• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

From season 4 onward I have the feeling that the series has lost its original premise.

The cool thing was that Castle was a mistery writer that used his genre savviness so help the police in solving crimes.

In the lastest seasons he's almost an investigators without a badge that loves to say silly stuff and the fact that he is a novelist is rarely brought up and is largely inconsequential in how the crimes were solved.

Also the series would have had a great ending if it just ended with the arrest of Bracken and the marriage and the X3K caught for good in a precedent episode. This extra season just seems purposeless as overarching plot, with a mystery (the kidnapping) that is out of nowhere. Fortunately the cases each week are more interesting than the previous season, and i just hope they'll wrap all the dangling threads with a satisfying finale this season.

From season 4 onward I have the feeling that the series has lost its original premise.

The cool thing was that Castle was a mistery writer that used his genre savviness so help the police in solving crimes.

In the lastest seasons he's almost an investigators without a badge that loves to say silly stuff and the fact that he is a novelist is rarely brought up and is largely inconsequential in how the crimes were solved.

Also the series would have had a great ending if it just ended with the arrest of Bracken and the marriage and the X3K caught for good in a precedent episode. This extra season just seems purposeless as overarching plot, with a mystery (the kidnapping) that is out of nowhere. Fortunately the cases each week are more interesting than the previous season, and i just hope they'll wrap all the dangling threads with a satisfying finale this season.

More specifically, and this is proven by the "What if?" episode this season, is that the charm of Castle is Castle being unwanted and being a pest. From when he originally appears in the lives of the 12th precinct he was a pain in their asses. That's what made the show fun. The bickering with Beckett and Castle, the teasing where the guys would side with him against her, etc. Once they got together you lost all that.

That's not to say they don't do drama episodes fantastically, because they totally do, but that can't be exclusively what Castle is about.

Lenardo

Banned
abc just did a huge survey on castle if you are on the tv board...

rating story lines writing character, they wanted feedback on all of it because "the powers that be" might have noticed the massive drop in viewership this season. several other shows have done this when the show was in "flux/peril of being cancelled etc" and changed were made to storylines, etc- for the better. nashville last year had 2 of them and - those people that i know that watch it- say that it is better this year than last.

ABC also changed several of the reruns are running over the hiatus.

ratings wise:
Bad santa was the LOWEST rated castle episodeever.

Lenardo

Banned
JUST A quick...

new episodes starting up next week

castle is out of precinct...but....is a Private Investigator now.... preview screenings say its a good episode... hint to the 2 parter....3xk's plastic surgeon GF is...back

People Choice Awards Last night

Stana won for Best female lead in a crime show
Nathan won for Best Male lead in a crime show
Castle(show) won for best crime show

the only other nomination the show had was best duo/couple, and they lost that one.

Keasar

I just started watching the show last week and absolutely loving it.

So far 8 episodes into season 2 and its still great though from what I understand in the thread it kinda drops around season 4 or something?

I just started watching the show last week and absolutely loving it.

So far 8 episodes into season 2 and its still great though from what I understand in the thread it kinda drops around season 4 or something?

It SLOWLY tapers off. Like, you won't even notice it unless you go back to earlier episodes to compare. Don't get all worried. You'll never feel like its a bad show.

Keasar

It SLOWLY tapers off. Like, you won't even notice it unless you go back to earlier episodes to compare. Don't get all worried. You'll never feel like its a bad show.

Great to hear, looking forward to almost binge watching the rest of the 7 seasons then. :)

Can't have enough of Nathan, have missed him after Firefly and I kick myself a little for never realizing I should give Castle a try.

Lenardo

Banned
welcome to the fan club

oh oh

NEW EPISODE TONITE! :)
in regards to my previous spoiler about the 2 parter (which is not tonite)
entertainment weekly has learned that- 3XK is BaAaAAaCK.... casting news has him being in 7x16

jvm

Gamasutra.
Wow I really liked that episode. It surprised me with the character interactions and whatnot. Good mini-season premiere.
I was dubious on the "Castle on his own" premise, but it has some promise. Of course, it will have to return to the norm, probably when Castle saves some big shot for the city or police. But until then, why not have a bit of fun?

Lenardo

Banned
groundwork was laid on coming back

that was a federal lawyer that they had in the box (the guy allergic to the dog)

better episode than i thought it would be(commercial with him with the sherlock hat had me cringing for a bit, but seen in context, was a sweet and romantic scene)

liked how the guys kept teasing kate about castle possibly solving it first

they COULD have castle continue to be a PI for the rest of the series, hell they could have kate "retire" from the force and join her firm and have them do more than just murders..

but imo they will have him allowed back into the precinct by the 2 parter is my guess. he'll still be a PI, it the PI bit will come up once or twice for the oddball case his "firm" gets.

Lenardo

Banned
someone posted that castle's PI office is now one of the show's permanent sets(how accurate this is i do not know at this time).

castle's perm sets were:

loft main floor area(kitchen/living/dining room and his office)
his bedroom
precinct
her apartment (which is now gone)

now we add Castle's PI office and remove her apartment

as for the case, she investigated her exbf's death- the ultimate suspect- pointed her towards the fed, then framed said fed (who was about to run for the state's atty general spot) to ruin his political career and or get rid of him being a good fed procecutor by killing the woman and planting the DNA evidence to link the fed to the murder.

I loved the scene where Castle and Beckett finally break down and start sharing info, and you can tell they're pent up as fuck. That was some sexy shit.

And I love how the writers have nailed the relationship here. There's just such a sense of spark and fun, even after they've gotten together. I like that they're now competing a bit.

I fist pumped when the episode didn't end with "THANKS FOR HELPING WITH THE CASE, CASTLE, YOU CAN COME CHILL AT THE STATION AGAIN NOW HUR HUR HUR!"

This is exactly the twist the show needed to stay fun. I think they realized that with the What If episode that the best Castle is Castle where he's pretty much always in trouble for helping.

Lenardo

Banned
DECENT episode monday, follows decently with the previous one.

liked the call back to the soap episode in season 3 one life to lose episode with espo being a spanish soap fan-and the show the woman is on being ...the one he liked.

liked the office scene, etc.

good episode, next week's looks good too.

Moozo

I feel like I'm just waiting for this show to end now. Wrap up the disappearance/3XK and be done with it. Otherwise they have to come up with some other convoluted 2 partners for yet another season

Volimar

Great episode. I figure the doctor wanted to remake 3XK so she did the surgery on the guy and started having him kill. Once she thought he was ready to enact revenge on Castle, they baited them with the dead woman and her look alike is another accomplice. Still feels a bit too much like a red herring to have the real 3XK pulling the strings.

Raistlin

Great episode. I figure the doctor wanted to remake 3XK so she did the surgery on the guy and started having him kill. Once she thought he was ready to enact revenge on Castle, they baited them with the dead woman and her look alike is another accomplice. Still feels a bit too much like a red herring to have the real 3XK pulling the strings.
Tooth was planted

Based on the preview and what the doctor has always said, I think she's gonna alter Beckett's face :(

Sloane

Banned
So, uh, what was the point of Castle's amnesia story again? That started out kind of interesting but they haven't mentioned it for, what, ten episodes?

Episode was pretty good and entertaining, but uninspired. There are so many ongoing storylines in this series, and they all stay insulated in their own little bubbles and never intersect. You've got Castle's PI business, you've got his super-spy father, you've got the 3xk, and you've got the amnesia mystery.... and none of them are ever even mentioned next to each other. It's a little disappointing.

Lenardo

Banned
Castle's pi business has been front and center the past 3 episodes
he was in his office when he got the call

amnesia- just no idea, personally i thought the whole missing crapfest was just that. angst to create angst by the show runner

superspy....done & finished as far as i know they MIGHT bring him back if a story warrants it but as far as i know they are done with him-he used them bigtime last time and pissed both kate and castle off...

so really the besides 3xk's story which- god i hope they wrap it up next week- the only dangling storyline is Castle's disappearance.

i enjoyed last night's episode except for 1 thing, kate going alone without ANY backup.

RangersFan

Castle's pi business has been front and center the past 3 episodes
he was in his office when he got the call

amnesia- just no idea, personally i thought the whole missing crapfest was just that. angst to create angst by the show runner

superspy....done & finished as far as i know they MIGHT bring him back if a story warrants it but as far as i know they are done with him-he used them bigtime last time and pissed both kate and castle off...

so really the besides 3xk's story which- god i hope they wrap it up next week- the only dangling storyline is Castle's disappearance.

i enjoyed last night's episode except for 1 thing, kate going alone without ANY backup.

I know they arrested Bracken. But I can't recall, is there anything left to do with Kate's mom's murder storyline?

Lenardo

Banned
bracken was arrested, unless they bring him back for the court case (unlikely, how many other cases have the revisited-besides HER case-none)

for the final coup-de-grace on the case, goto youtube look of veritas deleted scenes,

spoiled since i know there is AT LEAST one person that probably has not caught up since last week they just saw season's 3 finale

there is a ~45 second deleted scene/extended ending where kate puts her moms ring away in a jewelry box-castle goes, are you sure? after she closes the box., kate. it's time, i'm sure- kiss fade to black

of course now we've talked about it, he has probably no idea who bracken is yet... (that comes season 5 premiere)

Loving the 3xk return. I also think they'll pick upthe amnesia plotline and have it crossover with Castle's Dad. If they want to wrap up soonish they'll need to address amnesia.

What the hell happened with his disappearance at the start of the season?

They just said he organized a disappearance from his wedding and got someone to erase any memory of why he did it from his mind.....and then nothing.

Joni

What the hell happened with his disappearance at the start of the season?

They just said he organized a disappearance from his wedding and got someone to erase any memory of why he did it from his mind.....and then nothing.

Procedural storytelling. A big event happens and then they get back to a year later in a season finale. It is how Beckett only found leads to her mother once a year.

Lenardo

Banned
sneak peek of the episode is out now on youtube

DaAaMmNn...makes his target apartment scene, kinda tame.
dddddaaaaammmnnn don't piss castle off......he is tossing "boudreau"(tyson) around like a rag doll.

hbkdx12

Really solid episode up until the undoing of the strap. Everything seemed very plausible and well done

It's kind of sad to see 3XK gone being that his rivarly with Castle & Beckett made for the shows highlights in my opinion. Seems like the only serious fallback they have now is castle's amnesia and 2 month disappearance.

I like the kooky, light hearted episodes but there's not enough of these episodes that are more serious and raise the stakes

It's kind of sad to see 3XK gone being that his rivarly with Castle & Beckett made for the shows highlights in my opinion. Seems like the only serious fallback they have now is castle's amnesia and 2 month disappearance.

Yeah, but a buddy and I were talking about this 3XK plot was getting REALLY complicated to follow, so I'm glad they closed the book on it.

Castle's disappearance is still a plot, but isn't there still some unfinished business with his dad too that we have to wrap up?

I was really bummed to see him be invited back to work with Beckett too. It was too cheesy how they did it, too easy, and I'm worried it'll make the show stale again. Him being a PI and having to bug the 12th all the time even though they WANTED to work with him made things a lot less easy and a lot more fun. Brought back bickering Castle and Beckett which is what made the show fun originally.

Top Bottom