• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Got cable again, ready for football. But I got into mountain biking recently, and tough decisions will need to be made this year since Saturday is prime mountain biking time.

Got cable again, ready for football. But I got into mountain biking recently, and tough decisions will need to be made this year since Saturday is prime mountain biking time.

Obviously, you have to give up biking.

Personally, I finally have reason to root against noon starts. I joined the gym at work, and Saturday is one of my days. The gym only stays open until 2 on Saturday, and I'm not one to get up early, so I usually get over there just in time to barely make it out by closing.

andycapps

Obviously, you have to give up biking.

Personally, I finally have reason to root against noon starts. I joined the gym at work, and Saturday is one of my days. The gym only stays open until 2 on Saturday, and I'm not one to get up early, so I usually get over there just in time to barely make it out by closing.
That's why I don't work out on Saturdays. I did today since I skipped yesterday, got one in before breakfast. Rarely do that but it went pretty well, surprisingly.

wait, how is the BYU fanbase stuck in the past?

They always expect a ten-win season and think they can get it regularly now that they are playing a tougher Independent schedule. They don't have the talent to rip off those ten win seasons when you don't have the bottom of a weaker conference to trash giving you free wins.

That's why I don't work out on Saturdays. I did today since I skipped yesterday, got one in before breakfast. Rarely do that but it went pretty well, surprisingly.

With it being a gym in the office and given my work schedule (I only work in the office 2 days per week), my rotation is Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday, with Saturday just being an extra trip. I'm not getting up early, so here's to 3:30 (or later) starts for Florida State and Duke this season.

Jhriad

You mean the coach that was producing consistent 9 win minimum seasons and wasn't running a completely botched west coast offense that produced the first losing Nebraska season in forever?

Congrats to Bo Pelini on beating 9 mediocre teams and then getting obliterated by anyone with a pulse. Nine wins aren't as impressive when they're coming off a last second Hail Mary to teams like Northwestern. He has no one to blame but himself for refusing to adjust his scheme to Big Ten offenses, interfering with OC playcalling, sticking with position coaches that were obviously not up to par, assigning starting spots according to seniority instead of merit, repeat losses to teams with inferior talent, blowout losses on a big stages, subpar recruiting, incredibly inconsistent play, turnovers everywhere, and lastly the sideline antics. And lets be clear, those sideline antics were the least of his problems as a head coach. I could care less if he cusses and shouts on the sidelines. So long as he's putting a consistent, decent product on the field and is producing quality young men I'm okay with keeping him indefinitely. He did the latter but he couldn't do the former.

He got seven years. SEVEN. That's more than practically any other program of our size would give to a coach that failed to produce any big wins but would, with regularity, yield 2-3 embarrassingly bad losses every year. And lets be clear, when I refer to our size I'm trying to covertly reference the prestige of Nebraska but simply referring to the resources and facilities available to Nebraska athletics. Bare minimum we should be ranked somewhere in the 15 to 20 range every year through brute force. Pelini couldn't even manage that.

Nebraska doesn't have the pick of the litter anymore. College football got more and more parity and nobody wants to play for a team that plays in the cold and isn't a good path to the NFL if you're on offense or a QB.

We never really had the pick of the litter. There are a handful of years where Tom was able to recruit very well but they were outliers and not the norm. Recruiting is harder now, yes, and that's due in large part to a number of factors that affect not just us but other big names in the Midwest. That could be a whole other discussion really. Offensive identity is more important for recruiting than cold weather but I'd agree with the rest. Part of our problem under Bo and even Frank was that we didn't have a well developed sense of team identity so it made it a lot harder to pitch to kids. Cally's system was far too complex for college sports given the restrictions on practice hours per week when compared to the NFL.

Now you can play for a paycheck-game school

This isn't new and, if we're being honest, even the schools that are very compliant with NCAA rules probably have a good number of "benefits" available to players outside of official channels. If anything it's actually been pushed more to the periphery than it was in the 70s & 80s.

All that said, I don't disagree that a lot of folks are still hung up on the success of the 90s. Personally, I'm not expecting greatness but I do expect to see a competitive team on the field every week. Pelini wasn't able to do that.

Let's take a trip down (terrible) memory lane.

2012:
UCLA. Nebraska gives up 653 total yards in a 36-30 loss. I'm sure this was a fluke.
Ohio State. 63-38
Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game. 70-31 and 640 total yards given up to a team we beat earlier in the season.

2013:
Wyoming. Well, this wasn't as easy as it should have been but thank god it's ove- TACKLE HIM!!!! Crap. Someone speed up the game clock please.
Minnesota 34-24. Fourth and Ten? Bracket coverage? No worries. Oh.
UCLA. Nebraska is up 21-3 at home. UCLA proceeds to score 38 unanswered points to win 41-21.
Iowa 38-17. Can we fire him now?

2014:
McNeese State. Thank you, Ameer.
Michigan State. It wasn't a game, it was three and a half quarters of Pelini lullabies.
Wisconsin. Badgers turn the ball over 4 times. They still win by 35 with almost 600 yard rushing. Melvin Gordon has over 400 yards and 4 TDs in three quarters of work.
Minnesota beats Nebraska for the second year in a row. Without their star RB and a QB that is... well, he's Mitch Leidner. That's all you need to know.

So... yeah. Good Riddance.

hello college football gaf

as usual i was a horrible non existent off season member of cfgaf

but we are less then 1 week away from season's start, and my love for college football is as strong as ever

Louisville recently revealed 55 million dollar plans to expand PJ Cardinal Stadium by only 10k, With most of the budget being for adding field level luxury suites/boxes. While I love to see us constantly growing as a football program, I'm not thrilled about the plans of the project.

this is how the open endzone currently looks
5E8D919210243B044D1A25F0.jpg

and what they are wanting to do
Screenshot-2015-08-27-22.59.29.png

issues I have are the general design is ugly at best. While they are completely renovating the Howard Schnellenberger complex, they are also completely covering its field facing front. They are moving the Johnny Unitas statue to an unknown location.
fed178bafeb8bbd18acafa1d0fa12c00.jpg

I would have rather them finish the horseshoe expansion they started a few years back
louisville.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
not a fan of it there either

also should be noted, the sod near the entrance/walkways of the stadium was being redone in off season in that last pic

You're not going to go ape shit anytime Louisville loses, are you? TheNatural left an impression for you people.

cdyhybrid

Texas had a statue of a Confederate president on campus in 2015?

Well, I guess all those crazy Texans that want Texas to become its own country probably were fine with it.

Texas had a statue of a Confederate president on campus in 2015?

Well, I guess all those crazy Texans that want Texas to become its own country probably were fine with it.

Unfortunately, we still do.

From the Yahoo article said:
Statues of other Confederate figures — Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and Albert Sidney Johnston, and Confederate Postmaster General John H. Reagan — will remain in their places on campus.

But at least we got rid of Davis!

You're not going to go ape shit anytime Louisville loses, are you? TheNatural left an impression for you people.

what do you mean, you people?

also not sure his timespan, but i have been posting here for many years, and when Louisville loses my criticism is nearly exclusively aimed at our players and or coaches

I made it through the kragthorpe years without losing my cool, so im pretty sure I have a very high tolerance of losing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom