• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh I'm a Trinity graduate, in grad school at UTSA now. Back in '07 or '08 we had 3 (I think) straight days of no class due to ice. It was awesome.

Ha, another Tiger! Awesome! Yeah, I remember that storm, was pretty nasty. Even the damn access roads were glazed over.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, where we have real weather, but when I drove home tonight at 8 PM, I had zero issues, other than scarping the ice off the car. It wasn't bad at all.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, where we have real weather, but when I drove home tonight at 8 PM, I had zero issues, other than scarping the ice off the car. It wasn't bad at all.

From TN. Same.

People just don't know the basics here, and that's enough to take a 0 risk drive into a deadly one.

1. Don't drive on Texas's ridiculous roller-coaster like overpasses. Those freeze first.
2. Drive slower.
3. There's something called black ice. It's invisible. Typically shows up on overpasses and underpasses first. Again drive slower.
4. If you lose traction, don't slam on your breaks. Tap, and steer to safety.

That's all I know, and I'm from fucking TN. I'm an amateur with this stuff.

Zoe

It's so hard to get to my part of town without going over an overpass. Apparently 2222 was perfectly fine, but then you've got all those sharp turns...

pirata

Walked to and from my radio show a little bit ago. I though my toes were going to fall off, and almost slipped several times. Be safe out there, kiddies!

teh_pwn

UT is closed and it's precipitating more snowish like stuff for 3-4 more hours on top of dry ice. So there's a chance.

I'd rather the weather go full Santorum or not happen at all. I'm going to be in a bitchy mood if work is at normal hours and there's a death trap commute.

UT is closed and it's precipitating more snowish like stuff for 3-4 more hours on top of dry ice. So there's a chance.

I'd rather the weather go full Santorum or not happen at all. I'm going to be in a bitchy mood if work is at normal hours and there's a death trap commute.

That's what I'm concerned about, I have both of my jobs tomorrow, so I have to get over to Fredericksburg Rd. then try to navigate towards Bandera/1604 during rush hour.. hopefully it'll have cleared up by then. I'm hoping people will still show up to our Smash Bros. tournament at the 2nd job..

Snow Day at UT! It's been like 3 years since the last one, during my freshman year lol.
Yea I had a snow day my first semester down at Texas State, but it was sunny hahaha.

Come to think of it, it was almost exactly this date that year. I was at an event out in Buda when that legendary black ice night hit in 2011. That was a fun drive back to SMTX.
01laugh.gif

Yea I had a snow day my first semester down at Texas State, but it was sunny hahaha.

Come to think of it, it was almost exactly this date that year. I was at an event out in Buda when that legendary black ice night hit in 2011. That was a fun drive back to SMTX.
01laugh.gif

When it hit in '11 I was home sick with the flu. My cat got to see snow for the first time in her life, it was cute. :)

I'm hoping ACC classes are canceled tomorrow as well, it would be perfect since I have a Psychology test tomorrow that I haven't studied for.

Since UT has canceled classes, surely ACC would do the same?

Meier

I'm hoping ACC classes are canceled tomorrow as well, it would be perfect since I have a Psychology test tomorrow that I haven't studied for.

Since UT has canceled classes, surely ACC would do the same?

Very high likelihood. The emergency alert said they were following AISD so I'm assuming schools at essentially all levels will be closed today.

Snow Day at UT! It's been like 3 years since the last one, during my freshman year lol.

That was a fun snowday. I went to the six pack with some friends, and we created makeshift sleds with garbage bins and slid down the stairs in front of the tower. Didn't head back to my appt in west campus until like 4am. Fun times. I graduated later that year so I'm not in Austin to enjoy this snow day.

Servbot24

Banned
I have the option to not come into work today. Combined with the fact I'm sick I may not. Depends how the bus lines are running I guess.

I drove in to work like a sucker. Freeways were fine to drive on, but getting off into side streets were slidey as hell. Enjoy your day off, folks.

What the fuck, trinity. Uiw high school is closed but we open at 930 ? Theyre directly across from us! My brethen at utsa and st marys are also screwed..

What the fuck, trinity. Uiw high school is closed but we open at 930 ? Theyre directly across from us! My brethen at utsa and st marys are also screwed..

Yeah, UIW is still opening late too, I'm glad I don't have class tonight or anything. I still have to go in to my 2nd job though :/

AkuMifune

Banned
I got into work and then they sent the email we can work from home. Efficiency!

But since I'm the only one basically here, maybe it's time to finally start Cowboy Bebop.

teh_pwn

Work open for normal hours! But my apartment complex, which has many employees that live on campus, is closed for noon because it's too dangerous. I can see the black ice coated with snow/sleet still now at nearly 10 AM in shade in the parking lot.

Good thing I have grand touring tires. Wish me luck.

SA: I saw a three car accident on the elevated section of 410 near Harry Wurzbach. The elevated highways still have a sheet of ice on them.

Incidently, I'm the only one in my office...

AkuMifune

Banned
How is it that GAF'ers were the only people stupid enough to go into work today?

Might and Magic X is just waiting for me! What a waste.

Besides the warehouse manager, I've been the only person at my office since 6:00am. :-(

People are starting to trickle in now, I guess a lot of people were stuck on 35 when they closed it off...

How is it that GAF'ers were the only people stupid enough to go into work today?

Might and Magic X is just waiting for me! What a waste.

LOL, I could've actually tried to make some headway on Wonderful 101.

People are starting to trickle in now, I guess a lot of people were stuck on 35 when they closed it off...

They closed 35? When did that happen? I drove in from Round Rock to downtown this morning at 6:30 AM with zero issues other than slow moving traffic. It really isn't that bad out there, although I admit some side streets are slick. Congress was just like a normal day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom