• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Game Over? Sounds like it might be way too serious gaming for me, though I do want to get out and meet some people.
It's a locally owned retro games store. They have a few locations in and around Austin, a store in Houston, and a store in San Antonio.

I have held meet ups at the North Lamar store in the past. Hang out, talk about games. Play games. Everything I will have hooked up is going to be a decade old or older. SHMUPS are pretty pick up and play, keeping people busy, but not overly engrossing.

I'm going to bring:

Saturn:
-Battle Garegga
-Salamander Deluxe Pack
-Galactic Attack
-Batsugun
-Thunder Force Gold Pack 2

Dreamcast:
-Gigawing 2
-Zero Gunner 2
-Gunbird 2

PS1:
Einhander

This sounds fantastic, I would want to go but sadly I will most likely be working at the store in SA that day *lol* One of the disadvantages of being a weekend employee there. I hope you have a good turnout though. Also things are still a go for tomorrow, my friends and I are waking up bright and early to go up.
Aw man that sucks. Would have been a perfect time for you to make the trip up here. Definitely try to make it if you happen to have the day off.

Turnout should be alright. I will probably post something on Racketboy and the SHMUP forums.

Servbot24

Banned
It's a locally owned retro games store. They have a few locations in and around Austin, a store in Houston, and a store in San Antonio.

I have held meet ups at the North Lamar store in the past. Hang out, talk about games. Play games. Everything I will have hooked up is going to be a decade old or older. SHMUPS are pretty pick up and play, keeping people busy, but not overly engrossing.

I'm going to bring:

Saturn:
-Battle Garegga
-Salamander Deluxe Pack
-Galactic Attack
-Batsugun
-Thunder Force Gold Pack 2

Dreamcast:
-Gigawing 2
-Zero Gunner 2
-Gunbird 2

PS1:
Einhander
Don't know any of those..... Smash bros is the extent of my fighter experience :p

Looks cool! I know in January we are having an obscure systems gathering at the 2nd San Antonio GO store. We have one guy who owns an MSX and X68k that he brings in, I bring in my Duo and Famicom/FDS and other things, it's fun.

Does anyone have a PC CRT they can bring on the 24th? Someone may be bringing their X68000, but we're going to need a PC CRT to do anything with it. If so, we're in for a real treat. :D

Does anyone have a PC CRT they can bring on the 24th? Someone may be bringing their X68000, but we're going to need a PC CRT to do anything with it. If so, we're in for a real treat. :D

Make sure it's a multi sync monitor or there'll be issues. Our guy brings his own and it's soooo nice.

Servbot24

Banned
Forgot that FFF has free shows at night. I'm not really into the main shows this year but I'm planning to see Thee Oh Sees, White Lung, Black Tusk and Pelican at night.

Seth C

Hey Austin people, I'll be in town this weekend. Anyone want to hang out, maybe check out a brewery or two? Also, if any of you are CouchSurfers and can offer a place to sleep let me know!

Savory Spice or Con' Olio Oils?
These places. Oh my heaven.

Both will let you sample their various items, so you know exactly what you're dealing with. The salt section alone at the Spice Shop is great, and the balsamic vinegars at Con' Olio's are amazing.

The Barnes & Noble at the Arboretum is beastly, too.

DaRabidDuckie

The one think people from out of state kept telling me when I moved to Austin was to be careful and don't get in a car wreck.

Mission Accomplished. I didn't get in a car wreck in Austin. It was in San Antonio.

Fortunately my car is still drivable. I did sprain my shoulder, and possibly worse. Gotta get it checked out again. The worst part is I can't hold an arcade stick for a month, and since I can't solder I had to shut down my arcade stick modding business until I'm able to work again.

I'll live, but this still sucks.

Glad to come in here though and see there's a meetup soon. Might have to drop in and get my Einhander on.

The one think people from out of state kept telling me when I moved to Austin was to be careful and don't get in a car wreck.

Mission Accomplished. I didn't get in a car wreck in Austin. It was in San Antonio.

Fortunately my car is still drivable. I did sprain my shoulder, and possibly worse. Gotta get it checked out again. The worst part is I can't hold an arcade stick for a month, and since I can't solder I had to shut down my arcade stick modding business until I'm able to work again.

I'll live, but this still sucks.

Glad to come in here though and see there's a meetup soon. Might have to drop in and get my Einhander on.
Shit man. Glad to hear you're ok.

I thought this would be a good place to mention that Game On Austin is going on next week (Thursday, Nov 21 6-9pm)

A bunch of local Austin devs (including myself) will be showing off our games. Twisted Pixel will be there so you can get your hands on an Xbox One a whole day early! There will be free pizza and (very much not free) beer!

JaXp5Tf.jpg

Should be a good time. Come say hi! I will be the dude standing near the iPads with the papercraft insects on them.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I thought this would be a good place to mention that Game On Austin is going on next week (Thursday, Nov 21 6-9pm)

A bunch of local Austin devs (including myself) will be showing off our games. Twisted Pixel will be there so you can get your hands on an Xbox One a whole day early! There will be free pizza and (very much not free) beer!

JaXp5Tf.jpg

Should be a good time. Come say hi! I will be the dude standing near the iPads with the papercraft insects on them.

Looks interesting. I might check it out, I'm also a local dev.

Sydle

JaXp5Tf.jpg

Cool. I may drop by.

Meier

Anyone interested in braving the elements and seeing CHVRCHES tonight at Stubb's? Will sell you the ticket at face value ($30). My wife is trying to skip out due to the forecast.

I wanted to see CHVRCHES tonight but not if it's going to be insanely cold lol appreciate it though, hopefully someone else gets the ticket from you.

I'm at Waterloo Records right now though, they're doing a small show here, which is good enough for me!
show starts at 5PM if anyone is interested.

Meier

I wanted to see CHVRCHES tonight but not if it's going to be insanely cold lol appreciate it though, hopefully someone else gets the ticket from you.

I'm at Waterloo Records right now though, they're doing a small show here, which is good enough for me!
show starts at 5PM if anyone is interested.

Whoa, hadn't heard about that! Very cool. I just sold the ticket on Craigslist for the bargain price of $40 (priced it to move). Oh well, at least, the profit I made will cover my parking! It's gonna be really fucking cold, I'm definitely coming late to this one. Sorry opener.

I'm not goin' nowhere. Saw 3 wrecks on the way home. Bundled in my robe and contemplating catching up on Sons of Anarchy. I should start packing things up for the meet on Sunday.

Did anyone make it to Game On?

Don't forget the meet up on Sunday @ Game Over on North Lamar. See the first post for details. Still looking for a second CRT TV and multi-sync monitor. PM me if anyone has one they can bring.

I was chatting with RoryDropkick and decided to just bring a bunch of multiplayer games from mostly the 32 bit era. I think I have enough hardware to get 6 player Guardian Heroes going on the Saturn. And yes, Einhander will be there.

I'm not goin' nowhere. Saw 3 wrecks on the way home. Bundled in my robe and contemplating catching up on Sons of Anarchy. I should start packing things up for the meet on Sunday.

Did anyone make it to Game On?

Don't forget the meet up on Sunday @ Game Over on North Lamar. See the first post for details. Still looking for a second CRT TV and multi-sync monitor. PM me if anyone has one they can bring.

I was chatting with RoryDropkick and decided to just bring a bunch of multiplayer games from mostly the 32 bit era. I think I have enough hardware to get 6 player Guardian Heroes going on the Saturn. And yes, Einhander will be there.

I want to make it again sometime soon. As it is, we are going to do the Wacky/Rare Fighting game night on December 13th at the Bandera/1604 Game Over, then January 10th is going to be Rare/Obscure System Night. You can see the events on our Facebook page also.

The weather is going too prevent our friend from Dallas from making it down with some of the more extravagant hardware. Plenty of Playstation, Saturn, and Dreamcast though.

Brilliant Disaster mentioned bringing his MB Pro for 4 player Jamestown.

Bring your 3DSs (if you have one) for 4 player Kokuga download play.

Going to get some sleep. See you guys tomorrow... Unless the roads freeze over. o_O

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'll try to show up to the next thing. Lots of video games, long date, and prepping for Thanksgiving left me burned out today.

Weird weather we're having. Reminds me of Tennessee winters. Just barely above freezing yet drizzling/light rain. It's horrible.

Too cold and wet for me to bike over, hope y'all have fun though!
The weather was pretty miserable. I got lucky with a short break in the rain when I loaded the car.

NNNNNnnoooooooo I was stuck (am stuck) in lab all night...boooooo
One of my friends wanted to make it but he was also stuck at work. :/

Hope to do this more often. Couch multiplayer with games of yesteryear is pretty fun. The biggest obstacle is finding a place to host it and a time when everyone can join in.

I'll try to show up to the next thing. Lots of video games, long date, and prepping for Thanksgiving left me burned out today.

Weird weather we're having. Reminds me of Tennessee winters. Just barely above freezing yet drizzling/light rain. It's horrible.
Yeah, we ended up with a pretty decent turnout, considering Comic-Con (haha, I had no idea) and the weather.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it :( I'm glad everyone had fun who did show up though.
Nah man, no apologies. The weather was really nasty all day and it probably wouldn't have been safe to make your way up here from San Antonio. We'll have other meets and gatherings.

I think I counted about 7 or 8 coming and going. Brilliant Disaster, SomewhatGroovy, and Myself from GAF. A couple of friends from work I mentioned the meet to and Hill from a new-ish Youtube gaming channel, Pixels Vs. Polygons also dropped by. Hill got to play his first ever game of Guardian Heroes on the Saturn :D

Lord it is getting cold. My penny-pinching ass finally hard to turn on the heater. Think we're gonna have snow this winter? San Marcos got snow in January '11 back in the day.

Freaking Gateway and Arboretum are beautiful, especially the Whole Foods up there. Even in this weather they're still lovely (if anything, they're more lovely with all the fir wreathes and trees).

Thank god I have a super short commute to work, even in busy hours.

I actually work on 183, but I live smack dab between my job and that nicer part of North Austin. I wish I could afford living in Great Hills.
01laugh.gif

Meier

I am sick of it! We moved here from Chicago to escape this crap. :p The 1 mile walk from my parking space to my work doesn't help either..

Not downtown, looks like mud.

Going to Iowa in a couple days for Christmas though!

Hmm... I'm in the same boat. Live in Austin, originally from Iowa. Heading home in a week and a half too. Hopefully it warms up a little before then, because it is single digit temps back there right now.

I am sick of it! We moved here from Chicago to escape this crap. :p The 1 mile walk from my parking space to my work doesn't help either..
Suck it up, mister! It's ball-sweating weather here for the other 340 days of the year.

Although, my dog would rather piss on the sidewalk than step onto the frozen grass of my front yard, so you may have a point.

Beautiful day outside.

KXAN was talking about those big accordion-style buses starting up next month. The closest station to me is Chinatown, so I don't know if I want to leave my car in that parking lot to take a bus ride.
01laugh.gif

And now we're up to 70 degree clear skies. =|

Anyway I need to check out Mai Thai and Piranha Killer Sushi downtown. I was in that neck of the woods to meet a friend at PF Changs and realized how much more I wanted to visit those little places.

How is austin gaf holding up? We've been uber quiet lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom