• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin GAF,

I have an unusual proposition for you all. For the longest time, I've been very interested in producing an anthology of videos. A sort of, heavily detailed retrospective look back at one of three series that I hold near and dear. Those series are Oddworld, Broken Sword, and Tomb Raider.

I would absolutely love to get in touch with some local super fans of the series to see about making such a project come to fruition. Think something like TwinPerfect's 'The Real Silent Hill Experiment' but with either of the series listed above.

Why? Well, all these series have recently been introduced to a new audience. Either in the form of a reboot, remake, or new game altogether and I feel it would be great to educate people on the background of these series, and maybe inspire and encourage them to go back and play some of these older titles.

Tomb Raider:
As you may notice from my post history, I have a very well documented distaste for the Tomb Raider reboot, and fear the future of the franchise. I would love to go over the history of the series, and hopefully get across what is missing in the newer games, as well as perhaps show that maybe these games haven't aged as bad as people may think. The chance to rip this new reboot a new asshole, as well as the opportunity to praise the genius level design and atmosphere of the original games (well, 1-4) would be something I'd love to do.

Oddworld:
As for Oddworld, the recent release of New 'n' Tasty and it's success proves to make it an exciting time to be an Oddworld fan. Series creator Lorne Lanning is among the absolute most passionate designer I can think of, with such ambition, creativity and vision, I would really love for his creations to get a second look and attention they deserve.

Broken Sword:
Broken Sword 5: Serpants Curse was released last year and proved to be quite a hit with both fans of the series, and newcomers alike. I played these games growing up and turned out to be the first point-and-click games I ever experienced. I was a massive fan of the story, the artstyle and characters. It had a bit of a decline with the third and fourth installments, but after a very successful Kickstarter campaign resulted in a series come back after many years of silence, it is truly a nice story in itself, and one that I would love to go into detail about.

I actually have a kind of structure and layout for how I feel the Oddworld series would go, based upon some work I did on this would-be project several years ago but couldn't make due to logistical reasons. I can definitely link people that are interested to some files on a Google Drive account, showing some mock up introduction tiles, video, and basic script structure.

I know it's ambitious, and I'm aware it's a lot to take on. I'm not going to mix words, this isn't a 'for sure' thing. It's simply an idea I've had for a long time now, and after quite a long break from video production projects, YouTube Let's Plays, and working with a local award winning podcast community, I'd like to make a comeback of sorts and am simply exploring a potential avenue.

I can go into greater detail, but I'd love to round up some people from the Austin area to work on this potentially great project, and at the same time, get to know my local GAF'ers more personally. Obviously, people with experience in video producing and such would be very appreciated. I'm not sold on any particular idea or format, so any suggestions would be welcome. I'm not asking anyone to necessarily get in front of a microphone and read out a script or anything, but merely assist and help with various things throughout the course of the project, such as getting game footage for example. Of course any help given would not only be greatly appreciated, but I can guarantee at least one packet of cookies of your choice, and a thank you in the credits and such.

Some of you already have me on your various gaming platforms. But please, I'd encourage you to shoot me a PM, or simply reply to this thread if you're interested.

Thank you.
-Jack

@MadClacker

Why do you need people located in Austin? Do you have a specific filming setup for interviews?

Nope! Definitely not a requirement that people be FROM Austin. It simply helps, logistically speaking. The fellow I wished to do this project with in the past lives in England and so obviously, the time zone makes it a bit difficult to do. I just figured it would be easier to work locally. That said, I'd definitely appreciate and welcome help from all over! At the end of the day, as long as you're roughly on the same time as I am, Skype would eliminate a lot of issues. Again, this isn't something I have set in stone. I'm merely fielding out to see if anyone would be interested. I'm opening the dialog and if anyone wishes to participate, I could be seriously interested in making this happen.

This isn't a 'professional' set up or anything like that. I'm just a guy who lives in an apartment, works 7:30am-5:00pm and may be interested in undertaking a project in my spare time with any like minded fans.

:)

Hey, thanks for replying! What series are you most familiar with. I'm looking for die hard fans who really understand the ins and outs of one of these franchises.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Oddworld, but my problem with that is.. I haven't played it quite a long time. >.<

So I guess I wouldn't be able to meet that requirement, haha.

Zoe

Of course the day we need to drive up to Kileen to prep for the Army Half is the day we finally get a hard freeze and ice everywhere :\

AkuMifune

Banned
Is it the night some snow finally falls for us, or are we at least gonna get a sweet ice sheet over everything?

Even if the schools only have a two-hour delay I'll be able to mercifully sleep in.

Get to work from home tomorrow due to the weather. Not that I dont get to work from home that often but still. Just need some hot drinks when its cold out

AkuMifune

Banned
Had a notice on my door that they're going to close my section of the street next week to film an episode of the From Dusk Til Dawn TV show.

Not sure if I should be honored or insulted.

Zoe

My coworker's husband has already been an extra on there once. He actually gets picked for all of Robert Rodriguez's stuff since he looks Mexican :lol

So this thread has become more of a collection of conversations and area related comments than my original intention to set up events and have an actual Official Thread.

This is mostly my fault, as I haven't done much beyond updating the first post to include the occasional planned meet up information. Most of which I haven't had a chance to attend. Due to reasons mostly work related, this is not likely to change.

While I have remained moderately active in the gaming related forum, most of my time off these days is spent on the couch, gaming and trying not to think about how ridiculously demanding my job has become over the last few months. And when my wife is is off, my free time is spent with her.

With that said, I will no longer be managing the thread. Someone who is interested in doing so is free to step up and create another CTX OT or request a take over of this one by a mod (if that's even possible). Thanks everyone.

Timeaisis

So this thread has become more of a collection of conversations and area related comments than my original intention to set up events and have an actual Official Thread.

This is mostly my fault, as I haven't done much beyond updating the first post to include the occasional planned meet up information. Most of which I haven't had a chance to attend. Due to reasons mostly work related, this is not likely to change.

While I have remained moderately active in the gaming related forum, most of my time off these days is spent on the couch, gaming and trying not to think about how ridiculously demanding my job has become over the last few months. And when my wife is is off, my free time is spent with her.

With that said, I will no longer be managing the thread. Someone who is interested in doing so is free to step up and create another CTX OT or request a take over of this one by a mod (if that's even possible). Thanks everyone.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll PM a mod and see what we can do. I'll either open a new OT or maybe be able to take over/merge this one? We'll see.

Anyone interested in a meet up soon?

I'm down.

Timeaisis

Sorry for the double post. Heads up I'm gonna try to bring a new OT online tomorrow. Already got the go-ahead from a besada.

Trying to get some better organization, keep it updated, and most of all encourage some actual meet-ups. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom