• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
You mean 5 star recruit number 1 at his position in 2010 by every recruiting service Jackson Jeffcoat might *might* make it as an undrafted rookie free agent

Glad to see Diaz coaching those underrated kids up and making them shine.

tbf Jeffcoat had a pretty productive career at UT.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Flush any remote chances of Duke repeating as ACC coastal champ down the toilet as our best linebacker just reinjured his knee from a couple of seasons ago. While Duke's secondary was much improved, Kelby Brown was really our only ACC caliber defensive player. Without him to direct the defense, Duke will be lucky to go 6-6. And no, this isn't hyperbole.

I'm gonna go kick a puppy

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Since the watch was outted as a fake, now people will question the authenticity of all his garments and accessories.

1MkHIyW.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
never thought I'd put someone in here on ignore, but hey, it's not everyday someone compares a football game to a Legend's death.

andycapps

Yeah, I guess there is a lot of truth to the notion that humor and depression are often intrinsically linked.
I guess I can see that as well in one of my best friends that committed suicide. He always acted funny around most people, only a few saw the depressed side that ultimately won out.

-ACC:Florida State
Coastal: Duke
Atlantic: Florida State
-B1G: Michigan State
East: Michigan State
West: Iowa
-Big 12: Oklahoma
-American: UCF
-Pac 12: Oregon

North: Oregon
South: UCLA
-SEC:Alabama
East:SCAR
West:Alabama

Playoff Semis:
1: Florida State
2: Alabama
3: Oregon
4: Michigan State
Finals:
1: Oregon
2: Michigan State
Champion: Michigan State

Notes:

-Florida State is the only "Power 5" undefeated team at the end of the regular season. Maybe Oregon, too.
-Alabama loses the Iron Bowl again but wins the division and the SEC anyway.
-Oregon beats Michigan State at home and in turn solves their Stanford problem.
-One loss Oklahoma and Baylor wish they had a conference title game.
-Michigan State gets the home field nod over Ohio State because why not.
-An all-bets-are-off rematch between MSU & Oregon for use of the color green.

I just don't see Oregon going undefeated this year.

* They have almost 0 in terms of experienced wide receivers
* They just lost their starting LT, offensive line and Mariota were the biggest returning things they had on offense
* They lost a lot of experience on defense.

They definitely lose 1, possibly 2 games.

andycapps

Just upgraded my Uverse cable package so I get the SECN on Thursday. Inside of the SEC footprint, U200 gets it. Outside of that, have to get U300.

andycapps

Trent Thompson just announced where he'll be going to college, and he picked UGA, as expected. This may be the biggest recruit that Richt has ever gotten, and that's not just a play on words. He's the #1 recruit in GA next year, #1 DT, and #2 in the nation. So at this point, UGA has two 5 stars for 2015 in Thompson and Terry Godwin (Athlete).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Is it even possible to get a 10 on the ACT?

I work in college admissions and I've never seen it.
Most people who scored a 10 on the ACT aren't applying for college. Hell, most people who would probably score a 10 on the ACT probably never took the ACT for that reason.

Talon

"APR" vs. graduation rates

Missouri, South Carolina: 980

Alabama: 975

Mississippi State, Vanderbilt: 974

Texas A&M: 971

Florida: 969

Georgia: 967

Auburn: 965

LSU, Ole Miss: 946

Kentucky: 937

Arkansas: 935

Tennessee: 932

Georgia, Vanderbilt: 82 percent

Florida: 77 percent

LSU, Missouri, Texas A&M: 74 percent

Alabama: 73 percent

Auburn: 70 percent

South Carolina: 65 percent

Tennessee: 64 percent

Kentucky: 62 percent

Mississippi State: 59 percent

Ole Miss: 55 percent

Arkansas: 54 percent
Stay winning, Bielema.

Looking forward to the college football season coming up!

How's ole miss looking this year?

I hope there is another fairy tale team this year, like auburn.

Bama, fsu, Ohio st, and Oregon are locks for the top four right???

andycapps

Looking forward to the college football season coming up!

How's ole miss looking this year?

I hope there is another fairy tale team this year, like auburn.

Bama, fsu, Ohio st, and Oregon are locks for the top four right???

Me too! Ole Miss is probably going to have a rough time this year, but if they overachieve I see the ceiling as 9 wins. Bama, LSU, and Auburn are probably all losses. Auburn is at home, so if they punch above their weight they might have a chance (but I doubt it). Bama is at home, but I don't think Ole Miss is good enough to win that. At Death Valley (LSU)? No chance.

08/28/14 vs. Boise State TV Atlanta, Ga. 7:00 p.m. CT
09/06/14 at Vanderbilt * TV Nashville, Tenn. 3:30 p.m. CT
09/13/14 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette TV Oxford 3:00 p.m. CT
09/27/14 vs. Memphis Oxford TBA
10/04/14 vs. Alabama * Oxford TBA
10/11/14 at Texas A&M * College Station, Texas TBA
10/18/14 vs. Tennessee (HC) * Oxford TBA
10/25/14 at LSU * Baton Rouge, La. TBA
11/01/14 vs. Auburn * Oxford TBA
11/08/14 vs. Presbyterian Oxford TBA
11/22/14 at Arkansas * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
11/29/14 vs. Mississippi State * Oxford TBA

About Bama, FSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. I don't know that they're all locks, particularly Bama. When you're breaking in a new QB and offensive coordinator, I don't see you being a lock, though I do expect them to contend and probably win the SEC west.

FSU is probably the closest to a lock, but it's the ACC Circle of Suck™ so anything can happen.

Oregon has lost a lot, and always has trouble beating Stanford, so I wouldn't put them at a lock, but I think I did pick them to win the PAC 12 just because nobody else really stands out.

Ohio State should cruise through with that shitty schedule, but I picked Michigan State to win the Big 10. They have tOSU and Michigan at home so I give them the advantage there. And MSU avoids Wisconsin.

Ohio State should cruise through with that shitty schedule, but I picked Michigan State to win the Big 10. They have tOSU and Michigan at home so I give them the advantage there. And MSU avoids Wisconsin.

Our schedule isn't that shitty this year.

Navy/Va Tech/Kent/Cincy is a pretty dramatic OOC upgrade from Buffalo/SDSU/Cal/FAMU, and we're in the unquestionably tougher B1G division.

It's about as good of a schedule as you could expect.

Draxal

Navy/Va Tech/Kent/Cincy is a pretty dramatic OOC upgrade from Buffalo/SDSU/Cal/FAMU, and we're in the unquestionably tougher B1G division.

You got the easy xover games this year. When parity scheduling comes up, your schedule should be much stronger.

mre

Me too! Ole Miss is probably going to have a rough time this year, but if they overachieve I see the ceiling as 9 wins. Bama, LSU, and Auburn are probably all losses. Auburn is at home, so if they punch above their weight they might have a chance (but I doubt it). Bama is at home, but I don't think Ole Miss is good enough to win that. At Death Valley (LSU)? No chance.

08/28/14 vs. Boise State TV Atlanta, Ga. 7:00 p.m. CT
09/06/14 at Vanderbilt * TV Nashville, Tenn. 3:30 p.m. CT
09/13/14 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette TV Oxford 3:00 p.m. CT
09/27/14 vs. Memphis Oxford TBA
10/04/14 vs. Alabama * Oxford TBA
10/11/14 at Texas A&M * College Station, Texas TBA
10/18/14 vs. Tennessee (HC) * Oxford TBA
10/25/14 at LSU * Baton Rouge, La. TBA
11/01/14 vs. Auburn * Oxford TBA
11/08/14 vs. Presbyterian Oxford TBA
11/22/14 at Arkansas * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
11/29/14 vs. Mississippi State * Oxford TBA

About Bama, FSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. I don't know that they're all locks, particularly Bama. When you're breaking in a new QB and offensive coordinator, I don't see you being a lock, though I do expect them to contend and probably win the SEC west.

FSU is probably the closest to a lock, but it's the ACC Circle of Suck™ so anything can happen.

Oregon has lost a lot, and always has trouble beating Stanford, so I wouldn't put them at a lock, but I think I did pick them to win the PAC 12 just because nobody else really stands out.

Kiffin is irrelevant. Like McElwaine and Nussmeier before him, he'll run Saban's offense. Our QB issue, however, is very much up in the air.

The thing that genuinely sucks about our schedule this year is the lineup of home games.

Outside of Va Tech and Michigan, it's lousy. Sparty and State Penn are both on the road.

I might only go to one or two games this year.

andycapps

It's an upgrade, but tOSU doesn't play Wisconsin or Nebraska, so they will likely only be challenged in the MSU game. VA Tech always looks good on paper, but they always fall flat on their face. Honestly, I expect tOSU to win in a blowout. Cinci will be tougher than them.

tOSU is in one of those situations where the conference is down, so their schedule is down as a result. It's also combined with them avoiding a couple of the big perennial powers. tOSU can't help it that their conference is down, but it's still down.

Kiffin is irrelevant. Like McElwaine and Nussmeier before him, he'll run Saban's offense. Our QB issue, however, is very much up in the air.

He's still calling the plays, I think Saban is much more involved with defense than he is with offense. But I'm not a Bama fan so maybe I'm missing something here. Like you mentioned, the main uncertainty on offense is with the QB. Does the senior, Sims, get the start who has zero game experience? Does Coker who had very limited experience in two years at Florida State? You can say that Bama only needs a game manager out there because of how the offense is run there, and that is true. Saban has never had a great QB (trollolololol). He's had a lot of guys that fit his system.

Bama will probably be okay with either of those guys given what I expect to be a great RB group, great WR's, and a great OL. But the QB is still a big question mark.

It's an upgrade, but tOSU doesn't play Wisconsin or Nebraska, so they will likely only be challenged in the MSU game. VA Tech always looks good on paper, but they always fall flat on their face. Honestly, I expect tOSU to win in a blowout. Cinci will be tougher than them.

Well, if we get past Sparty we'll probably play Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, so we might get one of them, at least.

tOSU is in one of those situations where the conference is down, so their schedule is down as a result. It's also combined with them avoiding a couple of the big perennial powers. tOSU can't help it that their conference is down, but it's still down.

Agreed.

mre

He's still calling the plays, I think Saban is much more involved with defense than he is with offense. But I'm not a Bama fan so maybe I'm missing something here. Like you mentioned, the main uncertainty on offense is with the QB. Does the senior, Sims, get the start who has zero game experience? Does Coker who had very limited experience in two years at Florida State? You can say that Bama only needs a game manager out there because of how the offense is run there, and that is true. Saban has never had a great QB (trollolololol). He's had a lot of guys that fit his system.

Bama will probably be okay with either of those guys given what I expect to be a great RB group, great WR's, and a great OL. But the QB is still a big question mark.
Kiffin is calling the plays using Saban's offensive philosophy. We'll run to set up play-action. Our QBs will be instructed to look for the safest throw rather than trying to "make" a play. RB screen passes will feature prominently. Hopefully, we'll remember that TE is, in fact, a position on the field.

Sims probably has as much game experience as Coker as he's been AJ's backup for the past two years.

I'm not even going to bite at that.

andycapps

Well, if we get past Sparty we'll probably play Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, so we might get one of them, at least.

Right.

Kiffin is calling the plays using Saban's offensive philosophy. We'll run to set up play-action. Our QBs will be instructed to look for the safest throw rather than trying to "make" a play. RB screen passes will feature prominently. Hopefully, we'll remember that TE is, in fact, a position on the field.

Sims probably has as much game experience as Coker as he's been AJ's backup for the past two years.

I'm not even going to bite at that.

You know you want to.

The RB screen pass will definitely be important to them this year. What I'd really like on my own team are some two RB sets. Bama could do it as well with their RB talent.

mre

The RB screen pass will definitely be important to them this year. What I'd really like on my own team are some two RB sets. Bama could do it as well with their RB talent.
One change Kiffin has helped implement is the return of the fullback position, which is exciting. We had a defacto fullback under Nussmeir (Jalston "Nudie" Fowler), but now I think we'll see him on the field with Yeldon/Henry/Drake.

andycapps

One change Kiffin has helped implement is the return of the fullback position, which is exciting. We had a defacto fullback under Nussmeir (Jalston "Nudie" Fowler), but now I think we'll see him on the field with Yeldon/Henry/Drake.

I'm surprised that Bama doesn't use the fullback more. It's an underappreciated role in football that is a huge mismatch for the defense, IMO, much like a tight end.

UGA is moving to having an H back this year.That H Back position is being occupied by a former fullback, so that's an interesting prospect to me that I'm interested in seeing how we use it.

mre

I'm surprised that Bama doesn't use the fullback more. It's an underappreciated role in football that is a huge mismatch for the defense, IMO, much like a tight end.

UGA is moving to having an H back this year.That H Back position is being occupied by a former fullback, so that's an interesting prospect to me that I'm interested in seeing how we use it.
We're converting our H-Backs to Fullbacks this year. As far as I can remember, we haven't had a fullback since Leron McClain.

andycapps

We're converting our H-Backs to Fullbacks this year. As far as I can remember, we haven't had a fullback since Leron McClain.

Interesting. We've had one, and I believe we're still going to have one at least some of the time this year. We were in I-Formation less than 30% of the time last year, but I would expect that percentage to decrease even more. Maybe we'll use that H-back as our fullback, but have more of an option to pass the ball? I don't think anybody knows Bobo's plan.

mre

Interesting. We've had one, and I believe we're still going to have one at least some of the time this year. We were in I-Formation less than 30% of the time last year, but I would expect that percentage to decrease even more. Maybe we'll use that H-back as our fullback, but have more of an option to pass the ball? I don't think anybody knows Bobo's plan.
Honestly, I have no idea what distinguished the actual role of the H-back in our past offenses from that of a TE. But they were separate positions with (presumably) separate assignments in our scheme.

andycapps

Honestly, I have no idea what distinguished the actual role of the H-back in our past offenses from that of a TE. But they were separate positions with (presumably) separate assignments in our scheme.

I'm not too familiar with the H-back position, but my understanding is that it lines up to the side of a QB if they're taking snaps under center. Seems like a hybrid fullback/tight end.

Speaking of fullbacks, rumor is that our fullback from last year (Merritt Hall) has been medically disqualified due to concussions. They converted an inside linebacker recruit over to fullback this week and he said it was at least for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom