• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

That Missouri ranking is positively bizarre. FSU below them despite Okie State, Notre Dame and UF? Come on, Sags!

Computer rankings preseason and really into the middle of the year are completely worthless (its why the BCS rankings don't come out till midseason). The reason Mizzou is so much higher is because the computer can't process the quality of the opponent and uses hypothetical outcomes. So having an extra game and it being away really impacts the rankings.

Also I know I am really late replying to this but I don't care.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dish Network to get the SEC Network:

Dish also agreed to carry Fusion, a new English-language news and entertainment channel that is a joint venture between Disney and Univision Communications, along with the SEC Network, a channel to be launched later this year by ESPN that will broadcast Southeastern Conference games.

Financial terms of the deal, such as how much Dish will pay for carriage rights, couldn't immediately be learned.

From the wall street journal

Main focus of the article is about Hopper:

Dish agreed to disable the "Auto Hop" ad-skipping feature for ABC shows until three days after the shows air. That period is important because advertisers pay for TV audiences measured up to three days after a show airs.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Urban Meyer underwent a medical procedure to address recent issues with headaches over the weekend, but the Ohio State coach will be on the field when his team opens spring practice.

According to the school, Meyer had a small collection of fluid removed that was tied to a congenital arachnoid cyst that was first discovered when he was an assistant at Notre Dame in 1998 and had been recently been causing him headaches.

cdyhybrid

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Urban Meyer underwent a medical procedure to address recent issues with headaches over the weekend, but the Ohio State coach will be on the field when his team opens spring practice.

According to the school, Meyer had a small collection of fluid removed that was tied to a congenital arachnoid cyst that was first discovered when he was an assistant at Notre Dame in 1998 and had been recently been causing him headaches.

It begins. Shouldn't have lost to Sparty.

Draxal

Man, BWI the PSU rivals board was the one responsbile for bringing down Sandusky. This is actually pretty amazing.

ONE EVENING IN October 2010, a Penn State football fan named Christopher Houser was reading Blue White Illustrated, a Nittany Lions fan site. He struck up a private chat with John McQueary II about whether Sandusky would ever coach again at PSU. John II told Houser that it was highly unlikely because his younger brother, Mike, had walked in on Sandusky and a boy in a locker room shower in the early 2000s.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10542793/the-whistleblower-last-stand

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You left out the part that apparently, Mike McQueary confided in players that he had been abused as a kid.

He also had a gambling problem while he was a player.

cdyhybrid

Coach Pete has suspended our 2013 backup QB (and theoretically the frontrunner for the starting job this year) and a stud frosh WR indefinitely for their role in a fight on the night of the Super Bowl. Additionally, one of our backup RBs is suspended temporarily for academic reasons, and our starting MLB is suspended temporarily for undisclosed reasons (supposedly he missed a lot of winter workouts).

I guess it's to be expected as a new coach changes routines and changes the culture within the program. Looks like he isn't messing around.

Talon

Coach Pete has suspended our 2013 backup QB (and theoretically the frontrunner for the starting job this year) and a stud frosh WR indefinitely for their role in a fight on the night of the Super Bowl. Additionally, one of our backup RBs is suspended temporarily for academic reasons, and our starting MLB is suspended temporarily for undisclosed reasons (supposedly he missed a lot of winter workouts).

I guess it's to be expected as a new coach changes routines and changes the culture within the program. Looks like he isn't messing around.
This makes me excited for the new USC (same as the old)!

andycapps

@LarryWilliamsTI: Dabo saved bombshell for end of his opening statement: DE Crawford, OT Anthony, OG D. Beasley and DB G. Peters suspended for opener vs. UGA.

I blame Mark Richt. So rare that a team is suspending players when they're playing us and not the other way around.

Crawford and Beasley were starters last year. Other two I'm told were expected to start this year. So this is a big blow.

I blame Mark Richt. So rare that a team is suspending players when they're playing us and not the other way around.

Crawford and Beasley were starters last year. Other two I'm told were expected to start this year. So this is a big blow.

Beasley was awful last year and was said to be competing for his starting spot this year. Crawford is kind of a blow but we have a ton of depth on the D-line. Shaq Anthony is the real hit since we don't really have anyone else to plug in at RT. Dabo is talking about plugging in a guard there for the game. You can probably figure out how well that's going to go. Anyway, have fun feasting on our first year starting QB!

andycapps

Beasley was awful last year and was said to be competing for his starting spot this year. Crawford is kind of a blow but we have a ton of depth on the D-line. Shaq Anthony is the real hit since we don't really have anyone else to plug in at RT. Dabo is talking about plugging in a guard there for the game. You can probably figure out how well that's going to go. Anyway, have fun feasting on our first year starting QB!

Who is the starting QB going to be anyway? Or is that TBD? I know Deshaun Watson is probably the QB of the future, but I guess it remains to be seen if he can beat out guys that have been there and behind Boyd. Sort of same situation we're in, except that there's no way the other QB's beat out Hutson Mason. He should have transferred a few years ago and started somewhere else. At least he has one year to do his thing, reminds me of situation that DJ Shockley was in when David Greene was the starting QB.

Who is the starting QB going to be anyway? Or is that TBD? I know Deshaun Watson is probably the QB of the future, but I guess it remains to be seen if he can beat out guys that have been there and behind Boyd. Sort of same situation we're in, except that there's no way the other QB's beat out Hutson Mason. He should have transferred a few years ago and started somewhere else. At least he has one year to do his thing, reminds me of situation that DJ Shockley was in when David Greene was the starting QB.

We have no idea right now. I think Cole Stoudt is the frontrunner since he's a senior. If Chad Kelly doesn't win the job this spring, I believe he'll transfer out because, like you said, Watson is the QB of the future. I think ideally they'd like to RS Watson, and I'd agree with that. Stoudt did have about an 80% completion percentage last season, and even went 19/20 in one game (it was against a DII school but still, 19/20 would be hard with no defense at all I would think). He's not really a runner though so I don't know if Morris is excited about a QB that can't get yards with his legs.

andycapps

We have no idea right now. I think Cole Stoudt is the frontrunner since he's a senior. If Chad Kelly doesn't win the job this spring, I believe he'll transfer out because, like you said, Watson is the QB of the future. I think ideally they'd like to RS Watson, and I'd agree with that. Stoudt did have about an 80% completion percentage last season, and even went 19/20 in one game (it was against a DII school but still, 19/20 would be hard with no defense at all I would think). He's not really a runner though so I don't know if Morris is excited about a QB that can't get yards with his legs.

Thing to think about with Stoudt, though I agree that probably best to redshirt Watson, is that he's not throwing to Watkins this year and your other receiver that went pro. I'm sure there will be other good receivers to throw to, but Watkins was a man among boys in college. You can't replace people like him. But it makes sense to me to start Stoudt, at least for the first half of the season until Watson gets some mop-up experience. Going on the road in his first game would be really hard for Watson.

Jeremy Pruitt was just interviewed on the radio and he said that our nose tackles are being told to lose weight. He doesn't want 350 lb behemoths like Grantham did. That's a clear change in strategy and speaks to what I've seen some recruits say that they're being told by Pruitt that we're a 4-3 defense.

cdyhybrid

RT @GeorgeSchroeder: BREAKING: In teleconference today, NCAA FB rules committee withdrew the 10-second rule proposal. http://t.co/qnaNPD2WgL

pInSJup.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Davis Webb has gained 18 pounds since the Holiday Bowl. He definitely needed to put on some pounds from where he was last season but that's a lot of weight to put on in only two months. Hope it's a case of an 18/19 year old just physically maturing and most of it is good weight.

::edit::
In an interview after the first day of Spring practice yesterday he elaborated; apparently he was up to 212 last Summer but then got sick and lost 50 pounds to get down to about 160. Was back up around 195 during the season, and now is back in the 210 range. Guess that's how he put on so much so quick; he was more "re-gaining" it than gaining it.

There's also the deluge of documents released from the Ed O'Bannon/NCAA case, that make it obvious that the NCAA knew about the "likenesses" of players being used in the NCAA games.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/28/5455374/obannon-vs-ncaa-football-ea-sports-video-games

Each point broken down. #2 is lol-worthy, because I know Alabama more or less did the Cease and Desist-cover your ass routine with that T-Town Menswear story from a couple years ago.

#3 is Nessler, the announcer for the game, recorded tons of last names, especially the ones for known players. Now, you'd figure yeah, Smith/Jones/Johnson/WIlliams and all the "often used" names would be in there, but some of the rarer ones are in there too.

There was one year where players could randomly get in academic or other forms of trouble and you had the choice of giving them an SEC style slap on the wrist or booting them from the program. If you racked up enough of these and were too lenient with your punishments the in game NCAA would reduce your scholarships.

I can't remember what year that was but I swear it came after the Maurice Clarett who played for the Ohio State University tried to go pro.

Talon

Yeah, NCAA definitely had those player's names recorded. I remember Dwayne Jarrett specifically.

No comment on whether I played Dynasty as SC.

There was one year where players could randomly get in academic or other forms of trouble and you had the choice of giving them an SEC style slap on the wrist or booting them from the program. If you racked up enough of these and were too lenient with your punishments the in game NCAA would reduce your scholarships.

I can't remember what year that was but I swear it came after the Maurice Clarett who played for the Ohio State University tried to go pro.

Think it was 2004

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
As it should.

And now for the correct change where the NCAA follows the NFL style of ref'ing the games, so the existing rules can be enforced.

Not sure if this was posted, but the NCAA also approved the use of an 8-man referee team in all conferences going forward. Last year was just a trial in the Big "12."

And I agree that there's no need for a rule change; the refs just need to man up and not get bullied by the coaches into marking the ball ready for play until they're ready and set.

andycapps

Not sure if this was posted, but the NCAA also approved the use of an 8-man referee team in all conferences going forward. Last year was just a trial in the Big "12."

And I agree that there's no need for a rule change; the refs just need to man up and not get bullied by the coaches into marking the ball ready for play until they're ready and set.

Right, and most of the time if they see the offense sub in a guy they wait for the defense to sub in a guy. As long as they do that consistently, no problems with me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
There are going to be a lot of reeeeeeeeeeally disappointed Texas Tech fans if we don't end up landing a commitment from QB Jarrett Stidham here pretty soon.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Long time until Signing Day.

Moreso than other positions, though, QBs tend to go off the board early and stay committed to who they commit to first.

He's been visiting Lubbock lately, talking up Tech on Twitter and in interviews, and basically hasn't said anything about any other schools for quite a while now. Lot of fans out there think that him committing to Tech is basically a 100% lock of an event at this point (though I'm not quite so optimistic).

andycapps

Moreso than other positions, though, QBs tend to go off the board early and stay committed to who they commit to first.

He's been visiting Lubbock lately, talking up Tech on Twitter and in interviews, and basically hasn't said anything about any other schools for quite a while now. Lot of fans out there think that him committing to Tech is basically a 100% lock of an event at this point (though I'm not quite so optimistic).

That is true. They like to commit and then focus on the rest of their season. From what I see online it looks like he's a lock in as much as you could consider that prior to a 17 year old kid announcing it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That is true. They like to commit and then focus on the rest of their season.
Not only that, but 1. the vast majority of schools only take one, and 2. they can't afford to wait around before moving on to somebody else.

If you look at OL or DL, for instance, each school is going to take a few of them every year (3+, generally) so even if a player at the top of your list commits to another school it doesn't stop you from working on/getting commits from your 2nd, 3rd, etc. choices or keep you from staying on that guy all the way until signing day hoping he'll ultimately flip to you. Even if you fill up the 4 slots at OL you wanted to fill you can generally squeeze in a 5th if somebody you really like is willing to flip to your school because they can all still get playing time. If a QB at the top of your list commits to another school, though, you can't afford to wait on them for very long or you could end up with nobody at all (as trying to flip #1 means #2 and #3 are actively committing elsewhere), but at the same time if you get a commitment from #2 or #3 then you often shut down QB recruiting completely and don't go after #1 anymore because you've filled the one QB slot you had open and it's less efficient to oversign that position as in an ideal situation you only have one guy playing meaningful minutes each year.

Limedust

... and here are the links:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...despread-usage-of-eight-man-officiating-crews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season

Just saw the targeting change. Great that they fixed that. I can't understand why it was ever the original way. "Upon further review, we were wrong. 15 yards, automatic first down."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom