• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

Well we still got

I guess

I've never watched this show (and somehow I doubt I ever will), were the Asian actors as prominent in the show as the white ones? Pretty fucked up if so. Good on them for leaving, I'm sure it's not easy to walk away from work.

They were main cast but no,
the two leads drive around and do everything while talking to them on the phone and they show up for shoot outs/raids.

Every now and then they get a focus episode or two but thats about it.

Its probably something like
O'Loughlin >>> Caan > Park > McBride > Kim >>> Garcia

Well we still got

I guess

the two leads drive around and do everything while talking to them on the phone and they show up for shoot outs/raids.

If this is the case why is it such an outrageous sin they’re not paid as much?

'Women and minorities earn less because they don't negotiate as hard'

*Women and minority actors negotiate for equal pay*

'Couldn't be helped, we had to go a different direction'

Sigh...

Joni

Alex and Scott where's the solidarity? Say what you want about the Big Bang Theory cast, but the whole principal cast took a pay cut so that Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch would make equal pay to the rest.
No. They make half of the others now. It is a significant raise but nowhere near the five others, with the three leads making a percentage point as well. Mayim also said you shouldn't believe everything about those negotiations.

danthefan

Less outrageous in that case I guess.

I suppose you still have the issue that the two white guys got the main parts. Daniel Dae Kim is awesome.

Never watched the show, but isn't Daniel like the main guy? Disgusting.

No, he was originally #3 but was then jumped by Grace Park.(Grace Park was continuously climbing from her introduction)

And the last few seasons he was jumped by Chi McBride.
Masi Oka and Jorge Garcia are the only major cast below him.

Never watched the show, but isn't Daniel like the main guy? Disgusting.

Nope. Alex O'Loughlin is THE main guy. If he leaves, the show may as well be over. Scott Caan is his partner.

In this show nobody is near O'Loughlin's level of importance IMO. There is no way they were going to earn the same as him, even if they were white.

_Ryo_

Never been to Hawaii but dont Asians make up like 60% of the population there? Its gonna be a weird depiction of Hawaii if theres a huge decrepancy... Or are there others Asians on the show and these were major characters? Either way, shame on CBS. Its beyond sad that race plays more into salary than actual acting quality.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dear White People season 2 with only white people would be interesting.

Never been to Hawaii but dont Asians make up like 60% of the population there? Its gonna be a weird depiction of Hawaii if theres a huge decrepancy... Or are there others Asians on the show and these were major characters? Either way, shame on CBS. Its beyond sad that race plays more into salary than actual acting quality.

White folks coming in and crowding out Asians and Polynesians in Hawaii? I don't believe it!

It's insane that they weren't being paid the same from the get go but for it to have never changed and now resulting in them leaving? Ridiculous

Well we still got

I guess

Also of note: O'Loughlin, Caan, Park and Kim have all been there since season 1, and I believe are the only remaining original cast (Masi Oka was also original cast). McBride and Garcia came in around season 3.

Zok310

Banned
All the Asian actors should follow them and bounce right off that shit. See how long the show last with them gone.

Theonik

Honestly I don't understand the rational here at all. Surely they can see that the reason Hawaii Five-0 has been running for as long as it has is because it offers something different in terms of the diverse cast. The setting and the Asian team members gave it something different. No one is watching the show for the Subway ads.

Can't fucking pay them more? I don't get it. Sigh.
You overestimate the sense of those companies, but also underestimate the fact that this industry is a cartel. The companies think they can strong-arm the way into it on the understanding that 'what are you going to do about it' many people who speak out against this sort of thing simply end up never getting work again.

Now, the other part of course is that their actions indicate that they fundamentally don't agree about your opinion on the value of a diverse cast. Ratings will tell whether they are correct or not.

rjinaz

'Women and minorities earn less because they don't negotiate as hard'

*Women and minority actors negotiate for equal pay*

'Couldn't be helped, we had to go a different direction'

Sigh...

Lol yeah. Republican talking points are always a fallacy. It's not because lower pay, it's because they don't want the pay as bad as the White men do! It's somehow always the fault of the people with the disadvantage.

MsKrisp

Wow fuck CBS. And there's no natives near lead roles either. Ugh. Well hopefully these actors can take much better roles now.

RS4-

DDK and Grace are more relevant and legitimate than the two mcwhities that are raking in more money.

The funny thing about this is that Caan has a deal where he only has to appear in half the episodes because he wants to spend more time on the mainland. So they were fine paying him the same money to do less, but not the "ethnic" supporting cast who had to work more to make up for his absences.
Wow that's super shitty.

Top Bottom