• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

The music in this game is so good. I was humming the tune from the first level for most of the day.

I'll be on in a few minutes if anyone wants to team up.

Wizpig

I don't get this, i unlocked level 5, played on it (and lost) but then when i created another game with different players i could only play in level 1 again!

Why?

Dartastic

How the heck do I decently level up Shanoa? I haven't seen one enemy leave behind a glyph for her to absorb, and it's starting to get irritating. I still have my default weapon, and my equipment is only slightly better than when I started off. I'd at least like to get SOMETHING for her. GRRR.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Wizpig said:
I don't get this, i unlocked level 5, played on it (and lost) but then when i created another game with different players i could only play in level 1 again!

Why?
You have to select "Request A Stage". Some of them might not even have been that far yet.

Wizpig

Darkmakaimura said:
You have to select "Request A Stage". Some of them might not even have been that far yet.
No, i'm the host, i should be able to pick level 4 or 5, but only level 1 showed up, even if some guys requested 4...

edit. snoop, sorry, i'm in another team already.

abq

Dartastic said:
How the heck do I decently level up Shanoa? I haven't seen one enemy leave behind a glyph for her to absorb, and it's starting to get irritating. I still have my default weapon, and my equipment is only slightly better than when I started off. I'd at least like to get SOMETHING for her. GRRR.
You can grab three glyphs from one of the witches (the one with light around her) and one from the green skeletons.

Wizpig

Dartastic said:
What stages are those in?
There's one witch in level 4.
(NOT the ones on a flying broom that transform into cats).

But here's the odd thing, i got two glyphs from that enemy... and it doesn't show up in the equip, i have no new magics or anything.

:'(

JRW

God the demo was awful. Not even remotely interesting.

(Goes back to playing Hydro Thunder Hurricane)

abq

Wizpig said:
There's one witch in level 4.
(NOT the ones on a flying broom that transform into cats).

But here's the odd thing, i got two glyphs from that enemy... and it doesn't show up in the equip, i have no new magics or anything.

:'(
It seems that you don't always get a glyph when you absorb it. If you get it, it will show the name of the glyph the same way as when you get an item.

Coldsnap

Okay so lets get a party of six going tonight. Who's down in about 30mins?

1. ColdsnapBryan
2. Snoopeasystreet (try to see why we couldn't conect)
3. abq (what's your GT?)

Foffy

Banned
Is it just me or has the online been very finicky in the past 2 hours? I've had connection errors for joining a quick game, to constantly having my team removed from a stage, one by one.

Do I have cooties, or is something amiss here? I was able to get a number of games in previous to these series of oddities (I knew I had a Gold card someone for online :p), so I don't think it's my connection..

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
VALIS said:
Is this worthwhile at all single player? I usually play games in the early morning hours (EDT) and there aren't that many GAFers or other friends around.

As long as next week's Team Fortress-looking game is decent I'll pick this up anyway as the "buy four, get one free" Summer of Arcade promotion, but still, if it's not at all worthwhile in 1p, I'd need to really convince myself.

For me, single player is a grindfest to up Charlotte's abilities. It lets me actually go to places, and spend as much time as I want grinding out an enemy's abilities or such. Also, since I've not played the DS Games that Charlotte, Johnathan, and Shanoa are from, they're fresh game experiences, so I rather enjoy seeing them grow.

I can be up rather early in the morning (EST) myself, (mostly from staying up over the night), so I might even be able to play. Probably no room on the friends list though. Gamertag is the same as GAF name ^_^

Teknoman

SAB CA said:
For me, single player is a grindfest to up Charlotte's abilities. It lets me actually go to places, and spend as much time as I want grinding out an enemy's abilities or such. Also, since I've not played the DS Games that Charlotte, Johnathan, and Shanoa are from, they're fresh game experiences, so I rather enjoy seeing them grow.

I can be up rather early in the morning (EST) myself, (mostly from staying up over the night), so I might even be able to play. Probably no room on the friends list though. Gamertag is the same as GAF name ^_^

Just add the giant group tag, and invite people from there.

OnPoint

Coldsnap said:

1. ColdsnapBryan
3. abq (what's your GT?)

I'll be on way later tonight, close to 1130 PM. Will any of you be available then?

Yuripaw

Banned
I think I'm gonna finally buy this now, I just got enough funds to reactivate my xbox live gold. My gamertag is I ockman I if anyone wants to play sometime.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Eiji said:
Which character is the best for Single Player?

Probably Shanoa. Lighting is massively powerful, Magnes makes it easy for her to get around, Double weapon attach is great, bosses drop her additional weapons, and she gets stronger from using her spells, no serious need to grind like Charlotte.

Teknoman said:
Just add the giant group tag, and invite people from there.

But that, in turn, takes friend list space! :lol

abq

Coldsnap said:

1. ColdsnapBryan
3. abq (what's your GT?)
qhoang85

We got a game with 4 people atm. Message me when you're on.

abq

SAB CA said:
Probably Shanoa. Lighting is massively powerful, Magnes makes it easy for her to get around, Double weapon attach is great, bosses drop her additional weapons, and she gets stronger from using her spells, no serious need to grind like Charlotte.

But that, in turn, takes friend list space! :lol
Shanoa has great offensive skills, but in terms of survivability Alucard is probably best. Mist form = free dodge.

I don't understand how Charlotte gains new abilities/spells. Can someone help explain how the characters all gain abilities? The game is awesome but does a poor job of explaining this stuff, even in the tutorials.

Coldsnap

my internet was down for a bit, if anyone has room for me please send an invite. I will be idle on the tittle screen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
anotheriori said:
Anyone know if there's an explanation on the stats etc?

They seem to be the same as SOTN. Modified and ripped from SOTN FAQs

STR - Your characters Strength. Attacks that don't take weapons depend on this stat.
So your hops and slides and such use this stat.

CON - (Constitution) Gives a slight DEF boost, also affects the
amount of time the Poison and Curse ailments last.

INT - Affects the damage of the spells do.

LCK - Probably effects item drop rates. RPG classic description "And other various things"
High luck might also give better boss drops, glyph absorb, etc.

ATT - Attack str with weapons.

DEF - How much damage a target can absorb. Get it high enough, and you'll start taking
very low damage, like 1s!

MND - Magic defense. Enemy spells will hurt you less!

They could be more effects, but that's the gist.

Teknoman

Yuripaw said:
How is Soma? I was mostly thinking about playing as him because I really liked the GBA and DS games he was in.

Pretty good aside from soul hunting. Of course if that didnt bother you in Aria or Dawn, you'll be ok. Plus if someone else kills an enemy that has a soul Soma can use, it'll be awarded to you.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
abq said:
Shanoa has great offensive skills, but in terms of survivability Alucard is probably best. Mist form = free dodge.

Yeah, but mist last so short. I'd wager that Charlottes shield is a better defense than Mist, since it can last a lot longer than shield. But I'd agree that overall, it's between those 2, depending on playstyle.

Charlotte can apparently also get heal... but I have yet to absorb it myself, so I can't say how much better that makes her survivability. Alucard gets soul steal and Dark Metamorphasis though... do they ever get better than just giving back 1 health?

EternalGamer said:
I don't understand how Charlotte gains new abilities/spells.

Use RB to bring up a shield with her. If the spell that hits that shield makes a "slashing" sound (the shield will also pulse), that means the spell CAN be absorbed. If she says "Signed and sealed!" or something, and the name of the spell pops up in a speech bubble, congrats, you got the spell!

Her skills can be leveled up to 8/9 times. (The offensive skills screen will display a 9 when the skills is not equiped, but I believe there are only 8 green boxes under equiped skills on list.) Each level does makes her skills stronger (they do more damage). Some even get additional effects (summon skull gets 3 skeletons tossing bones, rather than 1.)

This also increases the damage of her weapon. Around the time of making 1 skill, her wep will change from one blade out of her book, to a blade, and 2 diagonal axes. As you continue to get more spells and spell levels, the atk strength will get higher. It's unclear if the weapon transforms again...

For convenience, here's some of the spells she can absorb (Modified List Via GFAQS):

Fireball: Default, dragon heads
Sickle Moon: the little imps that fly around and control you...
Demon Seed: the demon plant in chapter 2
Summon Skeleton: the skeltons that throw bones
Acedic Bubbles: the demon dog with wings in chapters 2 and 4
Energy Flow: from the witches on brooms
Heal: from the witches on brooms
Flame Shot: the red demons in chapters 2-4
Ice Needle: clear blue lady in chapter 2
Poison Spores: The mushroom poison guys in chapter 2
Raging Fire: Bone Dragon, Minotaurs, Wall-clinging skeletons
Thunderbolt: Lightning Demons in Chapter 6
Deathscythe: From Death himself, as he pesters you with Scythes.

You can only get a spell one per enemy spawn. Once you get the spell, kill of the enemy, and find another one in the level to absorb from.

All character ability earning methods, in a nutshell:
Soma: Gets souls from defeated enemies (even if others defeat them!), Gets weapons from shop and drops.
Alucard: Gets scrolls from Chest and Bosses, Gets weapons from shops and drops.
Shanoa: Weps from Bosses, Spells from absorbing glyphs (Hold Up when a blue glyph appears atop a monsters head.) Gets stronger from using spells.
Johnathan: Gets sub weps from enemies and chest. Gets stronger by repeatedly using sub weapons. Gets new martial art skills from chest and (I believe) bosses.
Charlotte: Gets Spells by absorbing blocked attack skills with RB. Also gets stronger by repeatedly absorbing the same/more skills.

Soma and Alucard can weild 2 unique weps at once. When using a wep, backdash with LB and then attack again in mid backdash. This'll help you rapid attack. Shanoa's dual wep attack from X to Y can be done faster than the other characters, so she can be a pretty effective melee beast.

Johnathan and Charlotte don't have a normal Y button attack -_-; Johnathan uses Y to do some special attacks, however.

Foffy

Banned
Man, after having the online screw me over obtaining a Gergoth soul (it wouldn't load the results screen) I'm a bit annoyed.

Surely, the Soul Eater ring is in the game? Do you unlock it in the Shop after beating Normal mode?

Nobody has beaten Stage 5 so far from what I played online, including myself. :lol

Wizpig

Ok, Dracula is clearly fucking impossible to beat; thanks for the games, qhoang85, jazz, eggo, bryan and snoop, and good night.

Lightning!
Lightning!
Lightning!

Lightning!

:(

Coldsnap

Dracula sucks.. cha ching

I'm gonna level up that girl with the tramp stamp so we can give Dracula the lightening x 6

I beat Dracula first time without you hobos holding me back :lol

3rd form can be annoying but really it's just a matter of getting the patterns down, the colour that he glows indicates what type of attack he uses e.g. pink means he'll throw the hearts so get to the corner and duck. Basically you just need to run under him after dodging an attack and then run to a corner once he starts glowing again to avoid his next one. The exception is when he goes purple (the beams of death) in which case you want to stay under him and wail on him as he doesn't target that area.

Top Bottom