• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Gurrry

So who do Texas fans want (besides Saban)?

Lifetime Longhorn here.

Mack has been around for a very long time. He did things the right way. The classy way. Hes a very genuine and humble human being. Ill thank him until eternity for what he did to bring the program back to dominance.

Unfortunately, with anyone who does the same job for 16 years, he got complacent. By allowing the past 4 years of mediocrity to be a giant stain on the legacy he once held.

Hes a great coach and brought me and other Texas fans some of the best memories we have ever had.

Having said that, I am happy he decided to call it quits. Its time for change here in Austin. We need a new face, a new brand of energy that the younger generation can rally behind.

Some of my candidates would be Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, Charlie Strong, Mike Gundy, and possibly even Art Briles.

Texas is one of the top 3 premier jobs in the coaching world. When they call you, you have to answer. There isnt a coach out there that wont take that phone call. That INCLUDES Saban (even though he was never going to leave Bama).

Who ever we get, I hope its someone full of energy that understands that there needs to be a culture change here in Austin.

Thank you for 12 great years Mack (I choose to forget the last 4).

Hook Em.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Lifetime Longhorn here.

Mack has been around for a very long time. He did things the right way. The classy way. Hes a very genuine and humble human being. Ill thank him until eternity for what he did to bring the program back to dominance.

Unfortunately, with anyone who does the same job for 16 years, he got complacent. By allowing the past 4 years of mediocrity to be a giant stain on the legacy he once held.

Hes a great coach and brought me and other Texas fans some of the best memories we have ever had.

Having said that, I am happy he decided to call it quits. Its time for change here in Austin. We need a new face, a new brand of energy that the younger generation can rally behind.

Some of my candidates would be Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, Charlie Strong, Mike Gundy, and possibly even Art Briles.

Texas is one of the top 3 premier jobs in the coaching world. When they call you, you have to answer. There isnt a coach out there that wont take that phone call. That INCLUDES Saban (even though he was never going to leave Bama).

Who ever we get, I hope its someone full of energy that understands that there needs to be a culture change here in Austin.

Hook Em.
Yep, you're a Longhorn fan.

I don't know, I've wondered what's so darn special about Texas. They haven't been lighting it up. In terms of winning, it's already behind Oklahoma before you even make it out of the Big XII. It seems like the only school with a more over-inflated sense of self worth is Michigan.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
What is that supposed to mean?

edit: didnt see your bolded part.

You mind telling me 3 better jobs than Texas?

Give me 3 reasons why Texas is so great? Its touted as the best job in CFB, there's money galore, talent out of the woodwork, Austin is the best place ever to live....

And yet, despite that, I'm not sure Texas is really an elite level job. How many national championships do they have? For all the talent they have access too, they still get outrecruited all the time by other teams. In terms of perception, I think Oklahoma may be a more elite program. People say this about their basketball program all the time, and while they have good teams, they are seldom if ever great. If this seems a bit antagonistic, I apologize, but I'd love for someone to justify how great the Texas job is beyond money and Austin is weird.

EDIT: Randolph readin my mind n some shit

andycapps

I don't know, I've wondered what's so darn special about Texas. They haven't been lighting it up. In terms of winning, it's already behind the Oklahoma before you even make it out of the Big XII. It seems like the only school with a more over-inflated sense of self worth is Michigan.
You're forgetting how many top recruits come out of Texas. And that Texas is where most of them grow up wanting to go. And that Texas has a ton of money to support their programs.

Gurrry

I don't know, I've wondered what's so darn special about Texas. They haven't been lighting it up. In terms of winning, it's already behind the Oklahoma before you even make it out of the Big XII. It seems like the only school with a more over-inflated sense of self worth is Michigan.

Texas is the hottest recruiting bed in the country. Its reagents and donors are easily the richest in the nation. When you have a coach that can capitalize on its recruits and have success here, youre talking about a combination that can not be beaten. There is no pro team here in Austin. The Longhorns ARE that professional franchise here.

With what was considered by many of the closest fans to be one of the worst teams in the Mack Brown era, we were still one game away from getting a Big 12 title this year.

From the time Mack got here, until 2010, we were a 10 win a year program. With 2 national championship appearances and several BCS and other bowl wins.

Time after time, Texas reigns supreme as the top grossing revenue school in the country.

From the outside looking in, it may seem as though Texas is "over inflated". But I guarantee you that any coach out there understands the power this university holds when it comes to football.

I'm not a Texas fan, but I honestly can't think of a better college job. The fanbase, the money, the history, the recruiting base. You can win a national championship at a lot of different schools, but at Texas it's almost like you have a headstart. It's a better job than Alabama, Florida, Florida State, USC, UCLA, and Ohio State.

You're forgetting how many top recruits come out of Texas. And that Texas is where most of them grow up wanting to go. And that Texas has a ton of money to support their programs.

That's nice. But it hasn't translated onto the field, and it's not a historically dominant program, at least not in my lifetime. Much of its glory is in the distant past. Not quite as far past as Michigan's, but they weren't winning or competing for national titles for decades before Mack Brown got there.

squicken

Give me 3 reasons why Texas is so great?t

1. Robert Griffin III
2. Johnny Manziel
3. Jameis Winston

Last three Heisman winners all wanted to go to UT. No Swag-copters needed or money under the table. They can have the best players without really trying.

TylerD

Shocked that Winston won. Shocked I say!

The live breakdown of the results right after the announcement is fucking stupid.

That's nice. But it hasn't translated onto the field, and it's not a historically dominant program, at least not in my lifetime. Much of its glory is in the distant past. Not quite as far past as Michigan's, but they weren't winning or competing for national titles for decades before Mack Brown got there.

And yet the last three Heisman winners(famous jameis included) all wanted to go to UT. Texas is just on a different level. They've won a natty more recently than OSU, which is the only program even close to Texas IMO.

Gurrry

Thats because Mack has followed a formula that didnt include getting the best in the state. Instead, he became a politician who allowed his coordinators to do all of the work. He has been checked out since the loss to Bama in 2009.

Two of the best college QB's in the last year have both stated multiple times that they wanted to come to Texas over their current school. (Winston and Manziel).

Mack put all of his eggs into the Garrett Gilbert basket and it set the program behind several years. You cant blame him for recruiting the kid. He was the undisputed #1 QB coming out of High School. He just didnt pan out the way everyone thought he would.

Mack under coaches. He never got all he could out of his players. Some of the many reasons that we here in Austin have been calling for his head ever since 2010.

When you allow a hungry new young coach to come in to the hottest recruiting bed in the country, youre talking about a recipe built for success.

25% of the current NFL QB's are from the state of Texas. CFB is a sport that relies heavily on that position. If Winston or Manziel come here, you would have a very different perception on how great Texas is.

Unfortunately, Mack didnt do his job. And thats why he is gone.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lifetime Longhorn here.

Hook Em.
Usually we don't get new lifelongs showing up in these threads until their team is in the top 10 or something like that. I guess Mack Brown finally leaving is the UT equivalent?

cashman

Banned
You can add Jadaveon Clowney to the list of people who wanted to go to Texas, but were never recruited by Mack Brown.

Gurrry

Usually we don't get new lifelongs showing up in these threads until their team is in the top 10 or something like that. I guess Mack Brown finally leaving is the UT equivalent?

I usually dont come to Neogaf to discuss sports. I have other boards that I use to participate in those conversations.

But yes, I guess you could say that this is big enough news to be spreading the wealth for.

not a historically dominant program, at least not in my lifetime

1998 9–3–0
1999 9–5–0
2000 9–3–0
2001 11–2–0
2002 11–2–0
2003 10–3–0
2004 11–1–0 (Rose Bowl)
2005 13–0–0 (National Championship)
2006 10–3–0
2007 10–3–0
2008 12–1–0 (Fiesta Bowl) (one freak play by Michael Crabtree away from another NC)
2009 13–1–0 (National Championship)

Yeah, id say thats pretty dominant.

mre

You can add Jadaveon Clowney to the list of people who wanted to go to Texas, but were never recruited by Mack Brown.
Why don't we just add every recruit ever to that list? Because clearly the only reason why players elect not to go to Texas is because they were never recruited there at all.

Meier

Clowney is like Winston. Even if he ever said anything publicly about UT (not sure if he did or not), he was never going to go there. It was SCAR/Clemson the entire time. With Winston, it was Bama/FSU the entire time. Kids say stuff like Winston did every year but it's rarely true.

Texas fans who want a Harbaugh are delusional

I don't think so. A couple disappointing seasons, a few bad drafts, and any NFL coach can be out of a job. I think it's much easier to succeed at Texas. Add in the fact that it'd probably come with a pay raise, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them jumped.

I don't know why any quality NFL coach would ever willingly go down to college and have to deal with recruiting. It seems like something you'd have to be wired to do.

Gurrry

I don't know why any quality NFL coach would ever willingly go down to college and have to deal with recruiting. It seems like something you'd have to be wired to do.

07saban-pic-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Saban says hello

squicken

Clowney is like Winston. Even if he ever said anything publicly about UT (not sure if he did or not), he was never going to go there. It was SCAR/Clemson the entire time. With Winston, it was Bama/FSU the entire time. Kids say stuff like Winston did every year but it's rarely true.

I don't think this is true. I can't recall too many instances of kids saying they would have gone to another school besides the ones who said they wanted to go to Texas

cashman

Banned
Why don't we just add every recruit ever to that list? Because clearly the only reason why players elect not to go to Texas is because they were never recruited there at all.

It really does seem that way.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ootball-prospect-exclusive-inside-look-021411
Despite growing up in Gamecocks country, Clowney was a Texas fan, idolizing Longhorns stars such as Ricky Williams and Vince Young. Texas never recruited him, but he said he would have taken an official visit there if he had ever heard from the Longhorns

And you can add Trenton Richardson to that list

I talked to Alabama running back Trent Richardson after the Doak Walker Awards banquet Saturday night at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas and we got to talking about the Texas-Alabama national championship game.

He said Texas was his favorite team growing up and he had interest in going there as a five-star recruit out of Escambia High School in Pensacola. But the Longhorns told him they had a committment from Chris Whaley of Class 3A Madisonville and they were taking only on running back in that class

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...orite-school-growing-up-but-the-longhorn.html

mre

Yep, every recruit wants to go to Texas. Mack was just too lazy to have have his staff stamp his name on a mass distributed letter to every recruit in the country or he would have had his pick of 'em. Damn his lazy ass.

I don't think this is true. I can't recall too many instances of kids saying they would have gone to another school besides the ones who said they wanted to go to Texas

In college basketball, I hear it all the time. Just for Duke, Jason Williams (1999-2002) wanted to go to North Carolina. Williams has said it frequently, saying he was told by Bill Guthridge (UNC coach at the time) that he wasn't good enough. Grant Hill (1990-1994) wanted to go to Georgetown, but felt insulted by their academic advisor. There's more players, past and present, on Duke that wanted to go to UNC, but their precise stories escape me at the moment.

Top Bottom