• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Holy crap.

On 6-4. playing on normal and it just got mind numbingly difficult.

I just can't wait to get past the boss so I can see where the story is going. I love the game, despite being frustrating.

I never pay attention to game's stories, so for that alone I say this is one of the best games I've played in years.

Oh man. Ohmanohmanohman. I'm on the 7th night and I think I've worked out what's going on. Gonna try and beat it tonight and see if I'm right.

cj_iwakura

RomanticHeroX said:
Wait, when is the
Erica thing revealed? I beat it twice with two Catherine-centric endings and I don't think I saw any of that.

It's implied in a lot of casual conversations, too.

OP updated with a little help section.

Yuripaw

Banned
pelicansurf said:
7-3 is so hilariously fucked up. I was wondering why the bell was ringing from the get go.
7-3 was the only time i had to resort to a guide >_<

edit: whoops, i'm thinking of 7-4. that was the one i got stuck on

White Man

I'm digging the game, but I feel like the controls are clunky, Even when you don't slide around back. It's hosed me a bunch. If I were playing this on a non-rewind difficulty, I'd probably have chucked the disk.

Fast load times, too. If they were lengthy, I'd have quit. Same deal as nu-Alice. Fast loads are a good counterbalance to some ugghh factors. Every developer working on consoles really needs to learn that

Kambing

Havok said:
Also (character background spoilers - probably better wait until you finish to read it):
Do they ever explain who Jonny betrayed and how? He keeps whining about it as a sheep but its never really fleshed out to my knowledge.
That's what i was wondering too -_-

I just got 2 additional endings, true and normal, both on Catherine's side. Seriously, once you sleep with red, you'll never leave the bed! The Catherine true ending is far superior to the other Katherine true ending. Just in terms of the context of the game, it fits the universe so well. Very satisfied with team RED. We need to make a RED team defense force!

on my 2nd playthrough, this time on normal. up to the final stages. 7-2 and 7-3 had my mind working overdrive. will finish tomorrow and hope for a better ending than BAD LOVER what i got the first time. too short and too dumb an ending.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
White Man said:
I'm digging the game, but I feel like the controls are clunky, Even when you don't slide around back. It's hosed me a bunch. If I were playing this on a non-rewind difficulty, I'd probably have chucked the disk.

The hanging controls are very confusing, especially when you end up offscreen. The game is hard enough as it is, so it's kinda frustrating when you're fighting against the controls.

Anyways, I'm escaping from the giant butt right now. I've cooled off a bit on the game, mostly because this puzzle level is dragging on too long. I like the idea behind the puzzle gameplay, but after a certain amount of trial and error, I start to just wish it was over.

I'm motivated to push through because I love the vibe and I want to experience the game outside of the nightmares, but I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time pushing through to the end.

Up to stage 5, so far only stage 3 - final has given me trouble, I think it took me 15 tries. I'm up to about 65 continues now though.

Really loving the game so far.

Moving blocks in dynamic ways is starting to become more natural to me. I was worried I'd never be able to beat this or even get very far, but it really isn't that bad when you get the hang of it. Still tense as fuck though.

Also, the Rapunzel game is awesome.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! beat Stage 4.

only got Silver rank this time...

had to use an item once to make a block coz I couldnt figure out how to climb that part.

had to use another item to kill all the other sheep coz they were a pain...

does anyone know if using items lowers your score???

or does anyone even know how the scoring works at all?!?!?!

Erigu

Havok said:
Also (character background spoilers - probably better wait until you finish to read it):
Do they ever explain who Jonny betrayed and how? He keeps whining about it as a sheep but its never really fleshed out to my knowledge.
I don't remember it being that vague? He feels guilty about still harboring feelings for Katherine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it!
Got the true Lover ending and also fixed the NPC issues with everyone, awesome stuff. I really liked the final bosses, though I can definitely see why people wouldn't be a fan of the camera moving around, shit got really hectic.

This is honestly one of my favorite games this whole generation so far. Even off the demo I liked the box puzzles more than I expected, but I was trying to keep it in check with how hard I heard the game was and expected it to get really random and cheap. While challenging, they were perfectly fair and not nearly as hard as I expected, and I ended up falling in love with these parts and felt extremely satisfied when I beat each level. The only misstep I feel like the puzzles have is the backwards hanging controls, those really don't add anything but an annoyance.

JEKKI said:
whooo~!!! beat Stage 4.

only got Silver rank this time...

had to use an item once to make a block coz I couldnt figure out how to climb that part.

had to use another item to kill all the other sheep coz they were a pain...

does anyone know if using items lowers your score???

or does anyone even know how the scoring works at all?!?!?!

I'm not entirely sure here, but I think it's based on the money. You can use items you pick up, but the reason buying one hurts your score is because your overall money is lower. I atleast know the ranks AREN'T level based, since you just get an overall rank. If you get a bronze on 4-1 and then ace the hell out of 4-2, you still get a bronze on 4-2 because there's an overall score you're trying to reach and 4-1 was too low to make up for it.

Kevtones

Enjoying it. 2 levels in.

+ Presentation is very nice.
+ I like the mechanics.
+ Texting is pretty awesome.
+ Story arrives quickly.

- Controls are iffy. Way easy to do the wrong thing.
- Dialogue is pretty poor.

cj_iwakura

Sometimes you need to just sit back and appreciate the cutscenes, It's amazing they got so much expression into this graphic engine.

JEKKI

cj_iwakura said:
The best way to guarantee Gold is to max the chain and get all the coins. Chain takes priority.
I know that, that's how I played the demo.

but I previously mentioned that I did NOT full chain and full collect in stage 3, yet I still got the gold

I donno, it's the way I play games like this... when I see meters and counters I go crazy and try to be the best!!!

PewPewK

Just finished the game a couple of hours ago.

The game was quite awesome. Little disappointed by the ending I got
(The good ending with Katherine; not the True Lover ending)
so I'm considering a second playthrough now to get a different ending. I tried looking up all the endings on the Internet, but all I could find were the 8 endings in Japanese. Guess I'll just have to wait a week or so before I can watch the rest of them.

Anyway, the game was great. Wish there was a bit more diversity in the puzzles, but the game has a quick enough pace that you can get through the puzzle sections before they start to drag on and hit what I feel the game was really designed for, the story.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yuripaw said:
7-3 was the only time i had to resort to a guide >_<

edit: whoops, i'm thinking of 7-4. that was the one i got stuck on
We might be thinking of the same one, I might just be messing up the stage numbers.
the four staggered towers?

Yuripaw

Banned
pelicansurf said:
We might be thinking of the same one, I might just be messing up the stage numbers.
the four staggered towers?
yep, that's it. I was just like, wtf am I supposed to do...

pelicansurf

Yuripaw said:
yep, that's it. I was just like, wtf am I supposed to do...
I didnt know the stage was so short when I first started the level, but after a few tries I changed the camera angle and noticed the exit was right there. I couldn't help but laugh. I'm proud to say I'm now on day
on normal and I've yet to use a guide for any of the puzzles.

Yuripaw

Banned
After I had beat this game, I wish they had just added a way for me to just replay the stages or something and have it unlocked on the main menu. It doesn't give you a clear save when you beat the game, and my last save happened to be in the middle of the last day. To my knowledge, you can only go back and retry stages from the bar on your cell phone, so I'm kinda bummed that I can't just go back in right now and replay stages. Seems like all I can do is start a new game, and I'm not ready to do that just yet :/

If I'm missing something tho, let me know.

One of the funniest things Vincent says all game. (Not really a spoiler but marked it just in case.)
"Fucking blocks! I'm gonna climb the shit out of you!"
The dialog in this game is hilarious.

PewPewK

I Push Fat Kids said:
Would've preferred:

a) slightly tighter controls
b) no undo
c) no time limit

There is no undo on Normal and above. Also I'd say the time limit is what makes the game so intense. The puzzle sections would be boring without it. But there is the Rapunzel minigame that isn't timed so you can just play that :p

PewPewK said:
There is no undo on Normal and above. Also I'd say the time limit is what makes the game so intense. The puzzle sections would be boring without it. But there is the Rapunzel minigame that isn't timed so you can just play that :p
You can undo on Normal.

Yuripaw

Banned
Anyone else find it funny when Vincent leaves the bar, he has that "trying not to look like i'm drunk" strut to him as he walks out the door? lol

woooooooo beat the game on normal. 2nd to last stage was a bitch, with the gun. think ill go back to easy for the rest of playthroughs. i got bad lover first time and this playthrough i got the normal ending, so it says. is that true lovers? i hope so. also the credits give away who the dumbass with the questions was i noticed this time around. color me surprised. is there an ending with that person? hasnt showed up in the 2 i got. love this game.

Sallokin

Finished it last night at like 3 am, now I'm the one who's sleep deprived. Got the true lawful Katherine ending and felt pretty good about it. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get the other two versions of it? Is it as simple as starting the final area over and answering the questions differently?

pelicansurf

I Push Fat Kids said:
Would've preferred:

a) slightly tighter controls
b) no undo
c) no time limit
I don't get the control issue. Everything's rock solid. I havent had a single death due to the controls messing up. Also, the time limit is what makes the puzzle sections fun and challenging. Otherwise it'd be like playing Rapunzel every night; the sense of fear and the pressure would be sucked out and the nightmares wouldn't be all that scary. You could also stop yourself from hitting the select button. That's the one issue you can fix yourself!

cj_iwakura

giancarlo123x said:
One of the funniest things Vincent says all game. (Not really a spoiler but marked it just in case.)
"Fucking blocks! I'm gonna climb the shit out of you!"
The dialog in this game is hilarious.

"I'm gonna renovate your ass!"

And yes, you can get the other ending variations(of the alignment type) by answering the final day's questions differently.

TheExodu5

Banned
pelicansurf said:
I don't get the control issue.

The controls require double taps when you're not facing the wall you want to climb, resulting in a lack of flow to the controls.
The controls are unintuitively reversed when you're behind a block.
If you're hanging off the left or right side of the block, you have to press up to climb, and not towards the block.
The framerate is 30fps, and sometimes drops below that, making controls feel sluggish.

frequency

I often get confused by the hanging controls. And sometimes when I mean to just turn so I can grab a block to push/pull it, Vincent climbs up instead. I've died a few times because of the controls.

I'm still enjoying the game though.

54-46!

Amir0x said:
Why would it make you feel better just 'cause a review is bad or good? Who cares. Judge for yerself :p
That's the point of a review though, to have someone else judge it for me so that I can decide if I should buy it or not. Are you referring people who already purchased it?

Not that I rely on reviews, watching gameplay videos do more for me at this point.

HiResDes

Did anybody get the Love Over Deluxe version? If so can someone give details as to how big the clothing is, as I'm worried it will be huge as a rather small guy.

Hari Seldon

How long is this game? I played the demo last night and found the puzzle mechanic fun enough so I might give this a shot.

Edit: Fuck it I just ordered it anyway lol.

TheExodu5 said:
The controls require double taps when you're not facing the wall you want to climb, resulting in a lack of flow to the controls.
The controls are unintuitively reversed when you're behind a block.
If you're hanging off the left or right side of the block, you have to press up to climb, and not towards the block.
The framerate is 30fps, and sometimes drops below that, making controls feel sluggish.
You can hold the d-pad and Vincent will walk and climb over obstacles. Also, when climbing on the backside of a wall or block, the controls only reverse when you stop. I haven't had any framerate issues at all (PS3).

Hari Seldon said:
How long is this game? I played the demo last night and found the puzzle mechanic fun enough so I might give this a shot.
17-20 hours.

Alrighty, so I hit the
(I presume) big twist and I'm now on the Emperio, stage 2. I thought I knew exactly what was going on but ended up being thrown for a loop

(and please, if any of this happens to still be right somehow between where I am and the end, don't let me know! Anyway...

...I had started to assume that Erica was behind it all. She was suitably annoyed with Vincent for cheating, and kept on warning him to stop, but she also kept trying to get him to stay in the bar every night after everyone else left - I was thinking that she was trying to get Vincent to stick around for when Catherine showed up. The part that REALLY started to get me suspecting her was when Toby started dropping hints that him and Erica were doin' the do, since he has the same voice actor (or at least, it sounds like it) as the mysterious kid in the nightmares. Characters always cut him off before he could talk more about Erica, but he does mention that she was moving around in her sleep. I figured Toby was jealous or spiteful of the guys and was subconsciously torturing them in his dreams through Erica, or something.

Anyway, I was totally wrong it seems, and I did not see
the Boss coming at all. When it plays that flashback of Catherine first appearing and saying "wow, look at all these people! Not my type of crowd, though" I was kicking myself for not noticing that the bar was empty.

Also, I really dug the
8th night. In my cutscene, Catherine accidentally stabbed herself trying to fight Katherine, although Katherine went for the knife first. I really felt bad watching Catherine taunt her, it was some pretty great animation and acting.

Anywho, yeah. Let me know if you thought similarly about the plot, but please don't tell me if I'm super right/wrong about anything yet to come! Still gotta beat
The Emperio and win back Katherine!

Fuck yeah,
Thomas Mutton

cj_iwakura

I just cleared Stage 7 on Hard(nasty, but it would've been impossible if I hadn't experienced the Normal version first), so I'll be there shortly.

The final boss said a hilarious catchphrase in Japanese, I'm curious about how it gets translated.

Nani-so, BOOM!

andymcc

Banned
HiResDes said:
Did anybody get the Love Over Deluxe version? If so can someone give details as to how big the clothing is, as I'm worried it will be huge as a rather small guy.

i'm a small dude too and i'm pretty sure everything is L sized.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Will I be able to play Rapunzel nonstop at some point or will it always be limited to the amount of credits you get per night? Or is it possible already and I'm just missing something?

I know I could just check a FAQ but I have bad history with looking for light info and being hit with spoilers.

pelicansurf

You can hold the d-pad and Vincent will walk and climb over obstacles. Also, when climbing on the backside of a wall or block, the controls only reverse when you stop. I haven't had any framerate issues at all (PS3).

17-20 hours.
Yea, I know/agree with everything you mentioned, thus why I don't get the control issue. I have also not seen the framerate drop once(ps3). I can see why people playing on the 360 might be gaving issues if they're using the stock 360 d-pad/joystick.

frequency

I'm on PS3 and use the d-pad, and I have control issues. I guess I must stop a lot because I always get confused when I'm hanging.

I didn't notice any frame rate drops, but I almost never do anyway, so...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The 360 dpad works fine, once you get used to the double tap the controls get a lot better. They really couldn't have done it any other way with some of the blocks they introduce later, people would have way more accidental deaths without it.

Top Bottom