• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it even possible to get a 10 on the ACT?

I work in college admissions and I've never seen it.

To be fair to the coach, most west coast colleges don't even require the ACT. I never took it, I don't even know how the scoring on it works.

Also, I was reading an article today and saw the term "blueshirt". WTF is this nonsense.

One change Kiffin has helped implement is the return of the fullback position, which is exciting. We had a defacto fullback under Nussmeir (Jalston "Nudie" Fowler), but now I think we'll see him on the field with Yeldon/Henry/Drake.

If there is one thing that USC has done better on offense than most other schools since Pete Carroll came to town, it is utilizing the full back. If you're the full back under Kiffin you have to be able to run block, pass block, run the ball and catch the ball.

That rant basically ended that player's career at OKST too.

cdyhybrid

I only took the SAT, but that was...*counting on fingers*...*booting up quantum computer*...11 years ago.

Edit:

hyh10yW.png

I took the SAT the first year they added the writing component making the max score a 2400. I bombed the writing component but fortunately most admissions didn't care what you made on that component unless you were applying to be an English major or something. If I heard correctly, I believe they recently did away with the writing component bringing the max score back to a 1600. Could be wrong. Also, RIP analogies

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Honestly, I have no idea what distinguished the actual role of the H-back in our past offenses from that of a TE. But they were separate positions with (presumably) separate assignments in our scheme.

To me, the Tight End role, were used less in the motion scheme, while the H-back, that was about all he did, the motion.

Best that I can remember, the H-Back would either motion into a position to set up a block, or proceed to a shallow route, probably a flat route, for a dump off pass from the QB. Occasionally they put in a bootleg PA pass with this (Brad Smelley against LSU in the BCS Championship, was used alot). The Tight End has the chance for deeper pass routes over the middle, or the shallow/flat routes.

Tamanon

Banned
I took the SAT about.....20 years ago? :/

Back when it was just math/english. Got a 1480 on it, but that didn't help since my High School GPA was terrible. Stupid lazy young me.

andycapps

I took the SAT about.....20 years ago? :/

Back when it was just math/english. Got a 1480 on it, but that didn't help since my High School GPA was terrible. Stupid lazy young me.

A 1480 out of 1600 and your highschool GPA was bad? Doesn't compute. I didn't get lazy until college.

A 1480 out of 1600 and your highschool GPA was bad? Doesn't compute. I didn't get lazy until college.

Nah, I got a 1400 / 1600 (780 Math, 620 Verbal*) and my high school GPA was abysmal. I had senioritis starting in 9th grade, had a 48 average at the Christmas break for senior English and was in danger of not graduating (pulled it up to a C by the end of the year).

I took a year off after high school, actually didn't even take the SAT until the October after graduation, went off to college, and graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.95 out of 4 GPA). Now, excuse me as I try not to strain my arm while giving myself a pat on the back.

---
*Side note: It's been years and years and years, but I'm still somewhat mad about my verbal score, and for reasons that are my own fault. I know for a fact that I answered at least 2 questions in the wrong place and could have done better on this component. :/ Oh well, such is life.

KingGondo

Banned
The ACT is more prevalent in my part of the country (many kids don't even take the SAT).

I took both... 12 years ago. Might have been more like 13.

Lonestar

It's not like I can say GFY, people get banned for that, but damn, crying over 1200-1400 scores?

Wish I had given more of a shit about the SATs, instead of going in cold and no studying. Got 4 digits, but not 1200.

16 years ago.

Didn't they move the "perfect" score up 200 points at some point?

Tamanon

Banned

I was a complete idiot in high school. Went to a prestigious College Prep school, graduated barely with a 2.0 GPA because I would just not study for things, or plain skip school. I regret it a lot.:/

But I wouldn't have met my girl if I made better choices later on, so gotta see the good side of it!

I took the SAT twice and the ACT once. Ended up doing better on the ACT. Although after my first try at the SAT I stopped applying to schools because it was high enough to already be accepted into Michigan State's Honors program which was one of my backup schools (along with UT Austin which I would have been automatically accepted into because I was in the top 10% of my class). I needed higher to get into Notre Dame, though so I took it again.

Standardized tests are dumb.

KingGondo

Banned
That rant basically ended that player's career at OKST too.
Bobby Reid's play and the emergence of Zac Robinson ended his career.

Bobby's back at OSU as a grad assistant anyways (or at least he was last year).
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m

RT @PaulMyerberg: #ASU OL Chip Sarafin becomes the first active CFB player to publicly announce he is gay: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...neman-chip-sarafin-comes-out-as-gay/14022677/ …
Good for him.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was a complete idiot in high school. Went to a prestigious College Prep school, graduated barely with a 2.0 GPA because I would just not study for things, or plain skip school. I regret it a lot.:/

But I wouldn't have met my girl if I made better choices later on, so gotta see the good side of it!

Paxon or Stanton?

so reading last night around the web and here, it looks like Alabama are getting downplayed by people mainly because of their QB situation. However, they still have very good RBs and WRs, and their QB was highly rated at FSU. If they dont win the SEC, who does?

TAM, LSU, Georgia, and SoCar all have the same QB issue as 'bama, and Auburn cant be as good as last year can they? With

I hope Michigan St make the playoff. I like how they won the Rose bowl last year, they play good football.

I am trying to get my head around this playoff series. A 13 man panel will vote the four best teams into the playoff?

So even if four I said previously (Bama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio St) dont make the playoff, its pretty much guaranteed that they will have the four biggest conferences represented there? SEC, ACC, Pac-12, and Big 10.

I cant see any realistic chance of a MWC or other type conference team, or Big-12 this year, getting voted in to the playoff because of the perceived strength of schedule.

Notre Dame are the only non-big five conference with a realistic chance of being voted in.

so reading last night around the web and here, it looks like Alabama are getting downplayed by people mainly because of their QB situation. However, they still have very good RBs and WRs, and their QB was highly rated at FSU. If they dont win the SEC, who does?

TAM, LSU, Georgia, and SoCar all have the same QB issue as 'bama, and Auburn cant be as good as last year can they? With

I hope Michigan St make the playoff. I like how they won the Rose bowl last year, they play good football.

I am trying to get my head around this playoff series. A 13 man panel will vote the four best teams into the playoff?

So even if four I said previously (Bama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio St) dont make the playoff, its pretty much guaranteed that they will have the four biggest conferences represented there? SEC, ACC, Pac-12, and Big 10.

I cant see any realistic chance of a MWC or other type conference team, or Big-12 this year, getting voted in to the playoff because of the perceived strength of schedule.

Notre Dame are the only non-big five conference with a realistic chance of being voted in.

If youre in a big 5 conference: Big 10, big 12, sec, Acc, or Pac12 and go undefeated you will make the playoffs pretty much no questions asked (unless 2 undefeated teams come out).

At this point it would take a super strong schedule and tons of upsets for a MWC team, or any small conference team, to make the playoff

I agree with all of this. Strange things happen every year, though. It's why preseason polls are so useless. ND has ties to the ACC now which I think will help their positioning in future years. The schedule is just too brutal this year for them to make it through unscathed, but if they do, then they'll obviously deserve to be in the playoff.

If youre in a big 5 conference: Big 10, big 12, sec, Acc, or Pac12 and go undefeated you will make the playoffs pretty much no questions asked (unless 2 undefeated teams come out).

At this point it would take a super strong schedule and tons of upsets for a MWC team, or any small conference team, to make the playoff

Yeah that is why the smaller must hate this new playoff system. Their chances of making the BCS bowls were hard enough, but pretty much no chance of making the final four now because of strength of schedule.

And there will hardly ever be two teams from one conference making the final four. It will be in the NCAAs best interest to have four different conferences and human nature to want a better spread of teams as well.

As such, its getting unlikely that youll ever see a Bama v Auburn or Michigan v ND (or any other great rivalry) national championship game ever again.

Bobby Reid's play and the emergence of Zac Robinson ended his career.

Bobby's back at OSU as a grad assistant anyways (or at least he was last year).

Good for him.

Well you don't think his play was effected by having to live that down? It seems like it would weigh on someone heavily mentally. I remember there was a lot more to the story as well.

andycapps

The only people downplaying Bama are here, the national media loves them, but not as much as FSU. I think Jameis is the new JFF for them. They have to push someone 24/7.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Jameis was really good last year, and there was ALOOOOOOOT of bad qb play.

He is an even bigger goldmine for the media also since he is even dumber than JFF ever was. More trouble will be had, and the media clusterfuck will somehow be even worse than the JFF buffoonery.

andycapps

Jameis was really good last year, and there was ALOOOOOOOT of bad qb play.
The QB play is going to be much worse this year. Last year you had JFF, Manziel, Mccarron, Boyd, Murray, etc. Oh and don't forget Driskel, for some reason the jackasses at SECN think he is going to be awesome this year when Kurt Roper gets there and works his magic.

I'm of the firm belief that after starting two years at a program and being a fucking turd, you have created a ceiling for yourself and you can't come back from it. Driskel was highly recruited, but he hasn't been developed. At this point, he's a dud.

Roll Damn Tide.

Lonestar

The QB play is going to be much worse this year. Last year you had JFF, Manziel, Mccarron, Boyd, Murray, etc. Oh and don't forget Driskel, for some reason the jackasses at SECN think he is going to be awesome this year when Kurt Roper gets there and works his magic.

I'm of the firm belief that after starting two years at a program and being a fucking turd, you have created a ceiling for yourself and you can't come back from it. Driskel was highly recruited, but he hasn't been developed. At this point, he's a dud.

Roll Damn Tide.

Wonder if the guy that died was Shane (one of the more famous PAAAWWWLL callers who died of cancer a few years back)

So you think the Big 12 is the weakest of the power 5? Texas being bad over the past 4 years has really hurt the conference's perception I guess, but no way is the Big 12 the weakest of the 5. ESPN published the power 5 propaganda today. Pretty interesting read

Sorry if already posted

KingGondo

Banned
Well you don't think his play was effected by having to live that down? It seems like it would weigh on someone heavily mentally. I remember there was a lot more to the story as well.
From what I remember he had some of his best games after that.

I could be wrong though, I'd need to look back at the game log to remember since it was 7 years ago.

So you think the Big 12 is the weakest of the power 5? Texas being bad over the past 4 years has really hurt the conference's perception I guess, but no way is the Big 12 the weakest of the 5. ESPN published the power 5 propaganda today. Pretty interesting read

Sorry if already posted

Based on my limited experience of the last two years, I dint rate the big 12 teams in the same level of the other big four leagues.

They may have been in the past, but the last couple of years has had them losing to most other big teams, othr than Oklahoma

AntoneM

Roll Damn Tide.

Oh you're talking about the ESPN coast. QB play in the Pac 12 this year may top any conference in the history of college football. Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Taylor Kelly, Sean Manion, Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, and Connor Halliday.

Tomorrow will be one of the greatest days in college football history.

Are you guys ready?

SECSECSECSECSECSEC

I think that network is going to open off with an "SEC Storied" documentary about Johnny Manziel.

Other than that, I have no idea what the actual programming for the SEC network will be. Probably some womens soccer matches will air on Friday.

Lonestar

I think that network is going to open off with an "SEC Storied" documentary about Johnny Manziel.

Other than that, I have no idea what the actual programming for the SEC network will be. Probably some womens soccer matches will air on Friday.

Stolen from Tigerdroppings:
++++ Live games in italics

Thu, Aug. 14
6 p.m. SEC Now
9 p.m. SEC Storied: The Stars Are Aligned

Fri, Aug. 15
2 a.m. BEST OF ALABAMA
2009 SEC Championship (vs. Florida)
2012 SEC Championship (vs. Georgia)
2013 Alabama vs. Texas A&M
2013 BCS Championship (vs. Notre Dame)
++++ 1 p.m. Men’s Basketball: Kentucky vs. Dominican Republic : Dave Neal & Jay Bilas
3 p.m. The Paul Finebaum Show
8 p.m. SEC Nation Special
9 p.m. Georgia Football Preview
9:30 p.m. Florida Football Preview
11 p.m. BEST OF GEORGIA
2007 Georgia vs. Auburn
2013 Georgia vs. LSU
2007 Georgia vs. Alabama
2007 Georgia vs. Florida

Sat, Aug. 16
7 a.m. SEC Football BCS Championships
1999 Fiesta Bowl (FSU vs. Tennessee)
2004 Sugar Bowl (LSU vs. Oklahoma)
2007 BCS National Championship (Florida vs. Ohio State)
*below games begin at 3 p.m.
2008 BCS National Championship (LSU vs. Ohio State)
2009 BCS National Championship (Florida vs. Oklahoma)
2010 BCS National Championship (Alabama vs. Texas)
2011 BCS National Championship (Auburn vs. Oregon)
2012 BCS National Championship (LSU vs. Alabama) 2013 BCS National Championship (Alabama vs. Notre Dame)
++++ 1 p.m. Men’s Basketball: Kentucky vs. Champagne Chalons-Reims Basket : Dave Neal & Jay Bilas

Sun, Aug. 17
3 a.m. BEST OF VANDERBILT
2013 Vanderbilt vs. Georgia
2008 Vanderbilt vs. Auburn
2006 Vanderbilt vs. Georgia
2012 Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee
11 a.m. SEC Heisman Football Games
1997 Sugar Bowl (Florida vs. Florida State) – Danny Wuerffel
*below games begin at 3 p.m.
2010 Auburn vs. Alabama – Cam Newton
2012 Texas A&M vs. Alabama – Johnny Manziel
2008 SEC Championship (Florida vs. Alabama) – Tebow & Ingram
++++ 1 p.m. Men’s Basketball: Kentucky vs. Dominican Republic : Dave Neal & Jay Bilas
9 p.m. Trophy Lives: Heisman Winners of the SEC
10 p.m. SEC Rewind: 1980 South Carolina at Georgia
Midnight BEST OF MISSISSIPPI STATE
SEC Storied: Croom
2010 Mississippi State vs. Georgia
2009 Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss
2013 Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss
2011 Gator Bowl (vs. Michigan)

Mon, Aug. 18
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. Mississippi State Football Preview
8:30 p.m. Ole Miss Football Preview
Midnight BEST OF OLE MISS
SEC Storied:Book of Manning
2008 Ole Miss vs. Florida
2002 Ole Miss vs. Florida
2003 Ole Miss vs. Auburn
2013 Ole Miss vs. LSU

Tue, Aug. 19
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. Tennessee Football Preview
8:30 p.m. Vanderbilt Football Preview
Midnight BEST OF TENNESSEE
2012 SEC Storied: Pat X.0
2004 Tennessee vs. Florida
2005 Tennessee vs. LSU
2013 Tennessee vs. South Carolina
2007 Tennessee vs. Kentucky

Wed, Aug. 20
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. Kentucky Football Preview
8:30 p.m. Missouri Football Preview
Midnight BEST OF KENTUCKY
SEC Storied: Going Big
2007 Kentucky vs. LSU
2010 Kentucky vs. South Carolina
2009 Kentucky vs. Georgia
2007 Kentucky vs. Louisville

Thu, Aug. 21
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. Alabama Football Preview
8:30 p.m. Auburn Football Preview
9 p.m. SEC STORIED: Bo, Barkley, & The Big Hurt
Midnight BEST OF AUBURN
SEC Storied: Bo, Barkley and The Big Hurt
2013 Auburn vs. Georgia
2011 BCS Championship (vs. Oregon)
SEC Storied: Bo, Barkley and The Big Hurt
2013 Auburn vs. Alabama (airing noon – 2 p.m.)

Fri, Aug. 22
++++ 7 p.m. SEC Soccer: Georgia @ Ole Miss
9 p.m. SEC Now
10 p.m. LSU Football Preview
10:30 p.m. Arkansas Football Preview
Midnight BEST OF FLORIDA
SEC Storied: Abby Head On
2007 BCS Championship (vs. Ohio State)
2006 SEC Championship (vs. Arkansas)
2009 BCS Championship (vs. Oklahoma)
2008 SEC Championship (vs. Alabama)

Sat, Aug. 23
2 P.M. 2014 SEC Spring Football Games
7 p.m. South Carolina Football Preview
7:30 p.m. Texas A&M Football Preview
Midnight BEST OF LSU
SEC Storied: Lolo
2007 LSU vs. Florida
2007 LSU vs. Auburn
2011 LSU vs. Alabama
2008 LSU vs. Ohio State

Sun, Aug. 24
10 p.m. SEC Rewind: 2001 Arkansas at Ole Miss
Midnight BEST OF ARKANSAS
SEC Storied: 40 Minutes of Hell
2007 Arkansas vs. LSU
2006 Arkansas vs. Tennessee
2007 Arkansas vs. South Carolina
2010 Arkansas vs. LSU
Mon, Aug. 25 3 p.m. The Paul Finebaum Show
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. All-Access
8:30 p.m. All-Access
Midnight BEST OF MISSOURI
2005 Independence Bowl (vs. South Carolina)
2007 Missouri vs. Kansas
2010 Missouri vs. Oklahoma
2012 Missouri vs. Tennessee

Tue, Aug. 26
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. All-Access
8:30 p.m. All-Access
Midnight BEST OF SOUTH CAROLINA
2010 South Carolina vs. Alabama
2012 South Carolina vs. Georgia
2010 South Carolina vs. Florida
2013 South Carolina vs. Missouri

Wed, Aug. 27
7 p.m. SEC Now
8 p.m. SEC Storied: The Believer
Midnight BEST OF TEXAS A&M
2012 Texas A&M vs. Alabama
2012 Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss
2012 Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State
2013 Chick-fil-a Bowl (vs. Duke)

Thu, Aug. 28
4 p.m. SEC Nation
++++ 6 p.m. SEC Football: Texas A&M @ South Carolina
++++ 9:15 p.m. SEC Football: Temple @ Vanderbilt

1st 14 days.

1st day, is, I'm assuming a combo SEC"Center" and Intro to the channel. Then a documentary. It's about talking to 14 people (each tied to a university) about what they feel about their university.

http://www.dothanfirst.com/story/d/story/the-stars-are-aligned-to-air-on-sec-network-thursd/35739/lC4qsiwJmEuYmW7Ss360vw
Celebrities/athletes interviewed for the film (one for each school in the SEC):

1 - Darius Rucker - South Carolina
2 - Jason Dufner - Auburn
3 - James Carville - LSU
4 - Ashley Judd - Kentucky
5 - Shepard Smith - Ole Miss
6 - Charlie Daniels – Tennessee
7 - Amy Robach - Georgia
8 - Willie Geist – Vanderbilt
9 - Melissa Joan Hart –Alabama
10 - Rick Perry - Texas A&M
11 – Ralphie May - Arkansas
12 – Emmitt Smith - Florida
13 – Carl Edwards - Missouri
14 – Jonathan Papelbon – Mississippi State

dm_140811_STARS_MJH.jpg

Roooow Tahd, Clarissa.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Sun, Aug. 17
3:00 - 3:07 a.m. BEST OF VANDERBILT
Yep.

Also, I knew that Melissa Joan Hart was somehow an Alabama fan, but isn't it just because of her husband? Was Sela Ward not available?

Lonestar

Yep.

Also, I knew that Melissa Joan Hart was somehow an Alabama fan, but isn't it just because of her husband? Was Sela Ward not available?

Some of the teams they had to dig down deep, but yeah, Sabrina's a Johnny-Come-Lately. Or whatever female version of that phrase is.

Dufner did play golf at Auburn, and Papelbon did play baseball at MissState, but yeah, Emmitt's the only football player. If Erin Andrew's hadn't turned traitor and joined the Clay Travis network, she'd probably would have been their choice.

andycapps

Oh you're talking about the ESPN coast. QB play in the Pac 12 this year may top any conference in the history of college football. Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Taylor Kelly, Sean Manion, Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, and Connor Halliday.

Only one I know out of that list is Mariota.

I think Amy Robach was a quarterback for Georgia in the 90's.

:jnc She's a UGA journalism alum and is one of the anchors of Good Morning America.

Florida missed their opportunity. They could have had this fine woman represent them.

vUaIiUJ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom