• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Scarecrow said:
After you beat normal mode, hard mode unlocks. That means some way cooler stuff in the shops, but even better, the treasure chests give upgraded weapons/armor as well.

The final level is a pretty linear map with a good assortment of chests. I keep getting repeat items that I sold for thousands of gold.
So I'm stuck with these default weapons until I beat normal mode?

:(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wizpig said:
The healing "ball" she throws at you.
Before it makes a rainbow.

No, no, totally wrong. The ball and the rainbow are two different spells. To get the Heal spell you have to make her do the rainbow spell and basically leap into it with your absorb shield up. You'll hear the "shing" noise to indicate you got the absorb. The energy ball is a completely different spell that is not the same as the Heal. If you absorb the energy ball spell you will NOT be able to absorb the Heal spell from that same witch. You'll have to kill her and find another one.

Rad-

I'm finally starting to get bored of this. Too many people have caught up on the best builds and the low map count is finally getting to me. The game is also quite easy when you know all the patterns and tricks.

That said, the game was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Now to wait for Monday Night Combat.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rad- said:
I'm finally starting to get bored of this. Too many people have caught up on the best builds and the low map count is finally getting to me. The game is also quite easy when you know all the patterns and tricks.

That said, the game was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Now to wait for Monday Night Combat.

I'm still super hooked, got about 20 hours logged now between the 3 characters I've been working on. My Charlotte is quite beastly.

Coldsnap

MattKeil said:
No, no, totally wrong. The ball and the rainbow are two different spells. To get the Heal spell you have to make her do the rainbow spell and basically leap into it with your absorb shield up. You'll hear the "shing" noise to indicate you got the absorb. The energy ball is a completely different spell that is not the same as the Heal. If you absorb the energy ball spell you will NOT be able to absorb the Heal spell from that same witch. You'll have to kill her and find another one.

dang i must suck, I've jumped into her rainbo like 15 times and just heard a "shing" noise but never got the actual spell.

abq

Coldsnap said:
dang i must suck, I've jumped into her rainbo like 15 times and just heard a "shing" noise but never got the actual spell.
You'll get it eventually. Then you have to repeat it 8 times.

Wizpig

MattKeil said:
Oh really? :\
That means i failed to absorb the heal spell too... even if i tried when i was in the rainbow.
Rad- said:
Playing a game one week before jumping to the "newer" one is what i want to avoid, actually.

Of course i'm not planning to play this for years, but still.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Rad- said:

You can solo Drac on Hard easily?

Saerk

Got a wrecking ball with Johnathan. That thing is nice for bosses that don't move much. Is the grenade worthless or am I just missing something about it? It costs a lot of mana and is hard to hit with.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
My setup with Jonathan is wrecking ball, cross, axe, holy water. I wasn't a fan of the grenade. Required too much timing.

Is there a list of his Martial Arts somewhere? I have the flying knee one, the sonic dash and the roll.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wizpig said:
I tried but i died before i could reach him :p

Will try again soon.
I can solo him on hard with Charlotte, but it is not easy. If you get charmed, you're dead, and a triangle in the corner also equals instant death most of the time too.

Scarecrow

would anyone be willing to donate 10-15 minutes of their time to partner up for the Dual Crush and Charm achievements?

Maaseru

Banned
Is anyone up for helping me pass 4 5 and 6 on hard? Look me up on the gaf tag Marcel SAn

Also a quick question I hear talk of the shop having these awesome expensive 100k 200k items, but do they unlock after finishing hard mode or something?

Giolon

So I've currently only played Level 1 as Shanoa. Where/when do I get some updates for my glyphs and/or new glyphs? There's nothing in the store for her.

Maaseru

Banned
^ play the game online. Most of the best loot comes from Bosses and chest or hard. Although the glyphs can be obtained in normal too.

Wizpig

Scarecrow said:
would anyone be willing to donate 10-15 minutes of their time to partner up for the Dual Crush and Charm achievements?
I'll help.
Maaseru said:
Is anyone up for helping me pass 4 5 and 6 on hard? Look me up on the gaf tag Marcel SAn

Also a quick question I hear talk of the shop having these awesome expensive 100k 200k items, but do they unlock after finishing hard mode or something?
Maybe we can play after i'm finished helping scarecrow.
I'll message you on the 360 if you are still online.

Coxswain

The balance to this game is so weird, and its compounded by how different the power curve is for each character. In the end, I guess it shakes out as Soma > Alucard > Charlotte > Shanoa > Jonathan, but if you start everybody from scratch and play them for the same amount of time, there's pretty significant stretches of time where Shanoa is the most powerful, Charlotte is queen for a while, and Alucard trumps Soma pretty handily until you get some majorly lucky drops from Hard mode Dracula. Poor Jonathan, though :(

Giolon said:
So I've currently only played Level 1 as Shanoa. Where/when do I get some updates for my glyphs and/or new glyphs? There's nothing in the store for her.
Shanoa's spell glyphs all come from Aliorumnas (the glowing, floating witches), except for Nitesco, which comes from the Nova Skeletons (green ones). You start running into Aliorumnas on level 2, but the ones there only have her Ice glyph. The ones in later stages (4, 5, and 6, I think) have her lightning glyph, and the Nova Skeletons are in stages 5 and 6.
Her weapon glyphs (Lapiste, a stone fist attack, and Pneuma, a wind attack) are only found in boss chests; I'm not sure if it's only specific bosses or not (but I think Pneuma might only be found from stages 4-6). You don't need to play on Hard to get any of her glyphs.

Shanoa kind of gets the shaft in terms of the number of weapons and spells she gets, but on the positive side, pretty much all of them are useful. Pneuma and Fulgur (lightning glyph) are her best ones, though.

Cynar

Coxswain said:
The balance to this game is so weird, and its compounded by how different the power curve is for each character. In the end, I guess it shakes out as Soma > Alucard > Charlotte > Shanoa > Jonathan, but if you start everybody from scratch and play them for the same amount of time, there's pretty significant stretches of time where Shanoa is the most powerful, Charlotte is queen for a while, and Alucard trumps Soma pretty handily until you get some majorly lucky drops from Hard mode Dracula. Poor Jonathan, though :(

Shanoa's spell glyphs all come from Aliorumnas (the glowing, floating witches), except for Nitesco, which comes from the Nova Skeletons (green ones). You start running into Aliorumnas on level 2, but the ones there only have her Ice glyph. The ones in later stages (4, 5, and 6, I think) have her lightning glyph, and the Nova Skeletons are in stages 5 and 6.
Her weapon glyphs (Lapiste, a stone fist attack, and Pneuma, a wind attack) are only found in boss chests; I'm not sure if it's only specific bosses or not (but I think Pneuma might only be found from stages 4-6). You don't need to play on Hard to get any of her glyphs.

Shanoa kind of gets the shaft in terms of the number of weapons and spells she gets, but on the positive side, pretty much all of them are useful. Pneuma and Fulgur (lightning glyph) are her best ones, though.

Jonathan is really good. His subweapons just need to be levelled up and you need to know how to use his martial arts effectively. :p

Any high res artwork of Harmony of Despair yet? Specifically Jonathan

Coxswain

Cynar said:
Jonathan is really good. His subweapons just need to be levelled up and you need to know how to use his martial arts effectively. :p
He's good, he's just not dual Yasustuna/Valmanway good, or Infinite MP + Deathscythe good, or dodge-o-matic Pneuma + Fulgur good. At the end of the game, it really comes down to being able to score 5-10+ hits a second, and Jonathan can't really do that for more than a few seconds of subweapon spam. And getting him properly leveled in the first place is an agonizing grind compared to every other character, considering that subweapon mastery hits a brick wall at level 5 or so, and he's got a ton of the damn things.

Nearly completed my super saiyan/skittles Charlotte. On the other hand my 'main' character Shanoa seems difficult to level up spells..

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Coxswain said:
He's good, he's just not dual Yasustuna/Valmanway good, or Infinite MP + Deathscythe good, or dodge-o-matic Pneuma + Fulgur good. At the end of the game, it really comes down to being able to score 5-10+ hits a second, and Jonathan can't really do that for more than a few seconds of subweapon spam. And getting him properly leveled in the first place is an agonizing grind compared to every other character, considering that subweapon mastery hits a brick wall at level 5 or so, and he's got a ton of the damn things.
Charlotte with Astral Ring is not that good. If you have to stop to heal to full every other minute, it really slows down your run and lowers your score. She's better off without it, unless you're farming a certain boss like the chap 4 guy.

Maaseru

Banned
So I decided to up my luck for a normal lvl 6 run. I'm thinking that with a higher luck rare items would appear and charlottes spells would absorb faster. Not really I just went from luck 10 to 19 and spent the longest time yet getting a spell from dracula. 15 fraking minutes!!!!! :lol Oh well.

Coxswain

Eggo said:
Charlotte with Astral Ring is not that good. If you have to stop to heal to full every other minute, it really slows down your run and lowers your score. She's better off without it, unless you're farming a certain boss like the chap 4 guy.
Healing doesn't really slow you down during a level unless you're being careless and waiting until you've lost a bunch of health before you restore it. If you need to heal up to full during a boss fight, that's another story, but not many bosses survive a full 10-cast, point-blank salvo of Deathscythe, and most of them have periods where you can't really attack and can restore a bit of health anyway - or you can just carry a Super Potion.

Either way, though, you're kinda right - Charlotte is not really as deadly of a solo/score/speed run character as Alucard and Soma. I'd give her the nod in a team game though, just for the utility it gives the team to have somebody constantly pumping out heals (and heals at 65+ HP instead of the net 25 she can gain for herself). And either way, even if she's a good step down from Alucard and Soma, she's just as much of a step up from Shanoa and Jonathan.

Maaseru

Banned
PS you know what I really fckn hate!!! Chapter saboteurs!!! DAmn them. These guys that are either sabotaging things on purpose or are just plain stupid!!!! Damn just played a lvl 2 on hard where a guy was pushing the boxes away from the maiden into the wall so they cannot be moved again!! also locking the gates!! I also ran into guys that on lvl 3 hard just threw the hammer switch right at the beginning !

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Coxswain said:
Healing doesn't really slow you down during a level unless you're being careless and waiting until you've lost a bunch of health before you restore it. If you need to heal up to full during a boss fight, that's another story, but not many bosses survive a full 10-cast, point-blank salvo of Deathscythe, and most of them have periods where you can't really attack and can restore a bit of health anyway - or you can just carry a Super Potion.

Either way, though, you're kinda right - Charlotte is not really as deadly of a solo/score/speed run character as Alucard and Soma. I'd give her the nod in a team game though, just for the utility it gives the team to have somebody constantly pumping out heals (and heals at 65+ HP instead of the net 25 she can gain for herself). And either way, even if she's a good step down from Alucard and Soma, she's just as much of a step up from Shanoa and Jonathan.
I'm talking solo play on hard difficulty (e.g., farming Drac). Astral Ring is a detriment there, because every time you cast, it depletes your health, and you have to pitstop to replenish every other minute. That downtime slows you down considerably, whereas if you can dodge worth a damn, you'll clear the level much faster without gimping yourself. Besides, you can't get off more than 2-3 death scythes on Drac's third form before things start going poorly, and he can one shot you pretty easily, so it's better to not get greedy and attempt 5 in a row.

Maaseru

Banned
Wizpig said:
I have to apologize Maaseru, we couldn't play.

I'll help tomorrow if we meet online.
No problem man I've been having fun soloing with charlotte to max all the spells on normal.

OnPoint

I just got to chapter 1 on hard the other night and would like to mess around if anyone feels like it.

GT - Digitalensemble

You can find me in the GAFlvania friend list -- invite me if you're down, I'll be on for an hour or so

Scarecrow

Don't think I'll go for the last achievement, the 10k kills. I've been playing the game regularly for hours and am not even half way there.

It was fun partying up with randoms tonight. Looked like I was helping some poor fools clean up a normal run, then we started making our way through hard. It must have seemed cruel to turn on a Charlotte who had been charmed during Drac's fight. Oh, well :D

Coxswain

Eggo said:
I'm talking solo play on hard difficulty (e.g., farming Drac). Astral Ring is a detriment there, because every time you cast, it depletes your health, and you have to pitstop to replenish every other minute. That downtime slows you down considerably, whereas if you can dodge worth a damn, you'll clear the level much faster without gimping yourself. Besides, you can't get off more than 2-3 death scythes on Drac's third form before things start going poorly, and he can one shot you pretty easily, so it's better to not get greedy and attempt 5 in a row.
You don't need to stop to heal ever when you solo stage 6 on hard with a properly played Astral Ring Charlotte. When you're platforming, a mid-air heal won't add any recovery time to your jump, there's ~350 HP worth of food that's accessible to Charlotte (ie: Not counting the 200 HP Truffle), and the only enemies that take enough of a beating that you're in any danger of running low on HP are Final Guards and Dracula, who both have attack patterns that give you time to heal that an MP-casting Charlotte would have to waste just standing around anyway.

Seriously, the Astral Ring is just a straight-up upgrade for Charlotte. It's not even a contest.

Coxswain said:
You don't need to stop to heal ever when you solo stage 6 on hard with a properly played Astral Ring Charlotte. When you're platforming, a mid-air heal won't add any recovery time to your jump, there's ~350 HP worth of food that's accessible to Charlotte (ie: Not counting the 200 HP Truffle), and the only enemies that take enough of a beating that you're in any danger of running low on HP are Final Guards and Dracula, who both have attack patterns that give you time to heal that an MP-casting Charlotte would have to waste just standing around anyway.

Seriously, the Astral Ring is just a straight-up upgrade for Charlotte. It's not even a contest.
yes also... backdash crouch cancel

Wizpig

I'm going to "start" playing as Alucard, any tips?
I don't even know how many scrolls he can get or how you level up his spells.

Scarecrow

Alucard isn't really that dependent on spells. His swords and weapons are more his focus. You level them up by getting repeat scrolls, though.

Maaseru

Banned
So me and this dude tried to beat Dracula on hard yesterday, but he kept one shoting us. ANy tips? ANy help to finally beat? Do more items appear in the shot once hard mode is beaten?

Saerk

Does the Mind stat increase regen rate? I'm looking for someway to help out Johnathan's mana pool. He really needs to have his casting costs decreased.

owlbeak

Saerk said:
Does the Mind stat increase regen rate? I'm looking for someway to help out Johnathan's mana pool. He really needs to have his casting costs decreased.
99% percent sure it does. I think MND effects max MP and INT effects MP regen speed.

Shanks

I just bought this.

Is the online terrible for anyone else? Quick game is completely unusable and I have been kicked from every custom game I have joined so far (about a dozen). Do I have bad luck? Seems everyone except the high level people have moved on or something already. My GT is Jack of Plaid if any new people want to team up tonight sometime. (or whenever honestly).

Scarecrow

Can't keep myself from this game. I got some neat boots from Hard Drac that let me run way faster than anyone else. That should be something you can get from the shop, it's so useful.

abq

I want to gear up Alucard/Soma, but I can't solo Dracula or Death on hard because I have shitty gear. It's a vicious circle :(

Wizpig

abq said:
I want to gear up Alucard/Soma, but I can't solo Dracula or Death on hard because I have shitty gear. It's a vicious circle :(
Do you mean that you get better gear if you solo a boss?
Or is it just because you can speed things up?

Tonight i had some crazy problems.

First my 360 crashed, then after a bunch of shitty games with shitty xbox live stereotypical quitters i created a game and when it was loading the game said "time out" or something and kicked everyone.

What the hell...

There's way too many junk items in this game, considering the stuff in the shop is good enough to help you reach Chapters 5-6 Hard. Then you eventually get new and better gear.

Such a waste IMO. They didn't bother balancing the items one bit.

edit: Winged Boots rocks.

theMrCravens said:
There's way too many junk items in this game, considering the stuff in the shop is good enough to help you reach Chapters 5-6 Hard. Then you eventually get new and better gear.

Such a waste IMO. They didn't bother balancing the items one bit.

edit: Winged Boots rocks.
Wouldn't surprise me if they had the 7th level in mind while balancing. That level has been ready for a while after all, and should have shipped with the game. I just hope that's not all they will release for this game.

Top Bottom