• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

07saban-pic-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Saban says hello

Lol

He ran back to the college game after failing in Miami. Just like Petrino did with Atlanta.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Listing these great players who supposedly wanted to go to Texas, yet succeeded despite not going to Texas, isn't exactly reinforcing my opinion that Texas is that great. it is making me think that they are superfluous.

1998 9–3–0
1999 9–5–0
2000 9–3–0
2001 11–2–0
2002 11–2–0
2003 10–3–0
2004 11–1–0 (Rose Bowl)
2005 13–0–0 (National Championship)
2006 10–3–0
2007 10–3–0
2008 12–1–0 (Fiesta Bowl) (one freak play by Michael Crabtree away from another NC)
2009 13–1–0 (National Championship)

Yeah, id say thats pretty dominant.

What? No. Just no. Don't get me wrong, that's good. That national title is greatness, those 1 loss seasons are exemplary. But that's not dominant. Florida State had 14 consecutive seasons from 1987 to 2000 finishing in the top 5, 2 national titles, 8 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, no seasons with more than 2 losses. And that wasn't dominant, either.

cashman

Banned
Listing these great players who supposedly wanted to go to Texas, yet succeeded despite not going to Texas, isn't exactly reinforcing my opinion that Texas is that great. it is making me think that they are superfluous.

I don't know what you're trying to say. There's no inherent quality of Texas that suddenly turns players great.

What? No. Just no. Don't get me wrong, that's good. That national title is greatness, those 1 loss seasons are exemplary. But that's not dominant. Florida State had 14 consecutive seasons from 1987 to 2000 finishing in the top 5, 2 national titles, 8 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, no seasons with more than 2 losses. And that wasn't dominant, either.
If that isn't dominant, then I don't know what is.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

They also didn't win the 2009 MNC either

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't know what you're trying to say. There's no inherent quality of Texas that suddenly turns players great.

Right, so saying Jameis Winston, Manziel or anyone else wanted to go to Texas, doesn't make Texas inherently good either.

What's do you consider dominant?

cashman

Banned
Right, so saying Jameis Winston, Manziel or anyone else wanted to go to Texas, doesn't make them inherently good either.

Just because players are successful at other schools doesn't make Texas not a good school. By that logic every school sucks!

What's do you consider dominant?

That was a streak of excellence. But during that streak, multiple schools won more national titles than Florida State did. Just over those years, Miami and Nebraska each won 3. Florida State did lose 3 national championship games during that streak, and they had those missed opportunities versus Miami that tripped them up, so they had their chances. Florida State was consistently great.

And truth be told, since I'm a fan of their program, I don't want to be in danger of overstating what they accomplished just because of perhaps lacking perspective. I'd rather understate it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just because players are successful at other schools doesn't make Texas not a good school. By that logic every school sucks!

Thats not my point, both you and some other Longhorn poster claimed Texas football supremecy because of the huge recruiting pool and talent and then namedrop a bunch of great college players that supposedly wanted to go to Texas, yet didn't go to Texas as some sort of validation of how great Texas is. That doesn't make any sense. Look, both LeBron and Kobe have been quoted as saying that they would have played for Coach K at Duke had they gone to college (and they listed others like UNC, UK and Ohio State, depending on who's hot) but they didn't go to Duke and no Duke fan counts them as validation of the program. Who cares if Winston wanted to go to Texas? He didn't go there. It means nothing.

I'm not a Texas fan, but I honestly can't think of a better college job. The fanbase, the money, the history, the recruiting base. You can win a national championship at a lot of different schools, but at Texas it's almost like you have a headstart. It's a better job than Alabama, Florida, Florida State, USC, UCLA, and Ohio State.

Texas is in no way a better job that USC.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That was a streak of excellence. But during that streak, multiple schools won more national titles than Florida State did. Just over those years, Miami and Nebraska each won 3. Florida State did lose 3 national championship games during that streak, and they had those missed opportunities versus Miami that tripped them up, so they had their chances. Florida State was consistently great.

And truth be told, since I'm a fan of their program, I don't want to be in danger of overstating what they accomplished just because of perhaps lacking perspective. I'd rather understate it.

FSU was as dominant during the 90s as any modern college football program. There hasn't been a UCLA Basketball dynasty in college football. What have been the best runs in the modern era? Bear Bama, Saban Bama, Miami, Nebraska, FSU, USC? None ultra dominant over a huge span like UCLA bball. I love it that way, I hate one team dominating for so long. Bama is getting boring. Just like Carroll's USC did and Florida was under Urbow.

Enfinit

Can someone explain to me why Texas is any coach's "dream job"? Is it because they make a shit ton of money and have a huge fan base? That's it?

Enfinit

And a huge recruiting base. Texas is a job where you can succeed.

I mean, with enough ambition and hard work, you can succeed at any job! Just ask Pat Fitzgerald!

If you want the best chance to succeed Texas is the school on the top of your list. Pretty simple.
So... it's a cakewalk, because everything's already provided for you?

It's the flagship university of Texas for football.
If Varsity Blues has taught me anything, it's that high school football is the only football that matters in Texas.

Jhriad

Can someone explain to me why Texas is any coach's "dream job"? Is it because they make a shit ton of money and have a huge fan base? That's it?

If you want the best chance to succeed Texas is the school on the top of your list. Pretty simple.

And a huge recruiting base. Texas is a job where you can succeed.

Thats basically what it comes down to. One of the most difficult jobs in the country was Boise States, and I'm surprised Peterson stayed there as long as he did. He should do very very well at Washington

Jhriad

So... it's a cakewalk, because everything's already provided for you?

Nothing is a cakewalk in College Football but it's definitely a job that smooths the bumps out. It gives you the best opportunity to succeed. That's not a guarantee.

Talon

You're held to different standards at the old powers like Texas, SC, Oklahoma, and Alabama because they have such vast resources at their disposal - they're the flagship universities in their respective, football-rich states with some decent history to boot.

Osborne's Nebraska teams were a vast aberration, and I feel like is much more impressive to boot.

You're held to different standards at the old powers like Texas, SC, Oklahoma, and Alabama because they have such vast resources at their disposal - they're the flagship universities in their respective, football-rich states with some decent history to boot.

Osborne's Nebraska teams were a vast aberration, and I feel like is much more impressive to boot.

I would love for Nebraska to reach those levels again, even though I'm a MSU fan. I just remember how great those Nebraska teams were when I was a kid. And Colorado. How did they fall off the face of the Earth?

Talon

If Georgia DBs just batted the ball down or 'Bama thought to have their field goal team spread out a bit (or Auburn failed to put somebody back to receive the kick in the first place) those two games were flat out over.
Bama - Auburn would've gone to OT, holmes. They were tied.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bama - Auburn would've gone to OT, holmes. They were tied.

Realized that after I posted, but clearly decided to drop the entire post anyway and you just caught me before the edit. Decided that arguing with a newborn lifelong wasn't worth the effort.

squicken

Saw Todd Graham as a potential candidate. No way they get in bed with that guy. I've seen a couple of people say Saban and even Urban Meyer are in play, but no one was going to put his name out there and make it look like they were responsible for forcing out Mack

Or Mack held on until Saban signed his deal b/c he didn't want to be followed by Saban, or that Mack wanted to screw Chip Brown. I choose to believe all the rumors, especially the ones that conflict with each other! It's all over once Texas gets a good coach. They'll have a MNC within 3 years

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Saw Todd Graham as a potential candidate. No way they get in bed with that guy. I've seen a couple of people say Saban and even Urban Meyer are in play, but no one was going to put his name out there and make it look like they were responsible for forcing out Mack

Or Mack held on until Saban signed his deal b/c he didn't want to be followed by Saban, or that Mack wanted to screw Chip Brown. I choose to believe all the rumors, especially the ones that conflict with each other! It's all over once Texas gets a good coach. They'll have a MNC within 3 years

Literally every coach of a top 25 program has been stated as a potential candidate, as well as half the NFL coaches and a quarter of NBA coaches.

Limedust

Since MB(TF®) is going to be a "Special Advisor" to the UT Prez for then next 6 years+, what are the chances one of his old buddies gets the job? I mean... Gerg did a great turn-around with Manny's defense this season.

mcgruber

Winston making a crack about being allowed to touch something with permission.

He really is a scumbag.

Didn't watch it. What's this a reference to?

And when did jameis say he wanted to go to texas? I thought it came down to playing baseball and football and only Bama or fsu allowed that?

Top Bottom