• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

cj_iwakura said:
I love the puzzles and all but jeeeez, I imagine it still takes seven-ish hours per run (on easy).

I'm hoping people will slowly do youtube uploads of the various endings.

I can see how many people would be disappointed that the block puzzles aren't as integrated with the visual novel side (like how Persona 4 perfected the dungeon-crawling/social-link integration), but MY GOD, someone at Atlus is a block puzzle fiend.

I read on a faq (I think yours, no less) that Rapunzel has
stage. CRIPES, it was getting super difficult for me by stage seven.

On a side note, this game has a pretty amazing loading screen, by load screen standards at least.

cj_iwakura said:
You can easily get all the endings in three runs of the game. The final decisions determine which of the alignment specific endings you get. So do a Law path, save at the end, and do the final stage three different ways, and repeat for Neutral and Chaos.
Thanks.

It seems I lucked out and have a save from the beginning of the end still. I thought I saved over it. Lucky, lucky.

Also, is there a gallery or anything that unlocks so you can watch the different endings whenever you want? I don't see anything after one playthrough so I'm assuming not.

From a guy who cares little for anime or dating games, I have to say, Catherine itself is pretty fun and interesting. Story is nice, the puzzle/Nightmare games are real head scratchers. Think of a mix between Q*Bert and Intelligent Qube. Yea, there's a "dating" game in there. The hero, Vincent, is saddled with the burden of being torn between two insanely hot women. First World Problems, right?

Though I think I know how the story is gonna end. Hot chick. Sex. Dreams. That's a pretty specific kind of monster.

ToHrU AdAcHi

Neo Member
Just finished it last night. My ending kinda blew, but that's what I get for treading the middle ground for most of the game. I can't wait to start up another playthrough

Also, no matter how well I seem to do on a puzzle/boss event, I always seem to get bronze.

cj_iwakura

You need to get coins in addition to maintaining a max/high chain.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to
save the NPCs
all in one game?

Time's so limited in the bar, it seems impossible to focus on everyone.

cj_iwakura said:
save the NPCs
all in one game?

There's an achievement for doing that, so unless it carries over between playthroughs I would say yes. I only missed Morgan on my first run, so I'll try to get them all in my next playthrough.

Also, if you get a gold on the final stage, can you skip past it in subsequent runs? I think I read that you can skip any stage you get golds on, but I'm not sure.

Kambing

Holy shit!

I just beat the game, what a fucking ride. But dude, even on easy this game was damnnnn hard. But it's one of my favorite games of this gen.

cj_iwakura said:
You can easily get all the endings in three runs of the game. The final decisions determine which of the alignment specific endings you get. So do a Law path, save at the end, and do the final stage three different ways, and repeat for Neutral and Chaos.

I screwed up on the saves for a Katherine run, i only have one save =(. Just wasted my chance to see the two other endings. Vadernoooooooooooo.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
cj_iwakura said:
You need to get coins in addition to maintaining a max/high chain.

save the NPCs
all in one game?

It is, I just got all of them on my first run.

There's limited time but the actual progression of them leaving is one by one, so you can get them all in a certain order.

Yuterald

Man, 6-2 on Normal is driving me nuts. I rarely ever get stumped in a game! And this isn't some optional challenge or anything like that, it's just proceeding with the game! I have Stages 1, 2, 3, & 4 with Golds on Normal and I can't even beat this fucking level! I thought I had mechanics down pretty well, but I guess I didn't.

Yuterald said:
Man, 6-2 on Normal is driving me nuts. I rarely ever get stumped in a game! And this isn't some optional challenge or anything like that, it's just proceeding with the game! I have Stages 1, 2, 3, & 4 with Golds on Normal and I can't even beat this fucking level! I thought I had mechanics down pretty well, but I guess I didn't.

Its stuff like that that makes me glad Im playing on Easy....except I just reached Stage 5 and Im kinda scared shitless for 6..

Papercuts

6 is probably going to be really hard either way. 6-3 was a pretty huge difficulty leap, 7 in general was much easier for me.

The_Monk

Sorry if this was asked, but is there a way to choose a Level Difficulty?

I heard the game is hard, but is it hard Demon's Souls hard or hard even on something like Easy mode?

If you can, please answer. Thank you very much.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yuterald said:
Ditto, dude. Ditto:

mattp

The_Monk said:
Sorry if this was asked, but is there a way to choose a Level Difficulty?

I heard the game is hard, but is it hard Demon's Souls hard or hard even on something like Easy mode?

If you can, please answer. Thank you very much.
easy, medium, hard

iconoclast said:
Also, if you get a gold on the final stage, can you skip past it in subsequent runs? I think I read that you can skip any stage you get golds on, but I'm not sure.
That's what the pause screen says, so it must be true.

I'm going to make save files for before the last stage for every ending since apparently there's no gallery or anything.

Erekiddo

I'm not sure why, but I'm not particularly fond how the game is treated like a soap opera.

Seeing that banner in the top left corner constantly bugs me.

Other than that, having a blast so far.

Duffyside

Banned
So I finally died a few times on Level 3's "boss." Where do you get retries from? What happens if you run out? I hope you just go back to a save slot and you're all good, having all your retries again, right? If that is the case, seems sort of pointless to have a limited number of retries at all...

Cheska

Are there FAQ's/video guides for this available? If 6-3 is really as bad as everyone says, I'd like to salvage my hair and be able to consult something if I end up getting stuck.

Duffyside

Banned
Wow, I'm really impressed with how tempting the developers are making Catherine. I'm the most faithful person in the world but it's not as cut-and-dry as I thought it would be (though maybe I'm tempted because I never picked Katherine). When every text from Katherine is received with a depressing sigh, and Catherine's are jubilent and excited... when one is nagging you, wanting to control your life and the other just wants to have fun... gnnngghhh!

Too bad the "twist" is so obvious (or is it? I hope it isn't), otherwise who knows how I would play.

SkylineRKR

Game is brutal, but I love it. Only got a few silvers on Normal so far, I must suck badly.

I'm really hooked to the story, its more interesting to me than the gameplay. Played it for 5 hours straight, just eager to see how this will unfold. And Catherine is completely tempting me too. Because she's playful, willing... She's more like what a young guy wants.

Its funny, because I actually got involved with a woman just 2 days ago. Its not an official relationship yet, but I hope this game isn't some sort of bad omen to me :)

But this is a great, great game.

duffyside said:
So I finally died a few times on Level 3's "boss." Where do you get retries from? What happens if you run out? I hope you just go back to a save slot and you're all good, having all your retries again, right? If that is the case, seems sort of pointless to have a limited number of retries at all...

If you run out, you have to start over from the elevator place (assuming you saved there) with the default amount of continues, so you'll just lose your checkpoint (and items?).

Its a bit pointless indeed.

Papercuts

They must have added a ton of pillows to normal or something because I don't find the lives system to be bad at all, it really gives them like candy. I'm up to 87 lives at the last part now.

Yuterald

Nevermind, I was on 6-3, not 6-2! 6-3 is RIDICULOUS on Normal. I seriously had a moment where I thought I was never going to be able to beat the game. I don't know how I finished it, but I did some how. It was sloppy Bronze Trophies all across the board though. Seriously, 100% completing this game can go fuck itself for awhile, lol!

cj_iwakura

ErasureAcer said:
up to 7-2 on normal. game is just as easy as easy i think. dying the same amount.

That's because US Normal was made easier than JP's.

Wow, I do believe Hard has new tips that aren't in Normal.

Duffyside

Banned
Thanks for answering my questions, gentlepersons. I have another one for GAF, if you would be so kind: what happens if you beat Rapunzel? Not that I stand a chance without cheating, but just wondering if I should even bother doing it every night at the bar (stop drinking, Vince, you dumbass!) or if I should just ignore it until the eventual youtube cheat arrives.

Picked up the PS3 LE from Fry's today for $60.

Even if I don't end up liking the game, I hope it sends the message that non-sequels without guns can still do pretty okay.

cj_iwakura

6-3 Hard is not what I expected.

It's a bunch of cross formations, except the blocks fall EXTREMELY fast.

And there's power ups everywhere. Trippy stuff.

And, new favorite line.

How do you make SHEEP JUICE?

Two blocks. One sheep.

WOOOOOLLL!!!

anddo0

The end of night three made me rage at a game for the first time in a long while...NO Atlus, you suck it, for throwing in that cheap mechanic. I didn't like that bit at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
anddo0 said:
The end of night three made me rage at a game for the first time in a long while...NO Atlus, you suck it, for throwing in that cheap mechanic. I didn't like that bit at all.

I raged, but it wasn't exactly cheap. All you had to do was dodge the red platforms.

Moofers

LOL @ GiantBomb's review. If it makes you guys feel any better, Joystiq gave it a 4.5 out of 5.

I've already got the regular edition for PS3, but tomorrow I'm getting the deluxe for 360 as well. I am in love with this game and I want to throw my money at it. :)

Grisby

Crewnh said:

Honestly, I didn't think he'd review it highly considering the podcast this week. Well, this is definitely a different type of game and I could see how its not for everyone.

Still, it stinks that people might pass on it because of the review, especially when it might be the breath of fresh air they've been waiting for.

Amir0x

Banned
GiantBomb always sucks. For everything.

Why would it make you feel better just 'cause a review is bad or good? Who cares. Judge for yerself :p

The game is just bizarre. The choice system is so painfully obvious, and even if it wasn't already obvious, the game makes it explicitly clear what the game thinks of a choice even if the choice SHOULD be ambiguous.

And the gameplay is just... I don't know if it'll hold up over 15 hours or however long this game is. It's ok, but as a puzzler I've played much better and as an action game (if you can stretch it to call it that... I dunno) I've played infinitely better.

I just don't know where this fits right now in my mood. Still considering it with time.

Giolon

Crewnh said:

Harsh, but I think that's pretty fair. On a blind guess, I'd have expected a 3/5 from those guys.

I have to say though, as much as I am enjoying the game, I don't feel it's anywhere near the 9/10 quality that many review sites are giving it. I think even an 8 is generous. I feel like the review press is so glad to see something refreshingly original, that they're willing to overlook any awkwardness or fumbles on its part.

Don't get me wrong, I love the shit out of a lot of aspects of this game (Soejima's artwork is makes sweet love to my eyeballs, and the soundtrack is definitely ear candy) - but as a purely enjoyable gaming experience? I'm not quite sure it's there.

mileS

Quite a few people got into Persona 4 (and Atlus games in general) from the Giant Bomb endurance run. I can see many of these people skipping this game because of that review.

Top Bottom