• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

impirius

BdT9p_VCIAAvCCf.jpg:large
He has what Saban and Fisher don't: advertising synergy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Really happy with the Strong hire. He is who I was screaming to hire drunkanly at 2AM after Texas lost to BYU.

So I should be pretty happy about it. Interested to see what staff he builds here. Should have a decent team next season. Lots of questions on defense, but the O should be ok (well, other than the fact that we don't have a QB, but I consider anyone an upgrade over Herp Derp).

Hope for 8 or 9 wins and a decent bowl game.

cashman

Banned
Really happy with the Strong hire. He is who I was screaming to hire drunkanly at 2AM after Texas lost to BYU.

So I should be pretty happy about it. Interested to see what staff he builds here. Should have a decent team next season. Lots of questions on defense, but the O should be ok (well, other than the fact that we don't have a QB, but I consider anyone an upgrade over Herp Derp).

Hope for 8 or 9 wins and a decent bowl game.

Ash is coming back, and with him they should get to 9 wins.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ash is coming back, and with him they should get to 9 wins.

I hope so. I don't see him finishing the season, and if I were his parents (several head injuries, no future in the sport as a pro) I would probably tell him to hit the books and leave football behind.

Swoops has an arm and good straightline speed. If he can be coached up to not look like a dear in headlights he seems an upgrade to the lesser McCoy.

I hope so. I don't see him finishing the season, and if I were his parents (several head injuries, no future in the sport as a pro) I would probably tell him to hit the books and leave football behind.

Swoops has an arm and good straightline speed. If he can be coached up to not look like a dear in headlights he seems an upgrade to the lesser McCoy.

Too bad Mack burned Swoopes redshirt for garbage snaps. Oh well, there's a chance after Ash is done, Jerrod Heard will beat Swoopes out of the starting job anyway. I know it's kind of silly to talk about a future QB that wont be on campus until June, but we've started true freshmen at QB before. ( Last one was David Ash )

Silkworm

Final coaching hire for UF is the OL coach, Mike Summers, previously from USC.
gatorsports.com

Finally, all the hiring is done. Now time to get all those potential recruits and start planing for a more successful 2014 campaign! Go Gators! :)

He was getting over $4m a year already if you can believe it. I think Louisville will probably bring in a pretty good replacement.

Damn so he took an inherently riskier job and only got a ~20% pay raise? Not to mention relocation for his family. He must have really wanted to coach for Texas

Silkworm

Interesting, I thought I'd read the UCF OL coach was expected to get the job.

I take back all the negative stuff I've said about JFF: http://instagram.com/p/i1WKFCiMzd
Don't worry, Manziel will probably take a crack at FSU tonight and you can go back to hating him :-D

Edit: Oh and the recent speculation I was hearing was that UF was aiming at Texas's OL coah, Searels as well. Just glad the hiring is over so the recruits know who's on the staff and decide accordingly.

Silkworm

What's revealing there is that Iowa is paying a coach 3.8. Sixth best, as of the time of that article.

Well, Ferentz isn't exactly a slouch of a coach. Then again that's a lot of money for a somewhat middle of the pack B10 school, but college football ain't cheap. Besides Iowa football is probably the biggest attraction in that state (I could be wrong about that though -- feel free to correct me any more knowledgeable Iowains).

At Louisville? Are you sure?
UL has a pretty massive athletics budget. Competes with any big name program.

As for the UF OLine position, I heard Key from UCF also. But it appears he ultimately chose not to interview. Which is a big relief. He would be a massive loss....

Silkworm

UL has a pretty massive athletics budget. Competes with any big name program.

As for the UF OLine position, I heard Key from UCF also. But it appears he ultimately chose not to interview. Which is a big relief. He would be a massive loss....
Any word on Bortles? Think he'll come back to UCF next year?

Edit: Nevermind just read he declared for the NFL draft. Good luck on next year, UCF (hopefully you guys got someone in the pipeline to replace Bortles) :)

Edit2: Ouch! Just read Storm Johnson is leaving early too. Maybe that was expected? *shrug* Anyways, at least the staff seems to be intact for next season so that should help.

Any word on Bortles? Think he'll come back to UCF next year?

Edit: Nevermind just read he declared for the NFL draft. Good luck on next year, UCF (hopefully you guys got someone in the pipeline to replace Bortles) :)

Edit2: Ouch! Just read Storm Johnson is leaving early too. Maybe that was expected? *shrug* Anyways, at least the staff seems to be intact for next season so that should help.
Yeah Storm announced the same day. It has been kind of expected. He stepped up big in big games such as Baylor, UL, and Penn St so he will be missed. But we have William Stanback and a couple other solid players ready to step up.

As for QB, it will be a competition between 3 people. Justin Holman has some snaps in game this season and is now a sophomore. Pete DiNovo was redshirted and a 3rd in Tyler Harris who enrolled today. All have good size, can run and have arms. It will be interesting to see how things unfold. O'Leary will name the starter in the spring.

We also lose 3 offensive linemen. But we've had good depth there. Depends if the new guys can play together. Defense will actually likely be better than this season, so that should help compensate for losing some of the offensive firepower.

cdyhybrid

So I have FSU in a laughter.

Anybody else?

Don't you live in SEC country? You should know better.

PAAAWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLL! HOW ARE THEY GONNA PICK AN AYE SEE SEE TEAM OVER THEM AUBURN TIGERS?

Edit:

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 1m
Only one freshman or sophomore starting QB has won a #BCS National Championship Game- AJ McCarron of Alabama

Talon

Don't you live in SEC country? You should know better.

PAAAWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLL! HOW ARE THEY GONNA PICK AN AYE SEE SEE TEAM OVER THEM AUBURN TIGERS?

Edit:

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 1m
Only one freshman or sophomore starting QB has won a #BCS National Championship Game- AJ McCarron of Alabama
Homey, I'm in Chi and Ann Arbor.

Silkworm

Yeah Storm announced the same day. It has been kind of expected. He stepped up big in big games such as Baylor, UL, and Penn St so he will be missed. But we have William Stanback and a couple other solid players ready to step up.

As for QB, it will be a competition between 3 people. Justin Holman has some snaps in game this season and is now a sophomore. Pete DiNovo was redshirted and a 3rd in Tyler Harris who enrolled today. All have good size, can run and have arms. It will be interesting to see how things unfold. O'Leary will name the starter in the spring.

We also lose 3 offensive linemen. But we've had good depth there. Depends if the new guys can play together. Defense will actually likely be better than this season, so that should help compensate for losing some of the offensive firepower.

Ah, good to hear. It seems like the AAC conference is really between UCF and UL (maybe Cincinnati or Houston could be dangerous but I'm not too sure about that). Both schools have lost there starting QB's and UL lost Strong so it seems like the fight for the conference should still be up for grabs between those two, UCF and UL.

Pimpwerx

Are the points still 8.5? I can't believe it hasn't gone up. Noles are gonna rock and/or roll these clowns. SEC's reign of terror is coming to an end. PEACE.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
gatorsports.com

Finally, all the hiring is done. Now time to get all those potential recruits and start planing for a more successful 2014 campaign! Go Gators! :)

So they weren't able to poach Latina, thank god. There were rumors he was going with Roper, and we'd really be fucked. Our line play this year and especially the running game has been most un-Duke-like this season. I want it to continue.

Meier

Yep, though I think he rounded. Charlie got $3.7 + incentives link
I knew it was around $4m. It looks like making a bowl brought it over that mark so it was essentially guaranteed every year. I was a little surprised at his deal being so "low" given the circumstances.

gatorsports.com

he was Louisville's OL coach during Petrino years, very highly spoken of and did a great job with our line

Ah, good to hear. It seems like the AAC conference is really between UCF and UL (maybe Cincinnati or Houston could be dangerous but I'm not too sure about that). Both schools have lost there starting QB's and UL lost Strong so it seems like the fight for the conference should still be up for grabs between those two, UCF and UL.
UL is off to the ACC.

Houston, UCF, Cinci and ECU should all compete for the title.

OOC we play Penn St, FIU, Mizzou and BYU so we'll know pretty quick what the team is capable of.

Silkworm

he was Louisville's OL coach during Petrino years, very highly spoken of and did a great job with our line

Yeah, he was also an OL coach with Kentucky when Joker Phillips was there who is currently the receivers coach at UF. I like the hire though it honestly all depends on what the product on the field looks like :)

Silkworm

UL is off to the ACC.

Houston, UCF, Cinci and ECU should all compete for the title.

OOC we play Penn St, FIU, Mizzou and BYU so we'll know pretty quick what the team is capable of.

Ooops! I can't keep track. I sort of root for Tulsa which is my father's alma mater and they're still in C-USA (they had some good battles for the conference championship with UCF back in the day). Then some schools left the C-USA to make the AAC and now UL is going to the ACC. Hopefully these conference realignments slow down so I can keep track of things better! :-D

Ooops! I can't keep track. I sort of root for Tulsa which is my father's alma mater and they're still in C-USA (they had some good battles for the conference championship with UCF back in the day). Then some schools left the C-USA to make the AAC and now UL is going to the ACC. Hopefully these conference realignments slow down so I can keep track of things better! :-D
Yeah it got a little ridiculous over the past few years.

And remember Tulsa is also leaving CUSA for the AAC. So they are conference mates once more!

2014 AAC
UCF
USF
Temple
Cincinnati
UConn
ECU
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
Houston

2015 will see the addition of Navy and the conference championship.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
finally got around to listening to some of Strong's PC from earlier. Don't think I've actually heard anything from him ever.

He's as bad as some of ya'll were saying. Sounded like I got up there and was talking to the cameras.

Silkworm

Yeah it got a little ridiculous over the past few years.

And remember Tulsa is also leaving CUSA for the AAC. So they are conference mates once more!

2014 AAC
UCF
USF
Tulsa
Cincinnati
UConn
ECU
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
Houston

2015 will see the addition of Navy and the conference championship.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. C-USA looks totally different now and I'm glad Tulsa is joining the AAC since the AAC looks more like C-USA of yesteryear. I also imagine that the AAC will have a higher SoS vs. C-USA though I suppose C-USA might not be done changing either :-D Glad the SEC seems to have slowed down after the additions of Missouri and TA&M, though I'm sure they'll add another 2 teams sometime in the next few years :-\

Edit: BTW is UConn definitely staying with the AAC? I remember rumblings of UConn going to ACC at one point but maybe that's been shelved.

Ahhh get Timmay off my screen please.
Now the balance of power has shifted. Two UF QBs on ESPN (Tebow and Palmer) to one FSU QB (Kanell). Time for Ward to join ESPN to even things out? ;-)

Top Bottom