• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Wizpig

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is Maria one of the rumored DLC characters?

Did Iga ever make a sprite of her that would work in this game?

And anyone post this yet?

037.jpg

It's supposed to be the new pyramid level. From 1up.
Yeah, basically this new level was known before the game even came out.
Then we got pics and videos of gameplay.

As for Maria

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22798253&postcount=1002

and, as for her sprite... er... Rondo of Blood, i guess!

a150ea0ad30357a11083121df1beafff.png

Vamphuntr

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is Maria one of the rumored DLC characters?

Did Iga ever make a sprite of her that would work in this game?

And anyone post this yet?

037.jpg

It's supposed to be the new pyramid level. From 1up.

Awesome they recycled the pyramid part from DoS and the pyramid level from PoR :lol

Wizpig

Vamphuntr said:
Awesome they recycled the pyramid part from DoS and the pyramid level from PoR :lol
Which pyramid part? o_O
Yeah, the level is that one portrait from PoR, along with its music... the Castlevania HD remix for this music is in the game already and you can listen to it in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fsgOuUFkMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0Vobg8pQM
AndyMoogle said:
You also have to consider that there are people who only play it in single player. And like other people have said, this game didn't cost much to make. I would be surprised if they haven't gotten their money back already.

Maria and Julius are coming as DLC. They have ripped the Rondo of Blood sprite for Maria.

IGA doesn't do these games alone you know...
Since this is a DD game, i don't think anyone plays offline... and the single-player leaderboards actually have LESS people than the CoOp one, so i don't really know.

But yeah, i get that it's not a bad "number" anyway :p

Vamphuntr

Wizpig said:
Which pyramid part? o_O
Yeah, the level is that one portrait from PoR, along with its music... the Castlevania HD remix for this music is in the game already and you can listen to it in-game.

Well in DoS the real final boss is in the egyptian crypt thing with mummy and stuff in the lower part of the castle.

EDIT : I want the weird jump soul with Soma that makes you jump to the ceiling.

Wizpig said:
Since this is a DD game, i don't think anyone plays offline... and the single-player leaderboards actually have LESS people than the CoOp one, so i don't really know.

But yeah, i get that it's not a bad "number" anyway :p
I didn't mean offline. I meant just playing single player without ever trying the multiplayer. Easily enough people who do that to push the sales over 60k.

Anyone willing to help me out for a hard run 1-6? Ive rarely done co-op and I know I can't do a hard run alone. Also up for some achievements.

Iron E Man said:
Anyone willing to help me out for a hard run 1-6? Ive rarely done co-op and I know I can't do a hard run alone. Also up for some achievements.
What's your xbox live name? If you can play now we should be able to get the Boned achievement pretty soon hopefully(almost full party).

Saerk

I decided to play as soma, and I got in a group that beat hard drac (my first time). I was rewarded with a Valmanway. Nice drop for the first go.

Finally managed to get my Charlotte to decent levels. I'm only missing the Dracula spells and that seems like its going to take a while.

Wizpig

A little OT.

While waiting for the DLC I started SotN again yesterday and i'm at the inverted castle now.
Sometimes you just forget how much fucking awesome a game was.
My favorite Castlevania game is Dawn of Sorrow, but SotN is SotN.
I need to buy that WiiWare Castlevania game one of these days.

Castlevania HD is currently "on hold" because i want the new level before going for the 10.000 kills... and that charmed achievement.

Vamphuntr

Yeah got bored too of replaying the same levels. This game must be one of the most glitchy arcade game I played. Twice the game hard crashed, once the boss chest dropped as the stage started (with the boss still alive) and twice I started the game dead (skeleton). I'm missing two stupid rare drops (death's scythe and the winged boots) and I'm tired of trying again and again and again to get the drops. I'm starting to have a stash of Dracula's Tunic and Impervious mails. The RNG in this seems overly capricious. Hopefully new DLC come soon.

Wizpig

anotheriori said:
Jon/Shanoa mastery grinding is mindnumbing geez Charlotte is a breeze in comparision.
Shanoa? but she only has 3 weapons and 4 spells... well... maybe you mean "mastering" all of her spells by using those a lot?

Vamphuntr

anotheriori said:
Jon/Shanoa mastery grinding is mindnumbing geez Charlotte is a breeze in comparision.

Are you using the survival mode trick? Use the back dash cancel to use all of your skills quickly, get killed and get your mp refilled.

Also getting Dracula spell with Charlotte also takes forever.

Beth Cyra

Wizpig said:
A little OT.

While waiting for the DLC I started SotN again yesterday and i'm at the inverted castle now.

Castlevania HD is currently "on hold" because i want the new level before going for the 10.000 kills... and that charmed achievement.

Speaking of SOTN, how many Castlevania fans have picked up EOTN? It's not as great as the original but if you are anything like me it will make going back to that old Alucard sprite so much harder when you know they actually gave him a awesome update on the damn Iphone.

Cynar

Iron E Man said:
Since I missed Mad Men and got nothing else to do sure.
GT: Ra1d3nmgs

Sent a message to you. I can play for a bit until my gf calls, I've already got all the achievements but willing to help out.

edit: argh nm maybe in an hour or so XD

I just unlocked Julius Mode for Dawn of Sorrow. I can see how Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades can be used for Castlevania HD.

And I also played some Castlevania Chronicles on PS1 classics. I think they can tweak the Simon Belmont sprite to also make it work for CHD.

Just not that pink haired Simon Belmont re-design, ugh.

Wizpig said:
Shanoa? but she only has 3 weapons and 4 spells... well... maybe you mean "mastering" all of her spells by using those a lot?
yea mastering

Vamphuntr said:
Are you using the survival mode trick? Use the back dash cancel to use all of your skills quickly, get killed and get your mp refilled.

Also getting Dracula spell with Charlotte also takes forever.
yea doing that now was just doing single player before.

Vamphuntr

biggkidd32 said:
I just finished mastering all of Charlotte spells. What is her best setup? And what is the survival trick?

With Shanoa and Jonathan you level up skills by using them. Go to survival mode on hard with a partner. Spam your sub weapons/skills with back dash cancel, when your out of mp get killed by the boss. Rinse and repeat.

Most people play Charlotte with the Skull ring + Astral ring combo and spam healing when her hp runs out. As for the spells, I've seen the one from the frozen shade, fire demon, Skeleton gunnman used quite often. Frozen shade is broken since you can stack the rotating ice lances. Spam this under Dracula last form and you will win quickly.

OnPoint

Vamphuntr said:
What are you doing? Playing or redoing the same level over and over again to get rare crap?

We just got to ch 6 on hard; my first time. I think we're just playing, hoping for rare shit. Join up if you'd like

Vamphuntr

OnPoint said:
We just got to ch 6 on hard; my first time. I think we're just playing, hoping for rare shit. Join up if you'd like

I can try to help. I'll fire up the 360. Are you on the GAF castleHD tag?

Vamphuntr said:
With Shanoa and Jonathan you level up skills by using them. Go to survival mode on hard with a partner. Spam your sub weapons/skills with back dash cancel, when your out of mp get killed by the boss. Rinse and repeat.

Most people play Charlotte with the Skull ring + Astral ring combo and spam healing when her hp runs out. As for the spells, I've seen the one from the frozen shade, fire demon, Skeleton gunnman used quite often. Frozen shade is broken since you can stack the rotating ice lances. Spam this under Dracula last form and you will win quickly.

Thanks, I'll try those out.

OnPoint

Vamphuntr said:
We had great runs Iron E Man and Onpoint. We were a good team :D

Yeah, we crushed pretty good there. Was a pleasure playing with y'all. We'll have to get that going again, maybe I can get the pnumba or whatever Shanoa's thing is eventually and be able to dish damage out with you guys instead of playing support the whole time lol Who drops that again?

Vamphuntr

OnPoint said:
Yeah, we crushed pretty good there. Was a pleasure playing with y'all. We'll have to get that going again, maybe I can get the pnumba or whatever Shanoa's thing is eventually and be able to dish damage out with you guys instead of playing support the whole time lol Who drops that again?

I think the bosses of 4-5-6 might drop the pneuma skill for Shanoa

Vamphuntr

The RNG for the drops system is so weird... I've been playing for a while and never got the damn boots and now I got them in our runs.

Wizpig

TruePrime said:
Speaking of SOTN, how many Castlevania fans have picked up EOTN? It's not as great as the original but if you are anything like me it will make going back to that old Alucard sprite so much harder when you know they actually gave him a awesome update on the damn Iphone.
Um, not really interested... i mean... i bought Castle HD to show my support, but supporting a puzzle game with old sprites on the iPod Touch... maybe that's too much, I don't know.
It's a Puzzle Fighter clone, right?

Btw I finished SotN, but i still don't know how you can see the 4 endings.
One is the bad ending, the other one is the ending, then there's one if you got more than 190% of the map i think.
But the fourth one?

Also, i started a Richter run.
No way i'm going to complete the whole 200.6 map with Alucard though, that would take weeks.

edit.
d113644975d28ad57ca80748600d1854.png

:lol

abq

Wizpig said:
Um, not really interested... i mean... i bought Castle HD to show my support, but supporting a puzzle game with old sprites on the iPod Touch... maybe that's too much, I don't know.
It's a Puzzle Fighter clone, right?

Btw I finished SotN, but i still don't know how you can see the 4 endings.
One is the bad ending, the other one is the ending, then there's one if you got more than 190% of the map i think.
But the fourth one?

Also, i started a Richter run.
No way i'm going to complete the whole 200.6 map with Alucard though, that would take weeks.

edit.
d113644975d28ad57ca80748600d1854.png

:lol
I think you get different endings if you kill Richter with and without the glasses. Getting 200.6% isn't that hard. There aren't that many hidden rooms.

Cynar

Wizpig said:
Yeah, basically this new level was known before the game even came out.
Then we got pics and videos of gameplay.

As for Maria

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22798253&postcount=1002

and, as for her sprite... er... Rondo of Blood, i guess!

a150ea0ad30357a11083121df1beafff.png

Looks like they used the Maria sprite from Portrait of Ruin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_WM0_-ZoA

and here is a video with her in Harmony of Despair someone posted on gamefaqs

http://www.zshare.net/video/79052852871eb3ee/

Coldsnap

Wizpig said:
A little OT.

Got any tips for the inverted castle? I remember doing this on the playstation but once I got there on xbla my character was dying so easy.

abq

Coldsnap said:
Got any tips for the inverted castle? I remember doing this on the playstation but once I got there on xbla my character was dying so easy.
Learn how to use Soul Steal. If you want to break the game completely,
go to the top right part of the inverted castle (not the very top, but near the entrance to the castle) and get the Alucard Shield. Use it together with the Shield Rod.

Wizpig

Cynar said:
Looks like they used the Maria sprite from Portrait of Ruin.
Ah, makes sens... wait, i forgot she was in PoR...
Coldsnap said:
As abq said i played through 2/4 of the game with the Shield Rod + a shield. (the Alucard Shield aswell)

For the other 2/4 of the game, at the very beginning i used a simple sword - forgot the name - it's so quick that you can spam it a little even while moving, and that reeeally helped, because usually in Metroidvanias at least the beginning of the game is hard... SotN isn't.

At the very end of the game i switched to the Dark Sword or something.

Also, as abq said, soul steal.
Rock the dpad if you suck at inputting it like me. (i blame the 360 dpad ;p)

Anyway, the game really is the easiest Castlevania ever, i think.
I will never be able to beat Circle of the Moon, but this...

Coldsnap

Wizpig said:
Ah, makes sens... wait, i forgot she was in PoR...As abq said i played through 2/4 of the game with the Shield Rod + a shield. (the Alucard Shield aswell)

Wizpig said:
Ah, makes sens... wait, i forgot she was in PoR...As abq said i played through 2/4 of the game with the Shield Rod + a shield. (the Alucard Shield aswell)

Okay, so i just loaded my game; I actually have the Shield Rod + Alucard shield. How do I use this correctly? I'm guessing I just keep the soul steal spell constantly activated. I'm still only hitting for like 49 dmg on some enemies though.

abq

Coldsnap said:
Okay, so i just loaded my game; I actually have the Shield Rod + Alucard shield. How do I use this correctly? I'm guessing I just keep the soul steal spell constantly activated. I'm still only hitting for like 49 dmg on some enemies though.
Do you have the Alucard or Alucart shield? If it's the former, press the attack and shield button simultaneously (should trigger an animation where shields appear around you). Then simply walk into enemies while holding the shield up.

Soul steal isn't passive.

So do any good FAQs exist for this game? I have so far been unsuccessful in finding good character-based FAQs; specifically, I'm looking for details around how to properly play Shanoa.

Aru

Tried the trial version yesterday. I didn't like it.
I don't have Xbox Live Gold and I don't plan going gold any time soon.

I'll keep my money for the real new Castlevania: Lords of Shadow :D

Vamphuntr

When is the DLC coming? It will be a boost of fresh air for the online. Once people will start playing as Maria and Julius and play the pyramid level it will be so much better for the experience. 95% of the games I join consist of farming stage 5 and 6.

abq

Vamphuntr said:
When is the DLC coming? It will be a boost of fresh air for the online. Once people will start playing as Maria and Julius and play the pyramid level it will be so much better for the experience. 95% of the games I join consist of farming stage 5 and 6.
To be honest, I don't think one level is enough to keep this game going.

Wizpig

Vamphuntr said:
Eh, I think after the Summer of Arcade ends.
But it's still taking too long.
And it should be free anyway.
Do you have the Alucard or Alucart shield? If it's the former, press the attack and shield button simultaneously (should trigger an animation where shields appear around you). Then simply walk into enemies while holding the shield up.
I didn't know about this, i just used the shield rod with a shield, it's powerful anyway.

Top Bottom