• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Can you give us the star ratings for the 2014 class?

Is it true that Stooge grew up wanting to be a Something Awful mod but got recruited by them as a junior sysadmin?

St0oge was a former 5 star mod recruit, but had to sit out has Senior year due to injury. I thought it would hurt his stock being away from the forum for so long, but he got a surprise last minute offer. It's Not unlike coach Evilore to occasionally recruit posters considered "diamonds in the rough" like Amir0x and Mike Works. They don't always pan out, but I have a good feeling about Sto0ge and so does Evilore. Cornballer was always a GAF mod lean, due to his former teammate Cyan also being a mod for GAF, so he immediately accepted his offer and made his verbal well before signing day.

2015 looks like it will be Bama's year on the recruiting front. $9.95 for more info

Am I the only one who thinks Texas could do better? Not saying he is a bad hire tho

I wish they at least waited until next week so they could interview Fisher and Malzahn to throw them in the mix, but I guess they're perfectly content with Strong. We're giving him a reported $5million a year which is a fairly safe salary for Texas, but if he gets us back to 10+ wins in consecutive years I expect his salary to only go up from there. We would have needed to offer Saban/Harbaugh over $8mil from the get go by comparison.

edit: I also think we wanted a coach that had a chance to make his legacy exclusively at Texas. Even if Saban came here, the majority of his legacy would be with Alabama even if he did win a title or two at Texas. Strong is still relatively young and if he's successful here then he'll be forever etched in our history.

Draxal

Am I the only one who thinks Texas could do better? Not saying he is a bad hire tho

Honestly, don't think it was a good year to hire for a top tier program. I think Texas did better than USC, but if it was a different year they both would have done better.

edit. I have to agree with Perfect, Malzahn would have been the best bet (and I really think Chad Morris is going to be a great candidate in a couple of years).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm a little surprised more old school peeps aren't given it. Stooge had been around for awhile though so props to him! A lot of the newer mods outside this thread were pretty unknown to me.

I've never got a whiff about it. Ever. I've even spent decent amount of time on the non-existent irc channel. But then, I guess some understand that I'd probably go mad with power, or they hold incognito/LonestarSRT's actions against me :p

I am puzzled at the thought that GAF has a "mission", though.

It's a videogame forum with a healthy Off Topic side, that's been around since the boom of the internet, and made it through the bubble burst. Is it something more than that? Did I miss out on a 401k package?

----

About Texas and Saban, I know it's been said, but Saban and Mack are both 62. Going Younger should have always been the most obvious way to go.

cashman

Banned
I bet they really wanted Fisher or Briles, but didn't want to risk losing Strong to Miami once that job opened up, so they pulled the trigger now. I don't think they would have taken Mora Jr before Strong.

Malzahn would have been ideal but thats just bad timing.

i think this all proved they couldnt, strong was what 5th choice? maybe lower?

hope texas likes prevent defense, your gonna see a lot of it

This what the Louisville rivals board sounds like right now. They're "glad" he's gone, but really salty about it.

I bet they really wanted Fisher or Briles, but didn't want to risk losing Strong to Miami once that job opened up, so they pulled the trigger now. I don't think they would have taken Mora Jr before Strong.

Malzahn would have been ideal but thats just bad timing.

This what the Louisville rivals board sounds like right now. They're "glad" he's gone, but really salty about it.

i dont see how anything i have said can be construed as salty but sure

im guessing your of the belief that strong was first choice above saban ect?

also not "glad" he is gone, it sucks because this year especially moving to the ACC and losing Bridgewater one thing that we would have benefited greatly from is stability in coaching staff. I am however very excited about getting back to an offense minded coach and the names we are looking at. Sorry to disappoint anyone expecting some "meltdown" style rant from me.

also rivals is probably the worst barometer for judging Louisville fans. The majority there didn't want to fire kragthorpe even after 3 seasons without a bowl.

Reads like sour grapes, man. "We didn't want him anyway lol." I've been there too, I get it. :p

where are those words in my post? there not

i already mentioned that i wanted him another year, but expected if he stayed he would go to florida next year...is that somehow irrational? if so please enlighten me

i mentioned why i wanted him to stay another year, and gave a case for why I (and a lot of Texas fans apparently) think he isn't a great fit for the Texas job

and i also spoke to why im excited for our future based on who it looks like we are pursuing

i think in light of everything i have taken this wonderfully

Lonestar

Louisville guys have to understand the flipside in Strong's leaving. Leaving while the iron is hot. Louisville, in a new (and better) conference, minus the obvious best player, will have a dip in the record, and that could affect any future job possibilities, unless of course he wants to be there for his career.

Did Strong have any ties to the job, or was it his Alma mater?

He's going to a job that people were describing as being able to get Saban (post 3 championships at a top 5 all-time program) to leave and take the position. It's the unfortunate truth, but 99% of people jump at that. The 1% being the Peterson/Patterson ilk, who just don't want to leave, unless it's to Washington. Nothing can stop the Washington.

Hope this wasn't posted:

xcsc.gif

For what it's worth, Miami expects Golden to stay. Then again, I don't know of many schools that say "yeah, he gone."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...pects-al-golden-remain-miami-hurricanes-coach

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami expects Al Golden to stay with the Hurricanes, athletic director Blake James said Saturday in response to speculation that the football coach may be poised to leave for Penn State.

James says he has been in regular communication with Golden in recent days and believes he will remain at Miami. Golden played for Joe Paterno at Penn State and has emerged as a top candidate to replace Bill O'Brien, who resigned to take over as coach of the NFL's Houston Texans.

Golden met with Penn State officials Saturday, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

bachikarn

Can someone fill me in on why Strong wasn't picked for the HC position in Florida?

No one really knows. He looked bad as our interim HC against Miami in 2004 and was coming off a 7-6 season at Lousville in 2010. Also, he isn't a good interview and isn't good with the political part of being a HC. Muschamp on the other hand is a GREAT salesman. Also read something about a "big time booster" not liking Strong, but on the flip side, Machen wanted to hire Strong.

Should have taken Strong if we are going to take a risk on guy with no HC experience.

Winston wants UCF to decide the state championship.

Ball is in FSU's court to make a fair series happen. Either a home/home, home/home/neutral or just a single neutral game.

UCF has tried to schedule FSU but they wanted unfair terms.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
For what it's worth, Miami expects Golden to stay. Then again, I don't know of many schools that say "yeah, he gone."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...pects-al-golden-remain-miami-hurricanes-coach

DIdn't ESPN report Strong was staying in L'ville tho? This could work out in our favor next year. Lots of teams in the Coastal are either replacing leaving players, coaches or trending downward (VT, GT) so the division could be decided by two basketball schools. This is how it ought to be, honestly.

Won't matter as either FSU or possibly Clemson will kill the winner.

UCF QB Blake Bortles - he gone. Got a 1st round draft evaluation and frankly, it makes little sense for him to stay given that information. He'll very likely go top 5 or 10.

Now begins the Holman/DiNovo/Harris era. Should be a good competition. Holman has some game experience courtesy of garbage time play, DiNovo redshirted and Harris is a January enrollee.

Draxal

PSU rivals board is in a state of civil war right now. The users are pissed off at the owners/board mod for saying that Golden took the job.

Sad thing is that they're pretty quick to ban and delete any posts that are critical.

Kevtones

DAT :(

Thought the way the season went he might have come back. Hope he succeeds. Aside from that Rose Bowl comment (which deserved better contextual support from the media), he was a classy kid and all-around GREAT team-guy. Wish him the best of luck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Considering Bill O'Brien likes QB's with his measurables, I imagine you should hope he does suck

Meh, Houston is the least of our worries as a team. If they take Bortles, then I hope Teddy doesn't suck.

And i definitely hope we don't go brain dead and choose Manziel.

Lonestar

just 1 minute left for Ark State to drive the field and score a TD, into a huge gust of wind to boot.

Lonestar

totally on the ball state kickoff earlier. THey had the wind at their back, and it barely got to te 30 yard line, returned to midfield

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
How shitty is going to a game at Nevada? We play down there this year and it's mega cheap to get down there so I'll probably go. Is Reno really that shitty?

Wow. late hit gets them in FG range with 2 seconds to go. huge

How shitty is going to a game at Nevada? We play down there this year and it's mega cheap to get down there so I'll probably go. Is Reno really that shitty?

I went to Reno once back when I was 16 years old. It gets an unfairly negative reputation I think. Besides, its just a 30 minute drive to Tahoe.

Top Bottom