• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Archurro

Can anyone explain how to get all the endings? I got the
true lover with Katherine ending
my first time through, but I'm not exactly sure how I got it. Does it have to do with difficulty, or purely on good/bad/neutral?

Kambing

If the game reaches or exceeds Atlus' sales expectation, do you guys think we will see a sequel for the game? Maybe not a direct sequel, but something in the vein of Catherine? This game was just so epic man. With a few tweaks to the mechanics and slight alterations to level design, the second iteration of Catherine would serious blow my fucking mind.

Archurro said:
my first time through, but I'm not exactly sure how I got it. Does it have to do with difficulty, or purely on good/bad/neutral?

From what i have read, it basically goes like this:

1. Chaos(red) and Order(blue) meter. The game determines three possible positions, heavily red, neutral or heavily blue.
2. On the last stage you will be asked 4 questions. How you answer these questions will determine what ending you will get.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The undo feature is a non-issue, you can just ignore it if you don't want to use it.

Once in a while I'll, for example, accidentally push instead of pull some crucial block and being able to undo makes the game flow much better than having to restart everything.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Archurro said:

The answer to the questions in the 9-x stages determine it, along with alignment.

Kambing said:
If the game reaches or exceeds Atlus' sales expectation, do you guys think we will see a sequel for the game? Maybe not a direct sequel, but something in the vein of Catherine? This game was just so epic man. With a few tweaks to the mechanics and slight alterations to level design, the second iteration of Catherine would serious blow my fucking mind.

I doubt we'll see something like this again, atleast in the same style(with the block puzzles). I REALLY hope they use this engine for more games though, it'd be a crime against humanity not to.

Fuu said:
The undo feature is a non-issue, you can just ignore it if you don't want to use it.

Once in a while I'll, for example, accidentally push instead of pull some crucial block and being able to undo makes the game flow much better than having to restart everything.

Yeah, sometimes you don't fully think something through, pull a block and the level collapses in a way you didn't expect, undo and pull the next block over out to fix it much more seamlessly. You get a score hit for using it so it's not like the game encourages it, and the babel levels don't let you undo either.

Kambing said:
Obviously there's everything is tied up and there's no real room for a direct sequel, but I think they mentioned that Catherine was a big release for them. The article makes it sound like they want to make it a big franchise in terms of future iterations, but I think someone said that was a mistranslation and more that they hope this game gets the type of sales that a big franchise would receive.

Between this and the block puzzles in Nocturne, there is certain a mad genius on staff who loves designing more puzzles, so I'm sure if they let him go wild he could certainly make a billion more.

If a spiritual or direct sequel to Catherine means an intimate story about actual adults with actual adult emotional problems and there are no guns, berserk-sized swords, bald space marines or lolis with eye patches, then I'm all for it.

Papercuts said:
I doubt we'll see something like this again, atleast in the same style(with the block puzzles). I REALLY hope they use this engine for more games though, it'd be a crime against humanity not to.

Persona 5 and SMT *fingers crossed*

Papercuts

iconoclast said:
Babel is hard. The section right after 100-110 steps on the first stage is pretty tough to get past.

I keep capping around 95, can't even imagine the other levels. I'm also wondering why it constantly says NEW RECORD for each line I advance every time I play, haha.

Kambing

Papercuts said:

Yeah, i would really love to seen an RPG made using this engine. It would be GLORIOUS.

meltingparappa said:
Obviously there's everything is tied up and there's no real room for a direct sequel, but I think they mentioned that Catherine was a big release for them. The article makes it sound like they want to make it a big franchise in terms of future iterations, but I think someone said that was a mistranslation and more that they hope this game gets the type of sales that a big franchise would receive.

Between this and the block puzzles in Nocturne, there is certain a mad genius on staff who loves designing more puzzles, so I'm sure if they let him go wild he could certainly make a billion more.

If a spiritual or direct sequel to Catherine means an intimate story about actual adults with actual adult emotional problems and there are no guns, berserk-sized swords, bald space marines or lolis with eye patches, then I'm all for it.

Yeah a direct sequel seems unlikely, so i would not mind getting another similar themed game from them. Although, in relation to an ending in the game,
it would be cool as fuck if they built something around Catherine's true ending, with Vincent himself becoming a demon. The nether realm looked bad ass too.

LOL, when you mentioned a mad genius i totally pictured this dude in a sheep costume hacking away at his computer.

Kazzy

Papercuts said:

Wasn't it mentioned sometime ago that this was a 'test' of sorts so that Atlus could flex their muscles with this engine in preparation for the next Persona game?

I'm sure it was in an interview.

Papercuts said:

I love the game, block puzzles and all, but I'd flip for a Catherine spiritual sequel that took the nightmares in a different direction like a platformer or a Zelda style action adventure, either of which would retain the creepy atmosphere and crazy bosses.

cj_iwakura

This pretty much was the test of their HD engine, and they've already confirmed P5's in the works. TGS? Here's hoping.

Also, Catherine being a franchise of sorts would be neat, but I don't know how they'd do it. Maybe from the female perspective or something.

Just started stage 9, solved all the problems, and all the drink trivia. 10 songs to the Jukebox!

Muladhara, Svadhisthana, Inherent Will, Memories of the City... good stuff.

Wow, P3P's OP is here too(Soul Phrase).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda funny I assumed that
Catherine was not real and she was a demon
before the game was out and it was actually true!

Kambing said:
Although, in relation to an ending in the game,
it would be cool as fuck if they built something around Catherine's true ending, with Vincent himself becoming a demon.
Someone should absolutely add that character to that (apparently unsearchable*) awesome mugen-style SMT fighting game character selection screen mockup.

...and then make that game.

*Here is a consolation after 10 full minutes of searching with no avail:
MugenRaidou01.png

Papercuts

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Wasn't it mentioned sometime ago that this was a 'test' of sorts so that Atlus could flex their muscles with this engine in preparation for the next Persona game?

I'm sure it was in an interview.

I pretty much avoided everything about this game beyond the initial trailers, so I'm not sure. Hope so, though!

Net_Wrecker said:
I love the game, block puzzles and all, but I'd flip for a Catherine spiritual sequel that took the nightmares in a different direction like a platformer or a Zelda style action adventure, either of which would retain the creepy atmosphere and crazy bosses.

Yeah, that's true. The ending also mentions
how the block puzzles were a metaphor of sorts, so they could definitely do another gameplay style that relates to another character.

cj_iwakura

meltingparappa said:
Someone should absolutely add that character to that (apparently unsearchable*) awesome mugen-style SMT fighting game character selection screen mockup.

MugenRaidou01.png

Raidou would murder him.

Nice touch with Gotou in the background.

Also, I have a feeling this takes place a good deal in the future. One of the later cutscenes shows a timer on the street that tells when the rain's going to stop. A sign in the bar says '2060 wheels', but could it be that far ahead?

Kazzy

Papercuts said:
I pretty much avoided everything about this game beyond the initial trailers, so I'm not sure. Hope so, though!

Same here, actually as I'm writing this I'm still waiting for my import copy to arrive, so its a bad idea for me to be lurking around here!

Must resist.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuu said:
Will I be able to play Rapunzel nonstop at some point or will it always be limited to the amount of credits you get per night? Or is it possible already and I'm just missing something?

I know I could just check a FAQ but I have bad history with looking for light info and being hit with spoilers.
(I took the risk of checking a wiki so I'm answering myself for anyone who may also be wondering about this and is jumping on the thread now.)

After you beat the game you get a 'free play' mode where you can play for an unlimited time. Sweet.

Kambing

meltingparappa said:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/ultimeciaffb_2/z_Mugen/MugenRaidou01.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

DUDE, that would be so epic. His design looked really bad-ass too!

[QUOTE=cj_iwakura]
[B]Also, I have a feeling this takes place a good deal in the future.[/B] One of the later cutscenes shows a timer on the street that tells when the rain's going to stop. A sign in the bar says '2060 wheels', but could it be that far ahead?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i also think it takes in the future because some couples were talking in the bar about going on a space trip for $50,000. This game man, soooogood.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm pretty much done with this game. Even on easy, the game is frustratingly hard. I'm on 6-3, and I have pretty much no desire to play any more. I love the story. That's the really unfortunate part. I really love the story, and I really really wish the block puzzles were not in the game. If it was just the conversation stuff, this game would be brilliant.

In fact, if it was the exact same game, but the nightmare portions were an RPG, I would probably adore this game. I've always disliked block puzzles, but thought I could endure it for a good story. Too bad that even on easy, the puzzles are so god damn obtuse (and timed!) that all it leaves me with is an urge to break the disc in half and throw it out of my window.

I'm probably going to sell the game this weekend. I've had enough of it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
thetrin said:
I'm pretty much done with this game. Even on easy, the game is frustratingly hard. I'm on 6-3, and I have pretty much no desire to play any more. I love the story. That's the really unfortunate part. I really love the story, and I really really wish the block puzzles were not in the game. If it was just the conversation stuff, this game would be brilliant.

For the sake of getting through the story, just youtube some of the solutions.

While I am loving the game, I have had to do that a couple times now >.>

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zerokku said:
For the sake of getting through the story, just youtube some of the solutions.

While I am loving the game, I have had to do that a couple times now >.>
I'm youtubing it, and still don't even understand how they figured it out. I'm youtubing entire levels now. At this point I'm not even playing the game. I don't even understand why I'm not just youtubing the story instead and selling this game.

Kambing

thetrin said:

If you are frustrated, i think you should try looking at this video: Catherine 6-3

I am sure it will help you, because i used the video to get some gold trophy and the guy playing is such a beast. He can finish a level in like 3 minutes. If you follow his moves it might take at most 10 minutes. On the note of 6-3, if i am not mistaken, it is one of the hardest levels in the game, so perhaps stick to it.

Hopefully with this you will at least be able to progress with the story.

thetrin

Kambing said:
If you are frustrated, i think you should try looking at this video: Catherine 6-3

I am sure it will help you, because i used the video to get some gold trophy and the guy playing is such a beast. He can finish a level in like 3 minutes. If you follow his moves it might take at most 10 minutes. On the note of 6-3, if i am not mistaken, it is one of the hardest levels in the game, so perhaps stick to it.

Hopefully with this you will at least be able to progress with the story.
Is it really? I've been able to do all the other levels without any help, but 6-3 is so insanely obstuse, I don't even understand how the designers came up with it.

thetrin

I honestly just wish this game was an RPG attached to the rest of the game, not obtuse gothic block puzzles created for spacial savants.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
thetrin said:
I'm youtubing it, and still don't even understand how they figured it out. I'm youtubing entire levels now. At this point I'm not even playing the game. I don't even understand why I'm not just youtubing the story instead and selling this game.
I feel bad for you. :(

thetrin said:
I honestly just wish this game was an RPG attached to the rest of the game, not obtuse gothic block puzzles created for spacial savants.

I feel like having a combat-oriented anything attached to this kind of game would sorta clash with the intimacy of the story. Having it be dreams where you run away from a falling doom fits pretty thematically. That and I am one of those spacial savants who looooove block puzzles, haha.

Still, I sorta agree - I can't wait to see what Atlus does with their next RPG on this wizard of a Gamebryo dealie.

Kambing

thetrin said:
Is it really? I've been able to do all the other levels without any help, but 6-3 is so insanely obstuse, I don't even understand how the designers came up with it.

Yeah, i have gone through the game twice now, and like BigJiantRobut mentioned, i remember a level on stage 6 being rage inducing hard lol. Pretty sure it was 6-3. With the video i linked, just follow what he does every 5 seconds.

1. Watch video for 5 seconds. Pause.
2. Mimic the 5 seconds. Pause the game. Continue with video. Repeat.
3. ???
4. Profit

Had to do it once, lol

thetrin said:

Persona 5 bro! But damn, i need to play some Persona games. I have not played any Persona game -_-. Looks like i may enjoy them. Hopefully they release a re-mastered version for the PS3.

Picked it up yesterday. After reading some impressions, I went for Easy difficulty at first. I still found it satisfyingly difficult. I didn't have any real problems until the boss encounter in the sixth level, where I ended up busting out the Very Easy mode, which is quite the considerable difference. Makes the game an absolute cakewalk.

There's also a few niggling issues I have with the game as well. The Stray Sheep intermissions could have been a bit more fleshed out. It seems like they really just focused on production values within the bar scenes rather than actual content. And, while the puzzle portion of the game is extraordinary, the controls could use a bit more... finesse. I was using a 360 pad though, so that could be the source of my control problem. Regardless, it was pretty infuriating at times to send Vincent in one direction and have him go in the opposite.

That said, the story is the main attraction here, and while it does seem diluted and barebones in terms of character development at times, it does give off a very unsettling feel for most of it. The impression that I have so far is that it seems more focused on thematic exploration rather than character development anyways.

Regardless, I'm liking the game so far. Very solid.

thetrin

BigJiantRobut said:
I feel like having a combat-oriented anything attached to this kind of game would sorta clash with the intimacy of the story. Having it be dreams where you run away from a falling doom fits pretty thematically. That and I am one of those spacial savants who looooove block puzzles, haha.

Still, I sorta agree - I can't wait to see what Atlus does with their next RPG on this wizard of a Gamebryo dealie.
I do agree it would thematically clash, but it doesn't mean you can't have an RPG where your abiities are not used to attack and kill your enemies, but avoid and evade them.

Hell, making this game a stealth action game would have made sense.

Anyway, I finished 6-3. On to the oh-so-fun boss portion. I'm just hoping this is quick so I can get back to the story aka the fun part.

The game is gorgeous, it hits its stride in conversation, and is basically absolutely lovable during the day sections. The nightmare sections make me want to murder the designers.

I might just switch to very easy. Even easy is frustrating.

cj_iwakura

Just reached the final level, I'm at
9-2.

Masterful trolling, Mutton. The dub delivers.

Now. Come to daddy!

Just a bartender? I may not look it, but I AM A GOD.

Does this game take place in Japan or America? I'm not sure how much is localized - the locations look American but the people have very Japanese mannerisms in cutscenes (sitting on floor at low tables, etc) but Vincent remarks that
Catherine/Katherine is white
at one point. Is it a weird Japan-ish world where people have English sounding names, or is it supposed to be America with some Japanchronisms in there? No ending spoilers, in case it factors in.

cj_iwakura said:

Thank you! <3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding the endings, how do I get the
Just Like Old Times trophy
?

Kusagari

I finally beat it just now. I ended up with the
Good Freedom ending somehow. Kind of wish I had gotten one of the girls endings my first time lol

ULTROS!

cj_iwakura said:
That's the Katherine/Lover 'Good' Ending.

Actually...

That's the normal ending. Starting a New Life is the True Lover/Good Katherine ending. I'm the Lawful side, so will the 4 finale questions change the ending to Just Like Old Times?

cj_iwakura said:
It takes place in America. The only one who might be of Japanese-descent is Jonathan, but that's just speculation.

Cool, I figured as much.

I guess that means Vincent was on a business trip in P3P? :p

Top Bottom