. At least get your timeline straight, guys.

Oh the timeline is/was screwed up. Watershed-mayish proposal, let's say June 1. Two month time jump Aug 1, 4 days til end episode2 episode 4? The TV news on show gives October date, yet alexis not in school yet, episode 5 Alexis school next week and pi been there a month.

Not even going to go into the fact that Alexis would not qualify for work study, dad is to rich.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I'm surprised no one has commented much about this ep. I knew the guy was gonna get off but the ending itself was a nice little twist. Enjoying this season still. Especially the time travel ep.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm surprised no one has commented much about this ep. I knew the guy was gonna get off but the ending itself was a nice little twist. Enjoying this season still. Especially the time travel ep.

I tried watching it but the entire area around me got preempted by that thing in Jersey. Gonna have to find another way.

The episode wasn't anything special. All that happened was that the manufactured conflict between Castle and Alexis was resolved within one episode of it being introduced. And I guess Alexis feels better about trusting Beckett as a maternal figure, but we didn't really know that that was an issue until the previous episode either.

The case itself wasn't even particularly fun or engaging. I mean, it was enjoyable enough to watch, but not up to the show's usual standards. I think maybe it's because the Castle-Beckett chemistry was missing.

Somnia

What happened in Jersey? Sorry, from Australia here so I dont hear much

Guy went into a mall with I believe an AK-47 and was shooting the place up. He didn't shoot anyone, mainly just the roof, stairs, elevator, etc. with no one on them. He had a lot of opportunities to kill people, but he only took his own life in the end. Pretty sure he was suicidal and wanted to be taken out by the cops.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I enjoyed this episode. I need something relaxing on Monday nights, and it's perfect.

Yes, it looked like Alexis was posing a lot in this episode. Lots of pensive looks, pursed lips, and overly pale makeup. Probably about to attempt a jump to movies and/or serious TV.

The actual case was pretty cool but the whole thing was very straight forward. Pacing was done well though so I still found myself drawn in.

Holy hell, did you guys see that preview?
Someone is murdering people who are basically clones of all the main characters

I really like that they're going in a more sci-fi direction this season. Between the time travel, the perfect manmade diamonds, and that preview... damn.

I really like that they're going in a more sci-fi direction this season. Between the time travel, the perfect manmade diamonds, and that preview... damn.

Yup. The first two episodes sorta bummed me out, but goddamn if I'm not back in !

thetechkid

Seeing it made me think it's 3XK related.

Lenardo

Banned
Name of the episode is disciple.,..so maybe not 3xk but a follower...

btw 3xk HAS had plastic surgery to change his looks before...

oh oh for you Jackson Hunt(James Brolin) Fans

He's BAACCCKK.. episode umm 13 or 14- whichever they are filming starting next monday- he is in that episode.

spoiled a guest star...

Lenardo

Banned
football preempting castle this week for me, but

if you like Castle,,,great episode (i nabbed the canadian feed last night).

decent "caskett" scene, excellent COTW...and....
-- the murders victims were hired to steal 3xk's files from the ME Dept/police station-however....

football preempting castle this week for me, but

if you like Castle,,,great episode (i nabbed the canadian feed last night).

decent "caskett" scene, excellent COTW...and....
-- the murders victims were hired to steal 3xk's files from the ME Dept/police station-however....

nobody should click on the spoiler in this post for tonight's ep! i thought it was a pretty good twist and the ep sort of falls flat if you know about it beforehand :(

Wow. This episode was great !

Does anyone know if the song has any actual meaning besides its lyrics ? When Beckett froze, I thought for certain that she would reveal that the song was her mother's favorite or something, hinting at her mother's death still being unclear. Why did she froze, anyway ? It has to mean something. It can't be just because the song says "we'll meet again".

Damnit! My local ABC affiliate is broadcasting the Panthers game tonight because I'm in Charlotte so I have to miss out tonight. Guess it'll have to be abc.com tomorrow :-/

Does anyone know if the song has any actual meaning besides its lyrics ? When Beckett froze, I thought for certain that she would reveal that the song was her mother's favorite or something, hinting at her mother's death still being unclear. Why did she froze, anyway ? It has to mean something. It can't be just because the song says "we'll meet again".
Wondering that myself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty sure it's because she was the one singing in that recording. It was a "it's not over, there's more dopplegangers out there" ending.

Moozo

Because the message is from 3XK

Joni

You know, the problem with watching both The Mentalist and Castle at the same time is that they re-use actors. When they showed the suspect, I was wondering why they didn't recognize they already had caught him in the past. Then I realized William Mapother just appeared on The Mentalist a couple of weeks ago so that is why I was recognizing him.

What the hell is 3XK? I don't remember that phrase at all.
He is the most dangerous killer they faced. He is a serial killer they tried to stop multiple times, but he always escaped. Glad he is back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, you're saying it was Beckett that was singing ? I didn't get that at all...

Nor did I.

It sounded like her and that's the only thing that would elicit the reaction they both gave at the end. If you've seen the 3rd librarian movie she sings in it and this reminded me of that scene.

What the hell is 3XK? I don't remember that phrase at all.

It's the serial killer who keeps fucking with Castle. The one they never caught.

thetechkid

The way it was playing out I thought Beckett realized Castle was really 3XK standing in front of her. Then the preview happened... :(

Top Bottom