• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I'm not sure if this is a joke or just a sad statement on the B1G West Division.

Probably just residual confusion over Leaders vs. Legends.

Also, all flyover states look the same, so their relative geographic location is difficult to keep track of without looking at a map.

But they beat Alabama in a meaningless bowl game!

And Baylor would be a lot higher if they didn't lose their meaningless bowl game. i think both of those games were an anomaly where Alabama should have beaten OU and Baylor should have beaten UCF both by a large margin. For some reason, the pre season pollsters put a high stock in those results from last bowl season.

KingGondo

Banned
Our fault. Sorry guys.
Ours too.

The three worst things about losing Bedlam 2013:

1. Losing the Big 12 title in excruciating fashion
2. Giving OU the chance to beat Bama and invigorate their program (especially with this year's marshmallow-soft schedule)
3. Fucking Baylor celebrating the Big 12 title on their home field one game after we waxed them 49-17.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Not sure why Aggy is so high right now.

New QB
Best WR in school history gone
Huge loss in the Oline
Terrible Defense

= #18?

They could wind up there, but this is an example of 'hey, they were good last year right? They'll probably be good again"

See Texas having a pre-season ranking any of the last 3 years or this year.

cdyhybrid

Not sure why Aggy is so high right now.

New QB
Best WR in school history gone
Huge loss in the Oline
Terrible Defense

= #18?

They could wind up there, but this is an example of 'hey, they were good last year right? They'll probably be good again"

See Texas having a pre-season ranking any of the last 3 years or this year.

That SEC bump.

andycapps

That SEC bump.

What's the excuse for Clemson then? They lost their QB, some good NFL receivers, etc. They're very much rebuilding, but they do have a good defense returning.

I do think that Texas A&M is overrated, but the media loves them because JFF was there and they like Sumlin a lot as a coach. I'm not sure if he's going to be able to sustain that level of success without JFF.

After about 15 or 20, the rankings never matter that much. Outside of the top 10 it becomes irrelevant.

cdyhybrid

What's the excuse for Clemson then? They lost their QB, some good NFL receivers, etc. They're very much rebuilding, but they do have a good defense returning.

I imagine it's the weakness of the ACC. They just assume Clempson can cruise through the conference schedule outside of a game or two vs. FSU and whoever is randomly good this year.

andycapps

I imagine it's the weakness of the ACC. They just assume Clempson can cruise through the conference schedule outside of a game or two vs. FSU and whoever is randomly good this year.

Fair point. I wasn't clear on if these ranking constituted a point in time ranking or if this is their predictions for the playoffs, and it seems like it's the latter.

Clemson should have a pretty easy option, other than FSU, who they have on the road. I am curious what Petrino does at Louisville, that could be a challenging game. Is Duke going to be good again? Clemson is on the road at UGA and home against South Carolina. I get what you're saying though about the ACC being included in the circle of suck.

cashman

Banned
And Baylor would be a lot higher if they didn't lose their meaningless bowl game. i think both of those games were an anomaly where Alabama should have beaten OU and Baylor should have beaten UCF both by a large margin. For some reason, the pre season pollsters put a high stock in those results from last bowl season.

Tech fans are also riding high after winning their meaningless bowl game. Everybody has forgot they lost to every decent team they played in the Big 12

I do think that Texas A&M is overrated, but the media loves them because JFF was there and they like Sumlin a lot as a coach. I'm not sure if he's going to be able to sustain that level of success without JFF.

After about 15 or 20, the rankings never matter that much. Outside of the top 10 it becomes irrelevant.

All rankings are irrelevant until the end of season rankings.

Tech fans are also riding high after winning their meaningless bowl game. Everybody has forgot they lost to every decent team they played in the Big 12

I was really hoping to go to the game in Lubbock on November 1st, and we've been discussing it on and off for over a year, but now my Tech friend in Amarillo is suddenly saying "I'm not really that into Tech football anyways, lets just tour palo duro canyon instead" and I'm like....uh I'm sure palo duro canyon is nice, but if im spending $400 in roundtrip airfare to Amarillo, I better be going to Lubbock to watch my Longhorns play. She's trying to kill my vibe, but I found out last week my cousin got accepted to Tech so I'm going to try to work it out where I can meet up with him. Only problem is, all flights to Lubbock on Friday October 31st are already sold out from every airport in Texas. Now I have these worthless plane tickets to Amarillo I'll have to exchange for Southwest credit.

Clemson is 16th. You really should be looking at USCe though. They lose their winningest QB in school history, best WR from last year, a bunch on defense, and are still ranked 9th.

andycapps

Clemson is 16th. You really should be looking at USCe though. They lose their winningest QB in school history, best WR from last year, a bunch on defense, and are still ranked 9th.
It's a fair point, and I brought up myself on the previous page that a lot of people are ignoring that in their picks.

Looks like Oklahoma is losing the player that led the team in tackles last year. Losing him for the season, anyway.

@Jake_Trotter: OU LB Frank Shannon has been suspended one year, according to president David Boren.

I'm not going to do a prediction, because I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about returning players or what other conferences are doing, but I do think probably Florida State's biggest hurdle is going to be the opener against Oklahoma State in Texas. They get Clemson and Florida at home, and their tougher road games will be Louisville, Miami, and NC State. If they can keep their heads on straight and play well on opening day, I think they'll make it through undefeated. Give me FSU in the playoff and then we'll see what happens from there.

Of course, one loss probably ends their season.

cdyhybrid

I'm not going to do a prediction, because I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about returning players or what other conferences are doing, but I do think probably Florida State's biggest hurdle is going to be the opener against Oklahoma State in Texas. They get Clemson and Florida at home, and their tougher road games will be Louisville, Miami, and NC State. If they can keep their heads on straight and play well on opening day, I think they'll make it through undefeated. Give me FSU in the playoff and then we'll see what happens from there.

I dunno about that. Seems like one of those years where every conference champion could have a loss.

We're all doing it for fun because even all of us with "safe" predictions will probably laugh at how wrong we were by seasons end. Just take a stab at it like every one else. Cyan has Cal in the playoffs for goodness sakes, there are no wrong answers. Okay, maybe there are, but we're all going to be wrong in the end.

I dunno about that. Seems like one of those years where every conference champion could have a loss.

Despite the ACC's record-breaking, award winning, pundits pleasing, jet flying, limousine riding, kiss stealing... er, I mean, impressive 11 bowl games last year, the league doesn't afford teams the same wiggle room. I'd think until more than Florida State and Clemson step up as legitimate top 10, top 15 teams, a one loss ACC team doesn't get the same second look as a one loss team in another conference. The league needs Miami, the Twin Techs, and Louisville to be good

But who knows, with 4 teams instead of 2, maybe Florida State can overcome a loss that's early in the year, more likely if it's actually the opener and not an ACC game or to Florida.

andycapps

We're all doing it for fun because even all of us with "safe" predictions will probably laugh at how wrong we were by seasons end. Just take a stab at it like every one else. Cyan has Cal in the playoffs for goodness sakes, there are no wrong answers. Okay, maybe there are, but we're all going to be wrong in the end.

I agree. Bama and FSU seem to be too much "conventional wisdom" for me to pick them to win their conferences, but I can't really rationalize anything else based on how they played last year and how I expect them to play this year. Anything else would be a wild guess, IMO.

Despite the ACC's record-breaking, award winning, pundits pleasing, jet flying, limousine riding, kiss stealing... er, I mean, impressive 11 bowl games last year, the league doesn't afford teams the same wiggle room. I'd think until more than Florida State and Clemson step up as legitimate top 10, top 15 teams, a one loss ACC team doesn't get the same second look as a one loss team in another conference. The league needs Miami, the TwinTechs, and Louisville to be good

But who knows, with 4 teams instead of 2, maybe Florida State can overcome a loss that's early in the year, more likely if it's actually the opener and not an ACC game or to Florida.

You're right I don't think a 1 loss ACC team would make the playoffs unless they were defending national champions.

I agree. Bama and FSU seem to be too much "conventional wisdom" for me to pick them to win their conferences, but I can't really rationalize anything else based on how they played last year and how I expect them to play this year. Anything else would be a wild guess, IMO.

I need to consult the Vegas spreads. I think the Longhorns were 1:40 to win the national championship last I looked.

KingGondo

Banned

We have a chance to shock the world, but we'll need to play incredibly well and probably win the turnover battle to make it a game. Even then we might still lose.

Thankfully our D-line should be really good, and needless to say getting to Winston will be critical to our chances of slowing down FSU's offense. Our safeties and LBs are green but talented.

On offense I really hope the reports coming out of camp are true. We are stacked like crazy at WR and RB, including Tyreek Hill, a juco newcomer who ran a 10.19 100M and a 20.14 200M in high school. It will all come down to the OL and QB, so hopefully our OC and new OL coach have been working to tailor the offense to the strengths of Walsh, the presumptive starter. I'd love to see something along the lines of what Auburn runs under Malzahn.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

That's what happens when you're running out a nose tackle that weighs about 265 pounds and have two true freshman at QB. Depth was our biggest problem last season, and it just so happened that the part of the season where you feel depth issues the most was also the part of the season where we played the entire top half of the conference back to back.

The bowl win was big, sure, but the excitement comes more from returning our QB and entire OL, having a DL that averages something like 30 pounds heavier than last season, having the same defensive coordinator two years in a row for the first time since 2009, and having a coaching staff that actually gives a shit.

There are a good number of fans that seem to forget how ridiculously shallow we are at QB and DT, though (though with DT it's more a problem of proven depth, not numbers depth). Not going to take a whole lot of injuries for this thing to nosedive if those injuries are in a couple of specific spots.

::edit::
Also, almost forgot, we were at the bottom of the conference in both penalties and turnovers and still managed an 8 win season in 2013. Turnovers at least should improve almost by default just due to not rolling out true freshman QBs again.
::/edit::
Lots of people have us losing to Tech at home in that Thursday night game.

Not seeing it.

Having not won in Stillwater since 2001 I can't say I'm particularly confident. Same with UT, it doesn't really matter to me much what it says on paper since we've lost 5 straight including games to Garrett Gilbert, Case McCoy, and David Ash (twice). Not going to believe in a win over either school until the scoreboard says the game is over.

I think a strong component of people picking Tech over OSU has to do with the number of starters you lost after last season.

-ACC: Florida State
Coastal: DUKE BLUE DEVILS
Atlantic: Florida State

-B1G: Michigan State
East: Michigan State
West: Wisconsin

-Big 12: Oklahoma

-American: Cincinnati

-Pac 12: Stanford
North: Stanford
South: UCLA

-SEC: Alabama
East: Georgia
West: Alabama

Playoff Semis:
1: Florida State
2: Alabama
3: Stanford
4: LSU

Finals:
1: Florida State
2: Alabama

Champion: Florida State

Bonus: Michigan State/Big Ten is livid.

Hey, he has to save money somewhere after he breaks the bank on designer denim.

Since the watch was outted as a fake, now people will question the authenticity of all his garments and accessories. Are you familiar with Harwin Drive in Houston? You can buy some very authentic looking knock-offs dirt cheap if you know the right password. Pro-tip, they put the shitty looking Louis Vuitton's in the store front, and hide the near stitch perfect Louis knockoffs in the back to hide them from the counterfeit police. true story

StoOgE

Speaking of Mack Brown. He was on the Finebaum show today and actually blamed the Longhorn Network (in part) for Texas' struggles during his last year

Yeah, not his awful player evaluation, player development, game day coaching and inability to kick Manny Diaz to the curb between seasons?

None of that could have contributed to the issue at all.

Texas didn't have a single draft pick for the first time in a billion years because of the Longhorn Network.

Glad to see Mack is still Mr. Accountable.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, not his awful player evaluation, player development, game day coaching and inability to kick Manny Diaz to the curb between seasons?

Texas didn't have a single draft pick for the first time in a billion years because of the Longhorn Network.

It's okay. He's told Charlie Strong that he's always available to him for advice. Literally.

cdyhybrid

If it makes you feel any better, Jackson Jeffcoat is a longshot to make the Seahawks' roster.

It's okay. He's told Charlie Strong that he's always available to him for advice. Literally.

AFAIK, any time Strong has asked Brown a question, Brown has responded with "Its your football team now, go run it" I think that was just a one time ordeal though. They don't communicate really

StoOgE

If it makes you feel any better, Jackson Jeffcoat is a longshot to make the Seahawks' roster.

You mean 5 star recruit number 1 at his position in 2010 by every recruiting service Jackson Jeffcoat might *might* make it as an undrafted rookie free agent

Glad to see Diaz coaching those underrated kids up and making them shine.

I guess meaningless in the sense every game not the MNC is meaningless.

And "should have beaten" is something along the lines of Alabama losing to Auburn. Implies something close that a team screwed up on.

Baylor was outclassed by UCF and never led the game. Baylor was the one scoring the garbage time TD to make the game a bit closer in the box score. We shouldn't mistake warrantless pregame hype with reality. UCF does pretty well vs spread and no huddle offenses.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Wait.

Someone let him talk to Charlie Strong?

Fire him, hire new coach who isn't tainted by the curse.

AFAIK, any time Strong has asked Brown a question, Brown has responded with "Its your football team now, go run it" I think that was just a one time ordeal though. They don't communicate really
According to Brown, he's talked to Strong 4 times since Strong took over, and he "gave Charlie the same advice I'd give anybody, even if it was bad news they didn't want to hear."

I'm not sure exactly what he meant by this.

StoOgE

I guess meaningless in the sense every game not the MNC is meaningless.

And "should have beaten" is something along the lines of Alabama losing to Auburn. Implies something close that a team screwed up on.

Baylor was outclassed by UCF and never led the game. Baylor was the one scoring the garbage time TD to make the game a bit closer in the box score. We shouldn't mistake warrantless pregame hype with reality. UCF does pretty well vs spread and no huddle offenses.

Hey, we kicked you back to the kids table.

The thread you are looking for is the "CFB Offseason 2014: Headed to Div II next year"

StoOgE

According to Brown, he's talked to Strong 4 times since Strong took over, and he "gave Charlie the same advice I'd give anybody, even if it was bad news they didn't want to hear."

I'm not sure exactly what he meant by this.

Probably "David Ash is your starting QB even though the last 4 national champion QBs and several Heisman trophy winners wanted to play here or are from your state."

:smiles menacingly:

Oh man, this is almost as bad as when Texas Tech made Texas State Champ shirts.

Go back to the kids table, the adults are talking.
Has Baylor made it back from the garbage dump yet? That party invite was just a joke. Although we should have known a bunch of bears would love playing in garbage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom