• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Teknoman

By the way, anyone know if the older 360 headsets receive voices louder than the new/most recent headsets with the large mute on/off switch? For some reason voices seem to come through alot quieter on my newer headset than the old white one that came with the pro near release.

Scarecrow

I got your message, sorry I couldn't get back to you Teknoman, :(

My group got to level 4 on hard mode tonight. Hard mode's a bitch. I want to build up a good Shanoa, as I've seen some killer spells coming from one of our group. I'm not getting any good spells for Alucard.

SAB CA said:
All character ability earning methods, in a nutshell:
Soma: Gets souls from defeated enemies (even if others defeat them!), Gets weapons from shop and drops.
Alucard: Gets scrolls from Chest and Bosses, Gets weapons from shops and drops.
Shanoa: Weps from Bosses, Spells from absorbing glyphs (Hold Up when a blue glyph appears atop a monsters head.) Gets stronger from using spells.
Johnathan: Gets sub weps from enemies and chest. Gets stronger by repeatedly using sub weapons. Gets new martial art skills from chest and (I believe) bosses.
Charlotte: Gets Spells by absorbing blocked attack skills with RB. Also gets stronger by repeatedly absorbing the same/more skills.

Soma and Alucard can weild 2 unique weps at once. When using a wep, backdash with LB and then attack again in mid backdash. This'll help you rapid attack. Shanoa's dual wep attack from X to Y can be done faster than the other characters, so she can be a pretty effective melee beast.

Johnathan and Charlotte don't have a normal Y button attack -_-; Johnathan uses Y to do some special attacks, however.

Great tips and explanations! Thanks.

I really love this game.

Teknoman

Scarecrow said:
I got your message, sorry I couldn't get back to you Teknoman, :(

My group got to level 4 on hard mode tonight. Hard mode's a bitch. I want to build up a good Shanoa, as I've seen some killer spells coming from one of our group. I'm not getting any good spells for Alucard.

Its cool, we got to Dracula, but still needed to build up Yuripaw's souls and equipment for Soma.

Cynar

Foffy said:
Man, after having the online screw me over obtaining a Gergoth soul (it wouldn't load the results screen) I'm a bit annoyed.

Surely, the Soul Eater ring is in the game? Do you unlock it in the Shop after beating Normal mode?

Nobody has beaten Stage 5 so far from what I played online, including myself. :lol

Yes, it's unlocked after beating normal and it's 200,000 gold.

Myomoto

Got some good games in yesterday, although we got pummelled pretty fierce by Dracula's third form. Anybody have a strategy for that thing? Seems like a giant pain that you have to get between his hands to damage him.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yay beat Drac and unlocked hard mode. The new shop items that open up in hard are freaking awesome and even better any character can buy them, not just the person you unlocked hard mode with.

That being said, hard mode lives up to it's name, I'm getting utterly smashed on chp 1. :lol

Myomoto

So apparently there's now going some leaked screen shots around of a new pyramid stage, as well as two new characters: Maria (from SotN, I guess) and Julius Belmont (from Aria of Sorrow, I'm guessing as well).

Edit: Looks like it's Maria's Rondo of Blood sprite, in fact.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Myomoto said:
So apparently there's now going some leaked screen shots around of a new pyramid stage, as well as two new characters: Maria (from SotN, I guess) and Julius Belmont (from Aria of Sorrow, I'm guessing as well).

Edit: Looks like it's Maria's Rondo of Blood sprite, in fact.
link?

Also, I am trying to solo the second boss with Alucard, what kind of stats or strategy do I need? Anybody wants to coop for a while?

Rad-

Shanoa's starting to get a bit boring, she's too powerful. And people are now catching up on that, a lot of Shanoa's running around.

And damn, whenever I'm around there's only 1-3 other Gaffers on. And most of them already playing something.

Last boss third form is a pain in the ass with Alucard, in the other hand with Shanoa is a piece of cake, lightning rules :D. The game is good but after 15 hours it feels very repetitive.

Rad-

abq said:
Beat Dracla solo. He is much more manageable alone than with 6 players.

It's pretty ridiculous how easily solo Shanoa can destroy him. I've been trying to get Satan's Ring to drop from him. Heard it's pretty great.

I've picked this game up yesterday. It a fun game, but I do not think it single player friendly. I was getting so frustrated playing by myself as Alacurd. I was constantly dieing on the first boss. When I played with another player, I had a blast. The person did not even talked but it just seem like that was the aim of this game. I think Konami/Xbox should giveaway 48 hours free with the purchase of this game.

robot

Sinatar said:
Yay beat Drac and unlocked hard mode. The new shop items that open up in hard are freaking awesome and even better any character can buy them, not just the person you unlocked hard mode with.

That being said, hard mode lives up to it's name, I'm getting utterly smashed on chp 1. :lol

I'm saving up for that RPG!

Myomoto

Chauncy Talon said:
I've picked this game up yesterday. It a fun game, but I do not think it single player friendly. I was getting so frustrated playing by myself as Alacurd. I was constantly dieing on the first boss. When I played with another player, I had a blast. The person did not even talked but it just seem like that was the aim of this game. I think Konami/Xbox should giveaway 48 hours free with the purchase of this game.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about the fact that people could buy this with just a silver account. Man, what a bummer :lol

yamo

Tempted to get this game, just don't like the whole time aspect of each level. I prefer to take it easy and not have to rush through things because of à time limit.

Sectus

I think I figured out how the game manages to be suspiciously lag free all the time. It uses a similar system as Lost Planet 2, each player runs his own instance of the level where everything is handled by his own client, but enemies share ID between clients. For instance, one axe knight will behave slightly different on each client since they're not in sync, but once one player kills it, it'll die for every player.

I think the boss is the only enemy which is 100% in sync for each player (server probably manages him and sends update to each player). But it looks like all the smaller enemies are not in sync. This is obvious if you look closely on another player, you'll occasionally see them take damage when there's no enemy right at them, and they might occasionally deal damage without hitting anything on your screen.

It isn't actually a huge deal, many enemies have very monotonous attack patterns that they end up being almost completely in sync, and no enemy seems to move far off their starting location. I think this solution works a lot better than if they were to implement a type of netcode which might cause some kind of input lag or make it harder to avoid/hit enemies.

Rad-

lilljolle said:
Tempted to get this game, just don't like the whole time aspect of each level. I prefer to take it easy and not have to rush through things because of à time limit.

Don't worry about the time limit. I usually really hate time limits in games but it's pretty well implemented here. The only case where you can actually hit that limit is on bosses if your teammates die too much as skeletons (you lose 5 minutes per such death).

robot

Coldsnap said:
How much is the RPG? I've heard stories about it ripping

150k :0

Anyone know what Konami Man does? If you stand on the platform right before the boss and I think hold up - he flys across the screen and you can grab him. I don't see him in my inventory though (I'm using Soma).

Coldsnap

robot said:
150k :0

Anyone know what Konami Man does? If you stand on the platform right before the boss and I think hold up - he flys across the screen and you can grab him. I don't see him in my inventory though (I'm using Soma).

Dang that is a lot. I wonder what would be best to offhand with the RPG.

As for the Konami Man we saw him a few times last night and from what I've seen it's just an easter egg.

Ridley327

Apparently, people on other boards are convinced that you can unlock a sixth character by finding all six special items (like Konami Man and the bell in chapter 1), but they're getting caught on what to do in chapter 2. They're convinced it has something to do with the piano.

Myomoto

Ridley327 said:
Apparently, people on other boards are convinced that you can unlock a sixth character by finding all six special items (like Konami Man and the bell in chapter 1), but they're getting caught on what to do in chapter 2. They're convinced it has something to do with the piano.

That piano is mysterious as hell. Have people tried the obvious Silent Hill piano puzzles on it yet?

Coldsnap said:
Dang that is a lot. I wonder what would be best to offhand with the RPG.

I'm having a lot of success with the Main Gauche and a gun in the off hand, can't wait to upgrade to an RPG.

Ridley327

Keep in mind that this is not a confirmed feature of the game; the people on other boards are basing this entirely on a few interviews where a Konami rep stated that there would be five characters available right away. They haven't figured out how to get the hidden item in chapter 5, as well.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
This game is kinda bad, yet I find it fun as hell with friends. I don't know. So many little flaws, but I want to keep playing. It's weird.

I heard you can solo level five as Shanoa fairly easy - anybody try this yet? How do you deal with Death by yourself? I know he drops some great weapons for her, and I'm still using her stock shit. Want some new toys.

And the netcode is great, actually.

Damn you Puppet HARD !
Can't find a team decent enough to beat it.

Those damn blue puppets won't die before they enter the iron maiden.
Then we all get teleported and die one by one. :/

Myomoto

Llyranor said:
How's the netcode?

Practically perfect.

theMrCravens said:
Damn you Puppet HARD !
Can't find a team decent enough to beat it.

Those damn blue puppets won't die before they enter the iron maiden.
Then we all get teleported and die one by one. :/

Supposedly, Alucard can dodge the iron maiden attack by turning to mist, just as it closes around the puppet, should make it rather easy to solo the boss if you've got decent gear for Alucard.

I wonder when they'll release the DLC, seems like they had it ready by launch. I'm guessing they'll wait one or two weeks for interest in the game to die off, then push this out to hopefully sucker all of us in again.

Sectus

Llyranor said:
How's the netcode?
Read some posts above you darnit :p

The netcode is nearly flawless. The only downside is that enemies might not be in the same position for all players.

Wizpig

Sectus said:
Read some posts above you darnit :p

The netcode is nearly flawless. The only downside is that enemies might not be in the same position for all players.
Also netcode isn't perfect in PvP matches, but those seem stupid anyways, and there are no achievements for those matches.

depward

Being a huge Castlevania fan, I played the demo... and wasn't blown away. Yet, I keep on reading from everyone that sp kinda sucks and mp is where it's at.

Decisions, decisions...

depward said:
Being a huge Castlevania fan, I played the demo... and wasn't blown away. Yet, I keep on reading from everyone that sp kinda sucks and mp is where it's at.

Decisions, decisions...
It's too bad they didn't follow the practice of giving the demo a 10/30min trial for multiplayer that seems pretty standard recently. This game really isn't meant to be played single player at all :/

Anyway, still really enjoying the game. Been playing with friends so we're all sticking together pace/level wise. Just started level 4 last night and explored it/got to the boss. Looking forward to getting the level down and running him for loot. We basically have the level 3 boss perfected by now.

Wizpig

According to the Xbox.com forums in order to unlock the Alucard gamerpicture you have to beat the final boss in single player.

Also, this DLC was clearly removed from the game so that they could just sell it to us at a later time.
And it will probably be something like:
New level = 200 ms points
Maria = 100 ms points
Julius = 100 ms points.

1600 ms points game confirmed.

Wizpig said:
According to the Xbox.com forums in order to unlock the Alucard gamerpicture you have to beat the final boss in single player.

Also, this DLC was clearly removed from the game so that they could just sell it to us at a later time.
And it will probably be something like:
New level = 200 ms points
Maria = 100 ms points
Julius = 100 ms points.

1600 ms points game confirmed.
Seems like what a lot of DLC has already been this generation sadly :/. I've still only focused most of my time on one character so I have a lot of room to move around on that front, but I welcome more levels coming in over time.

Rad-

GuiltybyAssociation said:
This game is kinda bad, yet I find it fun as hell with friends. I don't know. So many little flaws, but I want to keep playing. It's weird.

I heard you can solo level five as Shanoa fairly easy - anybody try this yet? How do you deal with Death by yourself? I know he drops some great weapons for her, and I'm still using her stock shit. Want some new toys.

And the netcode is great, actually.

Yeah Death is very easy to farm. Equip the lightning spell and just hang in the middle magnet, dodging his little scythes and firing lightning whenever you have the MP for it.

owlbeak

I don't think any commercial reviewers actually know what this game was supposed to be. It was never supposed to be a story based game. Just a coop castle crawl with friends with Castlevania characters.

I love this game, my friends and I are at Dracula but can't get past his
third form
!

Top Bottom