• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

cj_iwakura

Ace_235 said:
Are the block puzzles the only type of puzzles in the game or are there other kinds?

Just block puzzles, but considering how many kinds of blocks there are, that's easily at least seven varieties.

Reclaimer said:
Question: Can I change difficulty mid way through the game? I'd like to start on Normal at least, but worry that I might have to drop the difficulty just to stave off frustration. I'd really like to see the story to the end with this one.

Nope.

cj_iwakura

Nemesis556 said:
What kind of game is this anyway, the OT was lite on those details =(

If only it had trailers!

But seriously, it's a hard beast to pin down. It's a little bit of Sakura Wars, a little bit of Intelligent Qube, and a little bit of Silent Hill, and a lot of insanity.

If anything, I'd say it's an action puzzler horror relationship simulation... thing.

TP

It's been a long time since I paid $60 for a game. I hope the artbook and soundtrack are worth it.

cj_iwakura, maybe you should mention that some retailers are offering alternate covers.

51DWkVAQUWL.jpg

51R97bVQT8L.jpg

cj_iwakura

As an import owner of the PS3 version, I have to say it's a very sharp cover, and I prefer Katherine too.

Also, this is probably the first Atlus game where every single line in the game is voice acted.

Well, excluding the text messages. You can imagine how much work that entailed.

I have a question: Other than the bar at night, and the nightmare world, are there other places to explore with Vincent? Like, does he have a day job? Do we have an opportunity to explore his workplace and interact with npcs? Or is it purely cut scenes during the day?

C-Jo

firehawk12 said:
I can *almost* forgive the lack of a Japanese voice track, because that costs money. But how hard would it have been to include both covers with the games?
It's not something I'll ever think about again once its on my shelf, but yeah that would've been a nice touch.

I'm not going to harp on it though. I'm just happy it's coming out here at all. Plus Atlus did a fantastic job with the art book, sound track and (full color!) manual.

cj_iwakura

SpaceBridge said:
I have a question: Other than the bar at night, and the nightmare world, are there other places to explore with Vincent? Like, does he have a day job? Do we have an opportunity to explore his workplace and interact with npcs? Or is it purely cut scenes during the day?

Sadly, everything outside of the bar is told through cutscenes, but you do see other locations.

There is a LOT to do in the bar, though. Conversations are real time. People will leave if you spend too much time doing other things.

cj_iwakura said:
Sadly, everything outside of the bar is told through cutscenes, but you do see other locations.

There is a LOT to do in the bar, though. Conversations are real time. People will leave if you spend too much time doing other things.

I guess Im so used to Persona-type Atlus games, that this will be new for me. Would you say that the activities you do get to actively interact in, makes for a deep and involving game?

SO HYPE for this right. So much so I'm thinking of getting both PS3 and 360 versions. :lol

Only one Love is Over Edition though (PS3). :)

cj_iwakura

SpaceBridge said:
I guess Im so used to Persona-type Atlus games, that this will be new for me. Would you say that the activities you do get to actively interact in, makes for a deep and involving game?

Oh yes.

cj_iwakura

Chef Cat said:
Soo, if you can't pre-order it, will there be another way to buy the soundtrack and artbook?

I'm pretty sure this is one of those 'packaged with all first run copies' deals. Could be wrong though. That's how I got the JP edition.

(I think we're getting a much better artbook, the JP one is pathetic; four pages.)

KyteTron

Banned
Nix said:
Oh man, in a week this is mine. (If Amazon delivers quickly)

Love Katherine, kill Catherine with fire!!! Oh, and building stairs is surprisingly satisfying. Hate time limits though.

Are you saying kill Miyuki Sawashiro? walk the plank.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the demo and went in expecting to be frustrated by the puzzles but found them oddly satisfying. Considering that was on Easy, it's a little hard to tell whether or not Normal crosses the line between challenging and downright punishing.

For those that have played: How much of the puzzling is reflex vs. intelligent choices? Not too into the former.

Day One regardless though.

cj_iwakura

Knuckleruckamus said:
Really enjoyed the demo and went in expecting to be frustrated by the puzzles but found them oddly satisfying. Considering that was on Easy, it's a little hard to tell whether or not Normal crosses the line between challenging and downright punishing.

For those that have played: How much of the puzzling is reflex vs. intelligent choices? Not too into the former.

Day One regardless though. Would love to know what the soundtrack has on it and some samples, considering that it's getting some positive press.

Main game is mostly reflex, but you get a little time early on. If you want traditional puzzles, that's what Rapunzel is for. (The in-bar arcade game, no time limit, REAL tough puzzles.)

The soundtrack is amazing. The nightmares are mostly classical remixes, the bar and story sequences are jazz & ambient guitar with a bit of electronica.

Here's some of my favorite tracks(nothing spoilers, these are all early game and/or from the bonus levels)

Stage
Also Sprach Brooks
Lamb Game Between ♂ and ♀

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Some Catherine avatars for you guys, feel free to grab:

2vmxdfc.jpg
2d1wr3a.jpg
14wdjic.jpg
jpvfir.jpg
344w520.jpg

i didn't enjoy the demo much but i'm still buying on day 1 because the story intrigues me.

ULTROS! said:
Some Catherine avatars for you guys, feel free to grab:

2vmxdfc.jpg
2d1wr3a.jpg
14wdjic.jpg
jpvfir.jpg
344w520.jpg

nice avvies. i can't bring myself to go against yuri tho.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
cj_iwakura said:
Main game is mostly reflex, but you get a little time early on. If you want traditional puzzles, that's what Rapunzel is for. (The in-bar arcade game, no time limit, REAL tough puzzles.)

The soundtrack is amazing. The nightmares are mostly classical remixes, the bar and story sequences are jazz & ambient guitar with a bit of electronica.

Here's some of my favorite tracks(nothing spoilers, these are all early game and/or from the bonus levels)

Stage
Also Sprach Brooks
Lamb Game Between ♂ and ♀

Thanks :) Pretty cool to know there's an in-bar version of the nightmare stuff that isn't timed that's actually much harder rather than being a gimped trainer version.

Psi

I'm surprised so many people seem to prefer the Katherine cover. Guess I'm in the minority that likes the Catherine Cleavage Cover™ better.

Psi said:
I'm surprised so many people seem to prefer the Katherine cover. Guess I'm in the minority that likes the Catherine Cleavage Cover™ better.

I'm a fan of both covers. Which is part of the reason why I'm may get both versions. :p

tiff

Banned
KyteTron said:
Awesome work... but I cherish my loli's too much.
Speaking of which, I like the new avy.

Psi said:
Blonde supremacy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Psi said:
It's just much more classier - which makes sense since Katherine is the better girl anyway. :p

cj_iwakura

Also, for you Persona fans, (US VA wise) Katherine is Yukari and Catherine is Rise(also P3P's female lead).

Tough call.

ultron87

Psi said:

Katherine cover + Catherine artbook cover. Best of both worlds.

Top Bottom