• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Vamphuntr

Sectus said:
Nice find!

Darnit, they should just release what they have ready of the DLC already.

Depends on the price. If it's 2$ okay for me. I'm not paying 5-10$ for that since it's an arcade game that was already 15$. I suppose they are waiting to space them out a bit and ask $$$ for it. I hope I am wrong.

Wizpig

Ridley327 said:
I'm so glad Kojima unfucked Maria; her redesign in DXC was distractingly bizarre for no good reason.
Yeah, it wasn't BAD, but... short hair... dunno.
At least now we have two versions of the character by Kojima.
Sectus said:
Pffft. Just release the entire game on retail and I'd be willing to play full price.
If by full price you mean €40 with 15 levels and better balance count me in :p

Wizpig

Lothars said:
I hope they release all the dlc soon and it's fairly priced.
In a perfect world, fairly priced (since it's reused sprites and the game is already 1200, which is not cheap) would be around 80 points per character and 100 for the level, maybe less.

But my world =/= microsoft and konami's
It's not going to happen; i also think these kind of DLCs have a minimum price that Microsoft chooses, and when you get gamerpics for 80 points you know that's not going to be a suitable price for an actual DLC.

Of course the best solution would be the level for free so that anyone can play it (if 50% of the players buy it and 50% don't... meh) and the characters for 100 points each or something like that.

Basically, make the characters premium content; after all, i don't need new characters for free, because i honestly have lots of other characters to play as already.
What everyone needs in this game is new levels, and they need them for free.

Vamphuntr

Wizpig said:
best solution would be the level for free so that anyone can play it (if 50% of the players buy it and 50% don't... meh) and the characters for 100 points each or something like that.

They will probably patch the game for everyone and you will pay for unlock keys so you can play with those that paid for the content.

Foffy

Banned
Is anyone down for playing Survival Mode and grinding Subweapons/Glyphs with me? The Astra Ring/Master Ring is a good combo for that, but all of the games I've seen tonight have been on the normal stage, which is a direct versus match with other players.

And as usual, they use spamming sword characters like Soma and Alucard.

Cynar

Foffy said:
Is anyone down for playing Survival Mode and grinding Subweapons/Glyphs with me? The Astra Ring/Master Ring is a good combo for that, but all of the games I've seen tonight have been on the normal stage, which is a direct versus match with other players.

And as usual, they use spamming sword characters like Soma and Alucard.

you can level subweapons in survival mode? I'm down with that since I'd love to level up jonathan some more and the 7-9 grind is brutal

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Vamphuntr said:
Pretty sure it's because he has no cooldown animation. It's a powerful weapon with a useful damage box. All of the other power weapons with a wide damage area like big sword, axes, spears have a nasty cooldown. Since he has no Katana animation in SOTN they did not add one. I guess in the list of stuff to enable on Alucard they forgot these. (obviously he can't use gun, that would be silly no he has no gun in SOTN and so no stock animation).

Yatsutsuna in Symphony of the Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5qOJr1Ym8

Descripton of weapon from Gamefaqs, in SOTN (PS version): http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/196885-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night/faqs/22725

Yasutsuna Katana - Yasutsuna-make katana. Atk+60, Def-20; Bloody; Very Fast
C1/2: None
Other: Arguably the most powerful Two Handed Weapon of all. This weapon has
the Automatic Whirl of Blades property, which means that it performs a 0 MP
Whirl of Blades attack whenever you swing it! It ALSO has the Swing While
Moving property, which means that Alucard can run while swinging this weapon,
instead of stopping to swing as he would with other weapons. These two
automatic abilities make this one deadly (and useful) weapon! This weapon
DOES have one major drawback: it gives Alucard a -20 Def penalty.
Overall Rating: ***** - Swing While Moving plus Automatic Whirl of Blades =
Alucard the Walking Slice-o-matic. Seek this weapon out!

(I had forgotten it's name in SOTN was the same, though I knew I remembered a similiar wep)

If anything is a "glitch", it could be the fact it's no longer 2 handed, or that it no longer takes away defense. But to act as if it's ability to slash while walking, or it's fast attack speed, is a glitch, is pretty ridiculous.

---

Anywho, since there's "no honor among gamers", a patch that allows people to turn off top tier weps in their public games could be nice. They could even take it one step further, and give the game new "modes" by allowing certain mutations/playlist to be set upon the room (2h weapons only, only magic use, stage runs with only default weaponry, and runs with "developers choice" item sets for each character per stage, for example.)

Hope we see Alucard get some weps back, also. I'd love to see the return of the Heaven's sword, if it's not already in the game. Also rather enjoyed the Holy sword, too. I don't think I ever had the Runesword, at the end of this vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CihEqVBLXCQ

abq

Coldsnap said:
What's the chances of us getting 6 people togather for all boned out and the charmed achievement tonight?
If you still need help, send me a message if you see me online and I can probably help with the charmed achievement at least.

Wizpig

SAB CA said:
They could even take it one step further, and give the game new "modes" by allowing certain mutations/playlist to be set upon the room (2h weapons only, only magic use, stage runs with only default weaponry, and runs with "developers choice" item sets for each character per stage, for example.)
Goddamn why are all the best ideas from fans who can't actually change the game, and Konami will never think of this?

Saerk

I somehow glitched into being able to access hard chapter 6. I think I got access because the last game I hosted was normal chapter 6, then I joined a hard chapter 2/3 game (we failed 3). Chapter 2 hard is the last completed chapter for me. After leaving that game my chapter selection for solo was set back to chapter 6, but it was on hard difficulty now. I did a couple of chest runs and managed to grab simon's sandals, simon's bandana, mojo mail, samurai set, heavy armor (makes you slow though), holy water (finally, still need kunai and cross), astral ring, and a second sage ring (do they stack?). That gear should mark for a serious improvement in survivability for my Johnathan.

Saerk

Wizpig said:
About 58.381 purchased this and played at least level 1 in CoOp.

Meh...

That is about $900k. I doubt the development costs were anywhere near that much with all the recycled assets. Mind you they don't get the full cut, but add in future sales and probably a PSN release and they will make some money off of this.

robot

abq said:
If you still need help, send me a message if you see me online and I can probably help with the charmed achievement at least.

I may send you a message for help with the charmed achievement sometime tonight if you dont mind (xbl is pepperjack). I'd also be down for the others if we can get 6 people.

Sectus

I don't think that's bad actually. Looking at the other XBLA releases this month, it's the second best in first week sales(although there are no numbers for Deadliest Warrior). Limbo completely destroys it, but that seems to be one of the few lucky XBLA games to be super successful.

Based on leaderboards, it has already beat the total sales for games like Puzzle Quest 2, Doom 2 and Earthworm Jim HD.

Wizpig said:

Meh...
I dunno, how many copies did the last DS game sell? 58k seems like a decent enough number for a game with almost entirely reused art assets.

Ridley327

I think Segata mentioned that OoE sold well over 150k in its first couple of weeks in the US. That was also a lot more expensive to make, due to all the new assets they ended up making for it.

Sectus

Ridley327 said:
I think Segata mentioned that OoE sold well over 150k in its first couple of weeks in the US. That was also a lot more expensive to make, due to all the new assets they ended up making for it.
Isn't DS a much bigger market than XBLA too? I think there's less than 5 games which has been able to break 1 million sales on XBLA.

robot said:
I'm down, add me to xbl (pepperjack)
Nice. Will do when I can get online. I'm thinking somewhere around 7pm EST would be pretty good if that will work for everyone else. Anyone else up for the Boned achievement?

c2morg

Bought this last week. Totally disappointed, i love the ds games, why could they just not stick to the proven formula? No levelling is insane. I know you guys will jump on me for this but it's just boring. If it was a physical game i would of returned it :(

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
c2morg said:
Bought this last week. Totally disappointed, i love the ds games, why could they just not stick to the proven formula? No levelling is insane. I know you guys will jump on me for this but it's just boring. If it was a physical game i would of returned it :(
Use Jonathan, his subweapons have magical meters that increase and a lvl number that increments when the meter reaches a certain point.

Ridley327

Sectus said:
Isn't DS a much bigger market than XBLA too? I think there's less than 5 games which has been able to break 1 million sales on XBLA.
Well, there is certainly a rather large userbase difference. :lol

The handheld audience for the game has been a very loyal one in the west, even if they haven't set the world afire with its figures.

Sectus

c2morg said:
Every character has a system which is roughly the same as levelling.

Jonathan becomes more powerful every time you attack an enemy with sub weapons. Shanoa gets better weapons and spells by using them. Charlotte becomes more powerful by absorbing spells. Soma gets more and better souls by killing enemies. Alucard becomes more powerful by picking up spells (from enemies and treasure chests).

It may not be identical to a traditional levelling system, but it's certainly similar.

Wizpig

I ******* hate that ****** ******* Charmed achievement, i fail it everytime.

This time Charlotte had roughly 80 hp, but my melee attacks did her 1 hp damage per attack for some reason, you have to be lucky, and if you fail you have to do the whole level again.

Dunno guys, i need help on this one...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
c2morg said:

No you wouldn't, because "would of returned it" doesn't mean anything.

Wizpig said:

This time Charlotte had roughly 80 hp, but my melee attacks did her 1 hp damage per attack for some reason, you have to be lucky, and if you fail you have to do the whole level again.

Have you gotten Boned? Trying to get a group together to pull that off tonight. Maybe someone that has gotten Poetic Justice can jump in and help with that too.

Wizpig

BMX Bandit said:
Have you gotten Boned? Trying to get a group together to pull that off tonight. Maybe someone that has gotten Poetic Justice can jump in and help with that too.
Yeah we did an achievement run for Boned here on GAF.
I can help either way if it's not too late. (GMT +2 here)

Sectus

Wizpig said:

You know of the alternate way of getting that achievement? The Imp enemies can take control over a player for a short time, and if you kill the player while he's controlled you'll get the achievement. It's really easy to setup in chapter 3 since imps respawn all over the place. Just make sure the player who's being controlled has very little health.

This has to be set up with a friend though. No way you can do that in a normal game by chance.

Wizpig

BMX Bandit said:
Ah, nice. Trying to set it up for 7pm EST(which is GMT -5 I believe).
It's almost 2pm EST, right?
So in 5 hours... it's going to be 2 AM here, i don't know if i will be online unfortunately.

@Sectus: REALLY?!!???! thanks!

Wizpig said:
It's almost 2pm EST, right?
So in 5 hours... it's going to be 2 AM here, i don't know if i will be online unfortunately.

@Sectus: REALLY?!!???! thanks!
It's almost 3pm now, but yeah completely understandable. Thanks for offering.

Sectus

If people hasn't done so already, I recommend going through the leaderboards and downloading random top replays, they're kinda nuts to watch! I particularly recommend the replays with Charlotte as they tend to be more varied and original. Most of the replays are with Alucard and Soma spamming the ultra super weapon, so they're less exiciting, still fun to watch though.

OnPoint

Anybody up for helping me either unlock the last 4 levels on hard or grinding for Shanoa's good weapon?

Edit: lol guess not. Maybe I'll ask again later haha

Wizpig

Yaaay, new achievements unlocked.

But...

92301af1e4c951b368141db993708700.png

:|

Sectus said:
You know of the alternate way of getting that achievement? The Imp enemies can take control over a player for a short time, and if you kill the player while he's controlled you'll get the achievement. It's really easy to setup in chapter 3 since imps respawn all over the place. Just make sure the player who's being controlled has very little health.

This has to be set up with a friend though. No way you can do that in a normal game by chance.
Tried this, it's even harder :(

No other takers for Boned? Oh well. Looks like we should maybe plan on another time? Anyone still interested in this feel free to send me a PM or post here.

Sectus

Wizpig said:
Tried this, it's even harder :(
Even harder? It was fairly straightforward for me when I set it up.

-Find a long flat area.
-Lure imp.
-Make sure other player has so low health he'll die in one hit.
-Have your friend dodge the Imp until he does the little laugh animation and then let him grab your friend.
-Shout "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!" and then murder your friend. Preferably with a weapon which doesn't have much vertical reach, just to make sure you don't hit the imp instead.

It should be much easier than doing it during the dracula fight at least. I've heard someone say that succubus can control male characters too, but I've never seen that happen.

robot

BMX Bandit said:
No other takers for Boned? Oh well. Looks like we should maybe plan on another time? Anyone still interested in this feel free to send me a PM or post here.

i'll be on around 9 est if you get anyone else to join.

Is Maria one of the rumored DLC characters?

Did Iga ever make a sprite of her that would work in this game?

And anyone post this yet?

037.jpg

It's supposed to be the new pyramid level. From 1up.

Wizpig said:

Meh...
You also have to consider that there are people who only play it in single player. And like other people have said, this game didn't cost much to make. I would be surprised if they haven't gotten their money back already.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is Maria one of the rumored DLC characters?

Did Iga ever make a sprite of her that would work in this game?
Maria and Julius are coming as DLC. They have ripped the Rondo of Blood sprite for Maria.

IGA doesn't do these games alone you know...

Top Bottom