• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Voror

Okay, I'm lost again. Chasing the person again. Got to the top with a broken cathedral window that had a Pain Box in it. No idea where to go next.

It's pure bullshit. God what a terrible part and wait of what comes later. They were on drugs.

Really? By that point in the game, you should've known that mist form is overpowered.

The next room you just have to be super fast. Nothing special about it.

The only real bullshit section to me was the dagger throwing platforming section towards the end. Fuck that shit. Took me 15 minutes to figure out lol.

Shockingly, Redbox had this so I grabbed it. Got to the area right after the second rat part and I think I'm done. the game does some stuff really well so far (some of the environments, combat, noble efforts from the VO cast), but it's also blatantly obvious that this is game is cobbled together and just feels all over the place, from the tonal shifts to the textures to the flow from section to section. Given that most everyone thinks the ending is pretty bad, I'm fine with not finishing it. I'll youtube the cool boss fights with a drink in hand and lament what might have been.

4/10 is probably harsh, but people saying this is an 8.5/10 game are really generous and probably very kind people.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If you rate the game by gameplay alone and boss fights 8.5 makes sense. Story and some level design that was boring didnt affected the fun of the game that much for me. It is sad the story was poor when the voice acting was amazing in the game and the previous games had decent-good writing.

If you rate the game by gameplay alone and boss fights 8.5 makes sense. Story and some level design that was boring didnt affected the fun of the game that much for me. It is sad the story was poor when the voice acting was amazing in the game and the previous games had decent-good writing.

I just want to know how MoF could do so much with so little story-wise, and yet LoS2 has
Victor Belmont

Supposedly Enric has always been the lead writer, so...what the hell happened?

Vazra

I just want to know how MoF could do so much with so little story-wise, and yet LoS2 has
Victor Belmont

He pulled a David Cage on the writting.

Cryst

I can put up with the odd pacing of the game, but every stealth encounter really just saps my drive to press on. Only 2 or 3 hours in, and hope I never see another Golgoth again, :(

george_us

If only the next Castlevania game returned to Ayami Kojima artstyle and actually look as good as the art in game with the level design of the castle area of LoS2 and expand on it and LoS2 combat with some improvements as adding more weapons.

Writing go Dark Souls but finding scrolls for extra detail on the plot and story cutscenes on boss fights mostly with a small amount out of battles.

Im asking for something not so hard to do tbh.
Honestly they should forget Lords of Shadow 2 even exists if they return Castlevania to Japanese hands. I just beat
The Toy Maker
and am slowly coming the conclusion that those poor reviews were spot on. Combat is a decent step up from LoS1 and the boss battles are pretty cool but literally everything else is a huge disappointment. The level design is awful, the story makes little sense, and the environment art is a massive step down from LoS1's incredibly diverse locales. In LoS1 I couldn't wait to see what wonders the next level awaited me while LoS2 already feels like a slog. I doubt I'll finish it.

Vazra

I can put up with the odd pacing of the game, but every stealth encounter really just saps my drive to press on. Only 2 or 3 hours in, and hope I never see another Golgoth again, :(
I got bad news for you.
Honestly they should forget Lords of Shadow 2 even exists if they return Castlevania to Japanese hands. I just beat
The Toy Maker
and am slowly coming the conclusion that those poor reviews were spot on. Combat is a decent step up from LoS1 and the boss battles are pretty cool but literally everything else is a huge disappointment. The level design is awful, the story makes little sense, and the environment art is a massive step down from LoS1's incredibly diverse locales. In LoS1 I couldn't wait to see what wonders the next level awaited me while LoS2 already feels like a slog. I doubt I'll finish it.

Even LoS2 remains better CV than the PS2 games. Japanese team only can do well 2D CV. Unless they outsource it to another company I wouldnt hold my breath on a good internal CV. Even more now considering Konami latest approaches with anything non MGS.

Schlomo

I'm stuck.

I'm in Overlook Tower. I just beat
Agreus
and now I'm supposed to find the
2nd mirror shard
. The arrow on the map tells me to ride the toy maker's elevator (with the shooting mini game), but after that there is just a balcony with some enemies and I can't get further up nor cross the gap to the other side.

Can anybody help?

I'm stuck.

I'm in Overlook Tower. I just beat
Agreus
and now I'm supposed to find the
2nd mirror shard
. The arrow on the map tells me to ride the toy maker's elevator (with the shooting mini game), but after that there is just a balcony with some enemies and I can't get further up nor cross the gap to the other side.

Can anybody help?

there's a pillar covered in yellow buttons

Mask

Been playing since I got my Belmont's Tomb CE earlier yesterday. The CE's box looks pretty different to the promo image in the OP post.

Decided to call it quits for a while. Stuck in a room with two elevators, and a butt-load of demons with shotguns and grenade launchers. Couldn't figure out what to do with the elevators.

Been playing since I got my Belmont's Tomb CE earlier yesterday. The CE's box looks pretty different to the promo image in the OP post.

Decided to call it quits for a while. Stuck in a room with two elevators, and a butt-load of demons with shotguns and grenade launchers. Couldn't figure out what to do with the elevators.

Mist form through the bars on the first floor, then hit the switch. You're then timed. You have to run to the first elevator, take it a floor up, then run around to the grate in the floor and climb up to the elevator through the next room

Sanctuary

Really? By that point in the game, you should've known that mist form is overpowered.

The only real bullshit section to me was the dagger throwing platforming section towards the end. Fuck that shit. Took me 15 minutes to figure out lol.

It only took me about two minutes to start swearing about how it was the most annoying part of the game, until I noticed how idiodic the
tracking fireball mechanic
was. It felt really awkward and not quite right, kind of like how the chandeliers (or objects that worked the same) functioned. The physics on them were horribly off.

Anyway, just finished the game. Had 100% of the shards completed all of the mirror challenges, but somehow only 92% of the lore and 92% of the artwork. Also missed out on doing something specific to a specific
bird, because I froze it instead.

Also, I get the complaints about the way the game looks in the modern sections, but I don't see how anyone could complain much about Downtown or the Arts District. Both of those have some really nice architecture/objects. What sucks the most is the way the garage portions look, as well as the Sciences District.

Now to beat it on Prince mode, which will ironically be much easier for 3/4 of the game than what Lord was.

4/10 is probably harsh, but people saying this is an 8.5/10 game are really generous and probably very kind people.

I couldn't give it more than a 7/10. So much of it's a mess, and the combat is only serviceable. It has too many flaws to be considered a game with "good" combat, when you compare it to the majority of well known games that excel at combat. Once people stop playing it on the normal difficulty, and move on up to the next two, they'll know what I'm talking about. Too many times the game does shit that is completely unavoidable. And just like the first game, there are too many weapon skills or combos that are either highly situational to the point of not even mattering at all, or some simply don't matter at all. Plus the startup on many of them is too slow.

ZeroX03

Banned
Once people stop playing it on the normal difficulty, and move on up to the next two, they'll know what I'm talking about. Too many times the game does shit that is completely unavoidable.

Like what exactly? Played my first playthrough on Hard, now I'm NG+ on Very Hard. The game gives you the tools to beat everything.

Sanctuary

Like what exactly? Played my first playthrough on Hard, now I'm NG+ on Very Hard. The game gives you the tools to beat everything.

You mean like when you get knocked down and as you're recovering you get hit with an unblockable attack that tracks you, or has a wide enough radius to hit you as you're trying to dodge? Shit like that happens quite often, especially when you've been knocked into a corner (thanks camera). Sometimes even
Mist Form
activates too slowly to let you escape from the followup hit. There are many unblockable attacks, or attacks with stupid hitboxes that hit at wider arcs (or even behind) than their graphic indicates. Some of which make it impossible to use melee against and avoid behind hit 100% of the time. That doesn't make the game impossible to beat or anything, but it does show how unpolished many aspects of the combat are.

And I don't know what you mean about "the game gives you tools to beat everything". You can beat the game with just whip attacks alone. That doesn't change the fact that many of the specials (melee especially) have startup that make them useless outside of max range, or half screen that you get knocked out of before they can activate. While the majority (all but the smallest) of the enmies can gleefully plow right through your attacks and continue attacking you. The game also has many enemies where blocking in general is pointless due to the frequency of unblockable use or attacks that don't even give you a warning that they are unblockable, but are anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
You mean like when you get knocked down and as you're recovering you get hit with an unblockable attack that tracks you, or has a wide enough radius to hit you as you're trying to dodge? Shit like that happens quite often, especially when you've been knocked into a corner (thanks camera). Sometimes even
Mist Form
activates too slowly to let you escape from the followup hit. There are many unblockable attacks, or attacks with stupid hitboxes that hit at wider arcs (or even behind) than their graphic indicates. Some of which make it impossible to use melee against and avoid behind hit 100% of the time. That doesn't make the game impossible to beat or anything, but it does show how unpolished many aspects of the combat are.

And I don't know what you mean about "the game gives you tools to beat everything". You can beat the game with just whip attacks alone. That doesn't change the fact that many of the specials (melee especially) have startup that make them useless outside of max range, or half screen that you get knocked out of before they can activate. While the majority (all but the smallest) of the enmies can gleefully plow right through your attacks and continue attacking you.

Sounds to me that you just aren't very good at the game. Yes, if you get knocked down you can get caught in a flurry of attacks (pretty sure I know the enemies you mean), but if you don't get knocked down in the first place that's not really a problem. Every attack has a way you can avoid it*, which can be done on reaction, I don't know exactly what more you want. Some attacks can only be dodged if you go straight backwards, others straight left/right, some require diagonal. Some attacks need to be somersaulted, others mist form'd etc. I'm not having the problems you are because I'm not getting hit. If you focus hard enough it's fine.

And as far as beating the game with just whip attacks alone, that's required for some of the challenges.

Played to completion all DMC and Platinum titles. I like the combat in those, and in this. Combat in this is fine. Camera's better than MGR.

*actually IIRC the
combined fire witch creature
has a few moves that are impossible to dodge if you're directly in front of it, but you can just dispel it with a Void projectile.

Sanctuary

Sounds to me that you just aren't very good at the game.

I love it when the standard reply is used. I finished the first game on Paladin without any upgrades on my second playthrough. I never died to any trash enemies, or any of the bosses in LoS2 (continue screens were from stealth sections) either.

Compared to virtually all of the other favorite action games, there's something decidedly unpolished with the combat with the LoS games though. And hell, in the first game you could just throw pretty much any trash enemy and would be invincible while doing so. In this game, you don't really have that option until they are almost dead anyway. But hey, I guess it not being Assassin's Creed or Batman level is saying something for it. I never said I didn't have fun playing it, but there were just too many instances where I just had to shake my head at how bad the game was in that regard. And if you think I'm full of shit, look around the web.

ZeroX03

Banned
I love it when the standard reply is used. I finished the first game on Paladin without any upgrades on my second playthrough. I never died to any trash enemies, or any of the bosses in LoS2 (continue screens were from stealth sections) either.

Compared to virtually all of the other favorite action games, there's something decidedly unpolished with the combat with the LoS games though. And hell, in the first game you could just throw pretty much any trash enemy and would be invincible while doing so. In this game, you don't really have that option until they are almost dead anyway. But hey, I guess it not being Assassin's Creed or Batman level is saying something for it. I never said I didn't have fun playing it, but there were just too many instances where I just had to shake my head at how bad the game was in that regard. And if you think I'm full of shit, look around the web.

Look around the web? At the reviews talking about how hard Agreus is? General consensus on the web seems to be that this game's combat is better than the former.

You list an enemy and an attack and I'll tell you how to avoid it. I'm currently half way through my Prince of Darkness playthrough, if I focus and my timing is on point I will not die. Your complaints show that yes, the game is punishing when you get knocked down. As well it should be. But my counter argument is that if you're good enough, you shouldn't get knocked down. The game is fair when it comes to enemy attacks. If you get put into a shitty knockdown situation it's because you got yourself there, just like what can happen in [insert Platinum/DMC/your favorite action game here].

Well, dodo-bird spammed my way to 100% secrets. Dunno what I'll do about lore... hmm

I'm nearly 100% on the secrets. Same with lore. Since there's no indicator for even locating that on map, I won't worry about it.

Sounds to me that you just aren't very good at the game. Yes, if you get knocked down you can get caught in a flurry of attacks (pretty sure I know the enemies you mean), but if you don't get knocked down in the first place that's not really a problem. Every attack has a way you can avoid it*, which can be done on reaction, I don't know exactly what more you want. Some attacks can only be dodged if you go straight backwards, others straight left/right, some require diagonal. Some attacks need to be somersaulted, others mist form'd etc. I'm not having the problems you are because I'm not getting hit. If you focus hard enough it's fine.

And as far as beating the game with just whip attacks alone, that's required for some of the challenges.

Played to completion all DMC and Platinum titles. I like the combat in those, and in this. Combat in this is fine. Camera's better than MGR.

*actually IIRC the
combined fire witch creature
has a few moves that are impossible to dodge if you're directly in front of it, but you can just dispel it with a Void projectile.

Agree with everything here. The game gives you all the tools you need. The fact that you can dodge-cancel out of everything now means there's pretty much no excuse for nailing encounters perfectly. I'm playing on the penultimate difficulty and I haven't had trouble with the combat in this game at all. The combat system is, in fact, very well designed. It's not as deep as say, Bayonetta, but it's definitely an improvement from LoS1.

I wonder if the framerate could have something to do with player troubles? I initially played LoS1 on the PS3, and I couldn't stand the game with its low framerate. It wasn't until I played the PC version that I could truly appreciate the game. Playing LoS2 on PC with a regular framerate of 120 frames/second at a resolution of 2560*1440 is, I imagine, a pretty different experience from what consoles provide for this game. I remember having difficulties with encounters on the console version of LoS1 where I had no gameplay issues on the PC version whatsoever. I mean... imagine playing Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja difficulty at 30 frames/second. It would be a fucking nightmare.

Ambitious

Still not dispatched, for fuck's sake.

By the way, something that bothered me in the demo was the light effect after hitting an enemy with the Void Sword or the Chaos Claws. I was hit all the time because I wasn't able to see the enemies charging because of all the light. Has it been toned down in the game?

protonion

Finished.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LOS is better as an adventure. They were also bold with the puzzles which are absent here. I enjoyed it though. The team has a lot of skill.

Ahasverus

I don't know yours but my mist form lasts about 3 seconds.
Victor Belmont

I blame lots of deleted sections in development and Klownami messing with the ending.

Miguel81

So, I've completed the main game of LOS1. It's a 9/10 for me, what a great sprawling adventure. The epilogue would be shockingly awesome if I wasn't expecting it. Now on to the 2 extra chapters.

The user reviews for LOS2 on Metacritic are a great contrast to the main reviews..lol.

This game completely reiterates my guesses following the first game, that Gabriel is basically
Anakin Skywalker

There's even a lot of dialogue in this game that is very similar to that story.

Vazra

This game completely reiterates my guesses following the first game, that Gabriel is basically
Anakin Skywalker

There's even a lot of dialogue in this game that is very similar to that story.

But its better acted than Hayden

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still not dispatched, for fuck's sake.

By the way, something that bothered me in the demo was the light effect after hitting an enemy with the Void Sword or the Chaos Claws. I was hit all the time because I wasn't able to see the enemies charging because of all the light. Has it been toned down in the game?

Actually, it's weird. I had the same issue in the opening tutorial but once it skips to the main game it was toned down.

Levyne

Banned
Working on challenges at the moment. Some of these are really dumb, but at the same time, the limitations that they put on you make you learn how to easily dispatch some enemy types.

For instance did you know if you
freeze
blood soldiers and then
destroy them, you don't have to worry about killing the blood pool afterwards?

Things like that. I just wish the challenges didn't seem so...separate from the main game. Like it wouldn't been nice if for completing one for the first time, you get a little exp bonus. Sure, you get whatever exp from enemies, but I'd rather just roam the castle and kill stuff without limitations.

Edit: It would've also been nice if they healed you, and maybe gave you half of each magic or something.

Kysen

Finally got to the Aggreus 'stealth' section, took me 6 tries. It was until I realized that the one patch of leaves at the halfway point couldn't be skipped and needed multiple jumps. Very stupid, hard to believe a designer sat down and thought that it would be a good idea.

The leaf rustling is hit and miss when alerting him. Sometimes you can take a few steps before the detection jumps to the next level. Other times you go straight to red instantly and get killed.

Also the game makes it seem like the moment he goes red you die instantly but what actually happens is he runs to the spot where it turned red first. As long as you are out of sight when he gets there, the alert resets.

Hard to believe anyone was stuck for an hour+ there.

Neff

The controllable camera really makes the otherwise manageable combat way more work than it needs to be. The areas are typically more enclosed in this sequel, meaning the camera ends up banging against a wall and pointing somewhere you don't want it to by itself. The static cameras in the first game, for all the complaints they endured, were actually very well placed and covered almost all of the real estate required. It was also a bold, classy choice for a 2010 game.

I'm enjoying it for the most part, simply because I loved Lords of Shadow so much, but the fact that much of the scenery is modernised and boxy compared to the ornate, gothic original is giving me weird DMC2 flashbacks.

kazebyaka

Banned
Finally got to the Aggreus 'stealth' section, took me 6 tries. It was until I realized that the one patch of leaves at the halfway point couldn't be skipped and needed multiple jumps. Very stupid, hard to believe a designer sat down and thought that it would be a good idea.

The leaf rustling is hit and miss when alerting him. Sometimes you can take a few steps before the detection jumps to the next level. Other times you go straight to red instantly and get killed.

Also the game makes it seem like the moment he goes red you die instantly but what actually happens is he runs to the spot where it turned red first. As long as you are out of sight when he gets there, the alert resets.

Hard to believe anyone was stuck for an hour+ there.

you are supposed to use Mist in that section, makes it a breeze

After watching the GB quick look and Unprofessional Fridays I have a question:

Does this game ever vary up the environments? Everything is so drab and gray, whereas in the first game the environments were probably its greatest strength.

Kysen

Does new game+ allow you to keep all the powers? There's no way i'm going to backtrack through the whole game looking for areas that I missed the first time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Call me bat insane but so far I think the game is fantastic, it almost pains me that this will be the last.
The stealth parts aren't needed But the rest is great from what I've played, wished it was on PS4 though, the game is trying to be beautiful at times and sometimes it succeeds but the limitations of the hardware hurts it a bit.
One thing for sure is that the sound track is amazing.

I don't know yours but my mist form lasts about 3 seconds.

I literally timed it right now. It's a little less than 8 seconds.

One thing that might trip you out is if you see the mist icon depleted you instinctively let go of the button, but mist form actually goes on for a second or two longer when that happens.

Morue

Just stopped before the toy maker. The aggreus section took me 4 or 5 tries but less than 10 minutes... How someone could spend 4 hours on this is beyond me. I basically just rang one bell, rushed as much as I could and used mist form when aggreus came too close.

For now I'd give the game a good 7. Modern day sequences are booooooring but the others in the castle are really nice.

On a side note, am I the only one who can't stand Trevor's accent?

Dead

well not really...yet
After playing it, the Rat stuff isn't TOO horrible.

Still completely and utterly unnecessary. Who the hell decided that after LoS, what was missing was being able to turn into a Rat...I mean what the fuck

Ahasverus

After playing it, the Rat stuff isn't TOO horrible.

Still completely and utterly unnecessary. Who the hell decided that after LoS, what was missing was being able to turn into a Rat...I mean what the fuck

It's funny because according to those developers ranting these days those were the actual quotes they used.

Top Bottom