• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

So I started building a Charlotte yesterday; she's infinitely more satisfying than Shanoa and can actually compete at the higher levels (although it seems nothing can compete with the double-Yatsusana). I almost have my spells powered up to where Heal can do 40+, at which point I'll be tempted to switch over to the Astral/Skull ring combo.

I could totally go for some DLC for this game, as long as they make it wicked hard to where even the current "nukes" have trouble with it. Heck, I could go for a "Super Hard Mode" DLC just for the current levels!

Daigoro

cool. thanks for the tips Pepsiman and Dru.

so i havent gotten the chance to play as much as i wouldve liked (busy week, didnt get a chance to play at all over the weekend!), but i put in a few hours solo so far.

i tried all of the characters for at least one run. i kind of settled on Jon just cause i liked whipping and he seemed to be of a decent starting strength.

i had to grind a bit just to beat the first boss! :lol finally got him out of the way and moved on to the second stage. i have not been able to beat the Puppetmaster though. i was able to figure out how to get him past his first form by doing the obvoius thing and killing the dummies before i got Iron Maiden'd. but as soon as he starts to move i get owned by one of the other Maidens that i was unable to cover up with a box.

of course watching a solo replay for tips didnt help because everyone just uses uber gear and kills the boss in 5 seconds. i did discover some hidden walls to smash and some secrets though, so not a total loss.

i guess im going to be forced to try and get into a party that wont mind going through the first few levels with me so i can gear up. hopefully that wont be too painful.

Daigoro said:
cool. thanks for the tips Pepsiman and Dru.

so i havent gotten the chance to play as much as i wouldve liked (busy week, didnt get a chance to play at all over the weekend!), but i put in a few hours solo so far.

i tried all of the characters for at least one run. i kind of settled on Jon just cause i liked whipping and he seemed to be of a decent starting strength.

i had to grind a bit just to beat the first boss! :lol finally got him out of the way and moved on to the second stage. i have not been able to beat the Puppetmaster though. i was able to figure out how to get him past his first form by doing the obvoius thing and killing the dummies before i got Iron Maiden'd. but as soon as he starts to move i get owned by one of the other Maidens that i was unable to cover up with a box.

of course watching a solo replay for tips didnt help because everyone just uses uber gear and kills the boss in 5 seconds. i did discover some hidden walls to smash and some secrets though, so not a total loss.

i guess im going to be forced to try and get into a party that wont mind going through the first few levels with me so i can gear up. hopefully that wont be too painful.

If it's any consolation, the Puppet Master is one of the hardest bosses to beat, period.

A few random tips:

• Obviously, cover up all the iron maidens with boxes. There should only be one that you can't (a couple rooms below the boss room).
  • Do not destroy the bone pillar in the room with the giant scale. You will need to stand on this to travel back and forth between the two rooms that Puppet Master travels between.
  • If you're playing as Alucard, you can use mist form to dodge the puppet attack.
  • If you have elemental spells, he's weak to fire, so burn the shit out of him!

Daigoro

oh cool. thanks for the tips. that will help.

i did finally figure out the bone pillar thing. took me a minute. i was wondering how the hell to get up to those jumps. forgot you could jump on them. also discovered that you can kick jump off of teammates heads. thats a cool feature.

so i tried online today for the first time. took me a few tried to get into a party. i think the room leader took pity on me and let me stay because the team was way more powerful than i was and was pretty overpowered for Normal mode. it was'nt a complete cakewalk, but it was very easy.

i did get my ass kicked on the clocktower anyways though. damn spikes...

so that kind of sucked because it was too easy. we beat levels 3,4, and 5 i think and then tried hard, but people quit soon after. i died in like 2 minutes.

at least i got some gear and ill be able to solo and actually make a Normal room and not be completely useless.

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review of this game is up:

http://pepsimanvsjoe.blogspot.com/2010/08/xbla-look-castlevania-harmony-of.html

I like it but uh...can't say I can recommend it really.

There's also a number of things I didn't mention because I would have been up all night talking about them. It's probably for the best that I waited around a week after I last played the game to write the review.

just read your review. good stuff, i liked it. i feel pretty much the same about the whole thing.

also, you just reminded me about PSO's challenge mode!

i havent thought about that in years. that shit was SO fun. they never did add that to PSU did they? is it in any of the portables does anyone know? probably an abandoned mode huh? damn that was fun...

Slermy

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh hey I'm still two achievements shy of 200/200. Anyone willing to get together to do the Boned and Dual Special attack achievements?

Gamertag is : PepsimanVsJoe

Was a time ever setup for that? Did people already get it?

Daigoro

good question. i still need them as well. id still be up for some normal runs too.

ive been taking my time with the game, played a little bit over the last week. im able to solo the first two levels with Alucard. that third level with the pantings and the final guards is a bitch though.

looks like its basically going to be play solo, or go online and just run through every level in 3 minbtues with uber teams (if they will even let me in the room).

both kind of crappy options, but ill deal with it until i grind enough... to grind some more online.

DarkCloud

I'm still willing to help even though I've already 200ed the game. I will be available anytime between 4PM-12PM today if you guys want to set up a run (Day off woo).

Wizpig

Sectus said:
That's awesome ;)

ps. Who is the "manager" of GAFlevania HD? please check the friend requests!

Slermy

I totally missed the GAFlevania HD Gamertag. I sent a friend request as well. I'll be on this evening. Hopefully we can get some games going. I also don't mind playing the earlier levels as I still need my 10,000 kill achievement as well.

Sectus

Japanese info about DLC: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3153/pluginrefpagedlcsrcdlc0.jpg

I have no idea what the orginal source is, I saw this posted on gamefaqs forums. It has to be an old Japanese magazine since the release dates are old and wrong.

But well, it gives an idea what the price will be... which is honestly ridiculous.

Based on the data files in the game, it's very likely there will be 6 characters total for the DLC (3 characters are already confirmed: Julius, Yoko and Maria). And that there will be 3 DLC stages in total. That means 200*6 for the characters, we don't know the price for stages yet but they're probably more expensive and I'm gonna guess around 300. In total, that would be 2100 = 26 USD.

If that's gonna end up the total cost for the DLC, that's absolutely ridiculous. Buying DLC piece by piece won't work well either, that way you're just minimizing the chances you'll be able to play any of that DLC via matchmaking (since DLC won't be released in a patch, everybody can't see the new characters, which means there will be some kind of limits in matchmaking).

In before nerdrage even at 200msp each character that's pretty fair considering it takes 10+ hours to max out. Most casual/non fans probably have already passed on CV:HD due to the original pricing. Most people on the gamefaqs boards have been clamoring for DLC now that it's coming out people will use it as a reason to complain why it isn't free (basically).

OnPoint

Sectus said:
Japanese info about DLC: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3153/pluginrefpagedlcsrcdlc0.jpg

I have no idea what the orginal source is, I saw this posted on gamefaqs forums. It has to be an old Japanese magazine since the release dates are old and wrong.

But well, it gives an idea what the price will be... which is honestly ridiculous.

Based on the data files in the game, it's very likely there will be 6 characters total for the DLC (3 characters are already confirmed: Julius, Yoko and Maria). And that there will be 3 DLC stages in total. That means 200*6 for the characters, we don't know the price for stages yet but they're probably more expensive and I'm gonna guess around 300. In total, that would be 2100 = 26 USD.

If that's gonna end up the total cost for the DLC, that's absolutely ridiculous. Buying DLC piece by piece won't work well either, that way you're just minimizing the chances you'll be able to play any of that DLC via matchmaking (since DLC won't be released in a patch, everybody can't see the new characters, which means there will be some kind of limits in matchmaking).

The release dates have already passed for the characters, unless I'm overlooking something?

Wizpig

014170afbbce5b5c2f129eef29e7133f.png

^^^^
So, ahem... is it safe to assume the DLC is coming out?
How many of you guys / of GAFlevania HD will buy it?

Glix

So I finally tried the demo of this last night....

So cool!

My buddy, who used to be a big gamer, but now is really busy and stuff was over, and I showed him, and he promised once he and the wife and kid move into their new place, we are both gonna download it, and play it.

I'm pumped!

Wizpig

Even with Halo Reach, I'll find some time for Castlevania HD if/when the DLC comes out.
I'd like to 200/200 it, but i don't think i'll ever be able to get that charmed one...

Slermy

Wizpig said:
Even with Halo Reach, I'll find some time for Castlevania HD if/when the DLC comes out.
I'd like to 200/200 it, but i don't think i'll ever be able to get that charmed one...

I bet the charmed one would be pretty easy if you did it intentionally with a friend. Though I don't have it either.

Sectus

One part of the DLC is finally out. The pyramid stage... for 400 msp.

A few other things to note:
-No new achievements
-No patch
-If anyone in the multiplayer lobby don't have the DLC, you can't choose it

As much as I love the game (it's definitely in my top 5 of this year), I think I'll skip on the DLC. It's way way overpriced (by the time all the DLC is released, it'll cost 30 USD total. if you include the price of the game, that's 45 USD). And they seem to have no intention to balance the game. I don't know the difficulty of the new stage, but I'm betting it's similar to the current stages which means it's gonna be stupidly easy if you've already played the game a lot.

Could someone transcribe the staff credits or, better yet, upload a video of them to YouTube? I couldn't find them so far, so I guess the staff roll can be accessed from the menu rather than being shown after the game's ending.

Wizpig

Slermy said:
Any idea of the DLC includes new items at least?
I would suppose so, but still, it's 1 freaking /3 of the game price.

And no new characters!
Those will probably be 200 MSP each!

JESUS CHRIST, Konami.

whoa its out? goodbye VC2 grinding (good riddance)

edit: Beat hard 7 with a japanese dude who was playing ssj Charlotte though I basically solo'd it cuz he stood outside. My strat was using Shanoa
with ancient mail instead of berserker mail and magic seems to do jack on Cleopatra?

OnPoint

anotheriori said:
whoa its out? goodbye VC2 grinding (good riddance)

edit: Beat hard 7 with a japanese dude who was playing ssj Charlotte though I basically solo'd it cuz he stood outside. My strat was using Shanoa
with ancient mail instead of berserker mail and magic seems to do jack on Cleopatra?

The spell from the nuclear skeleton does servicable damage to her. She just has an assload of hitpoints.

Still wish more people were playing this online

OnPoint said:
The spell from the nuclear skeleton does servicable damage to her. She just has an assload of hitpoints.

Still wish more people were playing this online
CV in general or level7? @400mp not gonna happen, quite expensive.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I understand their desires to sell this stuff seperately... but, really, Konami? If you bundled much of this together (2 characters, 5 tracks, and a stage, for 560 points or something) it would probably go much better at pulling people TO the game, rather than just pulling money from the few who have + still play heavily.

At any rate, the tracks in this pack seem pretty solid. Going through the list and seeing what was what, they selected a bunch of tracks that are faves from OOE and POR.

Which track is Pitiful Scion, though? Searching for it on youtube, it only pulls up one of my fav SoTN themes, The Tragic Prince.. Is this another name for the song? If so... this music pack is so bought, lol.

At best, it's nice for such a thing to come back, where buying game DLC leads to an 800 point rebate a month later. Now release the characters so we can at least have the chance to consider some of this DLC "free" when all is said and done! :lol

OnPoint

anotheriori said:
CV in general or level7? @400mp not gonna happen, quite expensive.

I meant in general. The level was a huge letdown, honestly. I don't blame people for not buying it.

As for the music tracks, fuck that. The music in the game is phenomenal, and I'm curious as to what the new tracks are, but this is getting to be ri-god-damned-diculous. They should have just released the level, the two characters and the music for 400 points. At this point I don't think I'll even download the character when they drop.

Sectus

SAB CA said:
I understand their desires to sell this stuff seperately... but, really, Konami? If you bundled much of this together (2 characters, 5 tracks, and a stage, for 560 points or something) it would probably go much better at pulling people TO the game, rather than just pulling money from the few who have + still play heavily.

At any rate, the tracks in this pack seem pretty solid. Going through the list and seeing what was what, they selected a bunch of tracks that are faves from OOE and POR.

Which track is Pitiful Scion, though? Searching for it on youtube, it only pulls up one of my fav SoTN themes, The Tragic Prince.. Is this another name for the song? If so... this music pack is so bought, lol.

At best, it's nice for such a thing to come back, where buying game DLC leads to an 800 point rebate a month later. Now release the characters so we can at least have the chance to consider some of this DLC "free" when all is said and done! :lol
It is Tragic Prince. Pitiful Scion is the name used in the PSP version of SOTN.

It's nice to see they're remixing some music from SOTN as well. Tragic Prince is definitely one of the best tracks from that game. I'm VERY glad they're remixing a lot varied songs from the games. Usually we only hear bloody tears and vampire killer remade, and that's getting a bit old. The whole series very good music so it's nice to hear a lot of variation in the remixes.

I'm trying to buy the music DLC but it isn't letting me! I get an evil generic error.

And contrary to what I said in another post, I did actually buy the stage DLC too. 2 friends I play with a lot also bought it, so I'd feel bad if I didn't buy it too so I could play with them again. I'll just pretend it's a direct donation to IGA so he can keep making 2D CV games. The new stage is actually pretty good, but it feels wrong to play it like this. It would have been awesome to have had it back when I played the game for the first time, but playing it now gives it very little replayability.

Top Bottom