• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Horsebite said:
I don't think any commercial reviewers actually know what this game was supposed to be. It was never supposed to be a story based game. Just a coop castle crawl with friends with Castlevania characters.

I love this game, my friends and I are at Dracula but can't get past his
third form
!

Memorize the pattern. Pay attention to the colors he uses before he casts spells.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looking for some people to play Level 4-6 on normal with. Anyone up for it?

So, I've got a good group of fellas to play this game with but one of us just keeps getting dropped a few mins in to a game, every time, reliably every time.

He says his router is a bit janky but it hasn't given any problems in any other games the same way, do you think he'd be better served getting a new router or is Castlevania's netcode bullshit?

It seems like he just gets kicked off of live after the game starts, and then he can sign back in again right away. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Teknoman said:
By the way, anyone know if the older 360 headsets receive voices louder than the new/most recent headsets with the large mute on/off switch? For some reason voices seem to come through alot quieter on my newer headset than the old white one that came with the pro near release.
The older headsets were much better than the newer model. You basically have to shove the mic into your mouth for it to pick up any sound. They really suck.

Wizpig

SonOfABeep said:
So, I've got a good group of fellas to play this game with but one of us just keeps getting dropped a few mins in to a game, every time, reliably every time.

He says his router is a bit janky but it hasn't given any problems in any other games the same way, do you think he'd be better served getting a new router or is Castlevania's netcode bullshit?

It seems like he just gets kicked off of live after the game starts, and then he can sign back in again right away. Doesn't seem to make sense.
1) Everyone must have an open NAT on the 360
2) if everyone already has an open NAT, it's his router and or provider
3) it's not the netcode
AndyMoogle said:
The older headsets were much better than the newer model. You basically have to shove the mic into your mouth for it to pick up any sound. They really suck.
The Xbox 1 headsets were much better than the 360 ones.
I have a 360-day-one headset, it could be one of the older models you talk about, but it's still a lot worse than the Xbox 1 one.
The audio quality in Xbox Live got worse.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I would so buy this game with local co-op, online only is a severe fail.

Online will be dead in what, two, three weeks? With maybe a week revival once the game goes on sale?

fernoca

But local coop wouldn't work that well. Only up to 4 people (online offers up to 6) and they would need to stay really close to each other (while online everyone can go on their own without bothering the other players' screen); because splitscreen would be just a disaster.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
fernoca said:
But local coop wouldn't work that well. Only up to 4 people (online offers up to 6) and they would need to stay really close to each other (while online everyone can go on their own without bothering the other players' screen); because splitscreen would be just a disaster.
Eh, seems like lazy excuses. I'd rather play with people I know other than horny little racist boys breathing heavily into mics.

fernoca

Princess Skittles said:
Eh, seems like lazy excuses. I'd rather play with people I know other than horny little racist boys breathing heavily into mics.
I play with people I know online. :p

Local coo-op, unless they made some changes to the actual game just wouldn't work the same way as the current one online.

Unless the camera is always like this, so all players play on the same screen:
300s0ok.jpg

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Rad- said:
Yeah Death is very easy to farm. Equip the lightning spell and just hang in the middle magnet, dodging his little scythes and firing lightning whenever you have the MP for it.

Just tried this, didn't have much issue. Thanks.

Shanoa's lightning spell is ridiculously good.

Wizpig said:
1) Everyone must have an open NAT on the 360
2) if everyone already has an open NAT, it's his router and or provider
3) it's not the netcodeThe Xbox 1 headsets were much better than the 360 ones.
I have a 360-day-one headset, it could be one of the older models you talk about, but it's still a lot worse than the Xbox 1 one.
The audio quality in Xbox Live got worse.
You get much better audio with the wireless headset, so it's not because of XBL.

Princess Skittles said:
You can mute anyone you want on XBL... And there's always people on GAF to play with.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Princess Skittles said:
Those two categories aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Maaseru

Banned
I can't believe how much I'm loving this game. I realized why I love these metroidvanias I don't care about story or anything just mindless looting and fighting[and opening up the mad in the other ones :D], although a level up system should and could have been implemented in an awesome way here!!!

Anyways ANYONE UP FOR A LEVEL 6 RUN? My tag is Marcel San

Wizpig

Maaseru said:
I can't believe how much I'm loving this game. I realized why I love these metroidvanias I don't care about story or anything just mindless looting and fighting[and opening up the mad in the other ones :D], although a level up system should and could have been implemented in an awesome way here!!!

Anyways ANYONE UP FOR A LEVEL 6 RUN? My tag is Marcel San
I am, but we should do a GAF only run, i'm starting to hate playing with people i don't know.

Marcel San, are you on the GAFlevania HD tag?

Wizpig

Ok, we can't do Chapter 1 AGAIN, we need to create a lobby only with people who unlocked chapter 5 ...

I'm sorry about having to invite a thousand times, really, but this lobby system is quite terrible.

Teppic

fernoca said:
They could make it so you always start together and the camera follows one person. If someone goes off too far the camera would zoom out a little first, then he'll be teleported to the camera follower if he's going off too far. This wouldn't be perfect as you can't collect all the chests, but it would be much more fun than playing the game solo.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Teppic said:
They could make it so you always start together and the camera follows one person. If someone goes off too far the camera would zoom out a little first, then he'll be teleported to the camera follower if he's going off too far. This wouldn't be perfect as you can't collect all the chests, but it would be much more fun than playing the game solo.
thumbsup.gif

I'm sure there are other solutions too, many, probably.

Teppic said:
They only have so much time and money to put in to this game... :lol

Btw, can you do anything with the piano in chapter 2?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AndyMoogle said:
They only have so much time and money to put in to this game... :lol

Konami: Fuck it. Iga can live on Ramen for the next three years. Order him to do local co-op.

Teknoman

Princess Skittles said:

To be fair, some of the random people that are playing the game seem furthest way from that. Its just like playing Virtual On, Castle Crashers, or Lost Planet online...most of the people that are into those series, which are pretty niche games, dont act that way.

Scarecrow

I guess there must be something wrong with my wireless adapter or something. I frequently see the groups I'm playing with jank around, plus their voice communication is stuttering.

Ridley327

Hard Mode is crazy; the enemy speeds are twice what they normally are and they tend to do at least 50 HP worth of damage per hit. The loot is much better, though.

Myomoto

Finally killed Dracula in single player. My tactic was to bring a two-handed weapon to Dracula, since when he is in his third form, he is unable to hit you with his hands when you're crouching, but you can hit him because of the arc of your attack. Now, the trick is to simply slide under him and wail at him until he starts casting spells, at which point you simply slide out from underneath him and evade the attack.

The attack I had the most trouble evading myself, was those rainbow triangles. The trick to evading them is to stand in the corner that is the furthest away from Dracula, then double jump to evade the first two triangles, the next two should miss you automatically, then double jump to evade the next triangle, and the last should fly over your head.

Also: You get a bitchin' Alucard gamer picture for beating him, AND I got the fucker's soul on my first attempt! :D

Ridley327 said:
Hard Mode is crazy; the enemy speeds are twice what they normally are and they tend to do at least 50 HP worth of damage per hit. The loot is much better, though.

Really? I didn't find the hard chapter 1 loot to be very desirable. Seemed on par with chapter 4/5 on normal.

Maaseru

Banned
Wizpig said:
I am, but we should do a GAF only run, i'm starting to hate playing with people i don't know.

Marcel San, are you on the GAFlevania HD tag?
Nope how do I do that?

Anywyas I'll be later playing , maybe all night maybe not add me Marcel San is my tag

Myomoto

Maaseru said:
Nope how do I do that?

Anywyas I'll be later playing , maybe all night maybe not add me Marcel San is my tag

Just friend request that gamer tag, then go to its friends tab when playing online to see people that are attached to it.

Ridley327 said:
You just proved it's better. :lol

Eh.

Edit: I love that weird ass items like the sunstone made it into the game. Seriously, what the hell?

Foffy

Banned
Does anyone have a complete list of all of the Subweapons/Spells/Glyphs/Scrolls yet? I just need to know how much I have to grind to complete all of the characters. :lol

Wizpig

Maaseru said:
Nope how do I do that?

"Add GAFlevania HD if want to play with other gaffers."

Basically you add that tag to your friends and then you check GAFlevania HD's friends (everyone on GAF who has the game) when you want to invite someone.

abq

Since there are no numbers appear above the puppets to indicate damage, I wonder whether you need to do X ammount of damage or just hit them X times.

Wizpig

abq said:
Since there are no numbers appear above the puppets to indicate damage, I wonder whether you need to do X ammount of damage or just hit them X times.
One of this game's biggest problems. (... what i mean is that if you are playing in 6 and 2 or 3 die you CAN'T beat the boss, that's not enough to destroy a puppet it seems)

My major gripe with the game is that you can't see the damn gamertag above the player's character.
Oh look, four Shanoas! (I'm basically always the purple one, by the way)

Another big problem seems to be balance between character; i guess we'll see.
Also... let me think... I don't get PvP.

lol
After a few hours, I finally found a game doing HARD mode puppet (Chap 2).

We killed the puppet boss after 3 tries, AND THE LAST SURVIVING GUY GETS KILLED IN THE IRON MAIDEN BEFORE TAKING THE CHEST.

Then host quits.

fucking lol.

Matchmaking needs a HARD mode only search option.

Coldsnap

I have come to realize soma is useless until you get that RPG. I'm going to grind some money then blow the shit out of puppet master

Teknoman

Yeah if anything, a small gamer tag display needs to be toggled (maybe by pressing select/back?).

Im starting to recognize voices, but it helps when you know exactly whos talking and where they are, without having to ask.

Also some of the default themes dont fit the stages imo, so here's my set up:

CH1: default because Ruined Castle Corridor and Dark Night are awesome.

CH2: default (same)

CH3: changed boss music to The Colossus (obvious reasons)

CH4: Main music - Tanz mit einem Clown (Gaze up at the Darkness just seems not to fit the area, especially since its not really all that fast paced of a stage).

Boss music - Piercing Silence (The fight involves alot more dodging and pattern recognition than the past 3, and the theme just seems to fit this type of situation).

CH5: changed boss music to Order of Demon (You're fighting Death, second in command to Dracula. Deserves an epic boss theme)

CH6: Crimson Blood
Boss music 1: Dance of Illusions (obvious reasons)
Boss music 2: Ein Weltherrscher (seems like a perfect final boss theme)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Princess Skittles said:

What possesses you to play online games with pubbies?

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Im starting to recognize voices, but it helps when you know exactly whos talking and where they are, without having to ask.
Well, I don't talk, basically. P:
I'd like to, but my English is a cheesy and Italianish English...

I want a patch where they add gamertags on characters and a search/lobby system that actually works.
Guess what? it'll never happen.

Teppic

The puppet master fight is really unfair. First it's easy, just hit him and destroy the dolls. Then he starts to move around the map, making us go through long detours to get to him. In the meantime he'll make puppets and kill us.

Is there any more unfair bosses like this one in the game?

Top Bottom