• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

cj_iwakura

MwLUfoB.png

(Special thanks to Vally for the hot banners!)

I will not say that women have no character.
Rather, they have a new one every day. -Heinrich Heine

eor7FlU.png

Marriage is a lottery in which men stake their liberty and women their happiness.
-Madame de Rieux

Catherine is Atlus' first in-house HD title, built from the ground up on the Gamebryo engine; notable for powering The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, among others.

Despite the game's title, the main character is a simple bachelor by the name of Vincent Brooks.

Catherine is a stylish 22-year-old with the charms of a young girl who seduces him into a one-night stand.

However, Vincent has another woman in his life; his long-term girlfriend named Katherine McBride.

Not long after meeting Catherine, Vincent begins having nightmares of falling to his death, and being pursued by demonic creatures.

Rumors are spreading of those who cheat on their women having the same dreams, and turning up dead in the morning; the daily news reports of bachelors found dead in their beds are lending credence to the stories.

Catherine's gameplay is broken up into days and nights. During the day, Vincent lives out his day to day life... or tries to. In the evening, he spends his free time at the Stray Sheep bar. Then .... the nightmares begin.

During the nightmare sequences, Vincent has to ascend an ever-changing tower before he falls to his death; or worse, something drags him screaming to it.

If he doesn't survive, Love Is Over.

In the days between, Vincent will have to manage his relationship between the two -atherines, in addition to hanging out with his friends at the Stray Sheep bar, and possibly helping others with their troubles.

Will Vincent choose Katherine or Catherine? Or even survive to make a decision?

Time is short.

UhRDmk0.png

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.
-William Shakespeare (As You Like It)

Vincent Brooks - Age 32
1.jpg

A lackadaisical system engineer. Spends his days working, and his nights drinking.
Vincent's in no hurry to get married; he likes things to remain as they are.

Katherine McBride - Age 32
2.jpg

A fashion designer, and Vincent's friend since grade school; has been his steady girlfriend for years, and his friend for even longer. As of late, her mother is pressuring her to settle down, which leads to her expecting the same of Vincent.

Catherine - Age 22
3.jpg

A young woman who appears at the Stray Sheep bar one evening, and manages to charm her way into a highly inebriated Vincent's bed. Catherine enjoys her free will, and doesn't want to be pinned down. (But if you cheat on her, she'll never forgive you.)

Orlando Haddick
6.jpg

Vincent's co-worker, a fellow system engineer. Has a very jaded outlook on love and relationships, due to having been backstabbed by women one too many times.

Jonathan 'Johnny' Ariga
4.jpg

A used car salesman. Johnny is always on the move between relationships, and will not settle down until he finds 'the one'.

Tobey Nebbins
5.jpg

A laid-back mechanic who works with Johnny. Has a serious crush on Erica, and plans to marry the first girl he meets; or at least the first one that lets him.

Erica Anderson
7.jpg

The waitress of the Stray Sheep bar. Always in the know when it comes to town gossip.

Boss
8.jpg

The proprietor of the Stray Sheep. Knows all there is to know about the Stray Sheep's clientele. He wears his sunglasses at night.

Midnight Venus
1694445-midnightvenus_wiki_super.png

The hostess of the ever-popular Golden Theater midnight broadcast.
Also the primary hostess for the events which transpire in the crazy world of Catherine.

0tsSV4q.png

Love is blind -- marriage is the eye-opener.
- Pauline Thomason

qGk9M.jpg

E1Jw9.jpg

W74Il.jpg

XLHOg.jpg

z2TKM.jpg

F3kKt.jpg

3d1UU.jpg

SlTnA.jpg

35STIsD.png

Love is the dawn of marriage, and marriage is the sunset of love.
-French saying

ps3box.jpg
xboxbox.jpg

Walmart Alternate Box art
51DWkVAQUWL.jpg

51R97bVQT8L.jpg

KcNvwPn.png

Never marry for money. Ye'll borrow it cheaper.
- Scottish Proverb

(JP)

Debut Trailer
Relationship Trailer
Mystery Trailer
Gameplay Trailer
Marriage Trailer

(US)

Debut Trailer
Cheating Discussion
Meet Vincent Brooks
Catherine or Katherine?

zY3y3Cm.png

To marry is to halve your rights and double your duties.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Game Informer - 7
IGN - 9.0
Gamepro - 4 Stars
Destructoid - 9/10
1UP - A
EGM - 8.5
Gametrailers - 7.8 (Spoilers in review)

F.A.Q.

Release date? / Price?
July 26th, $59.99; with artbook & OST.

Limited Edition?
$79.99; artbook, OST, pillow case, shirt(!), boxers(?!), pizza box(!?).

Is there a Japanese dialogue option?
No. The game's graphics were modified to fit the US voiceovers, and the dub cast is great.
Enjoy it and please, PLEASE don't keep bringing this up.

Are there multiple endings?
Yes, based on alignment.
There are nine in all.

Multiplayer?
Online leaderboards and offline co-op(For Babel and Colosseum).

How hard is this game?
Easy will baby you. Normal will challenge you. Hard will break you.
Persist, and persevere.

I Need HAAAAAAALP!!
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Catherine_Wiki

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/605302-catherine/faqs/62439

Failing that, ask away!

Nemesis_

I wish I could play the demo right now, it's US only it seems. I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Anony

cj_iwakura said:
Is there a Japanese dialogue option?
No. The game's graphics were modified to fit the US voiceovers, and the dub cast is great.
Enjoy it and please, PLEASE don't keep bringing this up.

NOPE

Great OT! Day one Love is Over CE baby! I'm gonna wear those boxers, dat shirt, put pizza in the Stray Sheep box, and play with the pillow tucked under my arm, bwahahah!

Having played the demo I am cautiously optimistic for this game. I think it might be better at a 40 dollar price point and seeing as most if not all new games have been dropping in price I do have the patience to wait, but when it drops its all mine

Also, Katherine McBride is her name? oh atlus, stay classy

Psi

I know I should wait a few weeks for a $40 Amazon sale but I'll probably end up getting it day 1. The only other game I'm tempted to day 1 this year is Dark Souls so that's not so bad on the wallet and I want to support a new IP that isn't a meat head bro shooter.

tiff

Banned
Nice OP.

Haven't decided on Day 1 yet but I'm sure I'll try it eventually. Looks too interesting to ignore.

Will definitely be getting the SE though. Boxer's ain't my type.

I keep leaning on the fence with this game. I'm gonna give the demo one last try, the constant chatter of its difficulty worries me. Not a fan of being frustrated.

TxdoHawk

Like others, I was tempted to wait for the inevitable price drop two weeks later, but it has been a loooooooong time since something came out on disc I truly wanted. Day 1, will happily support the quirk.

An-Det

I've had it preordered for a while. The demo was good, and it'll be the persona team's first HD title. Should be great.

Nemesis556 said:
I wish I could play the demo right now, it's US only it seems. I am very interested to see how this turns out.

I dont know if it is still up, but there was a demo on the JP PSN as well. But the PS3 is region-free anyway, just make a US account and download it.

Great job on the OT. The quotes are a nice touch.

I'll probably pre-order the game on Amazon soon so I can invest some good time in it before school starts. Looks like a pretty unique experience.

cj_iwakura

Square Triangle said:
I keep leaning on the fence with this game. I'm gonna give the demo one last try, the constant chatter of its difficulty worries me. Not a fan of being frustrated.

You will die, and lots, until you realize some very simple, easily overlooked building tricks for ascending the tower. Then it becomes fun.

cj_iwakura

An-Det said:
I dont know if it is still up, but there was a demo on the JP PSN as well. But the PS3 is region-free anyway, just make a US account and download it.

The JP demo is gone. I still have it(PS3), and could probably reupload it if people want. It's literally exactly the same as the US demo, though.

BEAUTIFUL OP, next week can't come soon enough.

Quick question for those in the know...
NO SPOILERS, but is there an obviouspoint where someone should make an extra save to branch out to at least a few of the different endings?

Also how significantly does the game branch? Do you get incredibly different story progressions based on your decisions or mostly does your ending just change?

Again, all the best if you can answer this without spoilers.

meltingparappa said:
NO SPOILERS, but is there an obviouspoint where someone should make an extra save to branch out to at least a few of the different endings?

It's very hard to answer this without at least mild spoilers. Go with your instincts on your first playthrough, the endings are all quite satisfying if you're a fan of consequences for your actions.

I'm getting this from Amazon for $40 using some game credit I got. I love Atlus and Atlus' Persona team, so I can't wait for this game. Plus I love unique puzzle games so yay.

I will be faithful to my lovely Catherine my first playthrough, damn whatever alignment it gives me.

cj_iwakura

meltingparappa said:
BEAUTIFUL OP, next week can't come soon enough.

Quick question for those in the know...

Also how significantly does the game branch? Do you get incredibly different story progressions based on your decisions or mostly does your ending just change?

Again, all the best if you can answer this without spoilers.

To the first, yes.

To the second, primarily the ending.

Thoraxes

Glorious OT. I was waiting for this. The unboxing video has my "BUY BUY BUY" finger twitching to upgrade to the "Love is Over" edition.

please no one bring up any spoilers. i mainly want to see what happens for myself so i try not to read to much about the game to avoid that.

Kaldea

Pre-ordered. Normally not into games like these, but I really liked the demo.

Can't stand Catherine and I can't wait to hate her more. :D

Nix

Banned
Oh man, in a week this is mine. (If Amazon delivers quickly)

Love Katherine, kill Catherine with fire!!! Oh, and building stairs is surprisingly satisfying. Hate time limits though.

Mr.Fresh

Are the block puzzles the only type of puzzles in the game or are there other kinds?

a little off topic but how do you know if you have amazon credit?

meltingparappa said:
PERFECT. Thank you.
Aka, I foresee this being the type of game where I inexplicably have 500 megs worth of saves, just in case.

Unless it was changed for the localization, Catherine limits you to 12 total save slots.

HYPE TRAIN!

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

Seriously. Other than the Dust 514 beta and El Shaddai, I've been looking forward to playing this more than anything else this year. CANNOT WAIT!

Reclaimer

Preordered 360 version! Really fun demo.

(Probably LTTP on this.. but..) Silly they have to make different (basically censored) covers for Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. There are more scandalous images on the covers of magazines in checkout stands. Hopefully it at least helps get this game into more hands!

Atlus PR Manager said:
"Catherine’s cover art is NOT being altered for North America. There is just an extra option being made available for more sensitive shoppers."
Regular

Sensitively cropped

Question: Can I change difficulty mid way through the game? I'd like to start on Normal at least, but worry that I might have to drop the difficulty just to stave off frustration. I'd really like to see the story to the end with this one.

Top Bottom