• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Cynar

I know I'm dreaming but I'm hoping we get up to 15 levels for this game. I'd be happy if we got up to 10 or 12 though. :p

New gamerpics are for sale at 80msp each by the way. Charlotte pack, Shanoa pack, Jonathan pack and Dracula pack.

Wizpig

Cynar said:
New gamerpics are for sale at 80msp each by the way. Charlotte pack, Shanoa pack, Jonathan pack and Dracula pack.
=@

But i wanted free ones!!

Thanks for the news, though.

Cynar said:
I know I'm dreaming but I'm hoping we get up to 15 levels for this game. I'd be happy if we got up to 10 or 12 though. :p

I'm going to very surprised if Konami decide to support this game after they've released the 7th map and 2 extra characters.

Vamphuntr

This game is so poorly balanced... Death and Dracula are extremly challenging on hard. There are some exploits you can use though :lol .

These exploits makes Charlotte, Alucard and Soma the best characters on hard.

With Alucard there is a glitch with the Yamatsuna Katana. This was clearly a weapon created for Soma (Katana in his games) and only him has a Katana animation. The weapon normally create a cloud of slashes in front of you with a nice huge damage box (and does good damages!) but it has a cooldown time with Soma where he put back the blade in his sheath. Since this game is only made of assets from past games, Alucard has no katana in sheath animation like Soma does. Basically if you keep pressing the attack button with said Katana on Alucard (only one required, you can have a shield on the other hand), you will keep your cloud going, damaging everything extremely quickly. You can also move while doing it :lol (and no. equipping 2 katanas on Soma will not reproduce that, I tried). It's really a glitch since normally you can't walk while hitting with a sword. Also the animation of the slashes is not complete it's missing the central lightning slash. The only non glitched weapon that let you attack quickly by pressing the attack button are the mach punch and whip knuckles and they have 1/3 or 1/4 the strength of the Katana (all three are 4 stars weapon in the compendium).

With Charlotte and Soma simply boost the spell/soul you get from the Frozen Shade ( the spinning ice blades that eventually fires at the enemy). Normally the higher the level, the more ice lances you get but with this spell you can keep pressing the attack button to create more and more lances until your MP run out. Simply stand under Dracula and spam this spell at high level. Equiping stuff that refill your mp quickly will help. If you're Charlotte then you can equip the Astral Ring and spam the heal spell when your HP is low. This also works with the summoning spells but not with most projectiles spell.

If you want to farm items play single player with Soma. Make sure you have the puppet master soul and the medusa head soul. Go to Stage 5 on hard. With Soma you can access the purple chests (best items in these) by yourself. With the puppet master soul you can bypass the flame wall that require 2 persons to pass. With puppet master you can also reach the mirror easily in on the top of the stage. Jump kick on the small clock to reach the big clock's hands and jump on the moving platform. Depending on the positions of the hands, you might also reach them with puppet master. To get the other purple chest on the other side of the mirror, simply use medusa soul to fly across the gap while you are falling (press the RB repeatedly). Even if you die, you keep the items. You can also farm in stage 6 on hard. Make sure you equip the mach punch so you can kill the final guards quickly.

Pretty much everyone I played with online used these two tricks to win against Death and Dracula...

They better release the rumoured stage 7 and the 2 DLC quickly because I don't think interest will last much longer...

Cynar

Vamphuntr said:
What's the point of those asides from getting an high score? Rumours were talking about unlocking an extra stage but it's fake since I have all 6 already...

Only point is for getting a high score. I've heard some rumours that were as silly as unlocking another character but now that the final one has been found we can pretty much put all of those rumours to rest.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Vamphuntr said:
With Alucard there is a glitch with the Yamatsuna Katana. This was clearly a weapon created for Soma (Katana in his games) and only him has a Katana animation. The weapon normally create a cloud of slashes in front of you with a nice huge damage box (and does good damages!) but it has a cooldown time with Soma where he put back the blade in his sheath. Since this game is only made of assets from past games, Alucard has no katana in sheath animation like Soma does. Basically if you keep pressing the attack button with said Katana on Alucard (only one required, you can have a shield on the other hand), you will keep your cloud going, damaging everything extremely quickly. You can also move while doing it :lol (and no. equipping 2 katanas on Soma will not reproduce that, I tried). It's really a glitch since normally you can't walk while hitting with a sword. Also the animation of the slashes is not complete it's missing the central lightning slash. The only non glitched weapon that let you attack quickly by pressing the attack button are the mach punch and whip knuckles and they have 1/3 or 1/4 the strength of the Katana (all three are 4 stars weapon in the compendium).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqDT7lAocAc

It's not a glitch. It's just a throwback to crazy weapons like that thing there. The "Metroidvania" version of the series has always had ultimate weapons of ridiculous power, or things that where just outright ridiculous and fun to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbbnepAjos

Every character in this game, technically, is missing a lot of the "overpowered" stuff they had in their own games. Jonathan and Charlotte are missing certain dual crushes, and Charlotte can't charge up her spells anymore, Soma is missing the ability to transform into huge beast and pretty much RUN THROUGH ENTIRE ROOMS OF ENEMIES in a single pass. Alucard is missing Familiars, the ability to combine weapons like a shield and shield rod for certain attacks... And I haven't played Shanoa, but I know she's missing a lot of glyphs.

But this level of power... this is just the way the Metroidvanias are. They give you obscenely powerful tools at endgame, as kind of a "you've seen everything, now have some fun!" prize. It's a classic idea that I really miss in many games.

Every character in this game has 1 or 2 really powerful tools. Some might be a bit better at certain things than others, but that doesn't make any of it unbalanced. For example, as many people as you hear complain about Jonathan's lack of main wep variety, how many ever mention that many of his his martial arts have invincibility frames, that allows him to get treasures blocked by co-op traps, while solo?

Random note: I remember hearing on Gfaqs that not only does the DLC come with the new enemies and characters, but also new stuff for the old characters as well. Soma gets a new soul or 2, and Charlotte apparently has at least one new spell to learn.

Regardless of how/when you believe the content to be created, I still appreciate such details. It's be great to always have new reasons to revisit old characters, when new DLC is released.

Hige

Just finished getting Slaughtervania (10,000 kills total for the 5 characters) for the 200/200. :D

Not sure if it's the absolute quickest way, but my method should yield 1,092 kills per hour. I took Charlotte to chapter 3 hard mode with an astral ring and spammed splash needle to kill 14 enemies in the long hallway. After that, you can jump into the axe armor right above where you start to end the level. Hope that helps.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So what's considered high stats in this game? My offense/defense hovers in the 60s. How much higher does it go? How much would you consider qualifies for "broken, god-tier" stats?

abq

Witchfinder General said:
So what's considered high stats in this game? My offense/defense hovers in the 60s. How much higher does it go? How much would you consider qualifies for "broken, god-tier" stats?
It's not as much about the stats as it is what dps you can output and how easy you can do it without getting hit.

Coldsnap

Hige said:
Just finished getting Slaughtervania (10,000 kills total for the 5 characters) for the 200/200. :D

Not sure if it's the absolute quickest way, but my method should yield 1,092 kills per hour. I took Charlotte to chapter 3 hard mode with an astral ring and spammed splash needle to kill 14 enemies in the long hallway. After that, you can jump into the axe armor right above where you start to end the level. Hope that helps.

Do you know if its 10,000 total amongst characters or just for one?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Any Jonathan users here?

I got Simon's sandals and bandanna yesterday and they have some nice stats for STR, DEF, and ATK. Is the Simon's set the best armor for Jonathan?

Wizpig

SailorDaravon said:
I just saw those up on Marketplace and thought of you :lol
:D
Cynar said:
The easter egg for stage 2 has been found. Someone on gamefaqs emailed Konami and asked and Konami happily obliged with the answer. Here's the image with the piano keys to get it:
That's actually pretty awesome! :D
But does that mean those numbered portraits are useless...?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Wizpig said:
:D That's actually pretty awesome! :D
But does that mean those numbered portraits are useless...?
I know they were in Dawn of Sorrow. Maybe just reused sprites for no reason?

Wizpig

DRock said:
I know they were in Dawn of Sorrow. Maybe just reused sprites for no reason?
Yeah, basically i thought the PIANO was the one being reused for no reason, and that the portraits were the key for the secret item.

Sectus

I wish the ridiculously powerful weapons for Soma and Alucard didn't exist. I guess it's good for people who want uber rare drops go hunt for, but they become stupidly powerful with it. Playing with people using them is a bit dull as they just run forward killing everything with very little effort.

Cynar

Sectus said:
I wish the ridiculously powerful weapons for Soma and Alucard didn't exist. I guess it's good for people who want uber rare drops go hunt for, but they become stupidly powerful with it. Playing with people using them is a bit dull as they just run forward killing everything with very little effort.

I just got kicked from a game because I wanted to play Jonathan and there were 5 soma's wanting to farm those swords. :lol I'm glad a few of my friends picked this up because randoms are annoying as hell.

DRock said:
Any Jonathan users here?

I got Simon's sandals and bandanna yesterday and they have some nice stats for STR, DEF, and ATK. Is the Simon's set the best armor for Jonathan?

Yup, I'm still working on Simon's Plate/Chest which seems to only drop from Dracula.

Vamphuntr

Sectus said:

They are only powerful for Alucard. Equipping two katanas on Soma won't reproduce the endless turbo slashes you can get by equipping one on Alucard. You can do the rainbow slash that attack thrice but it costs 15 mp (down, down-right , right ). Still sure it's a glitch with Alucard. It's also the only way to defeat dracula online right now (with the frozen shade spell) if you are stuck with 4 useless characters with terrible weapons that tag along only for the omgz lol achievements. If you don't kill his third form quickly he'll start to spam megido.

Vamphuntr said:
They are only powerful for Alucard. Equipping two katanas on Soma won't reproduce the endless turbo slashes you can get by equipping one on Alucard.
You're talking about the Yasutsunas.

Equip 2 Valmanway on Soma and you can slice and dice while running, and it's freaking fast.

Vamphuntr

theMrCravens said:
You're talking about the Yasutsunas.

Equip 2 Valmanway on Soma and you can slice and dice while running, and it's freaking fast.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Didn't try with two Valmanway. Will try tonight since I have those.

Is there anything game breaking like that with Shanoa and Jonathan or are they completely useless. With most Shanoa I played they mostly do they lightning spell and the nova beam and that's it.

Vamphuntr said:
Is there anything game breaking like that with Shanoa and Jonathan or are they completely useless. With most Shanoa I played they mostly do they lightning spell and the nova beam and that's it.
They aren't useless, just not as broken as the other 3.

I'd say they are nicely "balanced" for the game.

Ridley327

Double Pneumas and backdash canceling make Shanoa quite lethal in most cases. Also, her lightning spell can shoot past barriers (like Dullahan's armor or Dracula's claws) to do direct damage. She's quite handy, really.

Vamphuntr

theMrCravens said:

Maybe I went a bit far but honestly if you are playing online on Hard against the final boss you need firepower.I guess the persons I played with last night kinda make them seem useless to me. They all wanted to farm items from Dracula on hard but out of the 6 players in the game, we were only two that were actually damaging him. The other 4 were Shanoa and Jonathan jumping from the sides of the room doing barely any damage at all. Whinning over the Mic and spamming the All Yours command.

Wizpig

Vamphuntr said:
They are only powerful for Alucard. Equipping two katanas on Soma won't reproduce the endless turbo slashes you can get by equipping one on Alucard. You can do the rainbow slash that attack thrice but it costs 15 mp (down, down-right , right ). Still sure it's a glitch with Alucard. It's also the only way to defeat dracula online right now (with the frozen shade spell) if you are stuck with 4 useless characters with terrible weapons that tag along only for the omgz lol achievements. If you don't kill his third form quickly he'll start to spam megido.
I don't get this, i just think it's an op weapon, but why a glitch?

But as i said, this is why we need Very Hard, with enemies that you can't just turbo slash or lightning to death.

Also, i unfortunately have to play as Alucard, because i need new drops.
But since i got the turbo slash weapon it's less fun.
Makes me wish i could play as Shanoa again.

Maybe I'll start Jonathan, does he get lots of unique drops so that i can unlock that achievement of 300 items while having fun?
theMrCravens said:

To think that Shanoa was considered op in the first days of the game. (because of lightning).

Bah.
I still think she's the best character in the game fun-wise, unfortunately she has 3 weapons and 4 spells, sooo...

Sectus

Has anyone been able to find highres versions of the concept art for the 5 characters by the way?

Vamphuntr said:
I have no idea what weapon they're using, but I've played with a few Somas who just run forward doing these weird slashes which does an insane amount of damage killing everything in their path. It did honestly ruin a bit of the fun. I think I'll just stick to playing with friends who hasn't unlocked overpowered weaponry.

Coxswain

Vamphuntr said:
Shanoa with double-Pneuma can put out comparable (lower, mind you, but comparable) damage to dual Yasutsuna/Valmanway, with the added benefit against Dracula of not needing to ever set foot inside his hands, making it significantly easier to not get hit.

Wizpig

Sectus said:
Has anyone been able to find highres versions of the concept art for the 5 characters by the way?
No :\
This is the best i got.

alcard.jpg

jonathan.jpg

shanoa.jpg

soma.jpg

charlotte.jpg

Ridley327

Wizpig said:
I still think she's the best character in the game fun-wise, unfortunately she has 3 weapons and 4 spells, sooo...

She makes up for her lack of weaponry with being able to equip most of the armor in the game, both male and female. You can really customize her to a great degree.

Wizpig said:
But as i said, this is why we need Very Hard, with enemies that you can't just turbo slash or lightning to death.
Meh... I think the game is fine with 2 difficulty settings if there weren't any broken stuff.

...BUT I wouldn't have released it with only 6 stages.
9-10 would've been perfect.

Vamphuntr

Wizpig said:
I don't get this, i just think it's an op weapon, but why a glitch?

I already posted why I think so in a older post in this page. I will try with the Valmanway on Soma tonight but I did play with a Yamatsuna Alucard. There is no sword at all in his hand and no real animation like Soma have. If you use the katana on Soma there is a cooldown (animation where he put the blade in his sheath) which prevent spamming. Also the main slash comes from the blade and has lightning on it. If you want to multislash you have to pay 15 mp for the rainbow slash which gives you 3 slashes at around 75% of the normal damage you do with the blade. With Alucard you only see slashes appear, that's it (you don't get the main one coming form the blade either since he has no blade in his hand). Like they did not want to add a new animation. If you stand still while slashing he does his attack animation with no weapon in his hand. He can also use the rainbow slash. But why bother? Feels really shoddy. It's a 4 stars weapon like the Mach punch which is designed to hit lightning fast (which as a way lower attack power).

Wizpig

Ridley327 said:
She makes up for her lack of weaponry with being able to equip most of the armor in the game, both male and female. You can really customize her to a great degree.
Yes, of course, i have 20+ hours with Shanoa, it's the only character i used basically.
Unfortunately i had to "drop" her because i wasn't getting any new item drops.

I have to try Jonathan or Soma, do you know if Soma's souls count for the 300 items?
Vamphuntr said:
I already posted why I think so in a older post in this page. I will try with the Valmanway on Soma tonight but I did play with a Yamatsuna Alucard. There is no sword at all in his end and no real animation like Soma have. If you use the katana on Soma there is a cooldown (animation where he put the blade in his sheath) which prevent spamming. Also the main slash comes from the blade and has lightning on it. If you want to multislash you have to pay 15 mp for the rainbow slash which gives you 3 slashes at around 75% of the normal damage you do with the blade. With Alucard you only see slashes appear, that's it (you don't get the main one coming form the blade either since he has no blade in his hand). Like they did not want to add a new animation. If you stand still while slashing he does his attack animation with no weapon in his hand. He can also use the rainbow slash. But why bother? Feels really shoddy. It's a 4 stars weapon like the Mach punch which is designed to hit lightning fast (which as a way lower attack power).
Gotcha. :(
theMrCravens said:
...BUT I wouldn't have released it with only 6 stages.
9-10 would've been perfect.
Yeah, agreed on that.

I just hate the fact that the game is not that far from being A LOT more good, almost perfect for what it wants to be, but Konami will never fix it.

Fix the broken things (and HONESTLY, i can only think of Alucard button mash and maybe Charlotte healing spam) and add:

- Very Hard for free
- New levels for free
- New characters as $$$ DLC

Wizpig said:
I just hate the fact that the game is not that far from being A LOT more good, almost perfect for what it wants to be, but Konami will never fix it.

Fix the broken things (and HONESTLY, i can only think of Alucard button mash and maybe Charlotte healing spam) and add:

- Very Hard for free
- New levels for free
Agreed. I also wouldn't mind them fixing the leaderboards by splitting them up by character.

Cynar

Wizpig said:
I have to try Jonathan or Soma, do you know if Soma's souls count for the 300 items?

Soma's souls count. I got the achievement while getting a mimic soul.

Wizpig said:

- Very Hard for free
- New levels for free

I would agree with the button mash with alucard but the healing spam isn't that bad. There's still a second where she's pretty vulnerable between heals and if the player is bad she can be punished for it. Still, a tweek might be good.

I would like new levels for free but we already know that isn't happening. :p I'll be buying them but then again I also bought that premium theme :lol I really want to see this game do well as I enjoy it a lot and have every achievement except for slaughtervania (1k away!)

I would love to see very hard for free though! That would add a ton of replayability right there.

Heretic Kazuma said:
Agreed. I also wouldn't mind them fixing the leaderboards by splitting them up by character.

This would be really nice

Vamphuntr

Wizpig said:

Even worse is that the Yamatsuna Katana is not rare at all. You can get a lot if you play stage 5 often. I had 9 at one point. Also you don't need to use two. I was using a shield in the other hand. You simply mash one button. Pretty sure it's because he has no cooldown animation. It's a powerful weapon with a useful damage box. All of the other power weapons with a wide damage area like big sword, axes, spears have a nasty cooldown. Since he has no Katana animation in SOTN they did not add one. I guess in the list of stuff to enable on Alucard they forgot these. (obviously he can't use gun, that would be silly no he has no gun in SOTN and so no stock animation).

I'm eager to try the 2 Valmanway on Soma now to see what happens, equipping two Yamatsuna do not work on him because you still have ''the cooldown animation''. At least the Valmanway is rare and you can only get it from Dracula to my knowledge. Getting two rare items for having a uber combo would sound ok to me.

Sectus

If anyone wants it, here's all of the character speech from the game: http://www.mediafire.com/?xltv33xtyyr33zw

There's a few interesting things to note. They shout the names of various dual crushes I've haven't seen in the game, for instance "Time Be Still!". Maybe a dual crush with a DLC character?

I mentioned this earlier, but every character shouts the names for
Yoko, Hammer, Julius, Maria, Richter, and Simon
so those sounds like very possible DLC characters.

I got a bad feeling they've got a bunch of content finished that they're just waiting to release with some arbitrary schedule. Either they planned extremely well which character would do which dual crushes, or all of the DLC characters are done already.

Wizpig said:
No :\
This is the best i got.

alcard.jpg

jonathan.jpg

shanoa.jpg

soma.jpg

charlotte.jpg
Yeah, those are ones I found too. I've been able to get the DDS files from the game which are in a bigger resolution, but they're grayscale and the resolution isn't *that* great anyway. Grr!

Vamphuntr

Sectus said:
I mentioned this earlier, but every character shouts the names for
Yoko, Hammer, Julius, Maria, Richter, and Simon
so those sounds like very possible DLC characters.

I got a bad feeling they've got a bunch of content finished that they're just waiting to release with some arbitrary schedule. Either they planned extremely well which character would do which dual crushes, or all of the DLC characters are done already.

Was
Hammer
playable in a Castlevania game?
Yoko was in the extra mode in DoS
but wow they would have to have many new animations to make her and him worthwhile. Unless they end up like Shanoa with few moves and weapons.
Julius, Maria, Simon and Richter
were expected.

Pretty sure they are done with a lot of stuff. According to gamefaqs you can actually use souls for Soma that you would get in the extra DLC stage by hacking the game. The DLC and stage are not in the game but the skills are.

Sectus

Maybe they still made playable sprites for him then? They could have dug those up and implemented it as a new character.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I was just on for a short run. Everytime I get into a team, it gets disbanded before it starts. I had to try about a dozen times (no exaggeration) before I got into a team that actually got a game going.

Vamphuntr

Darkmakaimura said:
I was just on for a short run. Everytime I get into a team, it gets disbanded before it starts. I had to try about a dozen times (no exaggeration) before I got into a team that actually got a game going.

I think it's that people are being more picky now. I had trouble finding a game last night. They clearly want to play in a specific stage and such and they quit if it's not the stage they want.

Top Bottom