• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Really enjoying it so far myself, about two hours in. But I always hated the Igavania games, as I felt all the retarded story lines and anime bullshit were way too far removed from what I liked about Castlevania as a kid.

Amalthea

Banned
My comparison to a Gameloft title was unfair. I've played it a bit more, and while I didn't enjoy the opening setup and the combat initially felt one note, but that was due to not having learned any moves yet. I've beaten the first boss (cool fight) and leveled a bit and I'm liking it more and more. It could use a lot more depth in regards to magic etc, but I'm liking it. The combat is incredibly smooth and the platforming is equally nice. I don't feel like I'm playing a Castlevania title, though. At least not yet.
Gameloft made an enjoyable Castlevania clone named Soul of Darkness once. You can get it as a DSi Ware from the eshop.

TentPole

My comparison to a Gameloft title was unfair. I've played it a bit more, and while I didn't enjoy the opening setup and the combat initially felt one note, but that was due to not having learned any moves yet. I've beaten the first boss (cool fight) and leveled a bit and I'm liking it more and more. It could use a lot more depth in regards to magic etc, but I'm liking it. The combat is incredibly smooth and the platforming is equally nice. I don't feel like I'm playing a Castlevania title, though. At least not yet.

Then you are going to love the rest of the game. The first boss (as well as the mini-boss from the demo) are pretty lackluster compared to every other boss fight I have encountered.

ryushe

So yeah, this game (so far) is pretty awesome. I'm really, really enjoying it more than I thought I would, and honestly, I have no clue what that IGN was on about. Game's dope.

Can I play this before the home console installment (story-wise, I mean)? I had planned the other way around but, as usual, I managed to get the 'sequel' before even having started the first one.

Ambitious

Can I play this before the home console installment (story-wise, I mean)? I had planned the other way around but, as usual, I managed to get the 'sequel' before even having started the first one.

I haven't played MoF yet, but considering the premise I think you should play the console game first.

Might be better to start out with the home console version; the story there has a lot more depth to it. Here it really feels like a sidestory...MOF is like a preview for LOS2.

So considering this is a sequel to the first LoS, where would LoS2 take place? After MoF or what? :p

Based on the LOS2 trailers I think some parts of LOS2 will be right after LOS1 and before MOF, and a major part will be
in the future, like, present day.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Might be better to start out with the home console version; the story there has a lot more depth to it. Here it really feels like a sidestory...MOF is like a preview for LOS2.

Based on the LOS2 trailers I think some parts of LOS2 will be right after LOS1 and before MOF, and a major part will be
in the future, like, present day.

LoS2 is present day. It takes place all in a single night and Gabriel will have flashback sequences.

Maedhros

I just hope LoS2 is more non-linear game. I can stomach the combat, the "platforming" and even the music if they make the game non-linear and the style more akin to this one or the castle area in LoS (I mean, feeling more inside the castle).

I played it for a few hours last night and I've gotta say...I'm having a ball. It's absolutely NOT the Igavanias that I'm accustomed to, but I feel like it takes a few elements (backtracking for goodies, namely) and blends it in with the combat that I'm used to from old days...the kind where a few hits will get you killed.

It's like I'll have to finish this out before Luigi's Mansion comes out, then backtrack to FE & EO IV. Damn I love it when new content just keeps coming at me.

I've played through the demo a couple of times, and I think now at this point I'm ready to get it, especially based on the impressions in this thread. My biggest hang-up gameplay wise was the CP-only control, but I'm think I'm mostly used to it now.

The 3D effect in this game is glorious, the best I've seen. The graphics are fantastic. Movement/jumping/air dashing is a bit wonky, but it's decent enough.

But it's a game that highlights my issue with Nintendo controls, I'm too used to the 360 so I press A when I think it's B, fail the hell out of QTEs because I hit X when it prompts for Y. It's weird that's even a thing, 2 systems with the same diamond face buttons with the same letters yet they're backwards.

The 3D effect in this game is glorious, the best I've seen. The graphics are fantastic. Movement/jumping/air dashing is a bit wonky, but it's decent enough.

But it's a game that highlights my issue with Nintendo controls, I'm too used to the 360 so I press A when I think it's B, fail the hell out of QTEs because I hit X when it prompts for Y. It's weird that's even a thing, 2 systems with the same diamond face buttons with the same letters yet they're backwards.

And one came first ;)

nintendo

chadi

I agree with the 3D. It looks awesome. I play it mostly with 3D turned on which is rare since I usually just turn it off when playing other games.

Synless

I have been playing the game for a couple of hours now and I have to say, I like it. I had thought it was just the demo that sucked so I bought it anyway.

chadi

I have been playing the game for a couple of hours now and I have to say, I like it. I had thought it was just the demo that sucked so I bought it anyway.

Was turned off by the demo too. IGN's "review" didn't help either since I'm a fan of Igavanias myself. But good thing I bought it anyway. I'm 5 hours in and so far so good.

Really enjoying it so far myself, about two hours in. But I always hated the Igavania games, as I felt all the retarded story lines and anime bullshit were way too far removed from what I liked about Castlevania as a kid.

*bro-fist*

I wish they would return to SCIV at some time. I want that 8 way-whip and catchy soundtrack back.

Not feeling the story yet, but I'm addicted to the combat and platforming. It's just fun getting around and killing shit. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a mobile Castlevania this much.

GlassBox

Banned
Just started off, first thing I noticed is how real good the 3D effect is. IMO for me it is one of the best depth of 3D I've seen so far on the handheld.

Haven't gotten that far though, but so far I haven't noticed any severe slowdowns or crippling framerates.

But then again, I am notorious for Not noticing crippling framerates, having grown up with remembrance of the 5-10fps slideshows on the N64 (such as Castlevania 64 and Turok 2).

There is some frame rate drops from what I've seen, but it might be because I played the entire game with 3D at full blast. But yes, the 3D is soo good. Mirror of Fate is one of my three games that I really enjoyed playing in 3D and never once turned it off.

KevinCow

Banned

I just go by the side of the screen the button appears on. If it's at the top of the screen, it's the top button. On the left side of the screen, it's the left button.

It's something that God of War started doing with 3 that I'm really glad people decided to copy.

bh7812

Banned
Despite being very underwhelmed by the demo and disappointed with it, I caved and bought the game today. I want to like it, so we will see if my opinion changes any with the full game. I liked lords of shadow a lot and got it since its supposed to set up LOS 2 at the end. So, it was like well do I want to skip this and go into 2 clueless due to not seeing the connecting part or cave and give it a chance so I'll be ready for the sequel? I chose cave in. Hopefully the full final game is improved from the demo even if just a little. I can't imagine completely hating it so we will see how I feel when I'm done with it.

Finished the first act in one evening of playing. I'm guessing its not a very long game. Did a bit of backtracking to get odds and ends. Should have done more as everything carries over to the next act but I'm not sure i can get back to some of the areas. The graphics are great and the combat is enjoyable but it really makes me want to play a metroidvania after I'm done.

Synless

How do you mark things on the map? I thought it said you could, but I skipped past it, now I can't seem to figure it out.

How do you mark things on the map? I thought it said you could, but I skipped past it, now I can't seem to figure it out.

You don't need to mark anything on the maps, the power ups you find and can't get at that moment because you don't have a àrticular skill are marked with "?".

Touch the map icon, when you are in map mode, there is an icon on the top left side of the touch screen, drag that icon where you want to write a note.

The QTEs appear on the edge of the screen that corresponds to the button. i.e: An A button QTE would appear on the right side of the screen and so on.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the demo was okay, and I forgot to cancel my $30 order from NewEgg so I have this coming tomorrow. My biggest gripe with the demo was that the combat felt like there was no feedback and it had no real weight. Is that fixed in the full game?

I thought it was pretty cool when
Simon and Alucard fight Gabriel together. Someone at Mercurysteam should work in a 2 player mode just for that boss fight like in that one Street Fighter Alpha game...and make Gabriel next to impossible to kill hehe

Synless

You don't need to mark anything on the maps, the power ups you find and can't get at that moment because you don't have a àrticular skill are marked with "?".

Touch the map icon, when you are in map mode, there is an icon on the top left side of the touch screen, drag that icon where you want to write a note.
That's what I needed, thanks!

Amalthea

Banned
I got the game yesterday and I like it a lot. I was a bit bummed by LoS because of balancing issues with the battle system and all those unnecessary levels.

I think if MoF really does something better than LoS, then it's cutting the usless filler content like fairy forest rune searching, that horse stage, jungle ruins in Transsylvania, Patrick Stewart who can't shut up, etc., and just goes down to the jump and running, enemy slashing action mainly set in the castle you'd expect from a CV.

The original LoS really could feel like a Castlevania game if you were in a castle or Transylvanian village section of the game but instead you were fighting giant sphinxes and orks in Angkor Wat for hours or you were chasing fairies and Pan in candyland for no end before you got to the really good parts, wich turned many off.

Some of the jump and run sequences in MoF are also really well done compared to IGA's games wich is kind of surprising because otherwise MoF feels a bit more like an IGAvania than you would expect.

Just for fun I've been playing through my Castlevania games.

I finally beat that Stage 6 boss in Dracula X Chronicles. I just determined myself to beat that damn boss. After a few hours, I finally got good enough to have enough energy to beat him. I got ticked off because the first time I got his energy down I died from his floating orbs. I technically beat him, but the orbs killed me as it was falling down. So old school and pretty cheap. Stopped for a few hours and tried again. Finally beat him!

I also played through some Symphony of the Night. I forgot how difficult this game was. It also didn't age very well. I personally don't have nostalgia goggles for SotN. I know it's a great game but it was never my personal favorite.

Then I tried Order of Ecclesia. This is the only GBA/DS MetroVania I have yet to finish. Playing it on my 3DSXL is pretty awesome. The sprite work is still pretty good although it's showing its age. It's such a contrast to Mirror of Fate. The irony is that it's also similar since Ecclesia kind of breaks up that MetroVania formula with smaller areas. I think it's the best out of the DS-Vania games. And I also like the protagonist in Ecclesia.

Finally, ended my session with Mirror of Fate. After playing through old school-Vania with Dracula X Chronicles/Rondo of Blood, then through the classic with SotN, then playing through Ecclesia afterward, I still like Mirror of Fate very much. It's certainly different. I think Dracula X Chronicles is the best representation of the series because it's traditional at its core, brutally difficult, unforgiving, and kind of slow-paced. THAT'S PURE UNADULTERATED CASTLEVANIA. I love the MetroVania games but I think it's not the best representation of the series. Ecclesia started to feel dated and I realize the MetroVania series needed a little shake-up. I think Mirror of Fate does a pretty good job in introducing a more modern approach to the series. I won't say it's better than the past, but it's a good start to a future with a lot of potential.

As for the music in Mirror of Fate, I know it doesn't feel like the series, but hearing the tunes from the past games, I also think those classic tunes wouldn't fit right with MoF. It's too upbeat. Mirror of Fate is darker and eerie. The music isn't great, but I think it fits.

Overall, my ranking for these games would be like this:

Order of Ecclesia > Mirror of Fate > Dracula X Chronicles > Symphony of the Night

Like I said, I don't have nostalgia feelings with SotN, so sorry if my taste is a bit odd compared to other fans of the series. I only like Mirror of Fate better than Dracula X Chronicles because it just feels more fun to play. Dracula X Chronicles is punishing. It's not fun sometimes.

Riposte

So are checkpoints as common as the demo makes it seem? I mean they were extremely common and even within boss battles. Is there no limit on lives or w/e?

I noticed the light and dark magic system is in the game. That's good. It was one of my favorite things about LoS. Does it work the same way? Is it as necessary? I've noticed in the demo there are healing things everywhere and they seem to regenerate.

Maedhros

Just for fun I've been playing through my Castlevania games.

I finally beat that Stage 6 boss in Dracula X Chronicles. I just determined myself to beat that damn boss. After a few hours, I finally got good enough to have enough energy to beat him. I got ticked off because the first time I got his energy down I died from his floating orbs. I technically beat him, but the orbs killed me as it was falling down. So old school and pretty cheap. Stopped for a few hours and tried again. Finally beat him!

I also played through some Symphony of the Night. I forgot how difficult this game was. It also didn't age very well. I personally don't have nostalgia goggles for SotN. I know it's a great game but it was never my personal favorite.

Then I tried Order of Ecclesia. This is the only GBA/DS MetroVania I have yet to finish. Playing it on my 3DSXL is pretty awesome. The sprite work is still pretty good although it's showing its age. It's such a contrast to Mirror of Fate. The irony is that it's also similar since Ecclesia kind of breaks up that MetroVania formula with smaller areas. I think it's the best out of the DS-Vania games. And I also like the protagonist in Ecclesia.

Finally, ended my session with Mirror of Fate. After playing through old school-Vania with Dracula X Chronicles/Rondo of Blood, then through the classic with SotN, then playing through Ecclesia afterward, I still like Mirror of Fate very much. It's certainly different. I think Dracula X Chronicles is the best representation of the series because it's traditional at its core, brutally difficult, unforgiving, and kind of slow-paced. THAT'S PURE UNADULTERATED CASTLEVANIA. I love the MetroVania games but I think it's not the best representation of the series. Ecclesia started to feel dated and I realize the MetroVania series needed a little shake-up. I think Mirror of Fate does a pretty good job in introducing a more modern approach to the series. I won't say it's better than the past, but it's a good start to a future with a lot of potential.

As for the music in Mirror of Fate, I know it doesn't feel like the series, but hearing the tunes from the past games, I also think those classic tunes wouldn't fit right with MoF. It's too upbeat. Mirror of Fate is darker and eerie. The music isn't great, but I think it fits.

Overall, my ranking for these games would be like this:

Order of Ecclesia > Mirror of Fate > Dracula X Chronicles > Symphony of the Night

Like I said, I don't have nostalgia feelings with SotN, so sorry if my taste is a bit odd compared to other fans of the series. I only like Mirror of Fate better than Dracula X Chronicles because it just feels more fun to play. Dracula X Chronicles is punishing. It's not fun sometimes.
Great post.

I hope the future don't do anything like MoF though, for 2D Castlevania. For 3D, the game has some problems, but they can be corrected if they included good platforming and better pace and solve some other problems...

So are checkpoints as common as the demo makes it seem? I mean they were extremely common and even within boss battles. Is there no limit on lives or w/e?

I noticed the light and dark magic system is in the game. That's good. It was one of my favorite things about LoS. Does it work the same way? Is it as necessary? I've noticed in the demo there are healing things everywhere and they seem to regenerate.

Light and Darkness is exclusive to Trevor. I think it works the same way (don't really got so far myself). Yes, the game is full of checkpoints.

TheGrue

Yeah, the more I play it, the more I love it. Probably not the level of the DS games, but it's pretty fun in its own right...just different. It also made me realize I never beat Lords of Shadow, so started playing that on the PS3 again last night. Love me some Castlevania.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
the 3D effect is really nice in the game; you truly feel like sense of scale within the game.

I finally gave the demo a shot and I can't stay in the zone for the 3D. Once there's action on the screen or an enemy is causing the screen shake the whole effect becomes a mess for me.
Are you playing on an XL?

Top Bottom