• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

The cycle goes on.

I feel it. UGA has some camp events coming up too.

Ironically, I'm probably most excited about DeVondre Seymour, OT commit for next year. He previously had committed to UGA in 2013 but didn't qualify so went the JUCO route.

Given how we seem to struggle to get top OL prospects and how we tend to stock our lines with 3 and low 4 stars, Seeing a kid that's rated as the top OT in the class (for now) has me excited. Plus he's Richard Seymour's son.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Good article in the Dallas newspaper today about Michael Sam's upbringing. Looks like his family wasn't particularly welcoming about him being gay.

Last Tuesday, Michael Sam Sr. was at a Denny’s near his home outside Dallas to celebrate his birthday when his son sent him a text message.

Dad, I’m gay, he wrote.

The party stopped cold. “I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. said. “I don’t want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment.

“I’m old-school,” he added. “I’m a man and a woman type of guy.” As evidence, he pointed out that he had taken an older son to Mexico to lose his virginity.

Interesting comment about not wanting his grandkids to be raised in that kind of environment, particularly after you get to the parts about the kind of environment he left his actual kids in when he separated from their mother.

Draxal

Stay Safe Southern Gaf.

I'm not going to make fun of you guys, because your infrastructure isn't built for this, you don't have snow tires and all it takes is one stupid driver to screw up everything else.

“I’m old-school,” he added. “I’m a man and a woman type of guy.” As evidence, he pointed out that he had taken an older son to Mexico to lose his virginity.

"As evidence" haha. Yeah super old school there. So old that I've never heard of this tradition, and like Sam's family, I'm from Houston and haven't heard about this being a regional tradition either. He'll use the "old school" excuse when it fits in with his beliefs like with traditional marriage, but obviously not all of his methods on raising a son were "old school" to begin with. Sounds like he's rationalizing here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Stay Safe Southern Gaf.

I'm not going to make fun of you guys, because your infrastructure isn't built for this, you don't have snow tires and all it takes is one stupid driver to screw up everything else.

I imagine, unlike last time, that most people stay home, which will result in no traffic jams because of everyone leaving at the same time.

I mean, I went into work late yesterday, and there really wasn't any ice on the roads between home and work, even though the broadcasts were still recommending to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency (for the county).

This storm's missing me here in Birmingham, though. I think...

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I imagine, unlike last time, that most people stay home, which will result in no traffic jams because of everyone leaving at the same time.

I mean, I went into work late yesterday, and there really wasn't any ice on the roads between home and work, even though the broadcasts were still recommending to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency (for the county).

This storm's missing me here in Birmingham, though. I think...

We're supposed to get some ugliness this afternoon and tonight. I went in early yesterday before the mess started, and was supposed to go in early today, but I received an e-mail from opposing counsel asking me if I was planning on joining the deposition that started at 7:00AM. Good times!

Meier

"As evidence" haha. Yeah super old school there. So old that I've never heard of this tradition, and like Sam's family, I'm from Houston and haven't heard about this being a regional tradition either. He'll use the "old school" excuse when it fits in with his beliefs like with traditional marriage, but obviously not all of his methods on raising a son were "old school" to begin with. Sounds like he's rationalizing here.

ESPN had an article about it as well and there were so many people defending this guy. I'm honestly in disbelief every time. And the said thing is that there are so many people out there who automatically go into "lib dem hatin' mode" if anyone has the audacity to call out Sam's dad on this shit. This should not be a political issue. It's a humanity issue. It makes me really sad.

jjasper

I don't think I will ever understand why people get so upset about gay people. It's like some people lose all sense of reason when it comes to it.

Also I am not surprised by this. If there is one group of people that gets it the worst for being gay it is southern black men.

andycapps

I don't think I will ever understand why people get so upset about gay people. It's like some people lose all sense of reason when it comes to it.

Also I am not surprised by this. If there is one group of people that gets it the worst for being gay it is southern black men.

That's the truth. I'm wondering if any more athletes will come out now that he's taken a very gutsy step. Everybody else has been either retired or at the tail end of their career where they probably wouldn't get re-signed anyway.

mre

I don't get it, either.

If two gay people want to get married, who am I to say they shouldn't? Shit, the divorce rate for heterosexuals shits all over whatever sanctity of marriage exists infinitely more than allowing homosexuals to marry. Same for infidelity in marriage, yet people who cheat on their spouse do not face the same level of condemnation as homosexuals wanting to marry.
DE Terrell Stanley for ECU in critical condition after a car crash on the icy roads here. :/ No word on Ike Harris yet.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/icy-brid...ent/-/13530444/24428086/-/2ac7t9/-/index.html
Hope your player is okay.

jjasper

I don't get it, either.

If two gay people want to get married, who am I to say they shouldn't? Shit, the divorce rate for heterosexuals shits all over whatever sanctity of marriage exists infinitely more than allowing homosexuals to marry. Same for infidelity in marriage, yet people who cheat on their spouse do not face the same level of condemnation as homosexuals wanting to marry.

One thing that has always bothered me is when people try and say the sanctity of marriage and act like it was a product of religion. When marriage predates modern religions and was a thing families did to join together to increase their wealth resources and power with no religious association. They just added religion to it after the fact as it developed.

And yeah I really don't see how two gay people getting married affects my life or marriage.

Edit: and that sucks about the wreck. Ice is the worst. Nothing ever good comes from ice or freezing rain, fuck that shit.

Talon

Complete sidebar but the much touted 50% divorce rate is SEVERELY skewed by repeat divorcees.

This is your daily Talon random ass fact.

mre

Complete sidebar but the much touted 50% divorce rate is SEVERELY skewed by repeat divorcees.

This is your daily Talon random ass fact.
Wouldn't that be offset by repeat marriages?
According to the CDC, the divorce rate is currently greater than 50% of the marriage rate:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm said:
Marriage rate: 6.8 per 1,000 total population
Divorce rate: 3.6 per 1,000 population (44 reporting States and D.C.)

Talon

The CDC stat is saying there are 6.8 marriages for every 3.6 divorces. That does not mean 50% of all marriages end in divorce, which is how that's commonly (mis)interpreted.

The % of Americans between 25-34-year-olds that are divorced dropped for 2 consecutive decades. Unsurprisingly, the median marriage age rose over the same period of time (25.5/23.7 in '88, 28.4/26.5 in '09).

The 2000 Census shows 54.4% of Americans that are married with 9.7% of Americans are divorced. Obviously that doesn't account for remarried folks.

Here's a link to the American Community Survey with more recent data: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-13.pdf - this is specifically marriage events.

2000 Census:
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-30.pdf - Married status

Anyways, we're getting married later and the more educated of us are getting married less, which is another factor to consider.

Draxal

The weird thing in this whole story is that a guy named Mike Sam became a DE instead of a linebacker.

They were upset that his middle name wasn't William.

On the homosexuality issue, I think it's sad when parents don't accept the childdren's sexual preferences (except if they're extremely deviant, screw you pedoiphiles), but I'm wondering how much of it is tied to the patrilinearility of our soceity

mre

@KegsnEggs: This is, just, no. Next. RT @slmandel: Rules committee proposing 10-second defensive substitution period on every play.

@doug_keegan: NCAA Rules committee plots to kill hurry up offenses, prohibit snaps before 40 second play clock reaches 29 seconds.

@Mengus22: In the most NCAA thing ever, teams that snap the ball too fast will now be penalized for delay of game for not letting them delay the game.

Saban puttin' work in.

So the rules committee proposes adding one steaming pile of bullshit (play-clock thing) while proposing removing another steaming pile of bullshit (removing 15 yard penalty if targeting flag overturned).

AntoneM

Is the proposal that a snap before 29 seconds on the play clock is illegal or a snap before 10 seconds run off the play clock is illegal? The former has an easy work around, set the play clock to 30 seconds, lol.

Also, how does this work when running a hurry up to spike the ball? is that a penalty now?

Also, how does this work when running a hurry up to spike the ball? is that a penalty now?

Assuming all they say is, "You can't snap the ball before 29 on the play-clock," it seems it would be. Hope you got in position for your potential game-winning field goal attempt with at least 11 seconds left!

KingGondo

Banned
I'm also wondering how the mechanics would work. Say a defensive team waits until there are 31 seconds left on the play clock and substitutes a player. Would the offensive team have to wait until the sub is made and the defense is ready to snap the ball (which would presumably be with less than 29 seconds on the clock)?

Stupid ass rule. Things were fine before.

cdyhybrid

Bama should fire Saban if this rule goes through.

If you need to get rules changed to win when you have an entire roster of 5* players, it's time to move on.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
to me, not even the HUNH teams run that fast (11 seconds or less), but what they would do is hurry to the line, then meercat look back to the sideline for the play, and if the Defense dared to substitute, hike the ball for a free 5 yards. This penalty would end that.

Bruce Feldman ?@BFeldmanCBS · 3m
Text from a coach on new rules proposal: "the 2 coaches on the rules committee were 84th & 106th in plays run last year. C'mon man."

That would be Rutgers and Wake Forest, if it's this stat

or ULL and Air Force if it's this stat

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Word on the street is that Michael Brewer is attempting to appeal the transfer restrictions Tech placed on him. Apparently wants to go to either UT or TCU; aside from both team's needs at the position I would assume he wants to go to UT because he's from Austin and his dad played there and I would assume he wants to go to TCU because former Tech coach Sonnie Cumbie just got a job there to coach QBs.

I can't imagine that he would be granted the appeal after Mayfield lost his appeal for the same thing last month but I guess you never know. Mayfield was at least appealing on the grounds that he wasn't on scholarship, I don't know what Brewer's case would be based on other than the fact that he will have graduated. RB Charles Sims tried a similar appeal last season when he was leaving Houston (wanted to go to Tech) that wasn't granted so he ended up at West Virginia.

andycapps

In some ways I agree with a rule giving the defense time to sub if they want to. Guess the idea of putting the best 11 guys out there vs the best 11 guys is appealing to me. Catching the other team unprepared rather than beating them because you execute better is kind of meh.

Coaches who rely on speed rather than outscheming or outcoaching their opponents are going to hate this proposal.

cdyhybrid

Andy Staples
@Andy_Staples

13m ago
Love that the anti-hurry up rule proposal excludes final 2 min, AKA when the coaches who proposed it need to use a hurry up offense.

8m ago
Exactly. RT @ubox59: so its OK to be "unsafe" in final 2 minutes

1m ago
They're going to argue nobody snaps within 10. (Seen Baylor do it in 9.) But they'd run a dude out at 31 seconds every time and muck it up.

andycapps

The ironing here:

@Mark_Schlabach: Mike Leach: “That’s really insulting that they are hiding behind player safety just because somebody wants an advantage. That’s crazy.”

@Mark_Schlabach: Leach: My suggestion is rather than spending a bunch of time coming up with a bunch of really stupid rules, spend that time coaching harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom