• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

george_us

I think I've come to the conclusion that the thing I hate the most in the game are the boss fights.

Just got to stage five though. The ice blocks are fucking awesome.

Eusis

Hylian7 said:
Just finished it for the first time. I'm hesitant about heading over to the spoiler thread though as that might ruin the other endings for me.

How do I tell which ending I got? If I have to guess, I would say I got the neutral one. Katherine showed up at the bar, Vincent told her about the whole illusion thing, but she still left anyway. I'm debating which ending to go for this time though. If I go for the best ending, I may just be setting myself up for disappointment when I do the "Freedom" endings. On second though I think I'll do the Freedom endings first.q
That was the worst of
Katherine's endings actually. I know roughly what happens in "Neutral" (Freedom) and it's not that.

Papercuts said:
Typically, I always talked to the old ladies, then for the people sitting at the bar on the right, then anyone in the booths, then to Justin, who tends to stay late. I always talked to Boss last since he obviously can't leave but time passes with him. Pretty sure I missed talking to Justin once and it apparently didn't matter, though if you want to make sure you don't miss anything I suppose you could save often and if you see someone leave just reload and talk to them next.

Btw, thanks for this.

So I don't get how I'm supposed to save everyone.

I thought I talked to every single person when they were in but the twins. And I just found that the cop died, and 2 otehrs I think.

cj_iwakura

demosthenes said:
So I don't get how I'm supposed to save everyone.

I thought I talked to every single person when they were in but the twins. And I just found that the cop died, and 2 otehrs I think.

You also have to encourage them in the nightmares. There's time to talk to the twins, too, at least the first dialogue. Just track in order of appearance.

Done with night 6. 6-3 was grade A bullshit. The camera fucked me up a ton of times and the lack of checkpoints made it all the more frustrating. Was really expecting to use up all 50 of my retrys, but I somehow got by with 20 left.

6-4 on the other hand was challenging in a good and insane way. It was also easy after 6-3. Only died like 5 times, though there were about 20 close calls on the try I succeeded.

On the story side of things, the
2nd call with Steve in the bathroom
really has me intrigued. Here's some speculation (may or may not be obvious):
Catherine is some kind of physical representation of a person's desires. The girl Steve was talking about indeed was the same one, but she appears different to him to adhere to his tastes. Vincent confirmed that she's his type earlier in the game, so that may lend some credibility to this theory. It's pretty clear she's connected to the Nightmares in some way, but I haven't figured that much out yet.
Again, could be obvious, but I do enjoy forming my own theories in a game like this.

An-Det

I've had #catherine up on Tweetdeck since launch, this just came in which I thought was pretty accurate: "First impressions of #Catherine: Portal and Q-Bert, as told by Stephen King.".

Reveirg

I just finished World 7.

It was a refreshing change of pace from the previous days. More brain-scratching puzzles, but more time to think! Really nice, and the story is progressing nicely...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
...And finished with the
True Lover
ending. Excellent excellent game. Dont really have the drive to play it again for other endings, but definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Off to the spoiler thread now I guess.

Zerokku said:
...And finished with the
True Lover
ending. Excellent excellent game. Dont really have the drive to play it again for other endings, but definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Off to the spoiler thread now I guess.
I'm already on my second playthrough. For different endings, save before
The questions relating to True Freedom and choose different ones on each load. Spoiler-free guide here

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
dragonlife said:
I'm already on my second playthrough. For different endings, save before
The questions relating to True Freedom and choose different ones on each load. Spoiler-free guide here

Oh I know, and even have a save sitting at
9-2
. I'm just done with block pushing for a good long while I think.

Giolon

Kagari said:
My hands, they are broken.

I noticed tonight after playing this game for approx 4 hours that I had some pretty bad RSI going on in my wrists.

I also beat the game and got the
Normal Lovers
Ending. I just went with my personal feelings for all the Q&A and didn't end up
with enough Law meter to get the True Lovers ending even though my answers matched up
according to some other message posts and looking at the Catherine Wikia walkthrough.

It's amazing how much easier the early game is when you've been through to the end. I got Gold on Chapters 3 and 4 in < 10 minutes, yet I spent hours on those originally. The
Inazume
technique really is the key to 90% of all towers in this game it seems. It's almost like cheating. Though when I was struggling through Chapter 4 originally, I'm pretty sure I came up with a ghetto-ified version of that technique on my own, though not as repeatable.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dragonlife said:
Man, I died at 99 steps on Menhir, or whatever the first stage in Babel is. Sucked soooo much.

Dying in the upper 100s is heartbreaking, takes forever to get back. There's still nobody on xbl that beat the third level, and no one is even close on the fourth.

Zerokku said:
Oh I know, and even have a save sitting at
9-2
. I'm just done with block pushing for a good long while I think.
Ah, I see. Totally understandable. I lasted about two or three days after beating it before I felt an itch to push more blocks, haha.

Papercuts said:
Dying in the upper 100s is heartbreaking, takes forever to get back. There's still nobody on xbl that beat the third level, and no one is even close on the fourth.
Honestly, I'm amazed I even made it to 99. I usually ruin the level in some way. I couldn't get that high again, but I'm ready to try now that I'm back home.

Natiko

Banned
Papercuts said:
I can get to 100 most of the time but I can't quite finish the rest of it. My highest is 126 I think :( I'm going to keep trying though seeing as how the first one is the only one I have a chance at beating. I tried the fourth one and only got to 30 steps. Good enough for sixth place though! lol

First 2 floors of night 7 down. It's actually pretty relaxing after the insanity that was night 6. Yeah, the puzzles got me scratching my head a few times, but neither floor took longer than 20 minutes and it was satisfying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dragonlife said:
Ah, I see. Totally understandable. I lasted about two or three days after beating it before I felt an itch to push more blocks, haha.

Honestly, I'm amazed I even made it to 99. I usually ruin the level in some way. I couldn't get that high again, but I'm ready to try now that I'm back home.

I hit a roadblock around the 90s for a bit but now I'm stuck in the mid 100s, destroying the levels has been a big issue for me with the rest of the levels though.

Natiko said:
I can get to 100 most of the time but I can't quite finish the rest of it. My highest is 126 I think :( I'm going to keep trying though seeing as how the first one is the only one I have a chance at beating. I tried the fourth one and only got to 30 steps. Good enough for sixth place though! lol

Yeah, I'm at 126 now, getting really close to cracking it. I can only get ~45 on 2 and 3, and on Obelisk that's enough to rank me at 23 already, haha.

cosmicblizzard said:
First 2 floors of night 7 down. It's actually pretty relaxing after the insanity that was night 6. Yeah, the puzzles got me scratching my head a few times, but neither floor took longer than 20 minutes and it was satisfying.

I loved stage 7, it falls a lot slower and is way more technique based. On my replay I just finished it and found it way easier than the replay of 6, where I got re-stuck on 6-3. Really is an odd difficulty leap.

Natiko

Banned
Papercuts said:
Yeah, I'm at 126 now, getting really close to cracking it. I can only get ~45 on 2 and 3, and on Obelisk that's enough to rank me at 23 already, haha.
I still haven't tried 2 or 3 yet, only gave 4 a shot for a good laugh at how impossible it was. I still think I can get 1 though, I just have to get up that high without collapsing it down to a skinny column.

Altar finished! WOO! Now I need one more gold for Menhir. For whatever reason, I really, really suck at getting Gold in stages. It's really quite depressing.

Moofers

I can't be the only one who is loving the soundtrack for this game, can I? I mean, its fantastic! That little soundtrack disc that came with it is full of some really good shit! Two nights ago, I was at a chilled out bar (not unlike Stray Sheep) with my girlfriend and one of her friends. The whole time we're sitting there having drinks I have the bar music from this game playing in my head. :)

I love this game. Definitely top 3 for this year. I'm so glad I got the "Love is Over" Edition too because when I become a big fan of a game, I like owning as much of it as I can. Really dig the pizza box packaging. Its funny because my girlfriend said she'd wear the shirt in there and then told me I could put the pillow case on my pillow if I wanted.

I said "No fucking way. Are you kidding?"

And she's like "Why not?"

so I said "Because I don't need anyone thinking that I hump my pillow. That's what I have you for." Then it hit her and she understood while making an "ick" face.

Thanks Catherine, for teaching her that there are people out there who make sweet sweet love to their pillows. She's better for knowing that, I'm sure. :)

see5harp

Enjoying the puzzles for the most part but really dislike the cutscenes, dialogue, writing, and the insanely stupid j-hop intro music. Ditch the anime cutscenes and the strange text messaging. For what reason does a "Golden Theater" watermark have to stay on the screen?

Volcynika

see5harp said:
Enjoying the puzzles for the most part but really dislike the cutscenes, dialogue, writing, and the insanely stupid j-hop intro music. Ditch the anime cutscenes and the strange text messaging. For what reason does a "Golden Theater" watermark have to stay on the screen?

You must've skipped the intro.

Hari Seldon

I hate Anime and JRPGs, and I have never played a Persona game. However I am now about 2 hours into this game and I am digging it a lot. Aside from the anime-style tropes, the writing is really good. Very Murakami post-modern. This is some of the best writing I have ever seen in a video game actually. Granted I am only 2 hours in, hopefully it stays this strong throughout.

UGH. Got to 172 steps in stage 3 of Babel and I got killed by a random ice block. It was my own fault for holding left instead of down, but god that is annoying. There is way too much luck involved between random block drops and the random mystery blocks.

Teknoman

see5harp said:

see5harp said:
No, I understand the story is meant to be a television show. I just think
it's idiotic.

il9QoG.png

All that is part of the game's feel as a whole. Without that, it just wouldnt be Catherine.

Moofers said:
I can't be the only one who is loving the soundtrack for this game, can I? I mean, its fantastic! That little soundtrack disc that came with it is full of some really good shit! Two nights ago, I was at a chilled out bar (not unlike Stray Sheep) with my girlfriend and one of her friends. The whole time we're sitting there having drinks I have the bar music from this game playing in my head. :)

You arent. Soundtracks by Shoji Meguro are usually great no matter the genre (SMT series, Maken X, and now Catherine).

EDIT: Just the thought of being stuck in a situation similar to whats going on in Catherine is actually kind of scary, both reality and the lucid dream world stuff... and i'm just back at the bar, after the second tower section.

see5harp said:

sounds like you should've just bought rapunzel :) ...

see5harp

I like the premise of a guy doubting a relationship's strengths and getting scruples over a one night stand. That's a unique premise for a game but aside from this setup I'm not finding the story well executed or well written. The Persona formula of picking a text entry and seeing a meter go up or down is not a necessarily compelling evelopment devise. Then the random question between levels. Comparing the writing or story to Kafka on the Shore or Norwegian Wood laughs.

duffyside said:
SOMEONE SHUT THAT FUCKING BELL UP!!!

Fuck! I'd honestly pay 5 dollars for DLC that turned that fucking thing off.

Edit: FUCK.

It was annoying at 3-4am when I had neighbours do think about. It was so god damned loud compared to the rest of the audio.

Fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
i tell you one thing, the second Catherine would have told me that she'd be handling all my bank accounts from now on would have been the precise moment I dumped her. Fuck outta here.

Giolon

Amir0x said:
i tell you one thing, the second Catherine would have told me that she'd be handling all my bank accounts from now on would have been the precise moment I dumped her. Fuck outta here.

You mean Katherine?

Erigu

see5harp said:
I like the premise of a guy doubting a relationship's strengths and getting scruples over a one night stand. That's a unique premise for a game but aside from this setup I'm not finding the story well executed or well written.
This, pretty much... They could have done so much more with such an idea, but in the end...
Still had a fairly good time with the game overall, and it's hard not to commend for at least trying to do something different.
(I also liked the texting system, and I miss the hell of it right now, while playing Steins;Gate...)

dragonlife said:
Altar finished! WOO! Now I need one more gold for Menhir. For whatever reason, I really, really suck at getting Gold in stages. It's really quite depressing.

Please. PLEASE. gimme tips on Altar.

UNCyrus

DoctorWho said:
It was annoying at 3-4am when I had neighbours do think about. It was so god damned loud compared to the rest of the audio.

Fuck.

When it transitions from CGI to an anime-style cutscene, the volume almost triples as well. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me for buying this game.

Amir0x said:

For this I really have to hand it to the writers for provoking honest reactions from their audience, rather than making it a 'which fetish do you prefer, glasses or blondes?' The game is asking you to role-play based on what kind of story you want Vincent to have. That's more choice than I usually have to deal with in any recent RPG, let alone action-puzzlers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Really on the fence about this game. The box gameplay wasn't bad in the demo and I definitely want to learn more about the characters.

Something tells me the game isn't really worth the full $60 price though. SO INDECISIVE.

UNCyrus said:
You couldn't be more wrong. A playthrough will take you anywhere from 10-15 hours if you don't do a lot of the side missions. Additionally there's a really cool cooperative and versus mode built in. This game will entertain me for at least 60-80 hours in order to 100% it all the way through.

That's reassuring, thanks. I was afraid it would end up being one of those good buy only 6 hours long games. A buddy of mine might pick it up as well for co-op, but I'm honestly not sure if he'd like it.

UNCyrus

Tomat said:
Really on the fence about this game. The box gameplay wasn't bad in the demo and I definitely want to learn more about the characters.

Something tells me the game isn't really worth the full $60 price though. SO INDECISIVE.

You couldn't be more wrong. A playthrough will take you anywhere from 10-15 hours if you don't do a lot of the side missions. Additionally there's a really cool cooperative and versus mode built in. This game will entertain me for at least 60-80 hours in order to 100% it all the way through.

Tomat said:

This game is easily worth its cost. Far more than many games released in this generation, in my opinion.

CatPee

Tomat said:

That's reassuring, thanks. I was afraid it would end up being one of those good buy only 6 hours long games. A buddy of mine might pick it up as well for co-op, but I'm honestly not sure if he'd like it.

It's worth it. Oh so worth it.

I kinda regret not getting the Love Is Over Edition so Atlus could get more of my money.

Amir0x

Banned
Gentleman Jack said:
For this I really have to hand it to the writers for provoking honest reactions from their audience, rather than making it a 'which fetish do you prefer, glasses or blondes?' The game is asking you to role-play based on what kind of story you want Vincent to have. That's more choice than I usually have to deal with in any recent RPG, let alone action-puzzlers.

I don't really think any of the choices are compelling. This game has an explicitly clear black/white path and if it wasn't already obvious enough, the game tells you when the choice is "good" or "bad."

I just thought when reading that, who would want to stay with her after a line like that? She's just telling you she'll be taking control of all the bank accounts from now on? Not even discussing it with you. That's the type of writing I expect in a game, though.

That's a psychopath.

Amir0x said:
I don't really think any of the choices are compelling. This game has an explicitly clear black/white path and if it wasn't already obvious enough, the game tells you when the choice is "good" or "bad."

I just thought when reading that, who would want to stay with her after a line like that? She's just telling you she'll be taking control of all the bank accounts from now on? Not even discussing it with you. That's the type of writing I expect in a game, though.

That's a psychopath.
I said the same thing. Total controlling crazy ass.

i need altar tips too for the end. high is 125, so close. too many diagonal blocks and not enuf solid platform base. played for 5 hours and nothing to show for it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I just started this. Really liking it so far.

Also, I noticed back on the second page of the thread, the OP said that you can't change the difficulty mid-way through. I'm sure someone has pointed this out by now, but you actually can change the difficulty in the Config screen while you're in the bar. And I'm damn glad you can, too. Normal's actually a bit tough thus far. I can see myself having to knock it down to easy once it starts getting harder. Definitely going to try to avoid that, though.

But yeah, great game so far. :D

george_us said:
I think I've come to the conclusion that the thing I hate the most in the game are the boss fights.

Just got to stage five though. The ice blocks are fucking awesome.

Of course you are saying that. But that's because you just did what is perhaps the most annoying boss fight in the entire game. It's all good from now on.

Top Bottom