• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Bought this today and the group I played with ran through all 6 chapters like a hot knife through butter! ...I feel empty inside.

Beth Cyra

RiderKairuu said:
Bought this today and the group I played with ran through all 6 chapters like a hot knife through butter! ...I feel empty inside.

On normal or hard?

From reading this thread and some other stuff I have seen it really does make a difference in this game.

RiderKairuu said:
Yeah, it's been 3 days already.
Most of us are already geared up for NORMAL mode runs.

HARD mode is being a bitch to me, but others already got it on farm mode.

TruePrime said:
On normal or hard?

From reading this thread and some other stuff I have seen it really does make a difference in this game.

Normal mode. Yeah I've heard some things about hard mode. Gonna give that a try when I get better stuff.

Myomoto

Wizpig said:
Well, I don't talk, basically. P:
I'd like to, but my English is a cheesy and Italianish English...

I want a patch where they add gamertags on characters and a search/lobby system that actually works.
Guess what? it'll never happen.

The fact that you can't invite people to an existing team is so fucking stupid it hurts. Also, the fact that you cannot pick a chapter BEFORE the team has been formed is a giant pain in the ass. Especially if you're stuck on a specific stage.

Personally, I don't care about gamertags above characters names. The less stuff on the screen from other players the better, in my opinion. I've turned off the little pictures that indicate where other players are on the stage for the same reason. Having to dodge medusa heads when there's like 4 giant picture frames on the screen is a nightmare.

What I do care about however, is the fact that player shops aren't in. Seriously, it was in every of the DS games, where it actually didn't make any sense what so ever. Now they put out a multiplayer focused dungeon crawler, and leave no way of actually trading items?

Foffy

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
Is there really any additional DLC for characters/stages coming soon?

Someone who pirated the game posted screenshots of Chapter 7, as well as Julius Belmont and Maria Renard.

Julius has 8 way whipping and can swing on Magnes circles, so he plays like something from Super Castlevania IV. Maria is the loli Maria from Rondo, so I bet she's pretty broken. :lol

Hige

Man, I am so addicted to this game right now! I have ~15+ hours of playtime on Charlotte and I've barely touched the other characters. :lol Must... absorb... more spells... almost have everything maxed out, well except for the final boss's spell anyway.

The game runs very smooth online, but has anyone had an issue with "(Player Name) left the team"? I was playing just fine with 3 other people for several chapters, then we tried chapter 3 twice on hard mode and both times at least one person dropped. Both times this occurred after the boss fight was activated. The first time, there was still one other player with me in the fight, but the second time everyone was in their own instance of the boss fight.

Added the GAFlevania tag so feel free to invite me. I'm up to chapter 4 on hard mode right now.

Teknoman

Foffy said:
Julius has 8 way whipping and can swing on Magnes circles, so he plays like something from Super Castlevania IV

Thats actually pretty cool then. There must be another chapter after 7 as well, since there are more main stage themes than chapters in the game.

Wizpig

Myomoto said:
The fact that you can't invite people to an existing team is so fucking stupid it hurts. Also, the fact that you cannot pick a chapter BEFORE the team has been formed is a giant pain in the ass. Especially if you're stuck on a specific stage.
Right.
My GAF teammates here would know since i had to invite them 4-5 times.
/sigh
Myomoto said:
What I do care about however, is the fact that player shops aren't in. Seriously, it was in every of the DS games, where it actually didn't make any sense what so ever. Now they put out a multiplayer focused dungeon crawler, and leave no way of actually trading items?
And... this is so damn true i'm amazed i didn't think about it before; but still, this would be an "additional" feature... it would be better that they just fixed the current issues.
And that's the problem: call me pessimistic, but a patch will never become true because this is one of "those" projects.
Low-budget, developed by a small team of a huge software house who surely will have tons of best things to think about right now instead of patches for their little XBLA game.
They got our money, they couldn't care less about "fixing" the game right now.
To think the only things that need fixing are lobbies and small things... because the netcode and gameplay is already almost perfect.
It's a shame because the game is so good in my opinion, with a patch and some more balance it would be perfect.
Foffy said:
Someone who pirated the game posted screenshots of Chapter 7, as well as Julius Belmont and Maria Renard.
So the content is already there, as i thought.
And there's still people on the internet claiming Konami is so good and loves us and those are not going to be unlock keys, because those things are in beta testing or something? just... heck, fanboys.
Unfortunately for us, those things were clearly ready by the time the game "shipped."
Str0ngStyle said:
Just picked this up. Aanyone interested in coop? Gt is same as my user name. Just send an invite
Add GAFlevania HD!
snoopeasystreet said:
Yeah I know! I was sure I opened my NAT this morning. You guys can play without me if you want.
In order to be sure you need to do a network test on your 360 (you can't do it if you are logged in a profile already) ... if the test ends and the 360 didn't warn you in any way (no errors pop-ups, etc.) you have an open nat for sure.
If you have a strict nat the 360 will tell you so, with something like "you may experience problems online..."
I'm sure you already tried, but google "port forwarding" if you need an open nat.

Ridley327

If they are unlock keys, then they are the biggest unlock keys that I have ever seen.

hodpack-660x495.jpg

7MB for a character?

Wizpig

Well, it could be removed content, not an unlock key, my bad... it's probably even worse since they removed the content from the game in order to make us think it was all new content.
I see too many people thinking that since it's 7 MB instead of 90 KBs it must be new content.

Too bad it leaked, like, one day before the game was out, and after 2 days we have pics.
"New" content indeed... meh :D

I would bitch a lot less if the game was 800 points, but since it was 1200 and now they are probably going to charge for removed content... i don't know if i will buy it, that's all! but i want that new level...

Myomoto

Wait, couldn't they just do a mandatory update with all the assets of the new characters in it, that could explain the size as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ridley327 said:
They could, but I have a strong suspicion that IGA did not get the budget for that.
I heard that he didn't get a budget. He had to sell a kidney to self-fund the game. And if it doesn't sell over a million copies he'll be taken out back and bukkake'd to death.

I say there needs to be a class action started as an all-star Castlevania game without a Belmont is just fucking retarded and nothing but a shrine to Iga the Terrible. And no, Johnathon doesn't fucking count.

Beth Cyra

Son of Godzilla said:
I say there needs to be a class action started as an all-star Castlevania game without a Belmont is just fucking retarded and nothing but a shrine to Iga the Terrible. And no, Johnathon doesn't fucking count.

Not really. They use Simon in other thing to show off Castlevaniia and not Iga's stuff at times like Dream TV had Simon. Also think back to Judgement (ugh) it was loaded with old school characters as well. 2 Belmonts, the whole cast of Castle III, Alucard.

Also it is werid that you are trying to troll Iga when you know damn well that Alucard is not his creation so it is not only his.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The demo of this game is horrifically bad. I really don't know what Konami was thinking putting it up in that form.

So it wasn't just me. The more GAF talks about the game the better it sounds, but playing the trial and only using Alucard barebones AND it being incredibly slow just makes me not want to consider the $15.

Maaseru

Banned
Haven't played a GAF game yet, but the normal online really sucks for me. I do a quick match: unable to find a team. This happens all the time. When I join a team in custom I always get kicked out and when I make a team only players that can play chapter 1 join!!!! Oh man I've been wanting to pass level 6 for some time now.

Coldsnap

Maaseru said:
Haven't played a GAF game yet, but the normal online really sucks for me. I do a quick match: unable to find a team. This happens all the time. When I join a team in custom I always get kicked out and when I make a team only players that can play chapter 1 join!!!! Oh man I've been wanting to pass level 6 for some time now.

play with us, we shit all over dracula

Cynar

Myomoto said:
The fact that you can't invite people to an existing team is so fucking stupid it hurts.

I agree

Myomoto said:
Also, the fact that you cannot pick a chapter BEFORE the team has been formed is a giant pain in the ass. Especially if you're stuck on a specific stage.

This is done in case that person hasn't beat the stages previously. So you help them, they help you. Seems fine to me.

Myomoto said:
Personally, I don't care about gamertags above characters names. The less stuff on the screen from other players the better, in my opinion. I've turned off the little pictures that indicate where other players are on the stage for the same reason. Having to dodge medusa heads when there's like 4 giant picture frames on the screen is a nightmare.
Agreed there

Teppic said:
The puppet master fight is really unfair. First it's easy, just hit him and destroy the dolls. Then he starts to move around the map, making us go through long detours to get to him. In the meantime he'll make puppets and kill us.

Is there any more unfair bosses like this one in the game?
Push the boxes in front of the iron maidens around the map, and the puppet master won't be able to use those at least. Then he'll just go between 3 different places in the middle.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Shanoa's lightning spell is absurdly good, once you start to level it up.

Also wtf at Rondo Maria over SotN Maria for DLC. Fuck that noise.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Why the fuck do people complain about unlock keys? Just because the content was there from the beggining doesn't mean it was free for them to develop. The reason whythey pack this content with the initial download is because MS charges a flat fee for the initial download, and then charges a fee for DLC that varies on size, therefore it is cheaper for the developer to pack as much content in the initial download as possible.

owlbeak

WTF Happened to SIMON Belmont? I've only played the Castlevania games on NES/SNES and Symphony of the Night and this.

ALSO, WTF is up the the piano and numbered paintings in Chapter 2? Surely there is something you can do with the piano or numbered portraits to do SOMETHING?

godhandiscen said:
Why the fuck do people complain about unlock keys? Just because the content was there from the beggining doesn't mean it was free for them to develop. The reason whythey pack this content with the initial download is because MS charges a flat fee for the initial download, and then charges a fee for DLC that varies on size, therefore it is cheaper for the developer to pack as much content in the initial download as possible.

We care because they are exploiting their fan base. No it wasnt free for them to develop but becasue it was made before the release, the already pricey 1200 points should have covered it, but no why give fans the complete game when we can screw them over and make them pay more for what should have been there in the start.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Horsebite said:
WTF Happened to SIMON Belmont? I've only played the Castlevania games on NES/SNES and Symphony of the Night and this.

ALSO, WTF is up the the piano and numbered paintings in Chapter 2? Surely there is something you can do with the piano or numbered portraits to do SOMETHING?
Those were taken from the DS games. Nothing special about them other than that. It seems most of the game is inspired/taken from the more recent DS titles.

Beth Cyra

Horsebite said:

Simon has had a leading role in more games then any other Castlevania character not to mention they do bring him out for fans on a regular basis (Dream TV Fighters, Castlevania Judgement) so him not being here isn't like they are doing anything wrong by letting other Castlevania characters have the spot light.

As for your second thing, I don't know because I am forced to wait until next month to play the game, so I don't even know how many people will still be playing damn it.

Top Bottom