• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

Wtf...I watch 5-0 sometimes and I really do like the entire cast, but this is fucked up. O'Loughlin, Caan, and McBride should really say something.

And what happened to Adam, Ian Anthony Dale's character? Did he leave the show, because if not I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk out too.

Blader

Scott Caan is arguably a bigger name than both of them (he had a movie career for a while there), but a decent amount of that was probably based on nepotism, and he would still have a much better deal if he only actually has to appear in half the episodes. But there's really no reason they shouldn't be paid as much as Alex except for the execs deciding to be penny-pinching assholes. Well, that and racism, but mostly that.

If he's at all a bigger name, it's because of literally his last name. I'd argue Daniel Dae Kim has more heat because of Lost and Grace Park because of Battlestar Galactica than Scott Caan has from bit parts in Varsity Blues or Gone in 60 Seconds.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
If he's at all a bigger name, it's because of literally his last name. I'd argue Daniel Dae Kim has more heat because of Lost and Grace Park because of Battlestar Galactica than Scott Caan has from bit parts in Varsity Blues or Gone in 60 Seconds.

And the ocean movies

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Casting two white guys as the main cast members for a show set in Hawaii was always super odd...like not even a white guy and a white girl. Two white males. This is a really bad look for the show.

Grace Park is the only person I recognise in this show, so it is really weird that somebody with taht star appeal (comparatively to the others) would be getting paid less.

Bigfoot

Casting two white guys as the main cast members for a show set in Hawaii was always super odd...like not even a white guy and a white girl. Two white males. This is a really bad look for the show.
It's a remake of an old 80's show. To be fair the show has a very diverse cast and use a lot of Hawaiian actors.

As for the two actors leaving, unfortunately for them the show can go on without them. Alex is the heart of the show and it ends when he leaves so he should get paid the most. I have no idea why Scott gets paid the same as he is barely on the show.

In Hollywood, having a bit part in the Ocean movies (at the same level as Casey Affleck, basically) is generally going to be worth more than being the 3rd/4th lead in a critically acclaimed TV series (which is what Kim and Park had on their respective shows). Generally speaking, being a movie actor has been, and possibly still is, more respected than being a TV actor.

CloudWolf

Serious question: if you're white, why would you want to see a non-white person on your TV more than a white person?
Because I'm not racist?

I don't have a preference for specific races on TV/films, but it's complete bullshit that non-white actors are treated like this, especially when the non-white actors are bigger names and way more talented than the white guys.

tenor.gif

I believe he's somehow comparing the average of all white people versus all Asian people in the US. Which is an absolutely inane comparison.

Hey guys I'm also not wrong if I compare the average of only white people working as cashiers vs only Asian people working as CEOs (like the 5 of them that are CEOs).

Bigfoot

Looked up Alex O’Loughlin's salary and he makes $115,000 / episode, so DDK and Grace are walking away from $100k / episode. That's a lot of money to make a stand on. Good for them but I couldn't do that.

Serious question: if you're white, why would you want to see a non-white person on your TV more than a white person?

To see something I'm not like super personally familiar with? I can see plenty of white people with hollywood-esque six packs that make me feel inadequate enough ( :p ) but a diverse cast or makeup for a show is more interesting to watch. I mean, i have problems with how 5-0 treats torture and how fucking seriously it takes itself anyway...and how someone goes from a villain in the Yakuza to husband etc....buuuut Steve and Dano are not that interesting as characters.

I think also its about contextual believably. For a show set in Hawaii to not have any asian or hawaiin leads, it feels weird. Like they are peripheral characters in a show that uses the islands as a character and has lovely shots on the environment...conversely it doesn't make sense to me in something like Doctor Who when the new showrunner says they think a Black/Female Doctor would be gimmicky, like it's already established that the Doctor regenerates into "faces" he recognizes and that the Time Lords are gender/racially-fluid...

So for it to eternally be white men feels boring. It can depend on what type of show you are watching, too....like I got bored with TWD fairly quickly but I was curious that for a while T-Dog (?) seemed to avoid being the token black guy in a horror movie trope.

faridmon

Good for them. Hopefully they go on do better shows, as Hawaii 5-0 is shit, but the fact they weren't paid enough is disgusting

Decado

Both of those actors are too good for that show. Sad to have seen them stuck in it for so long. Deserved better opportunities. Hope it works out.

It's a remake of an old 80's show. To be fair the show has a very diverse cast and use a lot of Hawaiian actors.

As for the two actors leaving, unfortunately for them the show can go on without them. Alex is the heart of the show and it ends when he leaves so he should get paid the most. I have no idea why Scott gets paid the same as he is barely on the show.

60s/70s. The leads are tied together in-universe. I like Caan, but that role could have been cast with literally anyone else.

I like DDK, that will hurt. I think he added a lot. Grace Park? As written, the character did nothing for me. Haven't watched the show since season 4, I had been thinking about getting back into it.

Measley

Racism pure and simple. I'm glad DDK and GK stuck to their guns and walked. They don't deserve to be treated like that.

norm9

Only watched the first season. Yeah the dudes were the main characters for the most part but it was an ensemble. How do you not have Asian or Hawaiian characters on this?

Good for them for leaving.

Because when I step out my house I see a lot of diversity right there. Im dealing with diverse people daily. To only watch white washed media is quite off putting to say the least even as a white person cause its not reflecting reality at all.

KSweeley

Well RIP Hawaii Five-0, fucking stupid for CBS not to give two of the main stars of a successful TV series pay equality.

milkham

I never actually watched the show but I recorded an episode once when I was testing out a dvr program. I scrubbed through the episode and didn't see Daniel Dae Kim or Grace Park, and the only asians in the episode were criminals so I never gave the show another look.

In Hollywood, having a bit part in the Ocean movies (at the same level as Casey Affleck, basically) is generally going to be worth more than being the 3rd/4th lead in a critically acclaimed TV series (which is what Kim and Park had on their respective shows). Generally speaking, being a movie actor has been, and possibly still is, more respected than being a TV actor.

This is still very true, film is still the more prestigious medium but tv at least is no longer viewed as the place careers go to die.

While I'm not familiar with Lost, Park on BSG was probably 6 or 7th in the pecking order of the cast. I generally viewed the hierarchy as Olmos,McDonnell, Bamber, Sackoff, Helfer, Calliis, Hogan and then her.

I've never watched the show, so how pivotal were the two exiting actors to the series versus those who are staying? How often were they central characters?
despite being 2 of the current 5 main cast they are very insignificant.
O'Loughlin's character is what the entire show revolves around, he is there every episode with the most screentime and all the shows biggest plots have been about his character.
Caan character himself isn't that relevant other than being a foil to O'Loughlin's ridiculous special forces antics.
Park was far less than those two but was getting more and more relevant, especially with the story with her character's continued marriage to a dead Yakuza leaders son.
McBride is after that.
Kim had a small arc this season but thats about the most memorable thing in years.

Nope. Alex O'Loughlin is THE main guy. If he leaves, the show may as well be over. Scott Caan is his partner.

In this show nobody is near O'Loughlin's level of importance IMO. There is no way they were going to earn the same as him, even if they were white.

O'Loughlin was leaving after this season either way.

Looked up Alex O’Loughlin's salary and he makes $115,000 / episode, so DDK and Grace are walking away from $100k / episode. That's a lot of money to make a stand on. Good for them but I couldn't do that.

Thought the same. I respect it but i couldn't do it myself. It's not like they will get a lot of offers.

Pluto

Because I'm not a racist who thinks whit people are superior?
Before this show started I knew DDK from Lost and GP from Battlestar Galactica, their involvement was what made me aware that the show even existed, I had never heard of Scott Caan and I knew Alex O'Loughlin as "the guy with the tramp stamp" who starred on a stupid vampire show that wanted to be Angel but forgot being good.

Ambient80

Can’t believe they would let such a great actor like DDK walk because they didn’t wanna pony up some cash. I remember seeing him on previews when the show first debuted and was like JIN OMG. I hope he finds something way better.

AoM

despite being 2 of the current 5 main cast they are very insignificant.
O'Loughlin's character is what the entire show revolves around, he is there every episode with the most screentime and all the shows biggest plots have been about his character.
Caan character himself isn't that relevant other than being a foil to O'Loughlin's ridiculous special forces antics.
Park was far less than those two but was getting more and more relevant, especially with the story with her character's continued marriage to a dead Yakuza leaders son.
McBride is after that.
Kim had a small arc this season but thats about the most memorable thing in years.

Ah. So it seems O'Loughlin's increase was justified, but not Caan's?

Can't believe they would let such a great actor like DDK walk because they didn't wanna pony up some cash. I remember seeing him on previews when the show first debuted and was like JIN OMG. I hope he finds something way better.

They really had absolutely no clue how to use him through 7 seasons.

Ah. So it seems O'Loughlin's increase was justified, but not Caan's?
O'Loughlin deserves it easily.

Caan is a weird situation,
the show backed themselves into a corner where Caan is extremely important to the format and would probably unravel without him in large chunks.
However his deal lets him out many episodes though he still easily has the #2 screentime.
On top of that his character isn't extremely relevant anymore outside of being a device against O'Loughlin.

Well if I had the amount of money they already have then it would be a lot easier to walk away. There's a point where you have enough money and there's not really a point for more. I mean how many cars and houses does a person need?

I'm sure their kid's kid's kid will be well taken care of already.

akira28

I didn't even know Hawaii 5-0 was still being made. Or still on tv anywhere.

Steve Caan? Worth every penny. no clue who he is or what the fuck he looks like, but he immediately conjures up an indelible image of James Caan from that movie.

edit:
actually the picture is of Kirk Douglas. oh well, sorry James. Sorry Stebe.

otapnam

I think they get points/residuals for syndication whereas park and ddk didn't?

Someone correct me if wrong

Top Bottom