• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

I finally gave the demo a shot and I can't stay in the zone for the 3D. Once there's action on the screen or an enemy is causing the screen shake the whole effect becomes a mess for me.
Are you playing on an XL?

I am, and you're right, the game is unplayable for me in 3D once I actually start playing it. Fortunately the game looks fine in 2D. I'm loving the game the more I play it. IGN was right to be so embarrassed by their own review that they felt the need to embarrass themselves further by getting someone else to back them up. It's definitely not the Castlevania we grew up on, but it's still great fun.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also wanted to chime in that the demo was solid. Best part is this wasn't on my radar at all, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that it's now out in stores. As was mentioned this looks great in 2D. Sometimes I forget just how powerful the 3DS is until something like this comes along and reminds me.

Definitely plan on picking it up!

I am, and you're right, the game is unplayable for me in 3D once I actually start playing it. Fortunately the game looks fine in 2D. I'm loving the game the more I play it. IGN was right to be so embarrassed by their own review that they felt the need to embarrass themselves further by getting someone else to back them up. It's definitely not the Castlevania we grew up on, but it's still great fun.

Yeah I laughed at them having to back themselves up. How pathetic.

It would've been nice if Konami/Mercury Steam did some secret unlockables where you can unlock the old NES and Gameboy Castlevania games, maybe like hidden relics throughout the game.

Does anyone know how to get the treasure in the Games Room in Act 3? To the right of the chess board is a locked door and I can't figure out how to open it. It's the last treasure I need to get 100%. Thanks!

Finished the first act in one evening of playing. I'm guessing its not a very long game. Did a bit of backtracking to get odds and ends. Should have done more as everything carries over to the next act but I'm not sure i can get back to some of the areas. The graphics are great and the combat is enjoyable but it really makes me want to play a metroidvania after I'm done.

The only way I've seen to go back to a different Act is to use the chapter select option.
Anyways, I do wonder if we will see Simon again in LoS2 or if it will be another Belmont.
Does anyone know how to get the treasure in the Games Room in Act 3? To the right of the chess board is a locked door and I can't figure out how to open it. It's the last treasure I need to get 100%. Thanks!
I think you get there with the teleporter but I can't remember that well.

Grisby

So has anyone here beaten the game? How does the game handle the switching between characters?

Like, I'm getting to the
Toymaker guy
as Simon and I'm wondering if when it switches characters do I ever get to play as Simon again? Want to try and 100% the game the first time through.

GlassBox

Banned
My playtime has been limited, but I got to the first boss, I think, and was immediately glad for the Boss check points, because I ended up dying several times. Mainly because I was a moron and totally didn't use the magic properly, but also because I misread the attacks of that flying staff thingy. I loved the QTE though. And I loved the "punch" and beat of the boss music.

Oh yeah, playing with headphones is awesome!

And wow, the 3D is so impressive, I was especially saying wow when I entered the
Theatre

KevinCow

Banned
I might give Lords of Shadow another shot since I liked this game. I just remember getting really annoyed at some ice giant boss, then I got stuck in some stupid spider cave, then I just gave up.

I might give Lords of Shadow another shot since I liked this game. I just remember getting really annoyed at some ice giant boss, then I got stuck in some stupid spider cave, then I just gave up.

You've got to get further. Matter of fact, I never got the DLC and after playing the 3DS version...I am starting this back up and damn does it look good.

So has anyone here beaten the game? How does the game handle the switching between characters?

The game makes you finish each character's story. And no, you don't get to play as any other character again after you finish each act. Though, if you missed out on upgrades and stuff, you can click on the Chapter select to replay previous levels with your current level and upgrades.

Grisby

That was still pretty early on. The colossi bosses were clunky to fight in a lot of ways. I enjoyed them but they could have been a lot better. Thankfully there aren't that many and most boss fights boil down to normal fighting tactics.
The game makes you finish each character's story. And no, you don't get to play as any other character again after you finish each act. Though, if you missed out on upgrades and stuff, you can click on the Chapter select to replay previous levels with your current level and upgrades.
Alright, thanks.

You've got to get further. Matter of fact, I never got the DLC and after playing the 3DS version...I am starting this back up and damn does it look good.

The DLC is horrible. I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you wanna find out some plot stuff that is shortly after the main story. Then again, you can just go to youtube.

The DLC is horrible. I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you wanna find out some plot stuff that is shortly after the main story. Then again, you can just go to youtube.

I heard it's not great but just been meaning to get it, figure might as well. Sad thing, I can't play it till I beat the game again. Don't have my save data.

I've gotten to the point in the game where Jeremy and Colin ripped it for trying to take SOTN enemies and update them. I love how they updated them. I think I've done 3 bosses so far and am on the 4th. Each one better than the prior. God bless mid-boss saves, because holy crap I make some stupid mistakes. The boss fights are fair, but the first time you fight them can be rough if you don't know their patterns.

GlassBox

Banned
This is the best 3d on 3ds. I'm so impressed. The first boss was awesome.
Seriously. I was expecting the first boss to suck. But I was blown away, and enjoying myself even as I got my ass kicked several times. THANK GOD FOR MIDBOSS SAVES (also worth noting that you don't start the checkpoint with full health, but half, or maybe a third full)

Again, headphones also help set the mood in this game. I think the music fits perfectly for the setting, and Michiru Yamane's compositions would be out of place.

Same here, I'm fine with the mid boss saves though I can see why some people prefer more challenge. They can probably create an option for that in LOS2, maybe just give extra reward for those that opt in for the harder route.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I need help! I'm on the (final?) boss of Act 2. How do I
deal with Belmont?
I have parried his attacks for so long that my health and magic are now full, yet I can't do anything yet. HELP!

And I have the 3D all the way up! The graphics are great, the most detailed textures I have seen on a 3DS game too. But such detail is reaching the point of really exalting the low resolution screen. Now I think that I understand why many 3DS devs just op for lower resolution textures.

BTW, HARD is the way.

GlassBox

Banned
I just can't help but continue to WTF at IGN's 4.7 score. I mean, shit, SimCity is getting higher scores even when they were reduced, and the issue with that game is it is currently unplayable. Yet you'd think reading IGN's review that this game would be at a similar level of broken gameplay and clear development issues.

This game is clearly well developed with a clear level of polish. For IGN (and Colin) to reward it with such a low score is pure garbage. He turned it into a personal soapbox of the game not being exactly what he wanted it to be in his narrow standards.

I just can't help but continue to WTF at IGN's 4.7 score. I mean, shit, SimCity is getting higher scores even when they were reduced, and the issue with that game is it is currently unplayable. Yet you'd think reading IGN's review that this game would be at a similar level of broken gameplay and clear development issues.

This game is clearly well developed with a clear level of polish. For IGN (and Colin) to reward it with such a low score is pure garbage. He turned it into a personal soapbox of the game not being exactly what he wanted it to be in his narrow standards.

I'm glad to see so many people calling it out. I mean, I can't completely comment on it fairly I guess until I've played through the game, but it seems like a lot of people disagree with him.

From what I can tell though, and I've seen plenty of gameplay at this point (I think I've seen like, the first half of the game by no real intention), a 7 seems like a totally fair score whereas a 4.5 seems like an agenda.

Colin is free to have whatever opinion he has of the game, but I think that score is going to shove some people away due to how popular IGN is and how seriously people seem to take everything they say-- people that, going by all of the backlash Colin's score is getting-- may have enjoyed the game very much.

GlassBox

Banned
I'm glad to see so many people calling it out. I mean, I can't completely comment on it fairly I guess until I've played through the game, but it seems like a lot of people disagree with him.

From what I can tell though, and I've seen plenty of gameplay at this point (I think I've seen like, the first half of the game by no real intention), a 7 seems like a totally fair score whereas a 4.5 seems like an agenda.
I haven't obviously played through it all, but unless the game becomes completely unplayable at the very end, I still cannot find anything to justify that score. A 4.7 to me would indicate broken gameplay, bad graphics (with lots of glitches and art errors, ie. see Aliens: Colonial Marines), awful music or sound quality, and of course, gameplay-crippling framerate. I've found absolutely nothing of the sort.

Basically it would have to be a game like Aliens:CM something so obviously poorly produced and seemingly unfinished like the developers didn't even care.

DaBoss

Reading the impressions here makes myself not being able to help myself into getting the game in the future despite the demo which I didn't enjoy much, but had fun with the combat. Too bad this month already has me tied down to 2 3DS games, so I may get it later when it is cheaper. I enjoyed reading many of your impressions so far.

KevinCow

Banned
I need help! I'm on the (final?) boss of Act 2. How do I
deal with Belmont?
I have parried his attacks for so long that my health and magic are now full, yet I can't do anything yet. HELP!

After you counter, there's a short window where you can grab him with R to do a QTE. Do that a few times to cancel his possession and move on to the next phase.

I'm playing with Trevor right now and probably will finish the game today, loving every second of it. The castle is really pretty and with the 3D effect is even more, I hate the 3D gimmick, I never play in ·D, but with this game, I can't play without it, that's how good is the 3D effect in this game.

They managed to find the perfect balance between platforming, exploration, puzzles and fighting, if they can keep it for LOS2, it will be one of the best games of the year for sure.

My only complain it's that the game seems to be short in content, you beat the game with 100% in 10 hours and you are done.

GlassBox

Banned
I'm playing with Trevor right now and probably will finish the game today, loving every second of it. The castle is really pretty and with the 3D effect is even more, I hate the 3D gimmick, I never play in 3D, but with this game, I can't play without it, that's how good is the 3D effect in this game..
At first when I heard MercurySteam say that they wouldn't do an HD port because of the work they put into the 3D effect on the 3DS and how it needed to be experienced, I was of course skeptical.

But wow, they really did it. I wish other developers could get this quality of 3D. I mean they totally schooled Nintendo at their own game/system

It's the best 3D I've seen on the system yet in my opinion.

The game is just damn gorgeous in most areas. Pretty sure Cox said they built the game using Nintendo's 3DS tools alone (it says Mercury Engine Mobile at the beginning though..) and that they could have gone farther with the graphics had they actually tried to dig deeper into the system themselves. There are times when the game runs seems to run at higher than 30fps (I could swear that during the bat ability cutscene the frame rate went above 30). I wish they'd gone the extra mile to really learn the system and gotten the frame rate that high. Oh well, it still looks impressive.

Most of the bosses are pretty awesome. I second the idea that was brought up earlier. The game really could have used a boss rush mode.

I haven't obviously played through it all, but unless the game becomes completely unplayable at the very end, I still cannot find anything to justify that score. A 4.7 to me would indicate broken gameplay, bad graphics (with lots of glitches and art errors, ie. see Aliens: Colonial Marines), awful music or sound quality, and of course, gameplay-crippling framerate. I've found absolutely nothing of the sort.

The footage in addition his negatives seemed borderline contradictory.

For instance, he talks about the colors of Dracula's castle being too drab and full of "browns" and whatnot. First of all, the Lords of Shadow series, like it or not, paints a more rooted, less Japanese take on the Transylvania countryside and the castle and guess what, as such, yes, more natural tones make complete sense and fit perfectly well with the atmosphere that they're trying to establish which seems to be a bit closer to the actual lore of Vlad the Impaler (the emphasis on religious brotherhoods, the Order of the Dragon, etc.) and the eastern European setting than what we normally see from the franchise. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

This is also why the music is the way it is. People may not like it as much as the catchier music of Yamane, but this direction and atmosphere doesn't call for it or need it. Something that drives me fucking bonkers is the comparison to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. Holy hell. Protip, Howard Shore did not invent that style of music, and that style of music has been linked many times to European influenced countrysides and so on-- yes, the same type that can be found in both Lord of the Rings and Castlevania and other works of both fiction and non-fiction that share similar settings and sounds.

That isn't to say that Shore's music for Lord of the Rings is generic; it most certainly is not, but neither is Oscar Araujo's music. People may not like that type of music for Castlevania, but Lords of Shadow is the first Castlevania to realize that setting in a large-scale 3D attempt that absolutely calls for that kind of music. It's fine to not be fond of it, but to say that it doesn't fit the game or that it's just "generic Lord of the Rings music" is being a bit more than simple-minded about how music is written. Not even to mention, all of these Lord of the Rings soundtrack scholars seem to be wholly unaware of the fact that Shore's music and Oscar's music use their own distinct instrumentation. I realize that some people, all they hear is "epic brass" but if you actually god forbid analyze the music you'd realize that Shore's music is just as much its own thing as Oscar's is its own thing. There are similarities, but you can find similarities between many, many different scores for different mediums.

Hell I'd love to see an even more realistic, mature, gritty take on Castlevania. Well, maybe it wouldn't be Castlevania in that it wouldn't have the over the top fantasy elements like monsters and fairies and shit but I'd like to see more films or games take a stab at the actual Vlad the Impaler lore. The Lords of Shadow style is a bit closer to it. Maybe that's why I like them and accept them as Castlevania games. I'd be fine if the series went for an even more rooted and oppressive tone.

Maedhros

I'll praise the character design and the scenaries... they look amazing, just like LoS was. I still don't like some of the monsters, though.

Soundtrack is crap. Also, they needed better enemy placement, shit looks abandoned sometimes. =/

Riposte

Excessive checkpointing has turned me off from the game. That's kind of a deal breaker, for 2D games especially.

I dont know what I want from Alucard, but after playing SoTN so many times, this is not what I was expecting as a speaking 3d rendered character. But then again I just got to act 2 and am only like 15 mins in. Just doesnt seem like it's how he should act. IDK, anyone else feel that way?

The game itself is decent though, So far into the 2nd act I'd prolly give it an 8ish score.

Phenomic

I dont know what I want from Alucard, but after playing SoTN so many times, this is not what I was expecting as a speaking 3d rendered character. But then again I just got to act 2 and am only like 15 mins in. Just doesnt seem like it's how he should act. IDK, anyone else feel that way?

He does feel very different, but you also have to keep in mind it's a reimagining or a reboot so to speak. There's a reason he acts somewhat differently and my guess since you started playing with him you already know what's coming.

I'm glad not alone. I had the same problems with 3D.

Still really enjoy the game.

Yeah the 3D messed me up certain places and even days depending on what's going on. I usually had it stuck at half because if I cranked it to full it makes me feel sickish.

ahm998

This game really awesome .

Really enjoy Boss fight, but why they didn't add Boss mode.

Only missing thing.

-More weapon & combo & Magic.
-Extra secret & content.

I'll praise the character design and the scenaries... they look amazing, just like LoS was. I still don't like some of the monsters, though.

Soundtrack is crap. Also, they needed better enemy placement, shit looks abandoned sometimes. =/

That might have to do with the leveling system as you can only go up to lvl 18 and having more enemies would level you up to max quickly and making you overpowered early on. That's my guess though.

I'm also surprised to hear some people having problems with the 3D. The only thing that happens to me after playing it on full 3D is that my eyes or mind try to see other stuff in 3D that isn't.

The footage in addition his negatives seemed borderline contradictory.

For instance, he talks about the colors of Dracula's castle being too drab and full of "browns" and whatnot. First of all, the Lords of Shadow series, like it or not, paints a more rooted, less Japanese take on the Transylvania countryside and the castle and guess what, as such, yes, more natural tones make complete sense and fit perfectly well with the atmosphere that they're trying to establish which seems to be a bit closer to the actual lore of Vlad the Impaler (the emphasis on religious brotherhoods, the Order of the Dragon, etc.) and the eastern European setting than what we normally see from the franchise. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

This is also why the music is the way it is. People may not like it as much as the catchier music of Yamane, but this direction and atmosphere doesn't call for it or need it. Something that drives me fucking bonkers is the comparison to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. Holy hell. Protip, Howard Shore did not invent that style of music, and that style of music has been linked many times to European influenced countrysides and so on-- yes, the same type that can be found in both Lord of the Rings and Castlevania and other works of both fiction and non-fiction that share similar settings and sounds.

That isn't to say that Shore's music for Lord of the Rings is generic; it most certainly is not, but neither is Oscar Araujo's music. People may not like that type of music for Castlevania, but Lords of Shadow is the first Castlevania to realize that setting in a large-scale 3D attempt that absolutely calls for that kind of music. It's fine to not be fond of it, but to say that it doesn't fit the game or that it's just "generic Lord of the Rings music" is being a bit more than simple-minded about how music is written. Not even to mention, all of these Lord of the Rings soundtrack scholars seem to be wholly unaware of the fact that Shore's music and Oscar's music use their own distinct instrumentation. I realize that some people, all they hear is "epic brass" but if you actually god forbid analyze the music you'd realize that Shore's music is just as much its own thing as Oscar's is its own thing. There are similarities, but you can find similarities between many, many different scores for different mediums.

Hell I'd love to see an even more realistic, mature, gritty take on Castlevania. Well, maybe it wouldn't be Castlevania in that it wouldn't have the over the top fantasy elements like monsters and fairies and shit but I'd like to see more films or games take a stab at the actual Vlad the Impaler lore. The Lords of Shadow style is a bit closer to it. Maybe that's why I like them and accept them as Castlevania games. I'd be fine if the series went for an even more rooted and oppressive tone.

This post

so, so, so good

3D Land says you're wrong :p

From the demo I played though, with 2/3 the way up, yeah it's pretty damn striking. It just sucks that there's so much black as it leads to a fair amount of cross talk (something that 3DLand almost completely avoids)

I will definitely pick this up in the near future for sure

Vinny finishing Lords of Shadow on Giant Bomb's Unprofessional Fridays today made me want to play more of the series, so I went ahead and bought the game today.

It's great so far! Not liking this game's 3D, personally. I get lots of ghosting, particularly during cutscenes and if I accidentally move the system just very slightly during gameplay (which happens often) I get even more of it. When the 3D looks as intended though it does indeed look fantastic and significantly nicer than the game does in 2D.

As for best 3D/use of 3D on the system, my two favourites are Super Mario 3D Land and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Top Bottom