• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'm pretty frightened about this upcoming January and February. It was bone-chilling last year in north Austin, although it's a bit nicer here since I'm closer to the river.

Just an FYI out there for any of you who may be shopping for internet and channels:

If you recall my story from a few days back, ATT would not work with me to renogitiate my terms. Tried a third and final time this morning and got rejected again

TWC has an incredible offer for 12 months (particularly if you're up North. YMMV depending on location):

300 mbps. No throttling. No data cap.
200 channels including the three big guns (showtime, HBO and some other)
a landline phone (this may e the only inconvenience if you already have one but they can transfer phone number for you)

All for $144.00 a month tax and fees inclusive.

Alternatively, ATT was set to charge me $197 a month all inclusive for 300 channels and 18 mbps with 250 GB cap.

They wouldn't even extend me 100 mbps for any price here :(
Whoa, ATT has the nerve to cap in the Austin area?

Well, A-OK Chinese on south Lamar has shuttered. Kinda sad, my roommates and I had a huge takeout dinner from there a few weeks back and it was good enough, in our opinions.

But on the bright side, where A-OK was, Chi'lantro is replacing it with its own brick and mortar. This means I can get my bulgogi tacos and kimchi fries after work! :D

I'm sad that I don't post here often. But I wonder when another meet-up will be planned? I would love to join in.
We Austin-gaffers are a lazy crew.

Zoe

I think South Austin is in need of authentic Asian places, not just another American take on Chinese food.

I think South Austin is in need of authentic Asian places, not just another American take on Chinese food.
Just found it, today.

Sichuan River on West Gate Blvd. It used to be Tien Jin restaurant, but the A +A Sichuan people from up north took over the place. Holy shit, terrific authentic Sichuan food. Go check it out South-Austin GAF.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What are the best bars in town in terms of legit good beer selections? My wife and I stumbled upon The Brass Tap in Round Rock after visiting the actual Round Rock for which the city is named, and it left us thinking that nothing that we've been to in Austin comes close to that beer selection. Hilariously there's biergartens downtown like Easy Tiger that have a horrible IPA selection that I don't feel justify the spirit of biergartens. I got a couple of good suggestions from co-workers, but still the beer selection simply did not compare. Probably the best beer selection that I have seen in Austin is Blackstar Coop. And Flix Brewhouse > Alamo, come at me brah.

Timeaisis

Last year I was out of town, so this is going to be my first New Year's in Austin. Anything cool going down? It's my birthday the 1st as well, so I wanna do something either way.

Diablos

I'm from Pennsylvania, but this thread made me look up things about Texas, and while I've always known you had a lot... you have a fuckton of counties.

What do you want to do? We'll rally the troops. Zoe been looking for an excuse to finally meet us too. Plus your birthday falls on my Uncle's birthday so now I can call you Uncle Abed.
My plans for New Years Day are still up in the air. My wife and I were going to go for a hike at Pedernales, but the forecast is looking shitty. Let me know if you guys settle on something so I can update the OP.

Fellow Austinites, are there any local retailers here that sell japanese or pal region games? i am having a new nintendo 3ds imported from the middle east and wanted to check before bothering with play-asia and the like
Game over is probably it.

If you get a chance, head to their San Antonio store. They have the most import stuffs there.

I work at Piranha Killer, right in front of the convention center. But my last day is next Tuesday, I just got hired at the new JW Marriott as a chef there.

Zoe

I work at Piranha Killer, right in front of the convention center. But my last day is next Tuesday, I just got hired at the new JW Marriott as a chef there.
I've always been curious about that place (before moving on and going to Max's or Gus's instead), but looking at their menu it doesn't seem like a good place for someone like me who likes Japanese food but not sushi.

Do you know anything about Pacific Rim that took over the Dojo spot?

I've always been curious about that place (before moving on and going to Max's or Gus's instead), but looking at their menu it doesn't seem like a good place for someone like me who likes Japanese food but not sushi.
Good call. It's totally "white people sushi," which is a professional reason I'm leaving. Very trendy cutesy stuff which makes that spot a TON of money, but I don't love what I'm doing.

Mai Thai is really good, though. One of my Dojo boy's family runs that spot.
Do you know anything about Pacific Rim that took over the Dojo spot?
It's from the owner of Maiko. I know my boy was the head bartender at Dojo and the owner brought him on for his experience, so there will be a little continuity. I haven't gone there yet and I doubt the food will be as authentic/good as what Moto and I did, but I'll check it out.

I visited Austin last year and even in the couple of neighborhood areas I was in, it really seemed like a good foodie town. Lots of different cuisines and levels of cost, the restaurants were all lively; I was with my brother who is a professional chef and people were friendly and loved to talk with us about food. I had two of the best meals of my life there, at Swift's Attic and Franklin's.

WBZWzvV.jpg

That was a good drink, too. I wish I remembered what it was.

Zoe

Ramen Tatsuya at their new location! They just asked that nobody post about it until today.

They still have seats available for their soft opening. Details are on their Facebook page.

Quadratic

Hi guys. I'm coming to Austin before heading to PAX Prime on Tuesday Jan 20. Is Franklin's worth the wait in line in this weather (didn't think it would be in 40's in TX)? Anyone able to join me on a Wednesday for BBQ or tell m what's interesting to do? I'll be driving to San Antonio on Thursday.

Zoe

The good news is the forecast says 69 degrees for Tuesday. The bad news is good weather brings out lots of people to the line. The other good news is being a Tuesday there might not be as many people out there.

I hope the good weather lasts through the 25th for the 3M Half. Running last Sunday was not fun >_<

Quadratic

You know, I would just check the weather on any day you plan to wait outside. For me, personally, the freezing cold in the morning can be excruciatingly painful (as in joints and limbs hurt but that could be my age) as it is but if there's sun to be had and weather is forecast to be in 50s, I think you'll be fine. The weather also limits, really, any outdoor activity in town in my opinion but there are still plenty of cool bars and places to go to and listen to a local band or five.

If you find yourself up North in the 183 area, feel free to PM and I'll gladly meet you for a drink or hangout. Drive safely on icy highway from SA.

and if you can, skip SA altogether. ;P

I'm from Canada so cold really doesn't faze me much. It's been -22F in the Toronto last week with windchill. 50F is actually not that bad to be honest. I'll probably try Franklin's on Wednesday. Already followed the unofficial Franklin's line twitter account.

Trade the 4 hours you'll wait in line for Franklin's to get other just-as-good bbq and use the other time to explore the city.

Sorry, I just really dislike the cult of Franklin.

I'm down...what do you wanna do?

I wouldn't know, I'm bad at picking locations. Hah. What do you suggest?

Hi guys. I'm coming to Austin before heading to PAX Prime on Tuesday Jan 20. Is Franklin's worth the wait in line in this weather (didn't think it would be in 40's in TX)? Anyone able to join me on a Wednesday for BBQ or tell m what's interesting to do? I'll be driving to San Antonio on Thursday.

If I'm able to do so. I would love to join you, even with me living in Austin, there's still a lot of places I haven't been to. Franklin's is definitely a place I'd like to try.

You also have options aside from Franklin Micklethwaits right down the street i heard is good.

http://www.craftmeats.com/

Also you have Blacks on Lamar and one on Barton Springs. Legit Q right there son.

Any of the ones in the link should do you right.

So who is going to PAX as well? I will be there all 3 days.

Quadratic

If I'm able to do so. I would love to join you, even with me living in Austin, there's still a lot of places I haven't been to. Franklin's is definitely a place I'd like to try.

Cool. Send over a PM. I should have an American number assigned by tomorrow that you can reach me at.

I understand the sentiment of locals to avoid Franklins. I hope to try some other local places on Tuesday. Suggestions?

YOU GUYS THIS WEATHER

THIS WEATHER YOU GUYS

*~*~*

So I'm getting back into Magic: the Gathering, and once I get my stuff in the mail I'll probably start going to casuals/friendly tournaments here. I should probably cross-post but any of you guys play?

Also, Mettle brunch is so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom