• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

jakncoke

Banned
Should of switched Michigan :|

Also, so is hiryu just picking as he goes because his max points went from 141 to 282 since I last looked at our page. What a paper champion.

Draxal

So what is the plan for PSU if O'Brien is gone?

I was looking forward to the O'Leary vs. O'Brien bowl in Ireland next year.

Rumors said they're going after Schiano right now ... but I really doubt it. If I were them it would be Franklin (I'd go super hard after him) and then Munchak.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
3rd most losses in a season and gets to keep his job. Expectations sure have fallen down there!

Having one of the most catastrophic seasons in history when it comes to injuries helps, but that seems to point to S&C problems, which would still fall under the purview of the hc.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Having one of the most catastrophic seasons in history when it comes to injuries helps, but that seems to point to S&C problems, which would still fall under the purview of the hc.

I don't have info on all the types of injuries, but I remember some knee injuries, and those can't be "S&C" protected at all.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Rise and grind cfb GAF. Headed to Nashville for a good old fashioned mid afternoon Monday bowl game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Holiday Bowl today! Looking forward to staying up until 1 am to see my team lose by double digits.

Not that I don't think they have a chance, just being realistic.

Draxal

Schiano fired from TB.

Penn State Inc?

I don't think Penn State is as stupid as Rutgers is (obviously tossing aside the scandal). I'd take Schiano over Flood though asap. Not that I think Schiano is a great coach, I think he's mediocre, but mediocre is >>>>>>>>>>> Flood.

jakncoke

Banned
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Said yesterday Penn St was preparing for a big push to hire Greg Schiano, as they expect Bill O’Brien to leave. Nothing stopping them now.

:(

I'm perplexed at O'Brien. Call me old fashioned, but you don't just leave Penn State after two years. It's not a stepping stone to something better, it is the something better.

Draxal

I'm perplexed at O'Brien. Call me old fashioned, but you don't just leave Penn State after two years. It's not a stepping stone to something better, it is the something better.

There's probably two jobs that are NFL caliber (texas/usc) with Florida being close just due to the complete dominance over their natural recruiting grounds. Schools like Bama, Oklahoma are really really good jobs, but their competiton is strong.

Recruiting sucks alot, you don't understand how much time these coaches spend on recruiting, and it's the reason you see coaches go to NFL all the time (and flame out because dealing with college kids is alot different than dealing with NFL stars); is because they like to coach and not recruit.

There's probably two jobs that are NFL caliber (texas/usc) with Florida being close just due to the complete dominance over their natural recruiting grounds. Schools like Bama, Oklahoma are really really good jobs, but their competiton is strong.

Recruiting sucks alot, you don't understand how much time these coaches spend on recruiting, and it's the reason you see coaches go to NFL all the time (and flame out because dealing with college kids is alot different than dealing with NFL stars); is because they like to coach and not recruit.

I get that. I said earlier in this thread or another that I don't see why an NFL coach would want to go to college and have to deal with recruiting, but if you do go, and you go to a school like Penn State, you stick around. O'Brien wasn't a head coach in the NFL, so maybe college was his best next move at the time. But Penn State, after 114 years of Paterno roaming the sidelines, isn't the school for you if you want to use it as a spring board. Go to Pitt. or Rutgers.

andycapps

and what makes me really sad is that I'd jump at the chance to take him over Flood.

I suppose so, in your case. But it's Penn State, they can do better than Greg Schiano. He went 68-67 at Rutgers. A coach that barely scraped over .500 shouldn't even warrant mentioning in that job search. And that 68-67 record was in the Big East.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only person who has failed upwards better than O'Brien was Jim Caldwell. His tenure as Duke's OC under Franks was pretty awful, but to be fair, he had no talent and zero support.

Draxal

I suppose so, in your case. But it's Penn State, they can do better than Greg Schiano. He went 68-67 at Rutgers. A coach that barely scraped over .500 shouldn't even warrant mentioning in that job search. And that 68-67 record was in the Big East.

You don't understand how poor Rutgers was in the late 90's, which is why all of us Rutgers fans are panicking ... we don't want to be nearly as bad as that ever again. You have to discount the first 3 years of Schiano just because of how deep a hole the program was in. However, yeah I don't think Schiano is a good coach; it's just more about how I feel about the current state of our program right now (ITS BAD).

ag-my001

I can see why some NFL coaches would go to a college. If you're a decent name at a top school, you'll have such a recruiting advantage over the competition that 9 wins are a given. Not a terrible way to make a few million a year, compared to an NFL position that could end after one year.

Oh, I just did a search and I guess that dude's actually a Penn St fan. I thought that was mocking. Poe's Law!

Who, me? Duke and Florida State. But I do think Penn State is a school you don't leave. You want to jump to the NFL, fine, but in the interim, take a "lesser" college job that nobody cares about in comparison. I count Penn State as one of those destination jobs, certainly after what Paterno did there and for how long.

That's not to say someone necessarily needs to be a lifer, but at least make it through a few recruiting classes cycling through. I'd say 8-10 years is long enough. Again, I might be old fashioned and who am I to tell someone where they need to work.

Who, me? Duke and Florida State. But I do think Penn State is a school you don't leave. You want to jump to the NFL, fine, but in the interim, take a "lesser" college job that nobody cares about in comparison. I count Penn State as one of those destination jobs, certainly after what Paterno did there and for how long.

That's not to say someone necessarily needs to be a lifer, but at least make it through a few recruiting classes cycling through. I'd say 8-10 years is long enough. Again, I might be old fashioned and who am I to tell someone where they need to work.

Penn St really isnt a destination job. They havent been great this decade, hell they havent been great since they joined the B1G. They have some nice season then average season, I would say theyre right below Wisconsin on the B1G Totem poll. 5-6 range.

No, you were right. Texas and USC are the top jobs. Florida and tOSU are also way up there because of their war chests. PSU is like an FSU with much tougher recruiting.

Draxal

Penn St really isnt a destination job. They havent been great this decade, hell they havent been great since they joined the B1G. They have some nice season then average season, I would say theyre right below Wisconsin on the B1G Totem poll. 5-6 range.

They're 3/4 (Nebraska). They're in the middle of a fertile recruiting area (Penn/Maryland/NJ/); and they're stadium holds over 100k. The big problem for them right now is that they're number 3 in their division. MSU is obviously playing better than them, but the long term prospects will be better for PSU then MSU.

edit. I think Nebraska needs to show something soon, I really think they needed Okie/Texas pretty badly.

So is Middle Tennessee really the biggest group of shitheels around or something? I'm only partly paying attention, but they just had a player tossed from the game for a 2nd taunting penalty, plus there was another one a bit ago. Plus the announcers were just talking about the Navy QB having to put a visor in his helmet because they were doing something to him in a pile earlier.

And they're doing this against NAVY.

Edit: Now that the announcers talked about it, it was the guy who just got tossed who did the eye gouging for his first unsportsmanlike.

andycapps

You don't understand how poor Rutgers was in the late 90's, which is why all of us Rutgers fans are panicking ... we don't want to be nearly as bad as that ever again. You have to discount the first 3 years of Schiano just because of how deep a hole the program was in. However, yeah I don't think Schiano is a good coach; it's just more about how I feel about the current state of our program right now (ITS BAD).

Maybe you can get him back, I just don't get why anybody other than Rutgers would want him.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BcwNEZpCAAAI3VQ.jpg

Top Bottom