• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

And now we're up to 70 degree clear skies. =|

Anyway I need to check out Mai Thai and Piranha Killer Sushi downtown. I was in that neck of the woods to meet a friend at PF Changs and realized how much more I wanted to visit those little places.

How is austin gaf holding up? We've been uber quiet lately.

Mai Thai was good but nothing special. Haven't been to the sushi place, but you have to go to Max's Wine Dive for the fried chicken.

Went to Pinballz last night with some friends and half of the reward section seemingly consisted of Duck Dynasty along with a new arcade cabinet on the front floor. I asked one of the workers I chat up everytime I stop by about it and she reluctantly informed me that the owner was a supporter of their rights in the face of recent events. She told me one of their workers even quit over it.

I left very disappointed by this.
Wow...

Went to Pinballz last night with some friends and half of the reward section seemingly consisted of Duck Dynasty along with a new arcade cabinet on the front floor. I asked one of the workers I chat up everytime I stop by about it and she reluctantly informed me that the owner was a supporter of their rights in the face of recent events. She told me one of their workers even quit over it.

Hoo boy. I hope that doesn't get out. Austin of all places too. That does upset me somewhat.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

This is business suicide in Austin. It would be like putting up "Fuck creationists" in an arcade in my hometown in Tennessee. Inflammatory and irrelevant to the business.

Meier

:( Sad to hear this. Thanks for sharing with us though.

Game Over Videogames San Antonio is having their Obscure Systems Night tomorrow night at their 1604 and Bandera store. It runs from 4:30 to 8:30 and we are set to have systems like the X68K, the Laseractive with both attachments, a Famicom with Disk System and 3d glasses, MSX and a few others. Stop on by if you are in SA!

So today Austin's cedar pollen count was a historically high 24,500 grains per cubic meter.

A "high" classification is "1000."

I am dying.

Fuck allergies. omg

Zoe

I started getting allergy shots in September of 2011, and today has been the first day to kind of bother me this season. Itchy nose and throat with a few sneezes before I took my daily Zyrtec.

teh_pwn

I started getting allergy shots in September of 2011, and today has been the first day to kind of bother me this season. Itchy nose and throat with a few sneezes before I took my daily Zyrtec.

My allergy shots, also started in 2011, have been rock solid. Except with Cedar. I had what I thought was a cold from 2 weeks of runny noses. Busted out some old Nasonex and Patanase a week and a half ago and now nothing. Science fuck yeah, etc.

Zoe

I have like an entire year's supply of Flonase stocked up :lol I should cancel the auto-refill, but it's such a minor expense that I've never gotten around to it.

teh_pwn

It's weird how effective the nasal spray is. I debated whether or not to take it because for whatever reason I just am highly skeptical because it feels like it unevenly distributes.

Maybe Cedar is why people at the HEB on Mopac/Parmer are such drooling morons (the customers, not the store). I swear every adult there nearly walks into you, and it's when they're entering the exit door or just not fucking looking while they walk around. If I were a rich man, I would go to the new Whole Foods at the Domain. But it looks busy. So if I were a rich man, I would send Jenkins to go get the groceries at Whole Foods. It makes you feel like you live in a NYC borough that's completely uncultured and people have yet to learn how to walk.

Servbot24

Banned
I now have a job just north of 180 and Mopac. I live right next to UT so that's about an hour bike ride. I'm dealing with it for now but I might look into moving closer when my current lease is up.

Zoe

I just spent the past half hour walking from one end of the (old) Domain to the other. Should have walked to the WF side instead. My physical therapist told me that she spent 5 minutes in the line of cars yesterday before giving up.

Edit: bf reports that it is indeed packed.

I now have a job just north of 180 and Mopac. I live right next to UT so that's about an hour bike ride. I'm dealing with it for now but I might look into moving closer when my current lease is up.
You should take advantage of the bus system. Tons of support in that area.

teh_pwn

Yeah, this city is getting crowded. I'm so fucking glad I didn't get a house in Leander, Round Rock, Cedar Park, or Pflugerville. I'm thinking about moving to the apartment next to work so I don't have to drive. The infrastructure just isn't scaling with growth. The basic premise of using highways with not always contiguous access roads for daily commute just doesn't work. Having legit, diagnosed ADD doesn't help with this.

Maybe Cedar is why people at the HEB on Mopac/Parmer are such drooling morons (the customers, not the store). I swear every adult there nearly walks into you, and it's when they're entering the exit door or just not fucking looking while they walk around. If I were a rich man, I would go to the new Whole Foods at the Domain. But it looks busy. So if I were a rich man, I would send Jenkins to go get the groceries at Whole Foods. It makes you feel like you live in a NYC borough that's completely uncultured and people have yet to learn how to walk.
I'd love to check out Whole Foods Domain, but yea I noticed that parking lot is fucking tiny. My budget also falls more towards M.T. Market, too. :p I do like that HEB on Mopac, though (I used to live off Ganymede when I was a wee lad).
Yeah, this city is getting crowded. I'm so fucking glad I didn't get a house in Leander, Round Rock, Cedar Park, or Pflugerville. I'm thinking about moving to the apartment next to work so I don't have to drive. The infrastructure just isn't scaling with growth. The basic premise of using highways with not always contiguous access roads for daily commute just doesn't work. Having legit, diagnosed ADD doesn't help with this.
This town is fucked. There are only three legit options of traveling north and south (Mopac, Lamar, and fucking I35). If I am indeed moving south of the river this August, there's no way I'm staying at my job up north. =X

Zoe

This town is fucked. There are only three legit options of traveling north and south (Mopac, Lamar, and fucking I35). If I am indeed moving south of the river this August, there's no way I'm staying at my job up north. =X

Don't forget 360.

Driving down 360 with no other cars used to be so glorious :(

I'd love to check out Whole Foods Domain, but yea I noticed that parking lot is fucking tiny. My budget also falls more towards M.T. Market, too. :p I do like that HEB on Mopac, though (I used to live off Ganymede when I was a wee lad).

I live south of 71 and work in Pflugerville. I get to work at 5:30 and leave at 3:30. Plus I've found the relaxing mantra of podcasts to diffuse my anger when driving. Every little bit helps.

I guess I'm lucky, I live right off 290/71 and can take that all the way to monterey oaks and william cannon where I work. Never have to commute on I35 or Mopac
I definitely agree about podcasts helping on commutes

I guess I'm lucky that I'm not really allergic to anything. I know someone who had to take work off Tuesday because of a cedar allergy, and he's a workaholic. I can't imagine allergies being so bad that you'd have to call in sick.

I live south of 71 and work in Pflugerville. I get to work at 5:30 and leave at 3:30. Plus I've found the relaxing mantra of podcasts to diffuse my anger when driving. Every little bit helps.
I'm not unfamiliar to out-of-town commutes... used to trudge up 35 from San Marcos, braving the morning and evening traffic jams.

Also, who needs podcasts when you have Dudley & Bob in the Morning. Best morning show I've ever heard. (I miss hearing them every morning... I'm never on the road until after noon, nowadays....)

teh_pwn

I'm such a baller I'm on a different field of existence and I have no idea what's going on.

Servbot24

Banned
awww shit

actually yesterday i shot some hoops for literally the first time in about 2 years. went 0/10 on my first free throw attempts. 10/10 on my last ones. B-)

AkuMifune

Banned
Any of you guys ballers? I'm tryin to get back into it

I play a few times a week. Usually at Shipe Park after work because it's across the street, but I go to the YMCA Town Lake sometimes. My next day is Thursday, but people say it might snow? WTF?

I'll play with you sometime. Mainly I smoke a joint and run around anyway. ;)

Hey, someone have a Royal Rumble party this Sunday.

teh_pwn

I imagine he's too busy driving around the city in a convertible Lamborghini while laughing maniacally.

That would just be awkard, with the slowdowns in traffic and all.

I just opened a bottle of champagne. Greatest post-workout drink. Really takes the edge off. I just got it too, what with the minute change of flurries and all. Gotta stock up.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ah, an Austin meet-up thread? I might be moving from NYC to Austin soon. Received the job offer. Undecided, ah.

teh_pwn

Ah, an Austin meet-up thread? I might be moving from NYC to Austin soon. Received the job offer. Undecided, ah.

Keep in mind that money here is worth nearly 3x what it's worth in Manhattan. City is great, but could use some infrastructure ideas that NYC has.

I'm not sure how to tell if my work is out. I'll have to rely on my some 50+ facebook work 'friends'.

I actually just drove. It's not bad. Clear icing on cars and other surfaces. I drove slow on overpasses and didn't have a sign of ice, but it could have just been my baller driving skills. Lots of cars with cops next to them with sirens near overpasses so I do think there is some slick spots. Lots of people were driving cautiously which surprised me. Usually Austinites floor it during weather (rain or snow) and are surprised when they lose traction.

There's another batch of ice hitting now. There's a chance. :D

Zoe

Hit some slush trying to make the Anderson Mill exit around 8:00--had to pass it up and go for Lake Creek instead which was backed up even more. That accident on the other side looked awful.

teh_pwn

I should say there definitely are bad spots. The person I met tonight said that the overpass between 183/Mopac was icy.

If you're driving, stay on solid ground. Take Lamar/Burnet/whatever. The roads are fairly empty because people realize they lack skills and are staying in.

Also, clear your rearview mirrors before you start. Lots of freezing rain.

I found a route through a few neighborhoods that allowed me to avoid 183 on the way home. Good thing I did. News said there were a few bad accidents at Anderson Mill & 183. I ran into a few icy bridges and had to thaw out my windshield, but I made it home without any drama.

Be safe out there folks.

They've already closed most of the overpasses here in San Antonio. Of course, the 281/1604 interchange is about 200 feet high, so that was closed about 8pm.

Pastry

Banned
They've already closed most of the overpasses here in San Antonio. Of course, the 281/1604 interchange is about 200 feet high, so that was closed about 8pm.

I drove from UTSA to Alamo Heights (i10/410) at around 9:15, it was pretty bad out there and I could feel the ice in a couple spots. Nothing was closed yet though.

teh_pwn

Fuck I've noticed lights are flickering. I hope the freezing rain doesn't take out power. I imagine Austin is easily vulnerable to it because it's so rare.

Good thing I have 10 pounds of protein powder and water. I'll be able to weather the some 12 hours of no society. I. Will. Survive.

I drove from UTSA to Alamo Heights (i10/410) at around 9:15, it was pretty bad out there and I could feel the ice in a couple spots. Nothing was closed yet though.

Hope it stays that way! I'm over in Rogers Ranch area (bitters/1604) and there's some slight ice buildup. Trinity has moved back classes to 930 start time tomorrow but I think they're gonna fold tomorrow morning and cancel -- hopefully!

Pastry

Banned
Hope it stays that way! I'm over in Rogers Ranch area (bitters/1604) and there's some slight ice buildup. Trinity has moved back classes to 930 start time tomorrow but I think they're gonna fold tomorrow morning and cancel -- hopefully!

Heh I'm a Trinity graduate, in grad school at UTSA now. Back in '07 or '08 we had 3 (I think) straight days of no class due to ice. It was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom