• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Piggus

Just saw DeAnthony Thomas at the mall here in San Antonio lol. Didn't wanna bother him on his downtime but said good luck.

Let's go duuuucks

andycapps

Am I seriously picking GA Tech in a bowl game? Someone smack me upside the head, please.

Yeah I don't know what you're thinking there. Ole Miss has has a while to get ready for the triple option so they should be fine, but these games are more about who shows up ready to play or who is upset they didn't get in a better bowl game (or who is more hung over).

They're 3/4 (Nebraska). They're in the middle of a fertile recruiting area (Penn/Maryland/NJ/); and they're stadium holds over 100k. The big problem for them right now is that they're number 3 in their division. MSU is obviously playing better than them, but the long term prospects will be better for PSU then MSU.

edit. I think Nebraska needs to show something soon, I really think they needed Okie/Texas pretty badly.

I could see an argument for 4, so I will bump it up to 4-5 range, still not a destination job

jakncoke

Banned
@sekrah Bill O'Brien has informed his staff that he will be accepting Texans job.

womp womp womp

tumblr_m948d9J9aF1ruacxt.gif

jakncoke

Banned
I can only hope we get another candidate that can bring in the recruits and did what Bill O'Brien did. I wonder how Hackenberg develops now. McGloin last year and Hackenberg freshman year wouldnt been nearly successful without him imo

Draxal

I can only hope we get another candidate that can bring in the recruits and did what Bill O'Brien did. I wonder how Hackenberg develops now. McGloin last year and Hackenberg freshman year wouldnt been nearly successful without him imo

Franklin is the perfect fit for you guys. Young, offensive guy who got Vanderbilt going in the sec, and is from Eastern PA, and has plenty of ties in Maryland back in the day.

I get that. I said earlier in this thread or another that I don't see why an NFL coach would want to go to college and have to deal with recruiting, but if you do go, and you go to a school like Penn State, you stick around. O'Brien wasn't a head coach in the NFL, so maybe college was his best next move at the time. But Penn State, after 114 years of Paterno roaming the sidelines, isn't the school for you if you want to use it as a spring board. Go to Pitt. or Rutgers.

I don't see how Penn State, in the midst of a thousand years of sanctions, is a better gig than coaching in the NFL. Especially since he's taking over a Texans team that isn't in as bad of shape as most NFL teams that fire their coaches.

You also have the recent run of coaches in their first year in the NFL after successful stints at college leading their teams to the playoffs, vs the whole thing where Penn State can't even play in a mid tier Bowl game for several more years.

From a pure prestige perspective, leading the Texans into the playoffs next year is probably more enticing than gutting out another half dozen 7-5 seasons at Penn State. Plus now he doesn't have to deal with the inevitability of them being irrelevant and mediocre once the sanctions are up.

ag-my001

"When these two teams look in the mirror, they see a reflection of themselves."

I know what he was going for, but I think this game might be watched on mute.

Sactions are up in 2 years, and they haven't fallen to mediocrity, and certainly not as quickly as feared. Maybe I hold Penn State in higher esteem than the rest of yall, but that seems like a job big enough to not leave. I wouldn't leave an Alabama or a USC to go there, but I wouldn't leave Penn State to go to one of those jobs, either (or, rather, it would take much longer than 2 years to leave). I don't know, that school is somewhere in my top 10 college football jobs, and it would take decades of bad hires and mediocrity for them to fall out of it.

All I'm saying is that if the college life isn't where you want to be, you don't take the Penn State job in the first place. Go to Pittsburgh.

Well shit, Roby is listed as a game time decision due to knew injury in B1G champ. Our starting DE didnt make the trip, and now a stomach bug is going around the team.

andycapps

Well shit, Roby is listed as a game time decision due to knew injury in B1G champ. Our starting DE didnt make the trip, and now a stomach bug is going around the team.

UGA had a stomach bug going through the team last week. One of our remaining WR's sprained his ankle in practice the other day but is probable for the game. I can't wait for this season to be over.

Sactions are up in 2 years, and they haven't fallen to mediocrity, and certainly not as quickly as feared. Maybe I hold Penn State in higher esteem than the rest of yall, but that seems like a job big enough to not leave. I wouldn't leave an Alabama or a USC to go there, but I wouldn't leave Penn State to go to one of those jobs, either (or, rather, it would take much longer than 2 years to leave). I don't know, that school is somewhere in my top 10 college football jobs, and it would take decades of bad hires and mediocrity for them to fall out of it.

All I'm saying is that if the college life isn't where you want to be, you don't take the Penn State job in the first place. Go to Pittsburgh.

I dunno, I honestly can't place Penn State in my top 10 college jobs, I mean it isn't even the best job in its own conference.

I also think that in the current college football landscape its getting harder to be competitive for cold weather programs and mid western teams. Maybe that's just me.

Edit: Nvm, I have no idea what that win pct was from but it wasn't accurate.

I dunno, I honestly can't place Penn State in my top 10 college jobs, I mean it isn't even the best job in its own conference.

I also think that in the current college football landscape its getting harder to be competitive for cold weather programs and mid western teams. Maybe that's just me.

Given that there are just 5 relevant conferences and Notre Dame, you don't need to be the top team and not necessarily a top 2 team in your own conference.

I'd argue the ACC has one destination job, if any. Florida State. PAC-12 has USC. Notre Dame is there. That leaves 7 jobs across XII, Big 14, and SEC. Give me Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas. Michigan, Ohio State. That uses up 5, for a total of 8. I have 2 more, and I'm giving one of those slots to Penn State. Maybe the other is Florida. That's my list.

andycapps

Not a great drive for Ole Miss. You don't want to give GA Tech a short field. You want to make them drive the length of the field. Also, they rarely punt so getting them in 3rd and long is extremely important.

There are definitely at least ten better jobs than Penn St, especially now.

Pac: USC, UCLA, U Dub, Oregon
Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma
B1G: Ohio St, Michigan, maybe Nebraska
ACC: Florida St, Clemson, maybe Miami
SEC: Bama, Florida, LSU, UGA, probably ATM & Auburn

Just off the top of my head. There are probably even more that are on the same level as Penn.

It takes more than 2 or 5 or even 10 years of winning to elevate yourself, just as it takes more than 2 or 5 or even 10 years of losing to make yourself irrelevant. At least for me. To me, those PAC-12 schools are flavor of the month after USC, they're the big dog. Nebraska, I'd say, is on the verge of falling off because of each successive hire after Osborne left. I can't put Clemson up there. Miami is a tough one. On the one hand, they've had a lot of historical success. On the other, they've had a lot of sanctions, thuggery, and apparently none of their fans are actually anywhere near Miami, certainly not in the stadium on a Saturday afternoon. The SEC schools are all so darn interchangeable. It's the destination conference, for sure, but I don't know about the schools after Alabama and maybe Florida, who I'm hesitant to include. I'd feel better about it if Spurrier was still there, which should reveal another important criteria for me, if it wasn't evident already. Destination jobs are quite often created by a person who held it before. If anything, there have to be some pretty big, well tenured shoes to fill.

Draxal

There are definitely at least ten better jobs than Penn St, especially now.

Pac: USC, UCLA, U Dub, Oregon
Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma
B1G: Ohio St, Michigan, maybe Nebraska
ACC: Florida St, Clemson, maybe Miami
SEC: Bama, Florida, LSU, UGA, probably ATM & Auburn

Just off the top of my head. There are probably even more that are on the same level as Penn.

You can say that Udub/UCLA/Oregon are on the same level as PSU, but they're not better jobs.

I think people underestimate how bad a job Paterno was doing at the end of his run, but PSU has some huge advantages that most of these other schools don't have.

You can't say that Udub/UCLA/Oregon are on the same level as PSU, but they're not better jobs.

I think people underestimate how bad a job Paterno was doing at the end of his run, but PSU has some huge advantages that most of these other schools don't have.

What advantages does Penn State have over say UCLA?

andycapps

It takes more than 2 or 5 or even 10 years of winning to elevate yourself, just as it takes more than 2 or 5 or even 10 years of losing to make yourself irrelevant. At least for me. To me, those PAC-12 schools are flavor of the month after USC, they're the big dog. Nebraska, I'd say, is on the verge of falling off because of each successive hire after Osborne left. I can't put Clemson up there. Miami is a tough one. On the one hand, they've had a lot of historical success. On the other, they've had a lot of sanctions, thuggery, and apparently none of their fans are actually anywhere near Miami, certainly not in the stadium on a Saturday afternoon. The SEC schools are all so darn interchangeable. It's the destination conference, for sure, but I don't know about the schools after Alabama and maybe Florida, who I'm hesitant to include. I'd feel better about it if Spurrier was still there, which should reveal another important criteria for me, if it wasn't evident already. Destination jobs are quite often created by a person who held it before. If anything, there have to be some pretty big, well tenured shoes to fill.

To me, destination jobs are based on recruiting base, school athletic finances, and school winning percentages/history.

jakncoke

Banned
I don't see how Penn State, in the midst of a thousand years of sanctions, is a better gig than coaching in the NFL. Especially since he's taking over a Texans team that isn't in as bad of shape as most NFL teams that fire their coaches.

You also have the recent run of coaches in their first year in the NFL after successful stints at college leading their teams to the playoffs, vs the whole thing where Penn State can't even play in a mid tier Bowl game for several more years.

From a pure prestige perspective, leading the Texans into the playoffs next year is probably more enticing than gutting out another half dozen 7-5 seasons at Penn State. Plus now he doesn't have to deal with the inevitability of them being irrelevant and mediocre once the sanctions are up.

Hey hey now. Its 2 more years of bowl bans and the idiots even decided to let us have more scholarships faster than the original penalty!

As for what deciding what level Penn St is one has to consider that most the great programs are going to sewn up for years to come. So a up and coming coach might have Penn St as his best option really. One thing this page has made me giggle at, is an Ohio St fan of all people is the only one voicing it out for Penn St favor.

Draxal

What advantages does Penn State have over say UCLA?

1. Not playing in the same city as USC. PSU is by far the dominant power in Penn, Southern NJ, and good parts of Maryland. These are good recruiting states that they are the clear alpha dog in.

2. Their fanbase is loyally insane, you see the defense of the rapedom in Pennsyltucky. That's not going to happen in LA. Mind you most normal people will see this as a detriment, but we're talking about job security for coaches so it's a plus here.

They're also have well heeled alumni and they can sit a billion in their stadium, but that's a plus UCLA has as well, but other schools on that list don't have.

andycapps

Hey hey now. Its 2 more years of bowl bans and the idiots even decided to let us have more scholarships faster than the original penalty!

As for what deciding what level Penn St is one has to consider that most the great programs are going to sewn up for years to come. So a up and coming coach might have Penn St as his best option really. One thing this page has made me giggle at, is an Ohio St fan of all people is the only one voicing it out for Penn St favor.

I think Penn State is/was a destination job. The Sandusky thing has taken a lot of the luster from the program for me. Prior to that, absolutely. But that's mostly based on Joe-Pa and how long he'd been there. It's hard to recruit players at cold weather schools, and I don't think they're as highly rated as Ohio State or Michigan, unless you're from PA, of course.

Cyan, I don't think Washington is a destination job. They don't fit any of my criteria anyway.

jakncoke

Banned
I think Penn State is/was a destination job. The Sandusky thing has taken a lot of the luster from the program for me. Prior to that, absolutely. But that's mostly based on Joe-Pa and how long he'd been there. It's hard to recruit players at cold weather schools, and I don't think they're as highly rated as Ohio State or Michigan, unless you're from PA, of course.

Bill O'Brien seemed to be doing just fine even on restrictions and so did Joe Paterno.

Draxal

Cyan, I don't think Washington is a destination job. They don't fit any of my criteria anyway.

PSU is pretty easy to as their's enough local talent in the surrounding states. The reason they wren't recruiting well was because Paterno and his staff were old and lazy.

One thing this page has made me giggle at, is an Ohio St fan of all people is the only one voicing it out for Penn St favor.

I'm offended! :p

Do not accuse me of pulling for (the) Ohio State (university). Duke, Florida State, big time ACC homer. I am hoping (although not expecting) for Clemson to bring the wood later this week.

andycapps

Bill O'Brien seemed to be doing just fine even on restrictions and so did Joe Paterno.

Obviously they've had a rough time of it with scholarships, but going 7-5 in a down Big Ten isn't exactly lighting things on fire. I think you're reading a little too much into my comments. I think Penn State is still a destination job.

PSU is pretty easy to as their's enough local talent in the surrounding states. The reason they wren't recruiting well was because Paterno and his staff were old and lazy.

Oh I agree. Paterno was a weight to the program the last few years and they would have been better off if he'd retired earlier, but obviously they can't fire him. He was Penn State personified.

jakncoke

Banned
Obviously they've had a rough time of it with scholarships, but going 7-5 in a down Big Ten isn't exactly lighting things on fire. I think you're reading a little too much into my comments. I think Penn State is still a destination job.

Oh I agree. Paterno was a weight to the program the last few years and they would have been better off if he'd retired earlier, but obviously they can't fire him. He was Penn State personified.

We're in year 2 of restrictions where we have a shit ton of walk ons lol. ofc we're not going to win the big 10 on that ha. I thought this conversation was about recruiting not records

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Ole Miss and GT has been heart attack inducing so far. So much back and forth.

If anyone wants to see some hilarious tweets, search for Ole Miss. Everyone is getting pissed that Rich Evans is calling Ole Miss "Mississippi".

jakncoke

Banned
I picked GA Tech for 23 :|

I really dont understand hiryu pickset. He didnt even make a selection for the navy game. And some how his max points keep increasing. Does it not account max points for games you havent picked for yet?

1. Not playing in the same city as USC. PSU is by far the dominant power in Penn, Southern NJ, and good parts of Maryland. These are good recruiting states that they are the clear alpha dog in.

2. Their fanbase is loyally insane, you see the defense of the rapedom in Pennsyltucky. That's not going to happen in LA. Mind you most normal people will see this as a detriment, but we're talking about job security for coaches so it's a plus here.

They're also have well heeled alumni and they can sit a billion in their stadium, but that's a plus UCLA has as well, but other schools on that list don't have.

I feel like having second pick of recruits in SoCal is probably still better than first pick of recruits in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.

So basically Penn State has a rabidly loyal fan base. So that puts them on par with most of the SEC.

Draxal

I feel like having second pick of recruits in SoCal is probably still better than first pick of recruits in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.

So basically Penn State has a rabidly loyal fan base. So that puts them on par with most of the SEC.

Nah, you definitely want the first tier.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...n-california-florida-louisiana-texas-south-ca

1. California 225

2. Florida 186

3. Texas 184

4. Georgia 95

5. Ohio 74

6. New Jersey 63

7. Louisiana 62

8. Pennsylvania 58

9. South Carolina 54

10. Virginia 50

17. New York 28

18. Maryland 25

NJ is abnormally high, but Penn's abnormally low as well as Maryland. The other thing I I failed to mention is the absolute void that is northeast college football (which is why ND kinda became the default team for alot of people here); they have the pick of the litter of most of the other states as well (all the way down to Virginia where they got Hackenburg).

There's also no poacher school like Oregon does in California (although Ohio State is killing in the NY area recently).

Top Bottom