• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

jimmyhowlett said:
Finally beat this game! Five months of my life I'll never get back. It was such a hard (but fun) game. Last time I'll ever play a game on normal. I don't understand how you guys are beating this game so fast. Didn't the US version just come out this week?

five months? holy hell. took me 18 hours first go through on easy, even less on normal 2nd playthrough.

anyone know what the secret trophies are, the requirements?

ErasureAcer said:
five months? holy hell. took me 18 hours first go through on easy, even less on normal 2nd playthrough.

I think most of them are for endings.

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
ErasureAcer said:
five months? holy hell. took me 18 hours first go through.

Haha well it wasn't 5 months straight. It was about 22 or 23 hours, but it was stretched over 5 months because there was a lot of rage quitting. I guess people have a higher endurance for all that death than I. There was so much dying. So much.
I'm glad to hear it took someone else more than 10 hours. I kept hearing it was an 8 hour game, and i was confused why it was taking me so long.

So yeah, did some reading and I guess
Erica was trans all along. Damn son, I was already pretty impressed with Naoto's gender-identity portrayal in Persona 4 even if it was a tad exploit-y. You go Atlus!

Kusagari

It took me 12 hours to beat it on easy. I thought the whole thing was pretty easy besides a few select levels on chapters 6 and 7.

I can't imagine how bad it gets on normal and hard though.

I haven't been following this thread since I don't want to know anymore about the game than I do already before playing it.

But. Did anyone say they got their deluxe edition from amazon.ca? Because yesterday was the day they were supposed to ship it but now its not even showing anything at all other than "not yet shipped".

Adr1an

Lostconfused said:
I haven't been following this thread since I don't want to know anymore about the game than I do already before playing it.

But. Did anyone say they got their deluxe edition from amazon.ca? Because yesterday was the day they were supposed to ship it but now its not even showing anything at all other than "not yet shipped".

Well i ordered the regular edition from Amazon.ca and mine still hasn't shipped yet either, even though it was supposed to ship on friday.

I actually got an email from them this morning saying they are still trying to obtain my order, after seeing that i just decided to just cancel the order and bought it off ebay instead.

BigJiantRobut said:
So yeah, did some reading and I guess
Erica was trans all along. Damn son, I was already pretty impressed with Naoto's gender-identity portrayal in Persona 4 even if it was a tad exploit-y. You go Atlus!
To have a character like that, and to treat it with respect
and not play it for laughs or a crying-game "gross out" twist (Toby whines but certainly reacts better than Yousuke in Persona 4) is absolutely amazing in an era where 99% of videogame characters are the same handful of archetypes, mostly from the movie "Aliens".

I look forward to the praise that "Extra Credits" will eventually bestow upon them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding Catherine's cellphone pictures:

Did anyone notice the nurse outfit turning into a red dominatrix outfit when one flips the picture slide?

Fixed1979

BlackPhoenix23 said:
Well i ordered the regular edition from Amazon.ca and mine still hasn't shipped yet either, even though it was supposed to ship on friday.

I actually got an email from them this morning saying they are still trying to obtain my order, after seeing that i just decided to just cancel the order and bought it off ebay instead.

Received the same e-mail last night. I'll take a quick swing by Eb to see if they have it, if not I'll let it ride with Amazon. Pretty disappointing that .ca is nowhere close to it's .com counterpart regarding game shipping.

burgerdog

Is the game really 20 hours long? I'm at 5-2 and have 5 hours on the clock. Wonder if I'm missing something. I'm talking to every one until their chatbox grays out, though.

burgerdog said:
Is the game really 20 hours long? I'm at 5-2 and have 5 hours on the clock. Wonder if I'm missing something. I'm talking to every one until their chatbox grays out, though.
You either have a ways to go, or this is the point in your life where you realize you're a puzzle genius.

I beat it in 12, on easy. This isn't an rpg, afterall.

Finally beat the first stage of Babel. It took me quite a few hours to complete, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the next 3 stages. :S

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
burgerdog said:

You can do it under 10 hours. It takes longer if you play Rapunzel + flesh-out the interactions in the bar.

kairu

Is it just me or is does Vincent seem a lot like Spike Spiegel sans backbone/confidence? Even the way he walks in the game is very similar. Also, in the Cowboy Bebop movie, wasn't the main bad guy's name Vincent?!

cj_iwakura

bababouille said:
So is Rapunzel playable outside of Golden Theater? Used all credits on my first playthrough and only got up to stage 7..

In NG+, you get unlimited credits. You'll need them. Rapunzel is worse than anything on Hard mode, even.

Axis Mundi is arguably nastier, but that's up to debate.

Also, regarding the true K ending:
It's nice that Mutton still continues as the bartender. K's pixie cut was a crime, though. Hair like that has to stay.

Did anyone catch the DMX quote in the final chapter? Talk about random.

"You're about to make me lose my cool up in here!"

george_us

thetrin said:
I'm pretty much done with this game. Even on easy, the game is frustratingly hard. I'm on 6-3, and I have pretty much no desire to play any more. I love the story. That's the really unfortunate part. I really love the story, and I really really wish the block puzzles were not in the game. If it was just the conversation stuff, this game would be brilliant.

In fact, if it was the exact same game, but the nightmare portions were an RPG, I would probably adore this game. I've always disliked block puzzles, but thought I could endure it for a good story. Too bad that even on easy, the puzzles are so god damn obtuse (and timed!) that all it leaves me with is an urge to break the disc in half and throw it out of my window.

I'm probably going to sell the game this weekend. I've had enough of it.
Pretty much my exact sentiments so far even though I just cleared the third night. The timed element is what I hate most about the game and basically turns everything into one giant trial and error fest. T

ULTROS!

Any idea
how many freedom questions should I get "wrong" to get the Nighty Night
ending?

C-Jo

Fixed1979 said:
Received the same e-mail last night. I'll take a quick swing by Eb to see if they have it, if not I'll let it ride with Amazon. Pretty disappointing that .ca is nowhere close to it's .com counterpart regarding game shipping.
I'm so choked about this crap. I pre-ordered it 2 months ago and they still can't manage to get me a copy.

Yuterald

So, I finished the game last night on Normal with about 15 hours clocked. I have Gold Trophies for Stages 1 through 4 and Bronzes for the rest. The plot twist was mega cool!
The Boss weeding out men who hesitate to settle down and have a family are an impediment to the population growth, so ridiculous!
. I think I got the Bad Lover ending so I may boot up my save file and see if I can get a second ending if I choose the other option at the confessional booth. I actually really dug the plot in the end, it's definitely an SMT game through and through.

I was really enjoying the game up to Stage 6. Stages 1-5 progressively got more challenging and it seemed balanced and fair. Stage 6 was such a huge difficulty spike. I raged so many times on various sub levels in Stage 6 & 7. Maybe on a replay I'll have a better grasp of them, but for now, the game is too exhausting to think about mastering and going for that 100%. The final boss, however, the way it looked, really did it for me because I have a thing in games for
giant face bosses, lol!
. So, most of the problems I had with this game are forgiven. It's not my favorite game ever or anything, but it's definitely a quirky little gem I'll remember as the years go on.

Now that this game is out of the way, R&D needs to make a REAL SMT game. Give me something along the lines of Nocturne or DDS please on this engine!

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
kairu said:
Is it just me or is does Vincent seem a lot like Spike Spiegel sans backbone/confidence? Even the way he walks in the game is very similar. Also, in the Cowboy Bebop movie, wasn't the main bad guy's name Vincent?!

Well, in the Japanese version, they have the same voice actor.

meltingparappa said:
To have a character like that, and to treat it with respect
and not play it for laughs or a crying-game "gross out" twist (Toby whines but certainly reacts better than Yousuke in Persona 4) is absolutely amazing in an era where 99% of videogame characters are the same handful of archetypes, mostly from the movie "Aliens".

I thought it was a pretty fantastic presentation through and through. I was already chuffed with
Persona 4's inclusion of gender/sexuality issues. The writing for Erica is pretty fantastic - it isn't panderingly positive or exploitative, nor, like you say, is it played for gross-out humor or wackiness. Vincent & co treat her like any other person, at most poking a little fun at her and Toby, which only made it feel more natural and realistic. Even Toby, the character with the most negative reaction, didn't seem to mind too much. He seemed more upset that she didn't tell him about it rather than anything else.

cj_iwakura said:
Also, regarding the true K ending:
It's nice that Mutton still continues as the bartender. K's pixie cut was a crime, though. Hair like that has to stay.

Yeah, and no
glasses either!
:(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Golded the first 5 stages, it's funny how incredibly short all of these levels feel after you get used to the rest of the game. 6 is going to be a rough one, though.

Cactus

Banned
Papercuts said:
Golded the first 5 stages, it's funny how incredibly short all of these levels feel after you get used to the rest of the game. 6 is going to be a rough one, though.
Yeah, it's funny because I didn't feel like I was getting better at the game, but going through for the second time was a breeze. The only level that really gave me trouble the second time through was 9-3

So I had
Morgan die on me, missing out on that achievement.

If
I play the game again, do I have to do all the puzzles again? I just want to do the story...

Eusis

Adam Blade said:
If
I play the game again, do I have to do all the puzzles again? I just want to do the story...
Unless
you got gold for all of the puzzles, yes, you'll need to replay them. You could however replay them from the cellphone, probably best from the final night if you still have a save there, and get the gold awards so you can skip them.

CatPee

george_us said:
Pretty much my exact sentiments so far even though I just cleared the third night. The timed element is what I hate most about the game and basically turns everything into one giant trial and error fest. T

Play on Very Easy then(highlight Golden Theater at the main menu and hold Select until you hear a chime). Then you'll be able to enjoy the god tier story.

Now if you're still raging on Very Easy, then there's no hope for you.

Cheska

Made it to 7-3, and I still think 5-3 was the most frustrating and difficult stage for me.

Also, I can't stop picturing Akihiko every time Orlando talks. That voice, it's haunts me!

Eusis said:
Unless
you got gold for all of the puzzles, yes, you'll need to replay them. You could however replay them from the cellphone, probably best from the final night if you still have a save there, and get the gold awards so you can skip them.

Thanks!

Cheska said:
Made it to 7-3, and I still think 5-3 was the most frustrating and difficult stage for me.

Also, I can't stop picturing Akihiko every time Orlando talks. That voice, it's haunts me!

He also played a character named Vincent in a show called Ergo Proxy, which threw me for a loop. Also...

Darksiders-Wrath-of-War-Impressions.jpg

Eusis said:
Unless

Wait, you can
skip puzzles in NG+ once you've golded them?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yah, someone finally removed the extra | from the thread title.

Anyways, I hit a bit of a rough patch with this game, but I pulled through and it felt good. I really do enjoy the puzzles, even if they can be frustrating (for the wrong reasons).

The daytime levels are so good, though. I actually like the story! So far I'm trying to deal with choices honestly instead of going for a specific ending, but it looks like I'm leaning heavily towards chaotic.

Reveirg

I'm beginning Day 6 and still loving the game...

I'm looking forward to playing Persona 4 even more now (my copy arrived at the same time as Catherine!). I never finished Persona 3 (got bored, detailed explanations in Persona 5 thread...) but people have been saying the things I didn't like about 3 were pretty much ruled out in 4.

I'm also really looking forward to the team announcing their next HD game!

Grisby

Should only have a few more stages to go. Gonna try and beat it tonight.

Feels really good to solve one of these levels, even if I am on Easy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, chapter 4 was extremely short and easy compared to 3. It was over before I knew it.
Giant baby was disturbing, though.

aceface

Does anyone know if the in game cutscenes change based on your answers? Like in some scenes the little meter comes up and the little blue angel flies around...would those scenes have changed if I'd given more "red"answers?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
aceface said:
Does anyone know if the in game cutscenes change based on your answers? Like in some scenes the little meter comes up and the little blue angel flies around...would those scenes have changed if I'd given more "red"answers?

Yeah, I believe that when your meter pops up like that during a cutscene, it's being altered based on your chaos/order level. I keep seeing the little red devil, personally.

Thoraxes

I'm kind of glad I only did it on normal for my first playthrough. Game is tough, and I finished it in about 20 hours, fleshing out my interactions in the bar and playing lot's of Rapunzel.

For my hard runthrough, I decided i'm going to skip most of the backstory and character interactions now that i've done them.

aceface

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I believe that when your meter pops up like that during a cutscene, it's being altered based on your chaos/order level. I keep seeing the little red devil, personally.

Maybe that's why Vincent seems like such a pussy to me. I gotta start making more hard-ass decisions!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
aceface said:
Maybe that's why Vincent seems like such a pussy to me. I gotta start making more hard-ass decisions!

On the flip side, he's starting to act like a total dick in my game. I'm at the bar after finishing the chapter 4 puzzle, and he told Erica
to go away and do her job when she offered to have a drink with him. I wanted her to stay, dammit. Vince was also a total ass to the bartender in the last chapter.
I'm assuming this is due to my chaotic decisions.

Yuripaw

Banned
Snuggler said:
On the flip side, he's starting to act like a total dick in my game. I'm at the bar after finishing the chapter 4 puzzle, and he told Erica
to go away and do her job when she offered to have a drink with him. I wanted her to stay, dammit. Vince was also a total ass to the bartender in the last chapter.
I'm assuming this is due to my chaotic decisions.

There's good reason he doesn't really care to spend time with Erica...

Top Bottom