• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
University of Illinois is a fucking trainwreck at every level. They should have never even hired him in the first place.
Yeah, I remember being surprised when he got the Toledo job (our defense sucked while he was here) and then being even more surprised when he got a major conference gig.

Kacar

Can never forget Juice cause he had what honestly felt like a 30 minute drive to give OSU our first loss in 2007.

It's been all the way downhill for the Illini ever since that year it seems.

Draxal

Btn currently showing one of the Big 10s greatest wins: Rutgers over #3 Louisville in 2006

If it wasn't for that game we never would have been in the B1G ... but yeah their kinda of a bad spot to show off stuff about Rutgers and Maryland ... and to a lesser extent Nebraska.

Can never forget Juice cause he had what honestly felt like a 30 minute drive to give OSU our first loss in 2007.

It's been all the way downhill for the Illini ever since that year it seems.

Yup. And somehow we luck into an asskicking from the corn dog people for the natty.

Draxal

You guys really couldn't just hold out for Mizzou and Kansas? You just *had* to take Rutgers and Maryland.

No offense ... but it was all about the money that's in these states (alumni, prospective students) and none of the great plains states comes close to the money generated by an integrated Maryland or New Jersey (or Connecticut or Delaware).

KingGondo

Banned
No offense ... but it was all about the money that's in these states (alumni, prospective students) and none of the great plains states comes close to the money generated by an integrated Maryland or New Jersey (or Connecticut or Delaware).
If only anyone in New Jersey, Maryland, or the northeast in general gave a shit about CFB.

Just fabulous-UNLV's new field is ready:

1XrI6X9.jpg

Hope Sanchez can turn it around. 2 million people need some good football in their lives.

UNLV should be an easy program sell. I mean, it's Vegas! UNLV is just blocks away from the strip.

Apparently previous coaches tried to keep their recruits and parents and what not away from the strip, which seems insane. All because the strip is there doesn't mean that Las Vegas is wall to wall debauchery. It's way bigger than that now.

Those numbers. That's just barely better than painting the field blue.

The smurf turf is amazing, too bad most Boise St. fans aren't. :/

Draxal

If only anyone in New Jersey, Maryland, or the northeast in general gave a shit about CFB.

PSU fans certainly care about football and there's a diaspora of Big Ten fans in the northeast as Big Ten alumni tend to move east or already originated from the East. That and the sheer amount amount of people in the Northeast, I think people outside from other large metro areas (LA/Chicago) fail to realize how large the NYC/Philadelphia markets are.

PSU fans certainly care about football.

Yet another reason why PSU must be beaten down every year. Northeastern fans are to be avoided at all cost, because media pandering to northeastern fans is beyond gross to watch. I'd rather see those journos keep kissing the ring of Dark Lord Saban before having them hype up some Penn St. team every year just to get hits from the NE.

It doesn't matter.

All that the B1G cared about was getting BTN in the DC and NYC markets.

And plenty of people in the northeast DO give a shit about CFB. They just don't give a shit about any of the teams based in the northeast.

Draxal

Yet another reason why PSU must be beaten down every year. Northeastern fans are to be avoided at all cost, because media pandering to northeastern fans is beyond gross to watch. I'd rather see those journos keep kissing the ring of Dark Lord Saban before having them hype up some Penn St. team every year just to get hits from the NE.

Just imagine if Army West Point or the Fordham Rams used to be the dominant powers that they used to be pre WWII days.

I only posted this because Army are no longer the Black Knights but now Army West Point.

KingGondo

Banned
It doesn't matter.

All that the B1G cared about was getting BTN in the DC and NYC markets.

And plenty of people in the northeast DO give a shit about CFB. They just don't give a shit about any of the teams based in the northeast.
That's fair.

It's just disorienting when Maryland is no longer in the ACC, and Mizzou (an original Big 6 Conference member) is in the SEC.

CFB is at its best with regional (read: bitter and hateful) rivalries.

Jhriad

Well, their addition did help gain carriage in New York and New Jersey prior to last season. I don't know what the situation is atm in DC, Philly, etc. as I don't think I've seen updates on those but the update we got when those deals were inked was that it was about $50 million a year of additional income just from those two markets with potentially more depending on what sort of adoption we see elsewhere in the Boston-Washington Corridor. Original estimates assuming eventual carriage on most major cable providers in that area were upwards of an additional $200 million a year, including the previously mentioned $50 million. A lot of that depends on the traditional cable carriage model which, as we've all seen, is seeing a decline. We'll see how quickly the conference adapts to cord cutting and exactly how large a contribution those two schools provide when we can't just tack BTN onto basic cable packages. I'm interested to see what the new TV contract(s) end up looking like. The Big Ten contract going last might have put us in a worse negotiating position with ABC/ESPN given recent revelations on their viewership losses.

That's fair.

It's just disorienting when Maryland is no longer in the ACC, and Mizzou (an original Big 6 Conference member) is in the SEC.

I like that our biggest rival lives on the other side of the country. I don't have to see their smug trogan faces as often.

Draxal

Well, their addition did help gain carriage in New York and New Jersey prior to last season. I don't know what the situation is atm in DC, Philly, etc. as I don't think I've seen updates on those but the update we got when those deals were inked was that it was about $50 million a year of additional income just from those two markets with potentially more depending on what sort of adoption we see elsewhere in the Boston-Washington Corridor. Original estimates assuming eventual carriage on most major cable providers in that area were upwards of an additional $200 million a year, including the previously mentioned $50 million. A lot of that depends on the traditional cable carriage model which, as we've all seen, is seeing a decline. We'll see how quickly the conference adapts to cord cutting and exactly how large a contribution those two schools provide when we can't just tack BTN onto basic cable packages. I'm interested to see what the new TV contract(s) end up looking like. The Big Ten contract going last might have put us in a worse negotiating position with ABC/ESPN given recent revelations on their viewership losses.

I still think the Big Ten is going to make bank, and I saw the ESPN hemorrhaging talent as a good side for the B1G instead of a negative, live sports content is king and ESPN can't afford to lose it thus saving all possible money for it, as NBC and Fox are in the game as well.

That's fair.

Maryland's biggest problem was that it was always an outlier in the ACC, the teams that they hate don't really hate them back (Duke/UNC .... however it's now PSU). Penn State has that same issue (they hate Ohio State ... but Ohio State little brothers them), as does Rutgers so they're kinda hoping to make PSU/Rutgers/Maryland a triangle of hatred (although right now it's Maryland and Rutgers hating PSU and ...ehing the other).

ag-my001

Next should be Maryland beating NC State to lock up the ACC championship in 2001.
I remember that game, and the horrible Orange Bowl blowout against the gatas that followed. Guy I went to high school with was on that team, later got his name on the MD stadium for having the punt return for a TD record.

I remember that game, and the horrible Orange Bowl blowout against the gatas that followed. Guy I went to high school with was on that team, later got his name on the MD stadium for having the punt return for a TD record.

Just one more in the long tradition of Big Ten teams losing to the SEC.

Maryland's biggest problem was that it was always an outlier in the ACC, the teams that they hate don't really hate them back (Duke/UNC .... however it's now PSU). Penn State has that same issue (they hate Ohio State ... but Ohio State little brothers them), as does Rutgers so they're kinda hoping to make PSU/Rutgers/Maryland a triangle of hatred (although right now it's Maryland and Rutgers hating PSU and ...ehing the other).

Yeah, Maryland is never going to be anyone's #1 rival. They can just get over that. At least a few of their fans couldn't do so in the ACC, and I don't know how those same folks will cope in the new situation. Maybe they need to be in a conference with Georgetown and get a backyard thing going.

Draxal

Yeah, Maryland is never going to be anyone's #1 rival. They can just get over that. At least a few of their fans couldn't do so in the ACC, and I don't know how those same folks will cope in the new situation. Maybe they need to be in a conference with Georgetown and get a backyard thing going.

Honestly, I"m kinda liking this triangle we have with PSU right now, and if Maryland continues beating on PSU, I can see turning it pretty spiteful.

ag-my001

I'm sure the following year would bring a smile to mre's face: a 30-3 thumping of Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.

Though in the most ACC thing possible, the Terps finished eight spots and two wins ahead of FSU in the rankings, but were third in the ACC due to conference wins.

Kevtones

Vernon Adams locks up the starting QB job at Oregon. He's been on campus two weeks. Apparently it wasn't a close race with 4th year junior Jeff Lockie. Hmmm.

Surprised Stafford got the starting role ahead of Bralon Addison. Two years ago, Addison was the best skill player for Oregon (ahead of DAT, Barner, etc.). He's also been a pre-season AA on a few lists.

Crazy how deep we are at WR though when at full strength...

Starters: Stafford, Marshall, Nelson
2nd: Addison, Merrit (true freshman/fastest player in program history), Brown
Injured: Allen
Suspended: Carrington
Below that are some 4* freshman

andycapps

Wrong former Arkansas coach. They need John L. Smith.

WE need John L. Smith.
Agreed.

So the UGA student ticket pack this year apparently didn't come with all 7 home game tickets. 80% did, the others had either Bama or Sakerlina, plus the others. Which lead to a lot of upset students. Which lead to this.

YKoGbPjh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom