• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Well that was fun. I dont know how the game gets so high marks on visuals. The Animu cutscenes were great but could have had more detail.

Fun ending with Katherine path.

They should have had more detail with Toby for the ending, I was kind of confused.

PewPewK

Dedication Through Light said:
Just how many spheres are in the Final Stage?! Wow. Ive been ready for the game to end since
Vincent and Katherine broke up
And is Atlus just obsessed with the occult?!

6 spheres if I remember correctly.

MBison

What the heck is with Amazon and this item. I saw someone else post that Amazon was screwing up shipping of this. And Amazon hasn't shipped my Love is Over edition and I keep emailing them and they say, oh it will ship today and it doesn't.

Adam Blade said:
This game, puzzle gameplay aside, is so awesome... :O~~~

Everything worked for me. It's definitely in my top games of the year. I'm not the type of guy who usually wants to go back and get the other endings to games, but I think I will with Catherine.

I think these stack up as my top 5 games of the year so far. Not in any order yet:

Catherine
Alice: Madness Returns
Portal 2
Dead Space 2
Dead or Alive: Dimensions

There are plenty of contenders later this year to take some of these games out but I expect Catherine, Alice and Portal 2 will remain in my top 10.

Please bring on Persona 5 next! I'll take Vita or PS3.

Yeah, I loved the puzzle style. Like I've said before, it's both unique and also incredibly fitting for the game. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

cj_iwakura

Just realized something amusing about Morning 2. (Ending spoilers)

Catherine says she has a dentist appointment.

I bet she did, with Steve.

DoctorWho said:
Please bring on Persona 5 next! I'll take Vita or PS3.

If they do...then I hope they spend some more time and resources on anime cutscenes. Otherwise if it is true that this game was a test of their capabilities on next gen hardware, then they have something great on their hands, the next Persona and SMT need to come fast.

I'd love for the next Persona to be multi-platform...

Ending spoilers:
Katherine normal ending was poignant... I hope the true ending is even better!

Kambing

Grisby said:
You know, I think a neat little feature could have been a level editor of some sort.

Yeah! A level editor would be so good for this game. Man, i really love this game.

cj_iwakura said:

Holy shit, I remember that part! Damnnnnnnn.

SkylineRKR

I just beat the game and the ending I got was the
True Cheater ending.

The hardest stages for me are 5-3, 6-3, and 9-5 because of all the bullshit going on.

Tain

Just beat this on Normal juuust about without Undos or jump items. Awesome game. Got what has to be the best ending
true cheater, fuck yeah

The heart of the game is the excellent block action. The in-between is like the simulation part of the original Actraiser. Nice frosting, but not the focus.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Is it important to save up pillows? I feel like having 6-7 pillows is more than enough (only on nightmare 3) as long as you simply reload from the last save. Will there be levels later on where I won't get a chance to just reload and start a few minutes earlier? Or, is there any other reason to have lots of pillows?

ProudClod said:
Is it important to save up pillows? I feel like having 6-7 pillows is more than enough (only on nightmare 3) as long as you simply reload from the last save. Will there be levels later on where I won't get a chance to just reload and start a few minutes earlier? Or, is there any other reason to have lots of pillows?

Game gets pretty tough, but you'll have like 40+ pillows in no time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pillows are never an issue, even on the harder levels you can always get a pillow more than you could possibly die. Each gives two lives, so getting stuck on a part has you making out with a bunch of lives.

Night 5 beat. Actually wasn't as bad as 4 for me. Though I did spend like 40 minutes on 5-2 even though I knew exactly what to do. Just kept accidentally
sliding off because I forgot to hang.

Grisby

Well, finished! Got the
Katherine Truest ending
I think? Anyways it was pretty sweet after that scene from the previous day.

I dunno though, I like it because it felt like the tale was pretty simply wrapped up but I also wanted something a little more crazy to happen. Still, a good ending.

edit- A big lol at the
wedding pics. Love the sheep pushing the cake blocks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah I have around 80 pillows at the moment, lol. Kept having trouble and dying at some past stage and I ended up unintentionally farming like crazy due to how a pillow was placed.

6-3 wasn't as bad as I expected (on normal). I mean, I did have to retry a lot (and sleep on it because I had just played 2 consecutive nightmares and was burnt), but after I noticed
most of the stage allowed me to go for a more "tridimensional approach" by using the areas behind the blocks
it was very manageable. I got way more technical and it's the first stage where I made sure to remember exactly what I needed to do at each step to get the result I wanted, which made things much quicker when I died and had to redo the early parts (didn't stop me from doing a little fist pump when I got to the checkpoint anyway, haha).

6-4 was the easiest boss so far for me too, it's nice to feel you're getting better at the game (the stage itself was stilll basic though). Also, it's so satisfying when you get to the top and the boss dies to the light because all their screaming is fucking annoying (despite that, I'm happy this game doesn't make me rage at all. I'm really enjoying all the puzzles throughout no matter how brutal they are).

Cactus

Banned
Grisby said:
I dunno though, I like it because it felt like the tale was pretty simply wrapped up but I also wanted something a little more crazy to happen. Still, a good ending.

If you want crazy, I recommend going for the true
Catherine
ending next. I think it's the best ending in the entire game, mostly because it's so ridiculous.

cj_iwakura

I'm going for that one out of morbid curiosity.

Also, I had around 20 continues when I finished Hard Mode, but that was only because I had pretty much mastered Normal(all Golds) before that.

By the way, far as I can tell, Normal US seems unchanged from Normal JP, ridiculous amount of continues aside and rewind aside.

Grisby

Cactus said:
Catherine
ending next. I think it's the best ending in the entire game, mostly because it's so ridiculous.

Cool, I played on easy and now I'm gonna start another game on Normal tomorrow. What carries over? Also, I thought I was supposed to unlock Rapunzel or something for free play?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cactus said:
Catherine
I tried and I got the
Katherine Bad Lover
Ending. Don't know when I'll try again. x:

Kambing

Seeing as this thread is not really viewed as much as other OT game threads here on GAF, i am starting to feel pessimistic towards how much Catherine will sell in outside of Japan... I just really hope it reaches 150k+.

How much do you guys think Catherine will sell when the sales-age thread begin popping up next month?

Cactus

Banned
Grisby said:
Cool, I played on easy and now I'm gonna start another game on Normal tomorrow. What carries over? Also, I thought I was supposed to unlock Rapunzel or something for free play?

You'll have infinite credits for Rapunzel when you start a new game.

You can also skip levels if you already achieved the gold prize on that difficulty.

InfiniteNine said:
I tried and I got the
Katherine Bad Lover
Ending. Don't know when I'll try again. x:

That was my first ending too.

If you want a specific ending but are afraid you won't get it, there are spoiler-free guidelines posted on the internet.

CatPee

Grisby said:

Rapunzel is the arcade game in the bar. Babel and Obelisk are unlocked by attaining Golds on Normal/Hard, I believe.

Cactus said:
You'll have infinite credits for Rapunzel when you start a new game.

You can also skip levels if you already achieved the gold prize on that difficulty.

Getting gold on normal applies to Easy I assume?

Eusis

Kambing said:
How much do you guys think Catherine will sell when the sales-age thread begin popping up next month?
I think we'll be lucky to hear how it did actually. Well, at least at that point, and when it comes to hard numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if someone confirmed whether or not it did fine.

Natiko

Banned
cj_iwakura said:

I remembered that part the moment you find out
Steve is a dentist.
I may or may not have been able to easily pick up on it because I marathoned through the game in two sittings.. lol

Eusis said:
I think we'll be lucky to hear how it did actually. Well, at least at that point, and when it comes to hard numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if someone confirmed whether or not it did fine.

It won't make the top 10, but I don't think it'll be too far away from it. I'm thinking the PS3 version will be around 125,000 and the Xbox 360 version around 50,000.

FateBreaker said:
It won't make the top 10, but I don't think it'll be too far away from it. I'm thinking the PS3 version will be around 125,000 and the Xbox 360 version around 50,000.

That would put it pretty close.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Played the demo and damn I can't wait till I get paid. This will be my first first rpg beyond folklore

Died riiiiight at the end of stage 2 of Babel, agh. I'm actually finding it a lot easier than stage 1, I don't think it's as easy to mess up your path.

Kinda annoyed that I got screwed two times with immovable blocks though. Too random.

Kambing

Allonym said:
Played the demo and damn I can't wait till I get paid. This will be my first first rpg beyond folklore

This isn't an RPG brah. It's more of a puzzle/story/horror/kickass game =). In fact there are no RPG elements at all. But by all means, still get the game!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
mattp said:
oh my god the fucking
ice blocks
in night 5 are ruining my life
Remember to almost always
hang and move instead of simply walking over them
, if you keep doing that they become easy to deal with.

mattp

Fuu said:
Remember to almost always
hang and move instead of simply walking over them
, if you keep doing that they become easy to deal with.
i know. i'm on the final stage now, but man. it's so hard to remember. i can't count how many times i died because my reflexes just told me to push right or left and i went flying off the side

Top Bottom