• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

Xater

7threst said:
Could it be that a Euro-release depends on how well the game will sell when it gets a possible release in the US?
Euro-releases of Atlus-games are weird anyway. We didn't even get Strange Journey for example.

If you have a PS3 I'd recommend just importing the US version which is inevitable. I gave up waiting for Atlus games to be released in Europe. Some still do but most of the time it takes ages.

7threst

Xater said:
If you have a PS3 I'd recommend just importing the US version which is inevitable. I gave up waiting for Atlus games to be released in Europe. Some still do but most of the time it takes ages.

Yeah, I have a PS3 and import almost everything (on DS and PSP too) already. I totally gave up on localisations. A benefit of importing is of course the pre-order bonusses the American audience regularly gets. :)

However, some friends of mine only have a 360 and are interested in this game. I can imagine that it's pretty frustrating to be a 360-only gamer in Europe, and not being able to import games since there is a region-lock.

Peff

I think this one has a really good chance of coming over, honestly. It's one thing not to bring the niche DS/PSP games, what with the high piracy rate and all, but Catherine is from the Persona team, HD and multiplatform. It's likely that a big company like Square-Enix or Namco could publish it, but even if they don't I'm sure Rising Star Games or Ghostlight or any of the smaller publishers will end up bringing it over. We got Deadly Premonition after all, which was in a much worse position.

Still importing the US version though :p

atomsk

Party Pooper
re: difficulty

I never felt like the game was cheap in terms of difficulty, even though I died about 50-75 times. Granted, for "easy" that probably seems excessive, but I could always tell where I was making the mistakes.

I would imagine they'll make the advancing blocks slower and add more checkpoints.

putarorex

Genkobar said:
@putarorex, are you sure you weren't just under the spell of the
butt monster, that reverses your controls
? If you're in Stage 3, it's caused by the
rain of hearts that pours down the tower
. The only time aside from that when the controls would get screwy for me, was when I'd have Vincent hanging from a block on the "back-side" of the tower; the left and right would switch from his perspective to the player's sometimes.

Yeah, I figured this out after giving the game another try last night. But I have switched to playing on easy. The select button "redo block move" option makes things a little less hectic. Still, this is one of those games were I like the story more than the actual gameplay.

It is also fun to see
how other players answered questions in the confession box. I would like to see how the answers skew in the west vs. Japan; although I suspect many people will just answer based on whether the want the good or bad ending.

There are some other things that make the game interesting from a cultural perspective. Given the names and English in the game, it is supposedly set in the US, but there are few places left in the States where you can smoke in bars. Some of the conversations in the game about dating, men and women, and such seem perfectly natural in a Japanese environment but could strike westerners as dated. I would like to play the localized version just to see how they handle these kind of things.

Zoc

Is there much difference between the demo and the full game in terms of gameplay? Is there any interactivity in the waking sections? I like games with different-from-usual ideas, but I'm not sure if the combination of puzzle/cartoon cutscenes is enough to hold my attention.

How about the story? I find Japanese stories like this too often veer often into the supernatural or fantastic. I expect that's the case here, too, but is it really bad?

Jonnyram

atomsk said:
re: difficulty

I never felt like the game was cheap in terms of difficulty, even though I died about 50-75 times. Granted, for "easy" that probably seems excessive, but I could always tell where I was making the mistakes.

I would imagine they'll make the advancing blocks slower and add more checkpoints.
Agree 100%.
It's not that it's cheap, it's just that it takes a while to figure out what to do on each stage, and because of the finite "retry" structure, it's a pain in the ass. Once your retries run out, you have to go back to load your saved game, and that's pretty time consuming considering how quickly you find yourself dying.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Oh man I hope my copy gets here tomorrow. Spoilers are getting harder to avoid and resist...

Zoc said:
How about the story? I find Japanese stories like this too often veer often into the supernatural or fantastic. I expect that's the case here, too, but is it really bad?
Supernatural phenomena is the focal point of the entire story.

Pyrokai

So the Japanese version contains subtitles? I may have to import the PS3 version if so......

Edit: I ask because in the OP it says the "Asian" version does NOT contain subtitles. Does....that include the Japanese version or are there technically two different versions out there or something? I is confused (yes I know Japan is Asia...I'm a geography major, after all :p )

Zoe

Pyrokai said:
So the Japanese version contains subtitles? I may have to import the PS3 version if so......

Edit: I ask because in the OP it says the "Asian" version does NOT contain subtitles. Does....that include the Japanese version or are there technically two different versions out there or something? I is confused (yes I know Japan is Asia...I'm a geography major, after all :p )

NO version contains subtitles. Sometimes the Asian version will, but not this time.

Zoc

luka said:
Oh man I hope my copy gets here tomorrow. Spoilers are getting harder to avoid and resist...

Supernatural phenomena is the focal point of the entire story.

I guess it sounded like a dumb question, then, but based on the demo, I didn't know if it was straight supernatural or just really weird and freaky.

cj_iwakura

Kind of disappointed that they catered to them, but that's just me. I say make it harder. Atlus never backed down to beginners, why start now?

Okay, I guess P3P did.

And for what it's worth, I'll be streaming it when I get it, most likely.

I may or may not die horribly.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I don't think the difficulty is a problem, but what IS a problem is the roundabout way you have to restart your game after you use up all of your continues.

Right now this is what you have to do:
Die, use up all your continues
Pick Return to Title Screen
Pick Load Game
Pick Save data

It's really annoying and takes a surprisingly long time because of load times (and yes, I actually have the game installed on my 360). The best solution would be to either give players multiple continues per pillow you pick up, or add a Load Game or Start from the beginning of the dungeon option.

I was really lucky because the dungeons that I did get stuck on had a pillow lying in my path, so I would make sure to pick it up every time so I didn't lose any continues. Unfortunately on a lot of puzzles you don't have that benefit.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jonnyram said:
Your own choice does, yes.
AND SOME OF THEM MAKE NO SENSE. I have no idea why three of them changed me how they did.
Game is amazing, though.

simtmb

Finally got my copy. Came with the bonus soundtrack and artbook which i wanted. Going through Normal difficulty on my first try. Loving it so far as expected. Just stopped after finishing the Nightmare level on the 3rd Day.

I love the difficulty, puzzle section gameplay is intense, music godlike, visuals brilliant. Not really anything bad to say about the game from my end.

Here's hoping it gets localized in the near future.

Played through the game on normal in 20 hours. Probably closer to 25 as I fell victim to the reload saved game cycle a few times. I talked to all the NPCs, replied to all emails and played Rapunzel a lot too. It's tough on the first play through. Apart from the first, I bronzed every other stage. Usually I'd rage quit on a retry fest like this but the story is so good! I love a good reality bending story.

I did the goodie two shoes path first
and ended married with Katherine. I suspected Catherine wasn't real early on as they edited around her appearance and nobody else spoke to her. When everyone else leaves the Stray Sheep, Catherine appears and when you drink with her your drink doesn't run out like usual too. I'm playing through it again and favouring Catherine this time to see how it changes. So far all that's different is what Vincent thinks in them heart pounding moments with the mysterious meter popping up.

It is so much easier on a second play through even on normal. I wish I started on easy the first time around to save myself from hundreds of deaths and retries. I found skipping checkpoints on some stages nets you two or more retry pillows assuming you get far enough without dying. I had 50 pillows at one point which made a nice buffer to make it through the last few stages.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
simtmb said:
Finally got my copy. Came with the bonus soundtrack and artbook which i wanted. Going through Normal difficulty on my first try. Loving it so far as expected. Just stopped after finishing the Nightmare level on the 3rd Day.

I love the difficulty, puzzle section gameplay is intense, music godlike, visuals brilliant. Not really anything bad to say about the game from my end.

Here's hoping it gets localized in the near future.
Did you order from playasia? Mine still isn't here. :(

cj_iwakura

Those with super shipping seem to have gotten it dang quick. I used the budget sort, so I expect I'll have it by Wednesday.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
pizzafreedom said:
Really? Did you preorder it? Because mine came the day after it launched.
Yeah, I kind of skimped on shipping. Import fees are nuts here.
I was wondering what's happening with PA and the bonuses. When I preordered Ar Tonelico 3 from them I didn't get any of the extra stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
Expecting my order tomorrow too. Damn President's day. That said hope I get preorder goodies too. I had a little delay of when they shipped.

Riposte

I am afraid I'll never get to play this game in its original difficulty if I wait for the English version...

Jonnyram

I'm deliberately going the "bad guy" route on my first playthrough, but I have a question about something.
There are some points in cutscenes where the "??? meter" appears, with the pointer waving, but there are no dialogue options. Can you do anything at these points, or is it just indicating that this is where something different would happen if you had a different state?

Volcynika

Jonnyram said:
I'm deliberately going the "bad guy" route on my first playthrough, but I have a question about something.
There are some points in cutscenes where the "??? meter" appears, with the pointer waving, but there are no dialogue options. Can you do anything at these points, or is it just indicating that this is where something different would happen if you had a different state?

Yeah I noticed that too, was wondering what was up with that. Also going for the bad guy route. :p

fubarduck

Hyperborean said:
I am afraid I'll never get to play this game in its original difficulty if I wait for the English version...

I think we're pretty much the same kind of gamer. We like challenges, and never stray from difficult titles. I am a Golden God in Super Meat Boy!

That having been said, the game design of Catherine is absolutely horrible.

You get only 5 continues -- for the whole game. Once you run out, you have to load from a save file.

What this means is that for a puzzle that takes 50 times to complete (and it will take you that many times for some of them), you would have to rewatch the same 2-3 minute cutscenes 49 times.

So, if you use several of your continues in the beginning stages (which you will) and then save with only one or two continues, you will literally spend more time watching the same cutscene over and over than playing the game.

That's the complaint about the game in Japan. Not that it's too hard, but that "5 continues" is completely arbitrary and forces you to unnecessarily waste hours of your life.

Ways this mechanic could be forgivable:

- Your 5 continues could be refreshed for each new level (they aren't)
- You could load a save file that puts you right at the beginning of the puzzle (you can't)
- You could just have infinite continues

I'm curious as to what Atlus intends to do with the patch. I don't want the game to be less difficult at all; the difficulty is just fine as-is. I simply want to actually play the game instead of watching the same cutscene for 2 hours in exchange for 5 minutes of gameplay.

Finaika

fubarduck said:
What this means is that for a puzzle that takes 50 times to complete (and it will take you that many times for some of them), you would have to rewatch the same 2-3 minute cutscenes 49 times.
Maybe the cutscenes are worth watching 50 times?

Volcynika

fubarduck said:
I think we're pretty much the same kind of gamer. We like challenges, and never stray from difficult titles. I am a Golden God in Super Meat Boy!

You get only 5 continues -- for the whole game. Once you run out, you have to load from a save file.

So, if you use several of your continues in the beginning stages (which you will) and then save with only one or two continues, you will literally spend more time watching the same cutscene over and over than playing the game.

That's the complaint about the game in Japan. Not that it's too hard, but that "5 continues" is completely arbitrary and forces you to unnecessarily waste hours of your life.

- You could load a save file that puts you right at the beginning of the puzzle (you can't)

I'm curious as to what Atlus intends to do with the patch. I don't want the game to be less difficult at all; the difficulty is just fine as-is. I simply want to actually play the game instead of watching the same cutscene for 2 hours in exchange for 5 minutes of gameplay.

I know this is kind of a lame solution, but I just skip the cutscenes if I have to repeat them. D:

Yaweee

fubarduck said:

Oh, a dumb and completely senseless continue feature? Sounds like the Persona team hard at work. # of continues was the only difference for P3 and P4's "Easy" mode. It was a bit of a convenience due to the dungeon crawling, but a finite number of non-replenishable continues over a rather long RPG made absolutely no sense, whatsoever, and did very little to actually change the difficulty of the game. They're just brining that mechanic to Catherine, and if they managed to not change the continue systems between P3, FES, P4, and P3P, I can't imagine them changing it in a patch for Catherine, or even during the localization process for it.

Super Meat Boy is considered a hard game, but it isn't that frustrating because there's absolute no BS load times or life mechanics getting in between attempts at the stages. I really wish more games that aimed to be difficult would realize that's kind of the key to minimizing the frustration.

fubarduck

Volcynika said:
I know this is kind of a lame solution, but I just skip the cutscenes if I have to repeat them. D:

You still have to sit through talking at the bar where you last saved, then wait for each cutscene to load before you can skip, PLUS there's an unskippable cutscene at the beginning of each stage while entering the door.

There's no solution, Atlus just released an unplayable piece of software. I'll wait for the patch.

Fortunately this bullshit will be sorted out by the time (when and if) it reaches Western shores.

yaweee said:
Oh, a dumb and completely senseless continue feature? Sounds like the Persona team hard at work. # of continues was the only difference for P3 and P4's "Easy" mode. It was a bit of a convenience due to the dungeon crawling, but a finite number of non-replenishable continues over a rather long RPG made absolutely no sense, whatsoever, and did very little to change the difficulty of the game. They're just brining that mechanic to Catherine, and if they managed to not change the continue systems between P3, FES, P4, and P3P, I can't imagine them changing it in a patch for Catherine.

The difference is, in an RPG you don't die within the first 10 seconds of gameplay, and you can save before each battle. If you could save at the beginning of the level, it'd be fine.

Great news for Catherine

Team Persona's HD debut topped the charts in its first week of release, selling 141,826 units on PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 version debuted at seven with 21,936 units.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/24/catherine_tops_charts/

This is really impressive when you consider that Atlus was targeting 150k for Catherine

Catherine is the first HD game from the folks behind Persona. That makes it a big event amongst gamers, and it looks like Atlus aims for it to sell a decent amount. The publisher said today that it hopes to sell 150,000 units of the Xbox 360 and PS3 title following its release this Winter.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/22/atlus_restructuring/

Spwn

Good news. I guess that pretty much confirms a US release at some point. There's no way Atlus USA can ignore the demand for the game and they've shown signs that they haven't.

Yaweee

fubarduck said:
The difference is, in an RPG you don't die within the first 10 seconds of gameplay, and you can save before each battle. If you could save at the beginning of the level, it'd be fine.

In SMT, yes, you can die in the first ten second of gameplay, and you can't save before each battle. Many boss fights had long events and cutscenes leading up to them that could not be skipped.

Jonnyram said:
You can't do anything. It pops up to remind you where you are meter-wise then you hear Vincent's state of mind as a result of it. I'm doing the bad guy route after completing it as the good guy and the scenes play out the same but what he thinks is different.

Top Bottom